Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 16746183 times)

factory, Vince, med6753 and 38 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #68425 on: September 02, 2020, 03:25:34 pm »
Todays acquisition:  Rohde & Schwarz ADS with Option B1 (Clock Generator). ETA 8. - 9. September

This is the beast:

Dammit you need to say when you're going to post pics like that, now I need a fresh pair of pants!   >:(

Those Fluke 27's are £80 by the time you add on shipping and import duties, I'll pass.

Update on the Keithley 2000, new message from the seller:

I manage to finally see the money in may PayPal account as pending. I will dispatch the multimeter today.
Sorry again for this big delay.

And from PayPal:

Transaction ID: **********    
    Your parcel will be with you soon!   

***** ***** sent your parcel using Royal Mail.

Posting details
Carrier:   Royal Mail
Service type:   RM 2nd Class stamps
Posting status:   Sent
For more about your delivery, go to http://www.royalmail.com

Seller
***** *****@yahoo.co.uk

Note to buyer
United Kingdom
Note to buyer
The seller hasn't sent a note

Description   Unit price   Qty   Amount
Item Name:Keithley 2000 Bench Digital Multimeter
Item Number *****
£251.00 GBP   1   £251.00 GBP
Subtotal   £251.00 GBP
Postage and packaging   £5.00 GBP
Insurance   £0.00 GBP
Tax   £0.00 GBP
Total   £256.00 GBP
Payment   £256.00 GBP

Custom:**********

I note the lack of insurance on the parcel... with a raised eyebrow and a half smile.
It's due 5/9-7/9, waiting with bated breath... what will arrive? A Keithley 2000 as described? A brick? A Keithley 2000 with a brick inserted? Nothing at all?

Stay tuned for our next unedifying episode of "DMMs and Numpties, can they coexist?"

LMAO. I spy a refund  :-DD

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #68426 on: September 02, 2020, 03:30:38 pm »

Dammit you need to say when you're going to post pics like that, now I need a fresh pair of pants!   >:(

Those Fluke 27's are £80 by the time you add on shipping and import duties, I'll pass.

Update on the Keithley 2000, new message from the seller:

I manage to finally see the money in may PayPal account as pending. I will dispatch the multimeter today.
Sorry again for this big delay.

And from PayPal:

Transaction ID: **********    
    Your parcel will be with you soon!   

***** ***** sent your parcel using Royal Mail.

Posting details
Carrier:   Royal Mail
Service type:   RM 2nd Class stamps
Posting status:   Sent
For more about your delivery, go to http://www.royalmail.com

Seller
***** *****@yahoo.co.uk

Note to buyer
United Kingdom
Note to buyer
The seller hasn't sent a note

Description   Unit price   Qty   Amount
Item Name:Keithley 2000 Bench Digital Multimeter
Item Number *****
£251.00 GBP   1   £251.00 GBP
Subtotal   £251.00 GBP
Postage and packaging   £5.00 GBP
Insurance   £0.00 GBP
Tax   £0.00 GBP
Total   £256.00 GBP
Payment   £256.00 GBP

Custom:**********

I note the lack of insurance on the parcel... with a raised eyebrow and a half smile.
It's due 5/9-7/9, waiting with bated breath... what will arrive? A Keithley 2000 as described? A brick? A Keithley 2000 with a brick inserted? Nothing at all?

Stay tuned for our next unedifying episode of "DMMs and Numpties, can they coexist?"

Changed your pants yet  :-DD

I'm keeping my fingers crossed for you on the Keithley, good luck, we all expect loads of photos now after all this tension :-+
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Online med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #68427 on: September 02, 2020, 04:04:21 pm »
Further down the chain in the 1A2 this is what happens to the waveform. What has been elusive so far is what is causing it. And it occurs on both channels which are separate circuits but obviously something in common. DC voltages so far are OK which would be common. Could be something in the switching circuit but so far has got me stumped.

But I won't give up.  |O

An old gray beard with an attitude.

The following users thanked this post: Zucca, Kosmic, 0culus, tonyalbus

Offline tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #68428 on: September 02, 2020, 04:06:45 pm »
Changed your pants yet  :-DD

I'm keeping my fingers crossed for you on the Keithley, good luck, we all expect loads of photos now after all this tension :-+

I'm so tempted to send that vendor a message thanking him for providing us with so much entertainment :)
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

The following users thanked this post: capt bullshot, tonyalbus

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #68429 on: September 02, 2020, 04:11:31 pm »
Why would you need a 25/27 pair  :-// There is zero difference between a 25 and a 27 other than usually the colour (not strictly true, there are brown 27's) and 2 extra functions, REL and MIN/MAX, both of which are built into the 25 as the same boards are used in both meters, I'd rather have what I've got and that is a pair of 27's so if I want to monitor 2 rails for MIN/MAX performance, I can.  :popcorn:

What are you going to say next: "Why do you need another multimeter"?  :scared:

Around here one hardly needs a justification to extend one's collection. If I want to use "pair" as a flimsy pretext for another acquisition than I claim that as my right. [Fx: emoji of man crossing arms and dropping his chin in a "that's final" pose]
Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #68430 on: September 02, 2020, 04:18:56 pm »
Why would you need a 25/27 pair  :-// There is zero difference between a 25 and a 27 other than usually the colour (not strictly true, there are brown 27's) and 2 extra functions, REL and MIN/MAX, both of which are built into the 25 as the same boards are used in both meters, I'd rather have what I've got and that is a pair of 27's so if I want to monitor 2 rails for MIN/MAX performance, I can.  :popcorn:

Around here one hardly needs a justification to extend one's collection. If I want to use "pair" as a flimsy pretext for another acquisition than I claim that as my right. [Fx: emoji of man crossing arms and dropping his chin in a "that's final" pose]
LMAO, actually I'm saying quite the reverse, lord knows I need no excuse to add a meter to my collection. But what I was saying, for the amount of difference between a 25 and a 27, I'd personally elect to go for a paid of 27s which are 25s in all but name and 2 extra functions, nothing complicated in that.
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

The following users thanked this post: tonyalbus

Offline tonyalbus

• Frequent Contributor
  • To better understand, you need to open it ;-)
    • My Channel
« Reply #68431 on: September 02, 2020, 04:21:16 pm »
That was just funny, well it made me feel good,  i just need to share....
i do a bidding on the dutch ebay 'marktplaats' , its was a reasonable bit, but not to high...
the guy responds ... 'Hey Tony its you, i watch your videos, for you, the offer is okey, i send it tomorrow'  :)
Nice seller, thank you ...that made me feel real good  :)
8)
Electronics enthusiast, TEA and Radio Amateur (PE1ONS)
Marconi  - TTi - Thandar - Thurmbly - HP - Fluke - Philips - Siglent - Owon - TEK - Anritsu - Keithley - AVO - BG7TBL
https://www.youtube.com/TonyAlbus

The following users thanked this post: PA0PBZ, Zucca, Brumby, Cubdriver, BU508A, Specmaster, bd139, mansaxel, Kosmic, AVGresponding

Offline tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #68432 on: September 02, 2020, 04:40:51 pm »
.... I'd personally elect to go for a paid of 27s which are 25s in all but name and 2 extra functions, nothing complicated in that.

The only difference is the buttons on the front panel; I've tested that :)

Mechanically, possibly the lowest tech way of upgrading would be drill holes in the case for small n/o momentary push buttons switches, and have flying wires going to either side of the printed pattern on the PCB.
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

Offline Neomys Sapiens

• Super Contributor
« Reply #68433 on: September 02, 2020, 04:41:44 pm »

Oh don't get me started. I have still to get rid of the THM560 and send BU508 his Nordmende to come below 30 again, yet I am eyeing a MetraMax 14. It is the same form factor as my MetraMax12, but RMS.

Offline Neomys Sapiens

• Super Contributor
« Reply #68434 on: September 02, 2020, 04:43:37 pm »
.... I'd personally elect to go for a paid of 27s which are 25s in all but name and 2 extra functions, nothing complicated in that.

Mechanically, possibly the lowest tech way of upgrading would be drill holes in the case for small n/o momentary push buttons switches, and have flying wires going to either side of the printed pattern on the PCB.
That amounts to a PLANNED BODGE, which is a crime against instruments.

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster

Offline Neomys Sapiens

• Super Contributor
« Reply #68435 on: September 02, 2020, 04:46:08 pm »
New video from The Signal Noise Path:

I just love him and his lab full of toys so much. Great YT channel, he deserves 1M sub.

Yes, +1 from here. But the topic is way too specialized and sophisticated to reach this. Even Dave doesn't have 1M subscribers.

Perhaps, if Shahriar would add such topics like polishing nails, what to wear on the next TEA meeting, new hairstyles etc ...

Edit:
He could also invite guests to his show, e.g. med6753 for the topic: "How to paint testequipement blue?"  :D
What is the use of polishing nails? When you hammer them in, they get marred again! :-//

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster, factory

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #68436 on: September 02, 2020, 04:49:58 pm »
That was just funny, well it made me feel good,  i just need to share....
i do a bidding on the dutch ebay 'marktplaats' , its was a reasonable bit, but not to high...
the guy responds ... 'Hey Tony its you, i watch your videos, for you, the offer is okey, i send it tomorrow'  :)
Nice seller, thank you ...that made me feel real good  :)
8)

That’s about 5000 more subscribers and you start getting that from vendors pushing their scopes on you (if you’re lucky)  :-DD

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster, tonyalbus

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #68437 on: September 02, 2020, 05:08:11 pm »

Exactly that.
Who let Murphy in?

Online AVGresponding

• Super Contributor
  • Exploring Rabbit Holes Since The 1970s
« Reply #68438 on: September 02, 2020, 05:24:01 pm »

Pfft, it's rat-look, and it's a crime against aesthetics.
nuqDaq yuch Dapol?
Addiction count: Agilent-AVO-BlackStar-Brymen-Chauvin Arnoux-Fluke-GenRad-Hameg-HP-Keithley-IsoTech-Mastech-Megger-Metrix-Micronta-Racal-RFL-Siglent-Solartron-Tektronix-Thurlby-Time Electronics-TTi-UniT

Online factory

• Super Contributor
« Reply #68439 on: September 02, 2020, 05:25:33 pm »
Today's delivery fail, a sample of Chinese number readout bulbs, the total lack of packaging resulted in bent pins and one being completely smashed.  :palm:

David
« Last Edit: September 02, 2020, 05:27:28 pm by factory »

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, Specmaster, bd139, TorinoFermic, tonyalbus

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #68440 on: September 02, 2020, 05:28:17 pm »

Agreed, hence why I said, I'd rather go for a pair of 27's.
Who let Murphy in?

Online AVGresponding

• Super Contributor
  • Exploring Rabbit Holes Since The 1970s
« Reply #68441 on: September 02, 2020, 05:32:25 pm »

Agreed, hence why I said, I'd rather go for a pair of 27's.

I would have thought it a relatively simple task to reuse some buttons from a scrap tv etc remote.
nuqDaq yuch Dapol?
Addiction count: Agilent-AVO-BlackStar-Brymen-Chauvin Arnoux-Fluke-GenRad-Hameg-HP-Keithley-IsoTech-Mastech-Megger-Metrix-Micronta-Racal-RFL-Siglent-Solartron-Tektronix-Thurlby-Time Electronics-TTi-UniT

Offline PA0PBZ

• Super Contributor
« Reply #68442 on: September 02, 2020, 05:44:56 pm »
Today's delivery fail, a sample of Chinese number readout bulbs, the total lack of packaging resulted in bent pins and one being completely smashed.  :palm:

Well, what can you expect for 0.78 GBP? ;)
Keyboard error: Press F1 to continue.

Online med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #68443 on: September 02, 2020, 05:55:19 pm »
Still no fix on the Type 1A2 plug-in. Did some more static testing of diodes/transistors and everything seems OK. Got me stumped for now. Putting it away for now and the earliest I'll be able to get back to it is next week. No matter, it will keep.  :phew: 
An old gray beard with an attitude.

Online mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #68444 on: September 02, 2020, 06:00:35 pm »
Extrapolating your excellent idea further  :-DD

https://thesurrealist.co.uk/feedback?who=seller&quality=on&speed=on&packing=on&maxlen=80&mood=negative&vocab=frivolous

So far this is a winner: Immensely wretched quality! Notably disfigured packaging. Ever so late delivery.

mnem
 >:D
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

The following users thanked this post: bd139

Online mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #68445 on: September 02, 2020, 06:09:12 pm »
So stuck in a conference call this morning I didn't really need to be in so I drafted up a very high level design for the next project:      If anyone has any input on this let me know.

I want to produce a well documented, tested, fully open source and actually useful curve tracer adapter for analogue oscilloscopes. This will not be a Tek 576 or a toy but somewhere up the 576 end of usefulness. Objectively I want to use it to be able to look at normal BJT and zener breakdowns as well as the usual parameters which means 200V voltage compliance at least.

Edit: there ARE mistakes in the above and the current sampling is probably wrong. I'll deal with that when I get there :)

I'd totes build that.  :-+

mnem
*currently enjoying that intergalactic illusion known as lunchtime*
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Online factory

• Super Contributor
« Reply #68446 on: September 02, 2020, 06:13:00 pm »

Both the description* & declared value are wrong, they were just over £5 each.

David

*Unless they actually are a new type of fuse.  :-DD

Offline PA0PBZ

• Super Contributor
« Reply #68447 on: September 02, 2020, 06:20:59 pm »

David

Individually tested of course.
Keyboard error: Press F1 to continue.

Online mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #68448 on: September 02, 2020, 06:26:45 pm »

David

Individually tested of course.
This is a case where you lead with a request for them to initiate a shipping insurance claim.  The assache factor will give you some small amount of leverage, and no small amount of satisfaction. >:D

mnem
 :popcorn:

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #68449 on: September 02, 2020, 06:27:52 pm »
First real prototype for the curve tracer function generator works out of box :-+

Look no breadboard

Right. That's probably that project shelved for 2 years now  :-DD :-DD

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, Specmaster, ch_scr, factory, Kosmic, 0culus, tonyalbus

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf