Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 17494198 times)

Mortymore and 72 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline Kosmic

• Super Contributor
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #69775 on: September 18, 2020, 05:55:55 pm »
Replace the Schaeffner. Like, now.

Wait what ? can't see your message with all the smoke!

If his mains were 240V I agree, change it now. But it seems those filters rarely blow with mains of 120V which is what he has.

Interesting. It's true that the Schaeffner problem come mostly from Europe. I might try my luck.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2020, 07:16:49 pm by Kosmic »

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #69776 on: September 18, 2020, 05:58:30 pm »

Grrr... off to Home Despot to buy a SAE socket set for the 9/32" I need to take apart a mower.  |O

Got by up here for over a year with nuthin' but metric in my little bag o' dirty tricks, then I move into a place with an actual LAWN.  |O

mnem
meh.
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #69777 on: September 18, 2020, 05:59:35 pm »
Attempt 5 of toner transfer. Kill me. With a spoon.!

Remove all flame producing items out of the house before you do something stupid.  :o ;D

I'm warming up my can of isopropyl at the moment with the iron just to make sure  8)

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster

Offline SilverSolder

• Super Contributor
« Reply #69778 on: September 18, 2020, 06:04:30 pm »
It's quite scary how much old HP stuff you can get new parts for.

Don't say that out loud or some fuckwit management type at Keysight is gonna hear you and figure out a way to reduce costs by cutting inventory.

It's the commitment to doing things like keep decent stock of spares for a decent period of time that is what made choosing HP a no-brainer back in the day. With all the mergers, takeovers, demergers and other f'ing about in recent years I don't have the confidence in anything that was once part of HP in the way I used to have confidence in HP back before the f'ing about started.

It's a sign of the times -  airheads get in power and think things are easy to do, so let's just change them overnight just because.

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #69779 on: September 18, 2020, 06:04:51 pm »

Grrr... off to Home Despot to buy a SAE socket set for the 9/32" I need to take apart a mower.  |O

Got by up here for over a year with nuthin' but metric in my little bag o' dirty tricks, then I move into a place with an actual LAWN.  |O

mnem
meh.

Proof that metrication is such  :bullshit: :bullshit: :bullshit: :bullshit: :bullshit: :bullshit:  ;D
An old gray beard with an attitude.

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #69780 on: September 18, 2020, 06:08:11 pm »
...I hope fervently that nobody discovers my familiarity with the Siemens M-series. Those are strange machines.

In present company, you're ashamed of being too familiar with this...?  ???

It also appears you aren't the only one who has a unnatural relationship with their espresso machine...  >:D

https://www.nabto.com/the-coffeepi-part-1-of-2/

mnem
Dang.... now I'm missing bean again...
   Not exactly. And no, not the mobile phones either.

The process control computer series which was finally named Siemens Sicomp-M and which is behind anything nuclear build/supplied by Siemens in the special safety modified versions. Process control computers with votong logic in the HW.

I know.  >:D

Personally, I think the fact they recycled the "M-Series" plaque so many times was a inside joke somewhere... perpetrated by some grizzled old gnome who got stuck in middle management for half a century, or maybe just the ghost in the machine flexing its muscles a little. ;)

mnem
*off my runner*

alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline alextwin007

• Contributor
  • Collector of mini test equipment
« Reply #69781 on: September 18, 2020, 06:13:43 pm »
Not a counter.  :-DD

8600A was cheap..status unknown, but display works..
8200A was not cheap i actualy bidded up-to my max i almost stepped out...Then the seller said he watched my movies and he stopped the bidding and sold it to me :-)
But the NIXIES are still bright and teh meter seems to work fine,,,

I already have a 8600A, and an 8200A is on my short list.  I guess you beat me to it. :-DD
Having a test equipment addiction is difficult when you don't have a lot of room.  The solution, only collect small adorable test equipment.

Looking for a tek 1401 / 1401A, if you have one message me

The following users thanked this post: tonyalbus

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #69782 on: September 18, 2020, 06:14:13 pm »

mnem
meh.

Proof that metrication is such  :bullshit: :bullshit: :bullshit: :bullshit: :bullshit: :bullshit:  ;D

The way they've done it up here, yes it is.  :palm:

But the fact that B&S still uses that bastard size on all their stuff is no proof thereof... they'll still be that way when the oceans have boiled away under the heat death of our sun, and men are aught but fairy-tales in stories told by rabbits...

mnem
And there will STILL be outhouses in upstate New York.  >:D

The following users thanked this post: Neomys Sapiens

Offline Robert763

• Super Contributor
« Reply #69783 on: September 18, 2020, 06:16:23 pm »
My HP 8924C Radio Test Set must have sensed the presence of the 8920B downstairs. It's gone in huff and won't turn on  :-BROKE
4 Philips and 32 Torx fastners later and I've got the PSU out. Nothing on the +15V standby output so a definite PSU fault.
s it was working fine last time I used it I guessing a srt-up resistor gone high resistance. Another 17 screws and I'll have the lid off th PSU.

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #69784 on: September 18, 2020, 06:26:26 pm »

mnem
meh.

The way they've done it up here, yes it is.  :palm:

But the fact that B&S still uses that bastard size on all their stuff is no proof thereof... they'll still be that way when the oceans have boiled away under the heat death of our sun, and men are aught but fairy-tales in stories told by rabbits...

mnem
And there will STILL be outhouses in upstate New York.  >:D

Briggs and Stratton engines may be the most antiquated mechanical devices manufactured today but they run despite all the pinheads who never maintain them.

Tomorrow I have to go out and dig a new hole and move the outhouse.    :palm: :phew:
An old gray beard with an attitude.

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline capt bullshot

• Super Contributor
    • Mostly useless stuff, but nice to have: wunderkis.de
« Reply #69785 on: September 18, 2020, 06:37:58 pm »
Just got a private message recently thru Whatsapp from my local industrial complex recyler/salvager company, as I'm their regular addict buying customer.  :palm:

Them : Dude, got a new toy here, from our latest recyling from a factory, for you since you're regular, its cheeeepp  >:D
Me : Huh ? Whats that ?
Them : You do like zapping stuffs with high voltage right ? (last time they gave me a NOS 15KV neon sign transformer, as a gift (free) as part of the deal I made)
Me : Hmm .. well .. sort of and depends, but again whats that ?
Them : Its made in Korea, its quite heavy too, about 9kg (20lbs), and you do like heavy electronic stuffs right ?
Me : ... (Oh no, damn it  :'( ... they know my weak heart on these kinda things) ..
Them : It does output 0-5kV, and inside it has a big transformer "AND" a variac, want it ?
Me : ... (reading the words big transformer "AND" variac inside really ignited my interest) ...

... and later on ... after many chats exchanges, photos and bargaining ... for about $27 ... here I am with this thing.  ::)

As usual, don't need it, but at least I've done my obligatory TEA ritual properly, that hopefully made TEA's GOD happy, and getting closer to the promised TEA heaven gate, am I ?  :scared:  :palm:

Tear down photos coming next.

Kewl!

Yesterday, at work a colleague did scavenge a few parts (a 2A / 230V variac and a quite beefy looking HV transformer) from a similar unit. Would have taken them too, but he claimed first. The remains were properly scrapped.

Anyway, scrap fest at work yesterday ("Aufräumen befohlen" by DoD "Dragon of Department"), some random scored stuff:

Safety devices hinder evolution

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, ch_scr, Kosmic, tonyalbus

Offline capt bullshot

• Super Contributor
    • Mostly useless stuff, but nice to have: wunderkis.de
« Reply #69786 on: September 18, 2020, 06:45:05 pm »
As some of you might have expected, yesterday a package from Belgium was delivered to me:

What might be inside?
Some kind of Ice-TEA?

Safety devices hinder evolution

The following users thanked this post: BU508A, mnementh, bd139, tonyalbus

Offline Fungus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #69787 on: September 18, 2020, 06:48:40 pm »
I'm warming up my can of isopropyl at the moment with the iron just to make sure  8)

Am I the only one who uses a soldering iron to make cups of tea?

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, bd139

Offline Kosmic

• Super Contributor
« Reply #69788 on: September 18, 2020, 07:15:39 pm »
Replace the Schaeffner. Like, now.

Wait what ? can't see your message with all the smoke!

If his mains were 240V I agree, change it now. But it seems those filters rarely blow with mains of 120V which is what he has.

Who are you and what have you done with the grump-smurf?  The real med would NEVER recommend against "symphony-of-blunderbusses" style changing out anything with capacitance.

We all have a mellow side I guess.  ;D Notice I did NOT say you need to change it yesterday or risk airing out the house. With 120V you can do it whenever. Hell, both my 2465's still have their factory "whenevers" in them.  :=\ :-DD

On my side, I seen one 120V instrument with an exploded Rifa. Not happen to me directly, I bought the instrument with the Rifa already exploded. Probably why I got a good deal :-DD
« Last Edit: September 18, 2020, 07:20:03 pm by Kosmic »

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #69789 on: September 18, 2020, 07:22:35 pm »
Friday night fake finding part 1. MAV-11SVM. Bought a load of these for £2.80 or so. Figured it was worth a punt for half a pint at London prices.

So how do you test 'em? Well you can't really dead bug these easily so it's board time.

So kicad here we go:

Board output. I didn't bother with via studding which would probably improve the higher frequency end somewhat but there's not much point as the NanoVNA only really goes up to 300MHZ properly...

After 5 attempts of toner transfer (got the hang of it now  :-DD):

Board stuffed:

NanoVNA plot:

That'll do nicely. I only care for a roughly flat curve between 150-250MHz for this as it's an LO buffer amp for my slow and probably never going to be finished SA design I started on about 5 years ago :-DD. I suspect the top end flakeyness is related to shit board design or missing vias etc.

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, ch_scr, Kosmic, tonyalbus

Offline Kosmic

• Super Contributor
« Reply #69790 on: September 18, 2020, 07:25:06 pm »

Am I the only one who uses a soldering iron to make cups of tea?

Other than soldering, I only use it to light up my Cohibas.

Online factory

• Super Contributor
« Reply #69791 on: September 18, 2020, 07:35:48 pm »
Here are two of this weeks purchases, a pair of HP 3490A Multimeters (first I've seen on ePay UK for a long time), as expected neither are working, one only displays zeros and the other does pass the first self test (logic test) but not much else works.

Also never realized these have a lot of case parts made from cheese, the top & bottom of the front panel are falling apart, as are the brackets inside that hold the internal chassis (lot of bits rattling around inside the bottom one), I bet Keyshite don't have replacements for those.  |O On the plus side they both have a full set of feet.  :-+

Also arrived this week is a HP 5340A, still waiting for an unusual 4 digit Erie counter that uses some odd triodes & dekatrons inside.

David

P.S. Finally remembered to escalate the smashed number readout bulbs™ from China on ePay, they refunded very quickly, the seller kept wasting my time repeating "would a partial or 50% refund be OK?" no thanks.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2020, 07:53:08 pm by factory »

The following users thanked this post: BU508A, med6753, Specmaster, bd139, Kosmic, AVGresponding, tonyalbus

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #69792 on: September 18, 2020, 07:53:20 pm »
mnem
Dang.... now I'm missing bean again...
I'll give him a nudge/elbow for ya.
Had a wee chat with him a couple days back and he's doing gardening  :o but he's all good.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist.
Some stuff seen @ Siglent HQ cannot be shared.

The following users thanked this post: Brumby, mnementh, Specmaster, wolfy007, Kosmic

Offline Robert763

• Super Contributor
« Reply #69793 on: September 18, 2020, 07:58:50 pm »
8924C now fixed.
Not a start-up resistor, bad capacitor in the 15V standby circuit. 47uF 50V read 41uF. Didn't bother with ESR. Repalcement fixed it.
I wish I could claim credit but for a brillant bit of diagnostics on a complex hard to work on SMPSU but I can't. I actually had an old PDF from unkown source, probably the old Yahoo groups, that Ihad kept. Titled Repairing the 8924C Powe Supply. The author of the PDF is unknown and Interestingly it had gone from the WWW. No sign of it when I searched. Fortunatly I make a habit of keeping local copies of this sort of data. You can never be sure if it will be on the web when you need it. These are the new dark ages. There is now a copy on the 8920 IO group. Thank you whoever you are. :clap:

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, bd139, Kosmic, tonyalbus

Offline SilverSolder

• Super Contributor
« Reply #69794 on: September 18, 2020, 08:14:22 pm »
8924C now fixed.
Not a start-up resistor, bad capacitor in the 15V standby circuit. 47uF 50V read 41uF. Didn't bother with ESR. Repalcement fixed it.
I wish I could claim credit but for a brillant bit of diagnostics on a complex hard to work on SMPSU but I can't. I actually had an old PDF from unkown source, probably the old Yahoo groups, that Ihad kept. Titled Repairing the 8924C Powe Supply. The author of the PDF is unknown and Interestingly it had gone from the WWW. No sign of it when I searched. Fortunatly I make a habit of keeping local copies of this sort of data. You can never be sure if it will be on the web when you need it. These are the new dark ages. There is now a copy on the 8920 IO group. Thank you whoever you are. :clap:

Agree about keeping local copies.  The Internet is akin to quicksand in many ways...

Offline Kosmic

• Super Contributor
« Reply #69795 on: September 18, 2020, 08:20:01 pm »
8924C now fixed.

Agree about keeping local copies.  The Internet is akin to quicksand in many ways...

The way back machine is working sometimes https://archive.org/web/

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #69796 on: September 18, 2020, 08:21:22 pm »
Well it turns out she called me after I posted this morning. She did not feel well last night with some sort of stomach bug and was hoping she'd feel better this morning. Not the case. She called out of work today and won't be coming up this weekend. She'll come up next weekend. So.....I can resume my bad boy activities and the first thing I did was go back to bed and nap for a few hours. Such a rebel I am.  >:D :P :-DD

And here is your T-Shirt:

:-DD
“Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought. It always defeats order, because it is better organized.”            - Terry Pratchett -

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, Specmaster, tonyalbus

Offline Kosmic

• Super Contributor
« Reply #69797 on: September 18, 2020, 08:23:16 pm »
Impressive, got a seller on ebay refund me part of the shipping fee because is estimate (auto calculated?) was higher than the real cost. I think I never seen anyone doing that.

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, tonyalbus

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #69798 on: September 18, 2020, 08:23:36 pm »
Attempt 5 of toner transfer. Kill me. With a spoon.!

It will be deliverd by the Sheriff of Nottingham?  Oh dear ....   :-DD
“Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought. It always defeats order, because it is better organized.”            - Terry Pratchett -

The following users thanked this post: bd139

Offline mansaxel

• Super Contributor
  • SA0XLR
    • My very static home page
« Reply #69799 on: September 18, 2020, 08:23:49 pm »
These are the new dark ages. There is now a copy on the 8920 IO group. Thank you whoever you are. :clap:

Yes, disk is cheap. I'm slowly building a stash of manuals and other docs. Everything I buy (and that is not only TE, I did the same with our new fridge / freezer pair.), I try to find the electronic manual for and save a local copy. If I'm interested in some gear, even before I've got it, I try to get the docs. Patience and mad google skills are worth a lot. And local caching!

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf