Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 16743608 times)

Online BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #68550 on: September 03, 2020, 06:24:31 pm »
This is my very crude attempt of designing a TEA logo after fighting with Inkscape for 2 hours.   |O   :-//

“Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought. It always defeats order, because it is better organized.”            - Terry Pratchett -

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, bd139

Offline McBryce

• Super Contributor
« Reply #68551 on: September 03, 2020, 06:29:55 pm »
This is my very crude attempt of designing a TEA logo after fighting with Inkscape for 2 hours.   |O   :-//

Is that triangular wave deliberately all over the place?

McBryce.
30 Years making cars more difficult to repair.

Offline Robert763

• Super Contributor
« Reply #68552 on: September 03, 2020, 06:33:54 pm »
Well those are not real LM741s. The 741 has a gain bandwidth of about 1.5MHz. Amplitude is also limited by the slew rate of 0.5V/us.
No way are you getting a gain of 1 out of a 741 at 10MHz.
Also have you loaded the output? should really be able to drive 50R. A old composite video amplifier works well especially if you put a ethernet isolating transfoumer / balun on the outputs. The Extro ones ae very nice. A VGA one with BNCs will also work.

LM7171 has 200Mhz unity-gain bandwidth. In simulation I was able to get 150Mhz easy.

For the transfo I think I saw in the spec something like 2db attenuation. I need to check back.

:palm: :palm: :palm:
I read 741, not 7171 some kind of mental abberation or confirmation bias  |O |O 
The 7171 is good for this.

Offline Kosmic

• Super Contributor
« Reply #68553 on: September 03, 2020, 06:48:58 pm »
Well those are not real LM741s. The 741 has a gain bandwidth of about 1.5MHz. Amplitude is also limited by the slew rate of 0.5V/us.
Also have you loaded the output? should really be able to drive 50R. A old composite video amplifier works well especially if you put a ethernet isolating transfoumer / balun on the outputs. The Extro ones ae very nice. A VGA one with BNCs will also work.

LM7171 has 200Mhz unity-gain bandwidth. In simulation I was able to get 150Mhz easy.

For the transfo I think I saw in the spec something like 2db attenuation. I need to check back.

Yes working fine and can be found cheaply.

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #68554 on: September 03, 2020, 06:57:57 pm »

Looks damn good.  :-+ Why would you care about that slight amount of attenuation as long as the output (including harmonics) is clean and accurate?
An old gray beard with an attitude.

The following users thanked this post: Kosmic

Offline Kosmic

• Super Contributor
« Reply #68555 on: September 03, 2020, 07:10:27 pm »

Looks damn good.  :-+ Why would you care about that slight amount of attenuation as long as the output (including harmonics) is clean and accurate?

just my OCD side. It's not really important. But I can fix it by adding 2 resistors and 1 cap :)

Online BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #68556 on: September 03, 2020, 07:15:45 pm »

Is that triangular wave deliberately all over the place?

McBryce.

Yes, sort of.
The idea was to show a screen of a scope and the text "TEA" and "EEVBlog" should follow the shape of the circle on the outside.
I've read a lot of how-to's in the web but that damn text refused to follow the shape of the circle. I guess, I have to read
a bit more and play around with Inkscape. Twenty years back I used Corel Draw a lot for this kind of stuff. The UI was
easy and intuitive, but with this Inkscape thingie I have the feeling to fight with Eagle for vector graphics. *brrrrrr*
“Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought. It always defeats order, because it is better organized.”            - Terry Pratchett -

Offline Wolfgang

• Super Contributor
  • Its great if it finally works !
    • Electronic Projects for Fun
« Reply #68557 on: September 03, 2020, 07:21:13 pm »
... any point doing this ? Does this have better close to carrier PN than the BG7TBL stuff ? Or is it just fun ? :)

Offline PA0PBZ

• Super Contributor
« Reply #68558 on: September 03, 2020, 07:22:30 pm »
The idea was to show a screen of a scope and the text "TEA" and "EEVBlog" should follow the shape of the circle on the outside.

If you have Microsoft Word it's a 10 seconds job with WordArt
Keyboard error: Press F1 to continue.

Online BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #68559 on: September 03, 2020, 07:29:04 pm »

Linux here. No MS Office stuff.

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #68560 on: September 03, 2020, 07:41:21 pm »
quick TEA logo attempt (blatant plagiarism involved of course  :-DD)

The following users thanked this post: Zucca, bitseeker, BU508A, med6753, mnementh, Mr. Scram, Mortymore, 0culus

Offline 0culus

• Super Contributor
  • Electronics, RF, and TEA Hobbyist
« Reply #68561 on: September 03, 2020, 07:42:41 pm »

TEAtronix

The following users thanked this post: Mortymore, Neomys Sapiens

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #68562 on: September 03, 2020, 08:03:19 pm »
Just bought another British made item: Racal 9916 520MHz counter. This one has a working OCXO that the seller has checked against his GPSDO apparently.

Aaaand I'm done shopping for a while now  :-DD. That was actually my entire shopping list nailed.

The following users thanked this post: med6753, Specmaster, Kosmic, tonyalbus

Offline Robert763

• Super Contributor
« Reply #68563 on: September 03, 2020, 08:05:54 pm »
So This £5.99 ebay purchase arrived today
1059226-0
Putting it with this
1059230-1
(Ebay for £15 including a good CCD video camera, lens currently £845 from Edmund  :o )
Allows me to do some macro /micro photography with th Canon M100.
1059234-2
1059238-3
Those were handheld with normal indoor lighting.

The following users thanked this post: bd139, Kosmic

Offline Kosmic

• Super Contributor
« Reply #68564 on: September 03, 2020, 08:20:11 pm »
... any point doing this ? Does this have better close to carrier PN than the BG7TBL stuff ? Or is it just fun ? :)

I don't know, I think the BG7TBL is outputting squarewave no ? I wanted 8 outputs all sinewave. And yes it's mostly for fun. If I move it to a PCB it's also to educate myself and learn a little.

Offline factory

• Super Contributor
« Reply #68565 on: September 03, 2020, 08:28:37 pm »
Just bought another British made item: Racal 9916 520MHz counter. This one has a working OCXO that the seller has checked against his GPSDO apparently.

Aaaand I'm done shopping for a while now  :-DD. That was actually my entire shopping list nailed.

I must be unlucky with Racal stuff, I've got three different Racal counters here, none of which are working properly.
The first I got was a ex mil 936, I did get this going by replacing two shorted tants (going to the probe power socket), but went to use it last year and found it refusing to count.
The next was an older SA520, the less said about this one the better.
Recently bought a 1GHz 9025, guess the problem with this one, again no count, but works fine when an external 1MHz reference is fed into the back and for good measure someone has blown the 10Hz to 150MHz input.

David
« Last Edit: September 03, 2020, 08:40:37 pm by factory »

The following users thanked this post: bd139, tonyalbus

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #68566 on: September 03, 2020, 08:38:03 pm »
Yeah typical British engineering. I had one with a duff OCXO ages ago and had to replace it :(

The following users thanked this post: factory

Offline McBryce

• Super Contributor
« Reply #68567 on: September 03, 2020, 08:50:43 pm »

Linux here. No MS Office stuff.

Libre Office can do that too.

McBryce.
30 Years making cars more difficult to repair.

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #68568 on: September 03, 2020, 08:51:27 pm »
Izzat holesaw-pad construction I see...? :-+ How much PITA in real use?

mnem
*pats belly* Sooooo much pizza... *Grooooooannnnnnnnnn*

Yes my first tentative. Got the bits from china a while ago.      In term of usage, it's pretty easy if you have a drill press. A lot simpler than cutting pad with the nibbler and then gluing.

Awresome! I suspected that would be the case; I hoped it would prove out. Seems to me that having the pad on the same plane as the ground fill should really inhibit stray capacitance.

mnem
 :popcorn:
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #68569 on: September 03, 2020, 08:57:04 pm »

TEAtronix

I wonder why I like that so much?  :-// :-DD
An old gray beard with an attitude.

The following users thanked this post: bd139, 0culus

Offline factory

• Super Contributor
« Reply #68570 on: September 03, 2020, 09:03:20 pm »
Yeah typical British engineering. I had one with a duff OCXO ages ago and had to replace it :(

No prizes for guessing it was the OCXO and as usual it's the only part I can't find any service info for, I used the manual for the similar but lower frequency 9024 as I couldn't find a Racal 9025 one.

Here is what I tested the counter with, a HP 3311A for the external 1MHz frequency reference input and the HP 8620C/86222B on the other end of the really long BNC lead, with GR 874 attenuator before counter input.

David

P.S. that nice 60's HP 101A 1MC oscillator needs repairing too.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2020, 09:06:54 pm by factory »

The following users thanked this post: tonyalbus

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #68571 on: September 03, 2020, 09:11:14 pm »
I think most of their counters double the OCXO up from 5MHz to 10MHz. I managed to frig one here to take a 10MHz Bliley OCXO off aliexpress by bypassing the doubler:

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/repairing-off-frequency-racal-9442-ocxo/

BTW rather love the overkill oscillators  :-DD  :-+ :-+ :-+

The following users thanked this post: factory

Offline VK5RC

• Supporter
« Reply #68572 on: September 03, 2020, 09:44:58 pm »
Best way to fix an oscillator - make a high gain amp - it will be an oscillator - well that is what happens for me! (and vice versa)!
Whoah! Watch where that landed we might need it later.

The following users thanked this post: bd139

Offline Neomys Sapiens

• Super Contributor
« Reply #68573 on: September 03, 2020, 10:05:29 pm »

That sort of mis-cognition results from having too many people around of which you know with a high degree of certainty that upon hearing OPA they will by default propose their blasted 741/324/2904 abominations like none other, and far nicer ones existed.
IMO they should be relegated to the same category like coal mine ponies, flintlocks, slate tablets....

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #68574 on: September 03, 2020, 11:03:06 pm »
Best way to fix an oscillator - make a high gain amp - it will be an oscillator - well that is what happens for me! (and vice versa)!

Who needs high gain - my last "successful" oscillator creation was supposed to be a unity gain 'diamond transistor' output stage!
Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, Neomys Sapiens, bd139, mansaxel

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf