Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 16852455 times)

Henrik_V and 132 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline 0culus

• Super Contributor
  • Electronics, RF, and TEA Hobbyist
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #68475 on: September 03, 2020, 12:15:51 am »
I stuck another 'scope on the +75Vdc line coming off the Type 81 plug-in adapter, and whattyaknow, more than 1 volt p-p ripple. I'd say that 4 element can is a goner. Pat, any re-stuffing hints? Given how tight quarters the adapter us, I'd rather try my hand at stuffing new caps in the can which will ensure everything fits.

Bingo!  ;D ;D

Yep! I think it was clear that it had to be the problem, but this is proof.  :-+

Offline 0culus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #68476 on: September 03, 2020, 12:17:18 am »
If all else fails, get a bigger torch!  :-DD

Some of the better makes of test leads actually use welded joints to connect the wire to the plugs. I'm curious as to how they achieve this. The immediate thought is resistance welding, until you think a bit more and realise that attempting to resistance weld relatively thick copper cable to solid brass connectors isn't going to be massively successful!

Exogenous welds with a teeny tiny tig torch?

Explosive welding?  >:D

If anybody actually knows I'd be curious as to how it's done.

Hmmm, it might be akin to the welding process that was used to assemble the Apollo Guidance Computer. NASA had (wisely) decided solder wasn't going to be suitable for riding a rocket, so all the components are welded in (and potted).

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #68477 on: September 03, 2020, 12:18:50 am »
I stuck another 'scope on the +75Vdc line coming off the Type 81 plug-in adapter, and whattyaknow, more than 1 volt p-p ripple. I'd say that 4 element can is a goner. Pat, any re-stuffing hints? Given how tight quarters the adapter us, I'd rather try my hand at stuffing new caps in the can which will ensure everything fits.

Bingo!  ;D ;D

Yep! I think it was clear that it had to be the problem, but this is proof.  :-+

I wish my Type 1A2 was an easy fix as yours. Got me confused at the moment but I'll eventually figure it out......or blast it with a shotgun.  :P :-DD
An old gray beard with an attitude.

Offline Neomys Sapiens

• Super Contributor
« Reply #68478 on: September 03, 2020, 12:23:35 am »
If all else fails, get a bigger torch!  :-DD

Some of the better makes of test leads actually use welded joints to connect the wire to the plugs. I'm curious as to how they achieve this. The immediate thought is resistance welding, until you think a bit more and realise that attempting to resistance weld relatively thick copper cable to solid brass connectors isn't going to be massively successful!

Exogenous welds with a teeny tiny tig torch?

Explosive welding?  >:D

If anybody actually knows I'd be curious as to how it's done.

Here is a thread

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/reviews/welding-wires-together/msg3077347/#msg3077347

which contains some info on this topic. (Started by a rather notorious member of the forum, but contains some useful info). MC/Staeubli uses welded contacts on their 2mm test leads.

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #68479 on: September 03, 2020, 12:25:03 am »

Bingo!  ;D ;D

I wish my Type 1A2 was an easy fix as yours. Got me confused at the moment but I'll eventually figure it out......or blast it with a shotgun.  :P :-DD
;D
Reminds me of my neighbor whom owns a fleet of diggers, should anything piss him off enough it gets pounded into the dirt with his 35 tonner !  :o
Avid Rabid Hobbyist.
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Offline Neomys Sapiens

• Super Contributor
« Reply #68480 on: September 03, 2020, 12:34:19 am »

Bingo!  ;D ;D

Longtime dream of mine to subject a LC scope and a Dr. Klaschka PLC to this treatment. While energized. Using slugs.

Offline 0culus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #68481 on: September 03, 2020, 12:42:21 am »

Bingo!  ;D ;D

lol!!

That frustrating, eh?   :-DD

Offline Cubdriver

• Supporter
  • Nixie addict
    • Photos of electronic gear
« Reply #68482 on: September 03, 2020, 01:12:18 am »

I just looked up the manual on Tekwiki - looks like a quad 75uF @ 150V.  How physically big is it?

-Pat
If it jams, force it.  If it breaks, you needed a new one anyway...

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #68483 on: September 03, 2020, 01:47:59 am »

I just looked up the manual on Tekwiki - looks like a quad 75uF @ 150V.  How physically big is it?

-Pat

And I just looked at the schematic. The PSU has two of the 75uf in parallel then a dropping resistor and the other two in parallel. You can simplify that by replacing with two 150uf/160V capacitors.

Offline bitseekerTopic starter

• Super Contributor
  • Lots of engineer-tweakable parts inside!
« Reply #68484 on: September 03, 2020, 01:50:19 am »
Fluke Alert

Dave spotted that AllTest has a bunch of Fluke 27 for $38 + shipping. https://www.ebay.com/itm/382616480372

As we've noted before, their packing is some of the best, especially for big TE. However, that level seems to be overkill for a single handheld DMM. Over $35 s/h for me. The total is so-so, all things considered (I see many have sold for $50-60 including shipping), but it's definitely no longer an impulse buy. Is it better for those of you located closer to them?

Ref: https://www.eevblog.com/forum/buysellwanted/ebay-us-fluke-27-multimeters-cheap/

$12.71 shipping for me. He's in Jersey and I'm NY so it's cheap.

But I'm not interested. The 87 takes care of my needs.

$12.71 for me, too.  I'm in CT, so probably about the same distance away as Mike is.  I have two of the ex military 27/FMs, so I'm set too, otherwise it would be quite tempting.  I think (but am not 100% certain) that the yellow 27 is NOT a true RMS meter, but know that the grey 27/FM is true RMS.

-Pat

That's much more reasonable! Oh, well. Maybe someone else on the East Coast will enjoy the deal.
TEA is the way. | TEA Time channel

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #68485 on: September 03, 2020, 01:51:28 am »
First real prototype for the curve tracer function generator works out of box :-+      Look no breadboard   

Right. That's probably that project shelved for 2 years now  :-DD :-DD

Damn... that is some right-proper butt-ugly deadbug right there!!! I heartily approve of this project!!! :-+ :-+ :-+

mnem
bd139: Shoving electrons up dead bugs' asses for fun & profit since nineteen-mumblety-mumble... >:D
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

• Super Contributor
« Reply #68486 on: September 03, 2020, 01:57:59 am »
That was just funny, well it made me feel good,  i just need to share....
i do a bidding on the dutch ebay 'marktplaats' , its was a reasonable bit, but not to high...
the guy responds ... 'Hey Tony its you, i watch your videos, for you, the offer is okey, i send it tomorrow'  :)
Nice seller, thank you ...that made me feel real good  :)
8)

Wow! Our Tony is famous. He gets better pricing, now! :-DD

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, tonyalbus

Offline 0culus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #68487 on: September 03, 2020, 02:01:52 am »

-Pat

Outside dimensions--approximate: 2.5 in tall x 1.5 in diameter.

Offline 0culus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #68488 on: September 03, 2020, 02:02:56 am »

-Pat

And I just looked at the schematic. The PSU has two of the 75uf in parallel then a dropping resistor and the other two in parallel. You can simplify that by replacing with two 150uf/160V capacitors.
That's a good point...

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #68489 on: September 03, 2020, 02:06:16 am »
Was that done deliberately to lower ESR in this circuit?

mnem
 :popcorn:
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #68490 on: September 03, 2020, 02:07:20 am »
That was just funny, well it made me feel good,  i just need to share....
i do a bidding on the dutch ebay 'marktplaats' , its was a reasonable bit, but not to high...
the guy responds ... 'Hey Tony its you, i watch your videos, for you, the offer is okey, i send it tomorrow'  :)
Nice seller, thank you ...that made me feel real good  :)
8)

Wow! Our Tony is famous. He gets better pricing, now! :-DD
Hey... all the electrons he's inconvenienced over the last few months and all the bandwidth his videos suck off yoobToob should ought ter' be worth SOMETHIN'...  :-DD

mnem
"You know what ought ters be...? They be silly critterz whut slide down mud banks on their asses..." ~grand-dad

The following users thanked this post: bitseeker, tonyalbus

Offline Joe M

• Contributor
« Reply #68491 on: September 03, 2020, 02:11:39 am »
I've treated myself for new Toys, I guess this is as time nuts as it gets :) Now I need Caesium frequency standard
Pendulum CNT-90
and Siglent SDS-1104X-E 4ch scope
Thats some serious resolution in the frequency counter, you might want to consider a Disciplined GPS clock, may not be as good as Cessium but some people claim it to be better than a Rubidium https://www.ebay.com/itm/GPS-Disciplined-Clock-Oscillator-Frequency-Standard-for-GPS-BD-Sine-Wave-pans/283654655593?hash=item420b228e69:g:69sAAOSwmMVds~Bs
« Last Edit: September 03, 2020, 02:20:02 am by Joe M »

• Super Contributor
« Reply #68492 on: September 03, 2020, 02:11:56 am »
You know it’s bed time when you think your metcal cartridge is duff but actually find out you’re just trying to use solid hookup wire as solder  :palm: :palm: :palm:. And bed!  :-DD

Wow, that was too good, bd!

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #68493 on: September 03, 2020, 02:13:59 am »
First real prototype for the curve tracer function generator works out of box :-+      Look no breadboard      
Right. That's probably that project shelved for 2 years now  :-DD :-DD

Bronx style at its best. Manhattan is for pussies. :)

Nahhh... that's N'awlins style: Built like a shotgun shack, and you can see where 'e peppered the walls with lead a few times...  :-DD

mnem
 >:D

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #68494 on: September 03, 2020, 02:59:13 am »
Was that done deliberately to lower ESR in this circuit?

mnem
 :popcorn:

I don't think so. I see that a lot in old Tek PSU circuits and I think it's more of what's readily available off the shelf rather than any design considerations. If I see 2 capacitors in parallel I replace it with a one of equivalent value and I've not seen any ill effects. 

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline mansaxel

• Super Contributor
  • SA0XLR
    • My very static home page
« Reply #68495 on: September 03, 2020, 04:06:03 am »
I've treated myself for new Toys, I guess this is as time nuts as it gets :) Now I need Caesium frequency standard
Pendulum CNT-90
and Siglent SDS-1104X-E 4ch scope
Thats some serious resolution in the frequency counter, you might want to consider a Disciplined GPS clock, may not be as good as Cessium but some people claim it to be better than a Rubidium https://www.ebay.com/itm/GPS-Disciplined-Clock-Oscillator-Frequency-Standard-for-GPS-BD-Sine-Wave-pans/283654655593?hash=item420b228e69:g:69sAAOSwmMVds~Bs

As told by a couple friends in the business (Salaried time-nuts, responsible for the Swedish UTC instance), a Rb standard can excel  (besting a Cs too) in a short-time stability perspective but the Cs wins in long-time stability (until the "physics package" is worn out, that is) so if properly steered, a local Rb coupled to a Cs, possibly via space (GNSS), is a very good combo.

With a bit of luck, I'm getting just that combination to play with at work in a few months time. GNSS-receiver driving a Rb, because you need that to properly assess our other frequency standards, Meinberg GNSS receivers with OXCO local oscillators.

New, Shiny! TE that I'm being paid to play with. I like that.

/M

Every broadcast engineer is a closet time-nut (Another forum member, in PM to me)

• Super Contributor
« Reply #68496 on: September 03, 2020, 05:51:35 am »
TE that I'm being paid to play with. I like that.

Indeed!

The following users thanked this post: tonyalbus

Offline tonyalbus

• Frequent Contributor
  • To better understand, you need to open it ;-)
    • My Channel
« Reply #68497 on: September 03, 2020, 06:16:09 am »
TE that I'm being paid to play with. I like that.

Indeed!

That is TE heaven, the ultimate....hope to get there once
Electronics enthusiast, TEA and Radio Amateur (PE1ONS)
Marconi  - TTi - Thandar - Thurmbly - HP - Fluke - Philips - Siglent - Owon - TEK - Anritsu - Keithley - AVO - BG7TBL
https://www.youtube.com/TonyAlbus

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #68498 on: September 03, 2020, 07:13:36 am »
As someone who likes to wear T-Shirts I wanted to have one with a TEA logo on it.
But I wasn't able to find such a logo, perhaps I've overlooked it somehow.

If we don't have a TEA logo, is there somebody here with us with some
graphical and artist talents (and is willing to do) who could create such a logo?

My abilites in this respect are fairly mediocre.

Any ideas, how such a TEA logo should look alike?
“Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought. It always defeats order, because it is better organized.”            - Terry Pratchett -

The following users thanked this post: tonyalbus

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #68499 on: September 03, 2020, 07:44:20 am »
T-shirts are standard equipment here. Couldn't tell you the last time I wore a button down shirt.  :D

But my graphical skills are mediocre too.   :palm:

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, tonyalbus

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf