Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 17488109 times)

duckduck, wolfy007, Ice-Tea, Robert763 and 57 Guests are viewing this topic.

Online wolfy007

• Regular Contributor
  • Back into electronics again, as a hobby this time.
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #69275 on: September 12, 2020, 01:51:10 pm »
All I know is we're all miserable wankers  :-DD

Curve tracer fun. I have a semi working tracer now although the vertical amp is limited to about 60V running off the 6206B at the moment. Also the pass transistor, a BD139 is getting a little hot because I'm waiting for a more suitable replacement.

Disapointing if you didnt use it!   ::)

Looking good though!

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #69276 on: September 12, 2020, 01:58:20 pm »
I've never had a problem with the GSP, as a buyer or a seller, it takes the hassle factor out as far as I'm concerned.
The GSP creates issues. Things are sometimes repackaged in terrible ways and subsequently get damaged, leaving seller and purchaser in an awkward position, shipping can take ages and reclaiming VAT as a business is flat out impossible. I've never been able to figure it out but I have a feeling they're somehow making money on some kind of VAT scheme.

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #69277 on: September 12, 2020, 02:05:14 pm »
By the same token, it is a charming conceit amongst Brits, that they "stood alone".
The Commonwealth countries may well say:-"What are we, chopped liver?"

A general rule to go by with "the Mother Country" is that we all regarded as "British" when there is something particularly nasty going for Brits.
Other times, we are "Someone they don't know well, think they made the coffee, or something."

I don't think anybody says that any more and generally when it was said it was said by idiots who weren't there. My father fought alongside Indians and Gurkhas, we conspicuously had RAF squadrons styled like 123 (Canadian) Squadron during the Battle of Britain (just under 73,000 Canadians served in the Air Force in Britain alone in WWII, 100,000 Canadians served in the RCAF in Canada training pilots from all over the Commonwealth).

We even risked letting some of your lot loose over here, like 456 Squadron flying night fighters out of Anglesey. Had to keep them somewhere isolated because, for the life of them, they couldn't brew a proper cup of tea and we had to protect the natives from being offended by the sacrilege - you do not boil the tea leaves in a billy can and you don't put the milk in from a live sheep! The claim that the Australians insisted on being posted there in Wales because there were sheep is, I'm sure, a scurrilous rumour.  :)

But of course you fail to mention that there were American volunteers in the RAF too. Can't do that. It would invalidate your rant.

Damn Yankees.  :rant:

<---------- Uncivilized, Un-PC, unapologetic.

A few individuals no doubt, so what's your thesis, that those few individuals kept us going until you lot graciously turned up over  two years late and then tried to take all the credit? And there's no rant, I (and everybody else in the world whose country was on the allied side) just get fed up of Americans who claim they won the whole thing and take credit for the world not being under Nazi rule when in fact America (as a whole) strenuously avoided getting involved until it was stuffed in their faces by Pearl Harbour. We're grateful you finally joined in, but we're a bit pissed off that a bunch of people we like to regard as friends try take all the credit despite dodging the whole thing for over two of the five years the war was on.

It's a bit like inviting your mates over for a weekend decorating party. The Commonwealth guys, the Mediterraneans,  the Africans, the Russians and the European guys turn up on Friday night and get stuck in, the Americans turn up on Saturday afternoon with a hangover and finally start helping, then eventually we all go over and help decorate the Americans' place too. By Monday morning they're telling everybody that it was them that did all the work in both places and it wouldn't have happened without them. Then they insist you repay them for the can of paint that they bought you when they know you're stony broke. That would be insulting wouldn't it?
Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, Specmaster, bd139

Offline Zucca

• Supporter
  • EE meid in Itali
« Reply #69278 on: September 12, 2020, 02:23:54 pm »
Meanwhile 3D Printering process is now started, learning FreeCAD at the moment.

3DP is so much fun I see already my money burning there to get new upgrades and toys.
Can't know what you don't love. St. Augustine
Can't love what you don't know. Zucca

The following users thanked this post: bd139, ch_scr

Offline SilverSolder

• Super Contributor
« Reply #69279 on: September 12, 2020, 02:24:01 pm »
WWII started 80 years ago... 

WWI  started 106 years ago.   That's only ~30% more!   

As time goes, they will only get closer and closer to each other, relative to the present!

So, why is WWI so rarely discussed, considering it is not really that much further away in time??

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #69280 on: September 12, 2020, 02:31:29 pm »
I'm not going to banter back and forth with you but I will make a few points....

No, I'm not saying that we Americans take all the credit for winning WW2. It was a joint Allied effort. But I think I can claim with certainty that if we weren't kicked in the ass at Pearl Harbor and forced to join in Europe today would be a totally different place. Despite winning the Battle of Brittan in the air which squashed German invasion plans at SOME point they would have tried again. And it would have been a blood bath.

And...even though we were officially neutral up until 12/07/41 where were most of those supply ships coming from and going to and being decimated by the U boats? Gee, lemme think.  |O     
« Last Edit: September 12, 2020, 02:34:35 pm by med6753 »
An old gray beard with an attitude.

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #69281 on: September 12, 2020, 02:32:46 pm »
Guys, could we have these discussions in Discord tonight?

Thanks.
“Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought. It always defeats order, because it is better organized.”            - Terry Pratchett -

The following users thanked this post: ch_scr

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #69282 on: September 12, 2020, 02:38:16 pm »
In #somewhere-else :D

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #69283 on: September 12, 2020, 02:39:04 pm »
WWII started 80 years ago... 

WWI  started 106 years ago.   That's only ~30% more!   

As time goes, they will only get closer and closer to each other, relative to the present!

So, why is WWI so rarely discussed, considering it is not really that much further away in time??
I don't think you can regard them as entirely separate events. It was the final horrible crescendo after what essentially were centuries of European turmoil. Few people realise how peaceful Europe has been since, in no small part due to concerted efforts to not let it happen again. I feel politics today might look very different if people understood this part of history better and felt its relevance more urgently.

That being said, I think WWII is discussed more because many of us have known people who've lived through it. Living memory is only just dying out. It also seems the world and society during WWII looked much more like today's than during WWI and people may have an easier time identifying with the suffering. Few of us can really imagine what it was to endure trench warfare.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2020, 02:56:02 pm by Mr. Scram »

The following users thanked this post: SilverSolder, Specmaster

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #69284 on: September 12, 2020, 02:40:09 pm »
Guys, could we have these discussions in Discord tonight?

Thanks.

You're right. We are polluting the thread with senseless political banter. I apologize and will say no more on the subject.

Edit....I need a project. Haven't got anything pressing. Guess I'll go off to Ebay.  :-DD
« Last Edit: September 12, 2020, 02:42:03 pm by med6753 »

The following users thanked this post: BU508A, Specmaster, bd139

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #69285 on: September 12, 2020, 02:44:13 pm »
Make something new :)

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #69286 on: September 12, 2020, 02:48:23 pm »
Well, it does look like mission accomplished......

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/repair/newbie-with-tek-465/

The following users thanked this post: bd139, Kosmic

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #69287 on: September 12, 2020, 03:22:06 pm »
That's what you get for moving to an arctic wasteland.  :P

He's being a drama queen. That's 7 C or 45 F. Meh...... ::) :-DD

We all figured that out, what with him now living in a country with civilised units and all, but it's early September (23º Science outside here at the moment) and 7º is a tad cool for the time of year when one ought to still be able to promenade in the evenings in nothing more than a light jacket with, perhaps, a cane to ward off Yankee ruffians.

Well, no... its been 20s for weeks now. That's a big swing is all. :-//

EDIT: Personally, this weather is heaven to me. I go out in this stuff in tee-shirt & shorts. My wife, OTOH, is a petite flower and does not so enjoy the cold; as she was in the bed next to me, I decided to err on the side of domestic bliss. ;)

mnem
« Last Edit: September 12, 2020, 03:55:20 pm by mnementh »
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #69288 on: September 12, 2020, 03:32:18 pm »
I think I need a consult. Potential eBay buyer:

(SNIP)
Him:

Meine Bank wird Sie bitten, mir die folgenden Details per E-Mail zu senden, damit ich die Zahlung vornehmen kann.

DEIN NAME
IBAN
EMAIL
ARTIKELNAME
GESAMTKOSTEN

Vielen Dank, dass wir bald von Ihnen hören

Hier ist meine E-Mail (xxx@gmail.com)

At this point I'm thinking scammer and I'm sure I'm not sending him anything outside eBay. Thoughts?

That's screaming SCAM right in your face, don't walk away from it, run!

McBryce.

Yeah... alll those Nigerian Princes have had to fall back on honest work with the COVID thang...  :-DD

Run, don't walk, to the nearest exit. Also immediately report the user to eBay as soliciting business outside of proper channels. eBay guards their cut very jealously.

mnem
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #69289 on: September 12, 2020, 03:36:48 pm »
I don't think you can regard them as entirely separate events. It was the final horrible crescendo after what essentially were centuries of European turmoil. Few people realise how peaceful Europe has been since, in no small part due to concerted efforts to not let it happen again. I feel politics today might look very different if people understood this part of history better and felt its relevance more urgently.

Too true. I have a sneaking suspicion that as the people who experienced WWII first and second hand die out that the lessons learned first hand (and passed on emphatically to the next generation i.e. mine) are being forgotten. The old saw "Those that don't learn history are condemned to repeat it" is most definitely true and perhaps it requires a slightly more 'gut felt' appreciation of history rather than an academic one for the lessons of history to be remembered.

That being said, I think WWII is discussed more because many of us have known people who've lived through it. Living memory is only just dying out. It also seems the world and society during WWII looked much more like today's than during WWI and people may have an easier time identifying with the suffering. Few of us can really imagine what it was to endure trench warfare.

Also WWI is more embarrassing to remember our own countries' part in, whatever side of it our countries were on, because it was a stupid mess all around, from how it started all the way through to how it was fought. No nation involved can honestly feel that its own part in WWI was in any way creditable if they are realistic with themselves.

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #69290 on: September 12, 2020, 03:48:29 pm »
By the same token, it is a charming conceit amongst Brits, that they "stood alone".
The Commonwealth countries may well say:-"What are we, chopped liver?"

A general rule to go by with "the Mother Country" is that we all regarded as "British" when there is something particularly nasty going for Brits.  Other times, we are "Someone they don't know well, think they made the coffee, or something."

I don't think anybody says that any more and generally when it was said it was said by idiots who weren't there. My father fought alongside Indians and Gurkhas, we conspicuously had RAF squadrons styled like 123 (Canadian) Squadron during the Battle of Britain (just under 73,000 Canadians served in the Air Force in Britain alone in WWII, 100,000 Canadians served in the RCAF in Canada training pilots from all over the Commonwealth).

We even risked letting some of your lot loose over here, like 456 Squadron flying night fighters out of Anglesey. Had to keep them somewhere isolated because, for the life of them, they couldn't brew a proper cup of tea and we had to protect the natives from being offended by the sacrilege - you do not boil the tea leaves in a billy can and you don't put the milk in from a live sheep! The claim that the Australians insisted on being posted there in Wales because there were sheep is, I'm sure, a scurrilous rumour.  :)

Keeping their cohorts close.  >:D

https://pieceoplastic.com/2004/05/25/sheep-are-evil/

mnem

Offline capt bullshot

• Super Contributor
    • Mostly useless stuff, but nice to have: wunderkis.de
« Reply #69291 on: September 12, 2020, 03:48:47 pm »
I think I need a consult. Potential eBay buyer:
[snip]
At this point I'm thinking scammer and I'm sure I'm not sending him anything outside eBay. Thoughts?

Either scam or just an Vollidiot. But my guess would be scam. Wouldn't send him anything.

Safety devices hinder evolution

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #69292 on: September 12, 2020, 03:50:53 pm »
Run, don't walk, to the nearest exit. Also immediately report the user to eBay as soliciting business outside of proper channels. eBay guards their cut very jealously.

I had one of the usual scumbags trying it on with me recently as I was trying to get a "not as described" refund out of them. They kept on trying to fudge the issue with partial refund offers and claims about their policy not permitting refunds while a dispute was open yada, yada, yada - all outside of eBay while appearing to play sweet and nice inside the official dispute 'thread' - dragging the whole thing out. It all stopped stopped the moment I copied their 'outside eBay' emails into the official eBay dispute thread, and about an hour later I had a refund with no further remarks from them. It's almost as if they didn't want anybody from eBay to actually read the content of the dispute. Ebay's response to trying to cut them out anywhere along the line is so robust that they would have thrown a wobbler and punished the vendor right royally.

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, Specmaster

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #69293 on: September 12, 2020, 04:01:56 pm »

Well done, ya cantankerous old galoot.  :-+

mnem
keep the faith. *chest thump*

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #69294 on: September 12, 2020, 04:09:52 pm »
...Had to keep them somewhere isolated because, for the life of them, they couldn't brew a proper cup of tea and we had to protect the natives from being offended by the sacrilege - you do not boil the tea leaves in a billy can and you don't put the milk in from a live sheep!

Ummmm... so the correct way would be milk from... a... dead sheep...?  :o

Just what kind of pervy tea clubs do you hang out in, earth-pig?  :-DD

mnem
Oh wait... you hang out in here. I'll just shut up now...  :P

Offline Saskia

• Super Contributor
  • you unlock this door with the key of imagination
« Reply #69295 on: September 12, 2020, 05:01:39 pm »
I have one seller that owes me a mainboard since April, unfortunately this was not paid via paypal.
This will go to the fraud folks at the local prosecutor's office.

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #69296 on: September 12, 2020, 05:07:37 pm »
...Had to keep them somewhere isolated because, for the life of them, they couldn't brew a proper cup of tea and we had to protect the natives from being offended by the sacrilege - you do not boil the tea leaves in a billy can and you don't put the milk in from a live sheep!

Ummmm... so the correct way would be milk from... a... dead sheep...?  :o

One buys a bottle of milk from the shops like a civilised person; sheep's milk if that is one's fancy. One does not dangle the poor sheep, bleating, over one's billy can full of hot tea and squeeze the poor thing in places a lady should not be squeezed, at least not until one has been properly introduced and most certainly not in public over a cup of tea. There are also the employment effects to be considered - it would have been ungentlemanly to deny the dairy maids of 1940s Wales their living.

Just what kind of pervy tea clubs do you hang out in, earth-pig?  :-DD

I drink coffee, beer, or red wine, not tea.

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, Specmaster

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #69297 on: September 12, 2020, 05:07:49 pm »

Well done, ya cantankerous old galoot.  :-+

mnem
keep the faith. *chest thump*

Well, not so fast. There's more. Read the latest. But we are close.  :phew:

Offline capt bullshot

• Super Contributor
    • Mostly useless stuff, but nice to have: wunderkis.de
« Reply #69298 on: September 12, 2020, 05:42:16 pm »
I have one seller that owes me a mainboard since April, unfortunately this was not paid via paypal.
This will go to the fraud folks at the local prosecutor's office.

Good luck with that. Long time ago, a similar case a friend of mine had, was just "Eingestellt wegen Geringfügigkeit" by the prosecutor (cancelled due to low impact).
Safety devices hinder evolution

Offline mansaxel

• Super Contributor
  • SA0XLR
    • My very static home page
« Reply #69299 on: September 12, 2020, 05:56:03 pm »

I drink coffee, beer, or red wine, not tea.

Today, we're diving into chinese cooking, deep-frying chicken and whatnot. Obvious moment to get a 2015 Riesling out of the fridge.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf