Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 16738338 times)

Henrik_V and 117 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #68750 on: September 05, 2020, 02:00:07 pm »
I make an offer as a seller. I never allow offers from buyers on my auctions because quite frankly everyone wants too much of a bargain.

You couldn't possibly be hinting at any of your TEA colleagues here. No, you couldn't be. Perish the thought.

No you guys are too cheap for my sales  :-DD. I jest; if you want, make me an offer via PM on here instead of ebay.

Those versed in BD139 antics PM him. Now we know the peeling we can do on the price potato...  :-DD

There would be a decent deal for any TEA thread members on anything I'm selling. I don't need to sell for profit or as an earner; it's just a good way of disposing of something with a side effect of generating some cash :)

Online tonyalbus

• Frequent Contributor
  • To better understand, you need to open it ;-)
    • My Channel
« Reply #68751 on: September 05, 2020, 02:50:15 pm »
Received an 8050A today, sold as "used". I believe a more accurate term would be "borked".

Think i have a 8050A around in my pile if you need comparison material when you decide to repair.

I'd like to take you up on this offer if I may.

I'd like your measurements of RV1, 2, and 3 to start with. They show infinite resistance here, which I'm sure is not correct...

No Problem AVG... but will be after Monday... just packing the car, i prommesed a friend to prepare his fuse/powerbox in his house from 1-fase to 3-fase..
replace the whole fusebox and main switches from his house... Monday the network will switch him over... (the part that is sealed.)..
what an idea for a weekend... me and my big mouth  :palm: :palm:
send ma a DM .. then i dont forget..
@Terra your Trio scope pictures are comming...its still on my list, i did not forget..
Electronics enthusiast, TEA and Radio Amateur (PE1ONS)
Marconi  - TTi - Thandar - Thurmbly - HP - Fluke - Philips - Siglent - Owon - TEK - Anritsu - Keithley - AVO - BG7TBL
https://www.youtube.com/TonyAlbus

The following users thanked this post: AVGresponding

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #68752 on: September 05, 2020, 03:38:07 pm »
Balls’ed up the curve tracer design. To test a couple of device families and common base configuration I need an isolated collector and step supply. Back to the drawing board  :-DD

Edit: fixed it. Optoisolator to the rescue  :phew:
« Last Edit: September 05, 2020, 04:19:24 pm by bd139 »

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster

Offline dgminala

• Contributor
« Reply #68753 on: September 05, 2020, 04:47:51 pm »
Awesome - I don't think I've ever seen an 8 decade box before!  :D

It is a bit OTT, isn't it :)

Mind you, I think the 7-decade Kelvin-Varley Dividers are more interesting. I have one of these https://www.eevblog.com/forum/metrology/teardownjulie_reasearch_labs_vdr1067_vdr307_kelvin_varley_voltage_divider/msg1103686/#msg1103686 and there's no way I'm tearing it down! Look at the specs: resolution 0.1 ppm, accuracy 1 ppm, stability 1 ppm/year.

Makes 300ppm look anaemic :)

I really like my ESI DB 655 and 877 becuse they are so compact and 0.01% 6 an 8 decades.
I've got a JR106/7 too, very nice and based on their precision decades.
I anyone wants a KVD that beats BU508A's decade box for size I have a Pye "Standard Potentiometer" KVD, Bridge, and other bits in big wooden box. about 4' x 18" x 12" It has Pye "6001" instrument switches with 0.7mOhm resistance.
£10, collection only from somewere near it's "birthplace" Newmarket Rd Cambridge UK.

I have an ESI DB655 as well.  Lovely instrument and in recent cal.  Do you (or anyone) have the manual, instruction sheet or even a brochure giving the full specs for it?  I've looked everywhere I can think of for any documentation, but no luck. 
ESI instruments (now manufactured by IET) were (and still are) some of the best bench standards around. 

Thanks
DaveM

Offline mansaxel

• Super Contributor
  • SA0XLR
    • My very static home page
« Reply #68754 on: September 05, 2020, 05:19:32 pm »

replace the whole fusebox and main switches from his house... Monday the network will switch him over... (the part that is sealed.)..
what an idea for a weekend... me and my big mouth  :palm: :palm:

Quite nice weekend, I'd say. Did it in a TEA fashion for my brother-in-law a couple weeks ago.

And, three-phase mains supply to the home is a human right.

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #68755 on: September 05, 2020, 05:24:42 pm »
@bd139, I never ever send out offers, makes it look like you're desperate to get shot of the item or are desperate for the money it will bring in. Also I never pack it up before it is sold as eBay recommend that you photograph the packing process in various stages showing your eBay ID on a piece of paper with the date written on it as well to avoid buyer claiming that they did not receive what they ordered or that your packing process was inadequate and the item arrived badly damaged. Also should the package get munted badly by the carrier, then your photos will serve to show just how the item was packed to protect it during transit, to prevent them from claiming it was your fault for not packing correctly in the first instance.
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #68756 on: September 05, 2020, 05:31:18 pm »
@bd139, I never ever send out offers, makes it look like you're desperate to get shot of the item or are desperate for the money it will bring in. Also I never pack it up before it is sold as eBay recommend that you photograph the packing process in various stages showing your eBay ID on a piece of paper with the date written on it as well to avoid buyer claiming that they did not receive what they ordered or that your packing process was inadequate and the item arrived badly damaged. Also should the package get munted badly by the carrier, then your photos will serve to show just how the item was packed to protect it during transit, to prevent them from claiming it was your fault for not packing correctly in the first instance.

I don't see any harm in sending offers. I've no evidence that it puts people off.

I haven't seen that fleabay advice, but automatically do everything except for showing the ebayid. I'll do that in the future.

So far, touch wood, I've only had one problem. I sent a couple of connectors second class and they didn't arrive. It was no problem; I just sent a couple more. Since the connectors were more-or-less free to me, I only lost the cost of the postage.
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #68757 on: September 05, 2020, 05:36:03 pm »

Yeah I photograph the packaging when I’m packing it.

Looking desperate is good for the buyer’s perception  :-DD

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline AVGresponding

• Super Contributor
  • Exploring Rabbit Holes Since The 1970s
« Reply #68758 on: September 05, 2020, 05:41:24 pm »
Ok, here it is, the shit-show you've all been waiting for, the Keithley 2000 unboxing and post mortem...

Fair warning, this is a pic and vid heavy post.

It's here! In a box! And it's not heavy enough to contain a brick! In fact it's very light... let's open it

Seemed a bit loose inside the outer box... only one layer of small bubble wrap? Good grief...

He's taken a left hook to the jaw, I bet that hurt

The display filter stuck back down ok, the sagging chassis will require some brute force and ignorance to bend back. Worked the front/rear input switch a few times, feels a bit spongy to me.

Strip and give me twenty, you maggot!

Hmm, so that's why the chassis sags at the front, the transformer is at that end and its mass would have done the damage when it was dropped. Transformer at the front? wth... did Ferdinand Porsche design this thing? It's at the wrong end m8...
The input selector switch is spongy because the plastic pushrod is flimsy as.

Found some evidence of the previous owner's adventures:

Nope, that's not a rolled up map of Cassiopeia, it's a 3A glass M205 in witness mode.

More evidence:

I bet that made him jump!   :-DD

Oh well, time to plug it in and turn it on. If it's dead, it's dead.

*shnnk*  *click*

Let's start with some voltage measurements (very short vid clips):

Not three bad! Let's try current:

Close enough for Hebden Bridge.
The 8840A can't follow us where we're going...

Let's check the wobbly voltage measuring:

Ok, what about ohms?

Hmm, that's not good news. Not for the meter, it's close enough to the 8840A, but that's a 100K 0.1% resistor. I trust the meters ahead of the resistor, must have drifted, it is 25 years old. About the same as the Keithley...   :-//
I'll have to dig out the rest of them and see if they're all the same.

Low ohms:

Even in Lo ohms mode, the 289 can't compete with the 4-wire capabilities of the bench boys.

Well, that about wraps it up for now. Now I just have to rearrange my damn meter stack AGAIN   :palm:
nuqDaq yuch Dapol?
Addiction count: Agilent-AVO-BlackStar-Brymen-Chauvin Arnoux-Fluke-GenRad-Hameg-HP-Keithley-IsoTech-Mastech-Megger-Metrix-Micronta-Racal-RFL-Siglent-Solartron-Tektronix-Thurlby-Time Electronics-TTi-UniT

The following users thanked this post: BU508A, mnementh, Specmaster, bd139, ch_scr, Kosmic, syau, TorinoFermic, BILLPOD, tonyalbus

Offline Robert763

• Super Contributor
« Reply #68759 on: September 05, 2020, 05:41:37 pm »
Awesome - I don't think I've ever seen an 8 decade box before!  :D

It is a bit OTT, isn't it :)

Mind you, I think the 7-decade Kelvin-Varley Dividers are more interesting. I have one of these https://www.eevblog.com/forum/metrology/teardownjulie_reasearch_labs_vdr1067_vdr307_kelvin_varley_voltage_divider/msg1103686/#msg1103686 and there's no way I'm tearing it down! Look at the specs: resolution 0.1 ppm, accuracy 1 ppm, stability 1 ppm/year.

Makes 300ppm look anaemic :)

I really like my ESI DB 655 and 877 becuse they are so compact and 0.01% 6 an 8 decades.
I've got a JR106/7 too, very nice and based on their precision decades.
I anyone wants a KVD that beats BU508A's decade box for size I have a Pye "Standard Potentiometer" KVD, Bridge, and other bits in big wooden box. about 4' x 18" x 12" It has Pye "6001" instrument switches with 0.7mOhm resistance.
£10, collection only from somewere near it's "birthplace" Newmarket Rd Cambridge UK.

I have an ESI DB655 as well.  Lovely instrument and in recent cal.  Do you (or anyone) have the manual, instruction sheet or even a brochure giving the full specs for it?  I've looked everywhere I can think of for any documentation, but no luck. 
ESI instruments (now manufactured by IET) were (and still are) some of the best bench standards around. 

Thanks
DaveM

See DB 877 manual below. The 655 is basically the same but only 3 decades per stack.

Offline McBryce

• Super Contributor
« Reply #68760 on: September 05, 2020, 06:02:28 pm »
Ok, here it is, the shit-show you've all been waiting for, the Keithley 2000 unboxing and post mortem...

It's here! In a box! And it's not heavy enough to contain a brick! In fact it's very light... let's open it

Winner, winner, chicken dinner!

McBryce.
30 Years making cars more difficult to repair.

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #68761 on: September 05, 2020, 06:06:05 pm »
That was considerably less of a shit show than I was expecting. Congratulations  :-DD

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #68762 on: September 05, 2020, 06:14:49 pm »
Here is a question for the team, I'm trying to repair my sons electric toothbrush which will only run if its just it's just been taken off charge. Ah ha, me thinks, duff battery, I open it up and measure the voltage across the Ni-MH battery when it is off charge, which was 1.44V but the brush will not run. Connect the brush upto a bench supply and give it 1.76V for a few seconds and the brush will switch on when the button is pressed and will continue running, even if I drop the voltage down to .7V.  :-//

Pop the brush back onto its wireless charger base and the voltage across the battery terminals rises upto around 1.78V and the brush will start after a few seconds or so of being on the base. If I remove the battery and pop it back onto the charger base once again, the voltage across the battery terminals instantly rises upto 4.2V but the brush will not run.

I'm assuming that this is because the wireless charger is incapable of providing sufficient power to run the ultrasonic motor  :-//

So my question is, what is the maximum theoretical voltage that Ni-MH battery could be charged upto?  :popcorn:
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #68763 on: September 05, 2020, 06:20:59 pm »
Something definitely wrong there. Fully charged is around 1.4V. Are there two in series? Possible one has gone short

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #68764 on: September 05, 2020, 06:26:23 pm »
@AVGresponding.
That is a great score after all, but it could have turned so very different, especially considering the piss poor packaging the seller provided it with for the couriers rat run that each parcel is subjected to, as witnessed by the drop and the chassis bending and display filter shifting  :palm: I really don't understand ow anyone can expect a delicate piece of equipment is fully protected by such a flimsy amount of bubble wrap.  If I only have bubble wrap to wrap something in before sticking it in its box, I always make sure that there is at least 50mm of wrap on all side of the meter with upto 100mm on the front and rear panels. I also ensure that the item is not able to move about in the box by the use of extra packing on all side to prevent movement of the item in its box to reduce any additional inertia coming into play should it suffer a serious impact on route.

Anyway, you did well in the end, but with little assistance from the wally of a seller you were dealing with  :-+ 
Who let Murphy in?

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #68765 on: September 05, 2020, 06:29:21 pm »
Something definitely wrong there. Fully charged is around 1.4V. Are there two in series? Possible one has gone short
Nope, just the one cell, a AA sized with solder tabs, like this one https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Toothbrush-Replacement-Battery-for-Braun-Oral-B-42mm-x-17mm-Ni-MH-Rechargeable/254489273293
Who let Murphy in?

Offline Zucca

• Supporter
  • EE meid in Itali
« Reply #68766 on: September 05, 2020, 06:33:12 pm »
Thanks TEA platoon for all your suggestions and input about my Ebay incident.
I sent a message to the bastard just telling him I am interested even if the probe is broken.
Let's see what happen.

Meanwhile I got the money back and I got a tastee apple in my PM, I am already moving on.
Can't know what you don't love. St. Augustine
Can't love what you don't know. Zucca

Offline AVGresponding

• Super Contributor
« Reply #68767 on: September 05, 2020, 06:52:08 pm »
Thanks TEA platoon for all your suggestions and input about my Ebay incident.
I sent a message to the bastard just telling him I am interested even if the probe is broken.
Let's see what happen.

Meanwhile I got the money back and I got a tastee apple in my PM, I am already moving on.

He will make another excuse.   :--
nuqDaq yuch Dapol?
Addiction count: Agilent-AVO-BlackStar-Brymen-Chauvin Arnoux-Fluke-GenRad-Hameg-HP-Keithley-IsoTech-Mastech-Megger-Metrix-Micronta-Racal-RFL-Siglent-Solartron-Tektronix-Thurlby-Time Electronics-TTi-UniT

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster

Offline AVGresponding

• Super Contributor
« Reply #68768 on: September 05, 2020, 06:55:52 pm »
Here is a question for the team, I'm trying to repair my sons electric toothbrush which will only run if its just it's just been taken off charge. Ah ha, me thinks, duff battery, I open it up and measure the voltage across the Ni-MH battery when it is off charge, which was 1.44V but the brush will not run. Connect the brush upto a bench supply and give it 1.76V for a few seconds and the brush will switch on when the button is pressed and will continue running, even if I drop the voltage down to .7V.  :-//

Pop the brush back onto its wireless charger base and the voltage across the battery terminals rises upto around 1.78V and the brush will start after a few seconds or so of being on the base. If I remove the battery and pop it back onto the charger base once again, the voltage across the battery terminals instantly rises upto 4.2V but the brush will not run.

I'm assuming that this is because the wireless charger is incapable of providing sufficient power to run the ultrasonic motor  :-//

So my question is, what is the maximum theoretical voltage that Ni-MH battery could be charged upto?  :popcorn:

My Maha Powerex can pulse about 1.7V or so at cells while it's figuring out their charge state, but as a rule 1.45-1.5V is the maximum at which the charger should be cutting off on the dv/dt slope.
nuqDaq yuch Dapol?

Offline AVGresponding

• Super Contributor
« Reply #68769 on: September 05, 2020, 07:07:14 pm »
btw discord is available for your auditory and visual stimulation
nuqDaq yuch Dapol?

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #68770 on: September 05, 2020, 07:10:02 pm »

My Maha Powerex can pulse about 1.7V or so at cells while it's figuring out their charge state, but as a rule 1.45-1.5V is the maximum at which the charger should be cutting off on the dv/dt slope.
Thats my understanding as well. But why when the battery voltage was at 1.44V didn't the toothbrush operate? Is it worth buying a new battery or tossing it and getting a toothbrush?
Who let Murphy in?

Online Ice-Tea

• Super Contributor
    • Freelance Hardware Engineer
« Reply #68771 on: September 05, 2020, 07:34:11 pm »
So I found this amplifier alike box at some other departments scrap box, free for take away:
**snip**

Dude, if you're so desperate for stuff to tinker with, I got **stuff** for you...

What kind of stuff  ::)

Prrff.. in essence, pick your poisson. Pick a category and I have something that needs repair. But... what about a Datron 1071? I actually have a series of these that seem to work fine but all throw selftest errors. They all have depleted batteries in common but simply replacing them does not work. So, my working theory is that it needs at least halfway right correction parameters to pass selftests. And that's how far I got.

Try calibrating them more than once.  What you describe sounds familiar, I have a 1061A that lost its calibration and needed two or three calibration iterations to final success.
These things can have quite interesting and subtle faults:
http://wunderkis.de/datron1061a/index.html
https://amplifier.cd/Test_Equipment/other/Datron1061/Datron_1061.html

So if you can't get any further with them, I should be able to help you. As I've already got two 1061, you'd most probably get them back.
I've got no dedicated wish list, It's more a "I see it, repair it and I like it" process. Some stuff that I don't have yet: an SMU, a general purpose SA with 9k to maybe 2G range and narrow RBW, something like a HP53310A ...

Think I aborted at the 1000V cal stage as I have no decent source for that. Only later I figured out that I could use the photomultiplier PSU for it. Eh, maybe I'll find the time..

How about a Keithley 238? I think I have one in parts, with most parts OK except for the output bridge. I semi-repaired it but, well, time.

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #68772 on: September 05, 2020, 07:52:53 pm »
Nope, just the one cell, a AA sized with solder tabs, like this one https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Toothbrush-Replacement-Battery-for-Braun-Oral-B-42mm-x-17mm-Ni-MH-Rechargeable/254489273293

4.2V charge voltage no load...? Sounds like you have a 14500 LiIon cell like I use in my EDC flashlights.

mnem
 :popcorn:
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline AVGresponding

• Super Contributor
« Reply #68773 on: September 05, 2020, 08:03:12 pm »

4.2V charge voltage no load...? Sounds like you have a 14500 LiIon cell like I use in my EDC flashlights.

mnem
 :popcorn:

That's definitely a plausible explanation. Does it mention the cell chemistry on the thing?
nuqDaq yuch Dapol?

Offline Robert763

• Super Contributor
« Reply #68774 on: September 05, 2020, 09:23:47 pm »
It depends on the exact model, but most of the rechargeable toothbrushes with Nimh (or NiCad in the older ones) cells used the the poor coupling (leakage inductance) between the base and brush to limit the charging current. The cell limits the voltage. Sounds like the cell has gone high impedance. Personally I'd jut go buy a new one. The motor gears and bearings are probably well worn by now.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf