Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 16747798 times)

wkb, Vince, factory and 45 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #68400 on: September 02, 2020, 07:18:07 am »
New video from The Signal Noise Path:

I just love him and his lab full of toys so much. Great YT channel, he deserves 1M sub.

Yes, +1 from here. But the topic is way too specialized and sophisticated to reach this. Even Dave doesn't have 1M subscribers.

Perhaps, if Shahriar would add such topics like polishing nails, what to wear on the next TEA meeting, new hairstyles etc ...

Edit:
He could also invite guests to his show, e.g. med6753 for the topic: "How to paint testequipement blue?"  :D
« Last Edit: September 02, 2020, 07:22:21 am by BU508A »
“Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought. It always defeats order, because it is better organized.”            - Terry Pratchett -

The following users thanked this post: med6753, mnementh, Specmaster

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #68401 on: September 02, 2020, 07:21:26 am »
Powder? I assumed that some sort of barbecuing would be the order of the day. Or sausages...

Horse meat disagrees with me terribly thus powder it is.

E3630A refund arrived this morning. I hope the numpty learns from this mistake. I’m wondering what feedback to leave now.

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #68402 on: September 02, 2020, 07:26:40 am »
Powder? I assumed that some sort of barbecuing would be the order of the day. Or sausages...

Horse meat disagrees with me terribly thus powder it is.

E3630A refund arrived this morning. I hope the numpty learns from this mistake. I’m wondering what feedback to leave now.

I'd suggest to use some kind of these:

“Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought. It always defeats order, because it is better organized.”            - Terry Pratchett -

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #68403 on: September 02, 2020, 07:45:37 am »
Extrapolating your excellent idea further  :-DD

https://thesurrealist.co.uk/feedback?who=seller&quality=on&speed=on&packing=on&maxlen=80&mood=negative&vocab=frivolous

So far this is a winner:

Immensely wretched quality! Notably disfigured packaging. Ever so late delivery.

The following users thanked this post: Zucca, BU508A, mnementh, scl, Specmaster, AVGresponding

Offline Cubdriver

• Supporter
  • Nixie addict
    • Photos of electronic gear
« Reply #68404 on: September 02, 2020, 08:58:42 am »
Fluke Alert

Dave spotted that AllTest has a bunch of Fluke 27 for $38 + shipping. https://www.ebay.com/itm/382616480372

As we've noted before, their packing is some of the best, especially for big TE. However, that level seems to be overkill for a single handheld DMM. Over $35 s/h for me. The total is so-so, all things considered (I see many have sold for $50-60 including shipping), but it's definitely no longer an impulse buy. Is it better for those of you located closer to them?

Ref: https://www.eevblog.com/forum/buysellwanted/ebay-us-fluke-27-multimeters-cheap/

$12.71 for me, too.  I'm in CT, so probably about the same distance away as Mike is.  I have two of the ex military 27/FMs, so I'm set too, otherwise it would be quite tempting.  I think (but am not 100% certain) that the yellow 27 is NOT a true RMS meter, but know that the grey 27/FM is true RMS.

-Pat
If it jams, force it.  If it breaks, you needed a new one anyway...

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #68405 on: September 02, 2020, 09:09:15 am »
Todays acquisition:  Rohde & Schwarz ADS with Option B1 (Clock Generator). ETA 8. - 9. September

This is the beast:

Information sheet available here:
https://scdn.rohde-schwarz.com/ur/pws/dl_downloads/dl_common_library/dl_brochures_and_datasheets/pdf_1/Ads.pdf

Teardown and pictures will follow.

Having considered to buy a R&S AFGU which is also a very nice machine but the advantage of the ADS is the dual channel setup.

Manual for the AFGU:
http://eww.ko4bb.com/getsimple/index.php?id=download&file=Rohde_Schwarz/AFGU_Function_generator/Rohde_Schwarz_AFGU_Function_generator_Operator_Manual_german.pdf
« Last Edit: September 02, 2020, 10:01:30 am by BU508A »

The following users thanked this post: Brumby, med6753, mnementh, Specmaster, bd139, Kosmic, tonyalbus

Offline tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #68406 on: September 02, 2020, 10:10:33 am »
Fluke Alert

Dave spotted that AllTest has a bunch of Fluke 27 for $38 + shipping. https://www.ebay.com/itm/382616480372

As we've noted before, their packing is some of the best, especially for big TE. However, that level seems to be overkill for a single handheld DMM. Over $35 s/h for me. The total is so-so, all things considered (I see many have sold for $50-60 including shipping), but it's definitely no longer an impulse buy. Is it better for those of you located closer to them?

Ref: https://www.eevblog.com/forum/buysellwanted/ebay-us-fluke-27-multimeters-cheap/

$12.71 for me, too. 

$46 for me, in the UK. Happy I don't want one, let alone need it to "complement" my Fluke 25.
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

Offline ZhuraYuk

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #68407 on: September 02, 2020, 10:16:54 am »
Does anyone knows how to get calibration code for Keithely 2000 to calibrate it from front panel?

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #68408 on: September 02, 2020, 10:22:00 am »
Does anyone knows how to get calibration code for Keithely 2000 to calibrate it from front panel?

I recommend to ask forum fellow TiN

He is owning a lot of Keithleys, is very experienced in this matter, is a nice guy and he is coming from Ukraine as well (afaik). :)

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #68409 on: September 02, 2020, 10:45:21 am »
So stuck in a conference call this morning I didn't really need to be in so I drafted up a very high level design for the next project:

If anyone has any input on this let me know. I want to produce a well documented, tested, fully open source and actually useful curve tracer adapter for analogue oscilloscopes. This will not be a Tek 576 or a toy but somewhere up the 576 end of usefulness. Objectively I want to use it to be able to look at normal BJT and zener breakdowns as well as the usual parameters which means 200V voltage compliance at least.

Edit: there ARE mistakes in the above and the current sampling is probably wrong. I'll deal with that when I get there :)
« Last Edit: September 02, 2020, 10:49:10 am by bd139 »

The following users thanked this post: xrunner, Brumby, bitseeker, mnementh, Ero-Shan, Kosmic, 0culus, tonyalbus

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #68410 on: September 02, 2020, 12:07:34 pm »
Fluke Alert

$12.71 for me, too. 

$46 for me, in the UK. Happy I don't want one, let alone need it to "complement" my Fluke 25.

I don't need one, but I'd quite like one to complement my 25. The need to "complete the pair" of things, especially hand held things, is a basic human trait. A pair of boxing gloves, a pair of duelling pistols, ...,  a pair of Fluke 25/27s. Also, "As the swish of two Flukes to a camel*".

*For those who don't know the phrase - "two bricks" in the original; the meaning is, I believe, self-evident.
Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #68411 on: September 02, 2020, 12:19:34 pm »
So stuck in a conference call this morning I didn't really need to be in so I drafted up a very high level design for the next project:

If anyone has any input on this let me know. I want to produce a well documented, tested, fully open source and actually useful curve tracer adapter for analogue oscilloscopes. This will not be a Tek 576 or a toy but somewhere up the 576 end of usefulness. Objectively I want to use it to be able to look at normal BJT and zener breakdowns as well as the usual parameters which means 200V voltage compliance at least.

Edit: there ARE mistakes in the above and the current sampling is probably wrong. I'll deal with that when I get there :)

You might want to consider the option of switching in log/antilog amplifiers to enable plotting on logarithmic axes, that way you can fit a lot of decades on one screen. Also a lot of diode/transistor characteristics turn into straight lines on log scales which I find is a useful way of looking at them, especially for spotting 'odd' behaviour or limits of applicability.
Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

The following users thanked this post: Brumby, bd139

Offline tggzzz

• Super Contributor
« Reply #68412 on: September 02, 2020, 12:49:03 pm »

Major and minor tick generator, so the screen is calibrated; axis grid is optimal.

Personally I would use programmable PSUs and multimeter's, and plot the result in a computer.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".

The following users thanked this post: bd139

Offline tonyalbus

• Frequent Contributor
  • To better understand, you need to open it ;-)
    • My Channel
« Reply #68413 on: September 02, 2020, 12:56:27 pm »
  :palm:
Electronics enthusiast, TEA and Radio Amateur (PE1ONS)
Marconi  - TTi - Thandar - Thurmbly - HP - Fluke - Philips - Siglent - Owon - TEK - Anritsu - Keithley - AVO - BG7TBL
https://www.youtube.com/TonyAlbus

The following users thanked this post: bd139, Kosmic

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #68414 on: September 02, 2020, 12:58:34 pm »
Fluke Alert

$12.71 for me, too. 

I don't need one, but I'd quite like one to complement my 25. The need to "complete the pair" of things, especially hand held things, is a basic human trait. A pair of boxing gloves, a pair of duelling pistols, ...,  a pair of Fluke 25/27s. Also, "As the swish of two Flukes to a camel*".

*For those who don't know the phrase - "two bricks" in the original; the meaning is, I believe, self-evident.
Why would you need a 25/27 pair  :-// There is zero difference between a 25 and a 27 other than usually the colour (not strictly true, there are brown 27's) and 2 extra functions, REL and MIN/MAX, both of which are built into the 25 as the same boards are used in both meters, I'd rather have what I've got and that is a pair of 27's so if I want to monitor 2 rails for MIN/MAX performance, I can.  :popcorn:
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #68415 on: September 02, 2020, 01:00:40 pm »
You might want to consider the option of switching in log/antilog amplifiers to enable plotting on logarithmic axes, that way you can fit a lot of decades on one screen. Also a lot of diode/transistor characteristics turn into straight lines on log scales which I find is a useful way of looking at them, especially for spotting 'odd' behaviour or limits of applicability.

That's a VERY interesting idea. I have added that to the list of features. That'll be a value add afterwards though.

Designed the function generator over lunch. Had to get a bit creative with the implementation to keep it to jelly bean parts. Needs a 2x frequency for the step generator so it starts a step sweep on the negative transition of the square output. Thus I worked out if I used a standard ramp generator design and XNOR'ed the above/below zero and the integrator current direction it'd generate the desired output. There's probably a simpler way but I couldn't find one that was cheaper :)

And yes I know those are 741's. I have exactly one metric fuck ton of them and they are fine for this :)

Major and minor tick generator, so the screen is calibrated; axis grid is optimal.

Personally I would use programmable PSUs and multimeter's, and plot the result in a computer.

Already looking at that. You can actually short B-E and it'll generate a vertical calibration (in theory).

On computers, that takes the "hard way" away and replaces it with the "frustrating way" :)
« Last Edit: September 02, 2020, 01:03:38 pm by bd139 »

The following users thanked this post: xrunner, mnementh

Offline nixiefreqq

• Super Contributor
« Reply #68416 on: September 02, 2020, 01:12:16 pm »
looks like a good start to me.

here are some pics of my home brew pos.  take it as a suggestion of what not to do. (although it is fine for doodling around or good/bad tests)

just so the heathkit fanboys don't go nuts.....the analog transistor checker was totally ate up from battery leakage.  but the case and switches and sockets were ok.

i like your suggestion about having the ability to sweep fairly high voltages.  just tested an n channel jfet that looked fine when subjected to the +/- 12 that little op amp internal oscillator will supply, but went totally wonky at higher voltage when swept with an external source with more voltage.  (it was the only transistor in an old b&k tube tester).

mine used to just have 8 levels of base drive and it worked just fine for my purposes.  changed it to 16 levels and now it seems too busy.

« Last Edit: September 02, 2020, 01:18:19 pm by nixiefreqq »
free range primate

The following users thanked this post: xrunner, BU508A, med6753, mnementh, bd139, Kosmic, tonyalbus

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #68417 on: September 02, 2020, 01:20:55 pm »
Best thing you can do with a Heathkit is eviscerate it  :-DD

Seriously though - nice job. Really like that  :-+

The following users thanked this post: Neomys Sapiens, nixiefreqq

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #68418 on: September 02, 2020, 02:35:26 pm »
Let the fun begin. With some effort the 535A is on it's side. First point checked is the output from the attenuators and that looks good. Problem with the waveform distortion is further down the chain.

An old gray beard with an attitude.

The following users thanked this post: xrunner, BU508A, mnementh, Kosmic, 0culus, tonyalbus

Offline 0culus

• Super Contributor
  • Electronics, RF, and TEA Hobbyist
« Reply #68419 on: September 02, 2020, 02:50:58 pm »
I'm taking a closer look at the Type 81 plug-in adapter I got with the 585A now that I have a manual for it. Basically, it is getting a full line voltage tap off the transformer primary, and it has it's own small transformer and bridge rectifier and power supply that is providing 75 Vdc for feeding series strung filaments (which many plugins use to tap other voltages off of by using the filaments as voltage dividers). Anyway, this is filtered by one of med's favorite cans...a 4 element 75 uF/150V apiece can. I suspect this is bad because every single one of the letter series plugins I have save for my Type Z exhibits horrible 60 Hz ripple that is all-pervasive. I suspect this is because the Type Z has it's own filtering going on, perhaps. Additionally, the Type 82 plug-in (which is made for the 585A and does not need the adapter) has zero problems.

Anyway, maybe tomorrow I will set it up and put a scope on that 75 volt rail and see if there's big ripple coming through, as I suspect there will be.

Ditch the can anyway even if it isn't the issue.....but sounds like it is.

Post up what you find.

I will for sure. First thing I want to do is figure out why the Type Z has no issues before I fix the adapter. That is certainly curious and I’d like to know why while I still have the ripple delivery mechanism intact.  :-DD

Offline nixiefreqq

• Super Contributor
« Reply #68420 on: September 02, 2020, 03:03:15 pm »
first i thought tape measure?

naw.....tape dispenser?

hmmmmmmm?   

ok....you got me med.  what is it?

(you are supposed to put a calculator in the shot to annoy the calculator yoda's......not a mystery object to drive me nuts)
free range primate

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #68421 on: September 02, 2020, 03:05:19 pm »

naw.....tape dispenser?

hmmmmmmm?   

(you are supposed to put a calculator in the shot to annoy the calculator yoda's......not a mystery object to drive me nuts)
LED light with hanging hook and magnet, rear view.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist.
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, nixiefreqq

Offline AVGresponding

• Super Contributor
  • Exploring Rabbit Holes Since The 1970s
« Reply #68422 on: September 02, 2020, 03:07:02 pm »
Todays acquisition:  Rohde & Schwarz ADS with Option B1 (Clock Generator). ETA 8. - 9. September

This is the beast:

Dammit you need to say when you're going to post pics like that, now I need a fresh pair of pants!   >:(

Those Fluke 27's are £80 by the time you add on shipping and import duties, I'll pass.

Update on the Keithley 2000, new message from the seller:

I manage to finally see the money in may PayPal account as pending. I will dispatch the multimeter today.
Sorry again for this big delay.

And from PayPal:

Transaction ID: **********    
    Your parcel will be with you soon!   

***** ***** sent your parcel using Royal Mail.

Posting details
Carrier:   Royal Mail
Service type:   RM 2nd Class stamps
Posting status:   Sent
For more about your delivery, go to http://www.royalmail.com

Seller
***** *****@yahoo.co.uk

Note to buyer
United Kingdom
Note to buyer
The seller hasn't sent a note

Description   Unit price   Qty   Amount
Item Name:Keithley 2000 Bench Digital Multimeter
Item Number *****
£251.00 GBP   1   £251.00 GBP
Subtotal   £251.00 GBP
Postage and packaging   £5.00 GBP
Insurance   £0.00 GBP
Tax   £0.00 GBP
Total   £256.00 GBP
Payment   £256.00 GBP

Custom:**********

I note the lack of insurance on the parcel... with a raised eyebrow and a half smile.
It's due 5/9-7/9, waiting with bated breath... what will arrive? A Keithley 2000 as described? A brick? A Keithley 2000 with a brick inserted? Nothing at all?

Stay tuned for our next unedifying episode of "DMMs and Numpties, can they coexist?"

nuqDaq yuch Dapol?
Addiction count: Agilent-AVO-BlackStar-Brymen-Chauvin Arnoux-Fluke-GenRad-Hameg-HP-Keithley-IsoTech-Mastech-Megger-Metrix-Micronta-Racal-RFL-Siglent-Solartron-Tektronix-Thurlby-Time Electronics-TTi-UniT

The following users thanked this post: BU508A, tonyalbus

Offline AVGresponding

• Super Contributor
  • Exploring Rabbit Holes Since The 1970s
« Reply #68423 on: September 02, 2020, 03:08:54 pm »
you are supposed to put a calculator in the shot to annoy the calculator yoda's

Jinkies, don't give me ideas. I have enough trouble suppressing my troll genes as it is!
nuqDaq yuch Dapol?
Addiction count: Agilent-AVO-BlackStar-Brymen-Chauvin Arnoux-Fluke-GenRad-Hameg-HP-Keithley-IsoTech-Mastech-Megger-Metrix-Micronta-Racal-RFL-Siglent-Solartron-Tektronix-Thurlby-Time Electronics-TTi-UniT

Offline tggzzz

• Super Contributor
« Reply #68424 on: September 02, 2020, 03:18:39 pm »

naw.....tape dispenser?

hmmmmmmm?   

A torch, i.e. the second most useful "everyday" accessory when working inside a boat anchor. 

The most useful accessory is, of course, a head mounted visor with lenses of differing strengths.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf