Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 16740204 times)

Offline Saskia

• Super Contributor
  • you unlock this door with the key of imagination
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #68725 on: September 05, 2020, 08:38:39 am »
The probe was located in Vienna, Austria. Austrian courts do not necessarily recognize the authority of the German Bundesgerichtshof.
Zucca would need an Austrian lawyer to pursue this. This might not be worth the hassle and the associated risk.

The rules look similar, though.

Finding a case history such as the one from Stiftung Warentest but for Austrian cases would be optimum, though.

"Pacta sunt servanda" - this applies in Austria as well as far as I know.

Let's see, if the seller is dumb enough to relist this item again.

The question is if it is worth the hassle and the effort and risk to pursue this issue in an Austrian court.
Quick calculation:
same probe available via Amazon (used, very good) for 1200 USD which is close to 1100 €.

Calculation based on 1000€ ...

Gerichtskosten   €   102,00
Anwaltskosten   €   310,90
Vorbereitender Schriftsatz   €   225,05
1. Streitverhandlung
1 Stunde
€   222,53
2. Streitverhandlung
keine
€   0,00
3. Streitverhandlung
keine
€   0,00
Summe ohne Berufung   €   860,47
Berufung (wenn notwendig)    €   628,45
Ergebnis mit Berufung¹   €   1.488,92

You risk cost (just your cost) of 860€ for your lawyer only (plus the same amount for your opponent, if you do not win your case. If you need to appeal, cost will increase to about 1500€ just for your part of the story.

Unless you have insurance coverage which covers legal fees in the EU instead of Germany alone, you run a pretty high risk.

To me, this would not be worth it. But it's Zucca's call.
And no, I did not pursue the tape deck issue, either. Too much hassle.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2020, 08:48:51 am by Saskia »

Offline Ice-Tea

• Super Contributor
    • Freelance Hardware Engineer
« Reply #68726 on: September 05, 2020, 08:42:17 am »
Prrff.. in essence, pick your poisson. Pick a category and I have something that needs repair. But... what about a Datron 1071? I actually have a series of these that seem to work fine but all throw selftest errors. They all have depleted batteries in common but simply replacing them does not work. So, my working theory is that it needs at least halfway right correction parameters to pass selftests. And that's how far I got.

Oooh, a Datron 1071! Would love to have one.  :palm:  ;D

Have you seen this page (sorry, it's in German)?

http://www.friedrich-messtechnik.de/index.php/2012-11-20-02-38-33/datron-labormultimeter

No, I haven't. Defpom has a series on them too, saw some of that. I could probably fix it in the end myself but I simply don't have the time. Juggling three jobs atm (more, if you count the stuff my wife wants me to do...) and I need to stick to the stuff that *must* be done rather than what I would *like* to do...

I'd like to give the opportunity to the Capt'n if he wants it but if not I'd be happy to send one to you...

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #68727 on: September 05, 2020, 08:44:09 am »
The probe was located in Vienna, Austria. Austrian courts do not necessarily recognize the authority of the German Bundesgerichtshof.
Zucca would need an Austrian lawyer to pursue this. This might not be worth the hassle and the associated risk.

The rules look similar, though.

Finding a case history such as the one from Stiftung Warentest but for Austrian cases would be optimum, though.

"Pacta sunt servanda" - this applies in Austria as well as far as I know.

The question is if it is worth the hassle and the effort and risk to pursue this issue in an Austrian court.

Yes.
But on the other hand it really annoys me when such douchebags are getting away with it.
“Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought. It always defeats order, because it is better organized.”            - Terry Pratchett -

The following users thanked this post: tautech, Saskia

Offline Ice-Tea

• Super Contributor
« Reply #68728 on: September 05, 2020, 08:47:20 am »
General notice to bored people: feel free to PM with the poison of your choice (PSU/Scope/counter/DMM/DSA/other) and I can probably set you up with a nice repair project ;)

Offline AVGresponding

• Super Contributor
  • Exploring Rabbit Holes Since The 1970s
« Reply #68729 on: September 05, 2020, 08:47:25 am »
Prrff.. in essence, pick your poisson. Pick a category and I have something that needs repair. But... what about a Datron 1071? I actually have a series of these that seem to work fine but all throw selftest errors. They all have depleted batteries in common but simply replacing them does not work. So, my working theory is that it needs at least halfway right correction parameters to pass selftests. And that's how far I got.

Oooh, a Datron 1071! Would love to have one.  :palm:  ;D

Have you seen this page (sorry, it's in German)?

http://www.friedrich-messtechnik.de/index.php/2012-11-20-02-38-33/datron-labormultimeter

No, I haven't. Defpom has a series on them too, saw some of that. I could probably fix it in the end myself but I simply don't have the time. Juggling three jobs atm (more, if you count the stuff my wife wants me to do...) and I need to stick to the stuff that *must* be done rather than what I would *like* to do...

I'd like to give the opportunity to the Capt'n if he wants it but if not I'd be happy to send one to you...

Well, don't send one to me, I'd never want to send it back!   :-DD

All your dot matrix VFDs are belong to us now!
nuqDaq yuch Dapol?
Addiction count: Agilent-AVO-BlackStar-Brymen-Chauvin Arnoux-Fluke-GenRad-Hameg-HP-Keithley-IsoTech-Mastech-Megger-Metrix-Micronta-Racal-RFL-Siglent-Solartron-Tektronix-Thurlby-Time Electronics-TTi-UniT

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, Specmaster

Offline Saskia

• Super Contributor
  • you unlock this door with the key of imagination
« Reply #68730 on: September 05, 2020, 08:51:02 am »
@Mounty I added a court cost calculation ...
and I concur, if someone is too cheap to pay for the reserve fee, then it should read "pacta sunt servanda".

I would welcome the PoS seller to my blacklist.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2020, 08:53:04 am by Saskia »

Offline Ice-Tea

• Super Contributor
« Reply #68731 on: September 05, 2020, 08:52:23 am »
Didn't you PM me earlier about those? Slipped my mind I'm afraid.. Not sure when I'll be back in the lab, but I'll have a look around if there's something that can make you happy..

Offline capt bullshot

• Super Contributor
    • Mostly useless stuff, but nice to have: wunderkis.de
« Reply #68732 on: September 05, 2020, 09:06:34 am »
So I found this amplifier alike box at some other departments scrap box, free for take away:
**snip**

Dude, if you're so desperate for stuff to tinker with, I got **stuff** for you...

What kind of stuff  ::)

Try calibrating them more than once.  What you describe sounds familiar, I have a 1061A that lost its calibration and needed two or three calibration iterations to final success.
These things can have quite interesting and subtle faults:
http://wunderkis.de/datron1061a/index.html
https://amplifier.cd/Test_Equipment/other/Datron1061/Datron_1061.html

So if you can't get any further with them, I should be able to help you. As I've already got two 1061, you'd most probably get them back.
I've got no dedicated wish list, It's more a "I see it, repair it and I like it" process. Some stuff that I don't have yet: an SMU, a general purpose SA with 9k to maybe 2G range and narrow RBW, something like a HP53310A ...
Safety devices hinder evolution

Offline Robert763

• Super Contributor
« Reply #68733 on: September 05, 2020, 09:17:07 am »
A perfect looking HP 5335A with option C 1.2GHz input for £74.99 Buy It Now. How could I resist?

Who COULD have resisted? Also Jammy Git territory!

I'll call Jammy Git if it has the OXCO option. A  10811-60111 is worth more than £75.

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Online ch_scr

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #68734 on: September 05, 2020, 09:35:00 am »
Finally got my power supply from the mail today. Clean, warranty sticker still intact. Had some woes making up the RS232 adapter cable for it (In the manual they do give the pinout, which is admirable. But they insist on numbering the pins on the RJ45 right-to-left |O which I had obviously overlooked so I had to redo the DB9 :palm:. Then it was just to figure out it only liked one of my USB-to-RS232 adapters to make it work :-+)
Here it can be seen pushing 10A in a 1\$\Omega\$ resistor, fan barely above idle at 1/4 max power >:D. Voltage accuracy checks out good too.

The following users thanked this post: Zucca, BU508A, med6753, mnementh, bd139, Kosmic

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #68735 on: September 05, 2020, 09:57:50 am »
A perfect looking HP 5335A with option C 1.2GHz input for £74.99 Buy It Now. How could I resist?

Who COULD have resisted? Also Jammy Git territory!

I'll call Jammy Git if it has the OXCO option. A  10811-60111 is worth more than £75.

If you lurk around these parts you can pick up an HP OCXO for 50 quid, usually from a suitably knackered HP frequency analyser.

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #68736 on: September 05, 2020, 09:59:49 am »
The next guessing game is, what condition did the meter arrive in?

The trap is baited.
Our breath is baited, and we are waiting - for the next thrilling installment of AVG journey of a lifetime.

Or something like that.
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline mansaxel

• Super Contributor
  • SA0XLR
    • My very static home page
« Reply #68737 on: September 05, 2020, 10:07:35 am »

My idea would be that the relevant level of effort would be to rattle your weapons in form of prior case law, and see whether the seller folds. The german cases are indeed very clear.

I agree that it is Zucca's call.

Offline AVGresponding

• Super Contributor
« Reply #68738 on: September 05, 2020, 10:13:46 am »
Received an 8050A today, sold as "used". I believe a more accurate term would be "borked".

Think i have a 8050A around in my pile if you need comparison material when you decide to repair.

I'd like to take you up on this offer if I may.

I'd like your measurements of RV1, 2, and 3 to start with. They show infinite resistance here, which I'm sure is not correct...
nuqDaq yuch Dapol?
Addiction count: Agilent-AVO-BlackStar-Brymen-Chauvin Arnoux-Fluke-GenRad-Hameg-HP-Keithley-IsoTech-Mastech-Megger-Metrix-Micronta-Racal-RFL-Siglent-Solartron-Tektronix-Thurlby-Time Electronics-TTi-UniT

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #68739 on: September 05, 2020, 10:16:22 am »

My idea would be that the relevant level of effort would be to rattle your weapons in form of prior case law, and see whether the seller folds. The german cases are indeed very clear.

I agree that it is Zucca's call.

Best to shrug and walk away 

This is incidentally one reason why I never use auctions to sell stuff. BIN inflated price, fish hook all the bastards as watchers then send them a 10% discount offer and watch them worry over someone else getting it and wait for the jump  :-DD

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster, Saskia

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #68740 on: September 05, 2020, 11:08:07 am »

Under the EU Distance Selling Directive the law of the buyer's country is the applicable one since 1997 for business to customer transactions - I don't know if that's applicable in this case as I don't know of the seller is selling as a business.
Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
« Reply #68741 on: September 05, 2020, 11:29:14 am »
This is incidentally one reason why I never use auctions to sell stuff. BIN inflated price, fish hook all the bastards as watchers then send them a 10% discount offer and watch them worry over someone else getting it and wait for the jump  :-DD

What's the mechanics of that on fleabay?

Offer+BIN rejecting anything below 90% of BIN? But if you do that, can a punter that made two unacceptable offers still buy it for your "reduced price"?
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #68742 on: September 05, 2020, 11:34:30 am »

Offer+BIN rejecting anything below 90% of BIN? But if you do that, can a punter that made two unacceptable offers still buy it for your "reduced price"?

I make an offer as a seller. I never allow offers from buyers on my auctions because quite frankly everyone wants too much of a bargain.

ebay flow chart:

1. Take photos.
2. Decide how much you want in the bank from it. This is usually a case of researching the sold prices historically and making an educated guess.
3. Add 5% for paypal mugging. Add £1 for sellers fees.
4. Add £2 for a box and packaging (I usually recycle boxes but buy new bubble wrap)
3. Pack it and weigh it
4. get an actual quote for postage from packlink including insurance (I usually wing this TBH) and add that
5. List it at the cumulative price + 15%
6. Wait until there are a few watchers.
7. Send a seller offer out at 15% off.
8. Wait for them to all panic that someone else is going to buy it and jump in.

I used to include postage in the total cost and say "free postage" but that screws you on returns so I'm never doing that again. They can bloody pay for it  :-DD
« Last Edit: September 05, 2020, 11:39:02 am by bd139 »

The following users thanked this post: BU508A, ch_scr, Kosmic

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #68743 on: September 05, 2020, 12:33:35 pm »
I make an offer as a seller. I never allow offers from buyers on my auctions because quite frankly everyone wants too much of a bargain.

You couldn't possibly be hinting at any of your TEA colleagues here. No, you couldn't be. Perish the thought.

Reminds me of those irregular verbs and phrases from "Yes, Minister":

• I brief
  • You leak
  • He is being prosecuted under the Official Secrets Act

vis:

• I keenly pursue a good deal
  • You like a bargain
  • He is a miserable skinflint
Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

The following users thanked this post: BU508A, mnementh, Specmaster, Neomys Sapiens, bd139, ch_scr, mansaxel, Kosmic, AVGresponding

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #68744 on: September 05, 2020, 12:37:00 pm »
Yes ... "just a little crazy" is so pedestrian.

This place has so much more!

mnem
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

The following users thanked this post: tonyalbus

Offline mansaxel

• Super Contributor
  • SA0XLR
    • My very static home page
« Reply #68745 on: September 05, 2020, 12:38:28 pm »
You couldn't possibly be hinting at any of your TEA colleagues here. No, you couldn't be. Perish the thought.

Those versed in BD139 antics PM him. Now we know the peeling we can do on the price potato...  :-DD

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
« Reply #68746 on: September 05, 2020, 12:46:47 pm »

ebay flow chart:

1. Take photos.
2. Decide how much you want in the bank from it. This is usually a case of researching the sold prices historically and making an educated guess.
3. Add 5% for paypal mugging. Add £1 for sellers fees.
4. Add £2 for a box and packaging (I usually recycle boxes but buy new bubble wrap)
3. Pack it and weigh it
4. get an actual quote for postage from packlink including insurance (I usually wing this TBH) and add that
5. List it at the cumulative price + 15%
6. Wait until there are a few watchers.
7. Send a seller offer out at 15% off.
8. Wait for them to all panic that someone else is going to buy it and jump in.

I used to include postage in the total cost and say "free postage" but that screws you on returns so I'm never doing that again. They can bloody pay for it  :-DD

OK, thanks. Nothing I haven't thought of, and occasional applied

Offline AVGresponding

• Super Contributor
« Reply #68747 on: September 05, 2020, 01:02:45 pm »
This may well be the pricing structure for a 2465 on eBay at the moment.

£365 + £40 shipping, and listed as parts, because the seller is too lazy to calibrate it properly...   :popcorn:
nuqDaq yuch Dapol?

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #68748 on: September 05, 2020, 01:08:02 pm »
Anybody interested in a 4ch arbitrary function generator?
Got a price offer from the seller and I'd have considered it, but with that R&S on it's way I have no use for it.
Price offer was EUR 350.-  No affiliations with the seller.

Addendum: It is more an IQ Signal generator, the 4ch arbitrary function gen is more like a "side effect"

https://www.ebay.de/itm/114298992207

« Last Edit: September 05, 2020, 01:17:23 pm by BU508A »
“Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought. It always defeats order, because it is better organized.”            - Terry Pratchett -

Offline AVGresponding

• Super Contributor
« Reply #68749 on: September 05, 2020, 01:57:17 pm »
Keithley 2000 update:

It has arrived...

Full story (and pics) to follow, but as I've been waiting in for it since 8am, I really need to go to the loo right now...
« Last Edit: September 05, 2020, 03:43:50 pm by AVGresponding »
nuqDaq yuch Dapol?

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, Specmaster, tonyalbus

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf