Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 16746332 times)

Vince, med6753 and 41 Guests are viewing this topic.

Online factory

• Super Contributor
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #68375 on: September 01, 2020, 05:18:02 pm »
@AVGresponding Regards to the seller situation, I'm still smelling that nasty whiff under my nose of BS. Come on, I'm sure that you have sold on eBay as well and when using PayPal, they don't tell you that funds are not yet cleared or will be in your account within so many hours. What happens is that the request for payment is fully automatic, the buyer clicks on the link to pay via PayPal and the rest is down to the buyer, who cannot screw it up. The seller, once the buyer has paid via PayPal, gets an email from PayPal telling him that you have paid and to dispatch the goods to the buyer.

The seller does not get the money transferred to his bank until he requests to transfer some or all of the money to his registered bank account and then it is done within minutes. I don't buy this bullshit that he is telling you for a single minute, it has all the hallmarks of a scam written all over it, especially seeing that he has already had a previous buyer for this meter, who it would seem, backed out of the deal, maybe they too were getting all this BS about not being able to get access to the money etc.

Run away and fight another day is my gut reaction to this deal.

ePay are also partly to blame as they no longer trust new sellers or users that haven't sold anything for a long time, they can hold the payment for a short period.
New sellers should really list some low value items to build up their reputation first, before listing higher value items like the bench DMM in question.
Once they have successfully sold enough items this BS limit gets removed from their account.

@AVGresponding I can't see any risk, you shouldn't have any problems getting your money back if they don't send the DMM.

David

P.S. anyone would think they are trying to discourage new users, once pissed off by ePay they will soon disappear to other selling sites.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2020, 05:24:22 pm by factory »

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster, bd139

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #68376 on: September 01, 2020, 05:32:14 pm »
Check Q1 and Q2 aren't borked and clean the switches out. They are the "front most" two transistors, one in the switches, one near the input jacks. I've had at least 2 8050A's where one of them is buggered or the switches are dirty that did that and worked fine afterwards.

Q1 & 2 are good. Switches all bell out good. Keep trying, I'll stick to my ADC theory, just cba to bugger about with scopes right now as I'm functioning on 1 hour of sleep in the last 2 days...

:popcorn:

Ahh I'd fuck it off back onto ebay then  :-DD

Online factory

• Super Contributor
« Reply #68377 on: September 01, 2020, 05:41:29 pm »
So schaffner filter arrived. Paid £2.49 for NOS. 2010 week 31. Risky or not?

Was there more than one at that price? Personally I wouldn't use them unless I had performed an autopsy of a recent production one and hadn't found any paper based capacitors inside.

David

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #68378 on: September 01, 2020, 05:55:18 pm »

Easy to find out. Hold it up to your ear. If you hear ticking you're out of luck.  :)
Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

The following users thanked this post: Zucca, mnementh, bd139, Kosmic

Online factory

• Super Contributor
« Reply #68379 on: September 01, 2020, 05:55:48 pm »
So I bid an won a HP DMM on ebay, not because I need another DMM or that it's anything special, a E2373A.
Just because I'm a TEA and my only other HP handheld DMM is a 3476 "tricorder"  :popcorn:

I put a very low bid on that one too, hopefully it's working & doesn't have any battery related corrosion, always a risk with meters that use AA's.

David

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #68380 on: September 01, 2020, 06:23:26 pm »
I had it on the watch list. That was as far as it went.

Was there more than one at that price? Personally I wouldn't use them unless I had performed an autopsy of a recent production one and hadn't found any paper based capacitors inside.

David

Have gone up in price now. Perhaps paying for the postage scared the guy  :-DD

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/114327989308

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #68381 on: September 01, 2020, 06:28:41 pm »
I had it on the watch list. That was as far as it went.

David

Have gone up in price now. Perhaps paying for the postage scared the guy  :-DD

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/114327989308
Even at the new price, they are still way cheaper than what I paid for the ones in my 7150's, but then those also were fused and housed a voltage selector, so they should be more expensive.
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Online factory

• Super Contributor
« Reply #68382 on: September 01, 2020, 06:37:59 pm »
I bought a non Schaffner one for my Tek 2465 at around £4 from RS last year, I needed another one a few months later, only problem RS had doubled the price.

David

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, bd139

Online BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #68383 on: September 01, 2020, 06:39:00 pm »
New video from The Signal Noise Path:

“Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought. It always defeats order, because it is better organized.”            - Terry Pratchett -

The following users thanked this post: Zucca, med6753, bd139, FransW, tonyalbus

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #68384 on: September 01, 2020, 06:50:09 pm »
I bought a non Schaffner one for my Tek 2465 at around £4 from RS last year, I needed another one a few months later, only problem RS had doubled the price.

David

Yeah the original filter in this was an RS one dated 1989. Didn’t fancy my chances. I considered ordering one from RS but yep prices have gone through the roof and they have dropped free delivery now.

Honestly I’ve just had a massive eBay clear out and managed to end up with a reasonable wad of cash from it and am disinclined to lose it again by pissing it up the wall on RS markup and delivery (or all the other vendors  :-DD)

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster, factory

Offline Neomys Sapiens

• Super Contributor
« Reply #68385 on: September 01, 2020, 06:58:46 pm »
I want to measure the storage time of some fast diodes, but none of the pulse generators I have are fast enough.  I have a Colby PG1000A 1 GHz pulse generator with 200ps rise and fall times, but it does not have enough output amplitude swing to make diode measurements, so I bought this HP 8082A pulse generator I bought on fleabay for parts or repair. 
Chris
Thanks for the info on Colby - did not know them. Seems nice. But the problem of lacking amplitude is one well known to me. PG508 can drive up to +/-20V into an open circuit, but is probably too slow. PG502 can do +/-5V but I don't see those really coming out at 260MHz.

Offline khs

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #68386 on: September 01, 2020, 07:14:10 pm »
Here some more voltage from the TEK High_Amplitude_Pulse_Generator.

The risetime of the pulse generator is better than 300 ps, but the 11A72 is limited to 1V div, so I used the slower 11A32 less sensitive plugin to show the voltage.

http://w140.com/tekwiki/wiki/High_Amplitude_Pulse_Generator.

The schematic from  the pg509 (http://w140.com/smb/tek_pg509.pdf) is quite similar, so maybe it can be self made.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2020, 07:16:46 pm by khs »

The following users thanked this post: xrunner, bd139, tonyalbus

Online mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #68387 on: September 01, 2020, 09:40:51 pm »
Do you really want to open this Pandora's box?  ;D
Already have, let's see if bd wants to fix the forum where he spends lotsa his time.
I'm sure he's got one of these and knows how to use it:  :horse:

Yes... If anyone here knows how to use a dead horse 🐎, it's bd.  :-DD

mnem
"When you find yourself astride a dead horse, the best strategy is to dismount." - Lakota proverb
« Last Edit: September 01, 2020, 09:42:37 pm by mnementh »
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

The following users thanked this post: bd139

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #68388 on: September 01, 2020, 11:30:57 pm »
Someone’s got to powder them. Can’t just have dead horses lying around  8)

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #68389 on: September 01, 2020, 11:55:52 pm »
Powder? I assumed that some sort of barbecuing would be the order of the day. Or sausages...
Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

Online mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #68390 on: September 02, 2020, 02:47:27 am »

mnem
Literally the ONLY version I could find. :palm:
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline bitseekerTopic starter

• Super Contributor
  • Lots of engineer-tweakable parts inside!
« Reply #68391 on: September 02, 2020, 03:59:09 am »

Yep, wouldn't you know it was the (spoiler :-X).

I wonder what kinds of non-TE will be showing up on TNP and if he already has a backlog of stuff that needs fixing that spawned the new series. Of course, it's also an opportunity to see more of his TE in action.

That Agilent benchtop LCR was a very TEA-worthy overkill for the task.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2020, 04:01:31 am by bitseeker »
TEA is the way. | TEA Time channel

Online mansaxel

• Super Contributor
  • SA0XLR
    • My very static home page
« Reply #68392 on: September 02, 2020, 04:24:56 am »
Oh you thought I had enough RPN calculators??? NEVER.  >:D >:D >:D

:-DD

Newest addition to the collection. $50 + shipping for the whole thing and he threw in a 12C financial calculator (not pictured). I couldn't say no.

That would fetch over the double and the 12c would be as much again on top here. Prices for Object Of Desire as discussed here are simply insane this side of the ditch.

As an example, on local auction site, a -hp- 42s in good condition, went for 2005 SEK, which is US$220, roughly.

https://www.tradera.com/item/1708/413496949/hp-42s-hewlett-packard-42s-miniraknare-kalkylator

Offline 0culus

• Super Contributor
  • Electronics, RF, and TEA Hobbyist
« Reply #68393 on: September 02, 2020, 05:09:53 am »
Oh you thought I had enough RPN calculators??? NEVER.  >:D >:D >:D

Newest addition to the collection. $50 + shipping for the whole thing and he threw in a 12C financial calculator (not pictured). I couldn't say no.

That would fetch over the double and the 12c would be as much again on top here. Prices for Object Of Desire as discussed here are simply insane this side of the ditch.

As an example, on local auction site, a -hp- 42s in good condition, went for 2005 SEK, which is US$220, roughly.

https://www.tradera.com/item/1708/413496949/hp-42s-hewlett-packard-42s-miniraknare-kalkylator

Any remotely desirable -hp- calc will fetch stupid prices, even here. Particularly a 35, especially if it's got the buggy ROM.

Offline 0culus

• Super Contributor
  • Electronics, RF, and TEA Hobbyist
« Reply #68394 on: September 02, 2020, 05:18:47 am »
I'm taking a closer look at the Type 81 plug-in adapter I got with the 585A now that I have a manual for it. Basically, it is getting a full line voltage tap off the transformer primary, and it has it's own small transformer and bridge rectifier and power supply that is providing 75 Vdc for feeding series strung filaments (which many plugins use to tap other voltages off of by using the filaments as voltage dividers). Anyway, this is filtered by one of med's favorite cans...a 4 element 75 uF/150V apiece can. I suspect this is bad because every single one of the letter series plugins I have save for my Type Z exhibits horrible 60 Hz ripple that is all-pervasive. I suspect this is because the Type Z has it's own filtering going on, perhaps. Additionally, the Type 82 plug-in (which is made for the 585A and does not need the adapter) has zero problems.

Anyway, maybe tomorrow I will set it up and put a scope on that 75 volt rail and see if there's big ripple coming through, as I suspect there will be.

Offline bitseekerTopic starter

• Super Contributor
  • Lots of engineer-tweakable parts inside!
« Reply #68395 on: September 02, 2020, 05:38:22 am »
Fluke Alert

Dave spotted that AllTest has a bunch of Fluke 27 for $38 + shipping. https://www.ebay.com/itm/382616480372

As we've noted before, their packing is some of the best, especially for big TE. However, that level seems to be overkill for a single handheld DMM. Over $35 s/h for me. The total is so-so, all things considered (I see many have sold for $50-60 including shipping), but it's definitely no longer an impulse buy. Is it better for those of you located closer to them?

Ref: https://www.eevblog.com/forum/buysellwanted/ebay-us-fluke-27-multimeters-cheap/
« Last Edit: September 02, 2020, 05:44:40 am by bitseeker »
TEA is the way. | TEA Time channel

Online med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #68396 on: September 02, 2020, 06:38:38 am »
I'm taking a closer look at the Type 81 plug-in adapter I got with the 585A now that I have a manual for it. Basically, it is getting a full line voltage tap off the transformer primary, and it has it's own small transformer and bridge rectifier and power supply that is providing 75 Vdc for feeding series strung filaments (which many plugins use to tap other voltages off of by using the filaments as voltage dividers). Anyway, this is filtered by one of med's favorite cans...a 4 element 75 uF/150V apiece can. I suspect this is bad because every single one of the letter series plugins I have save for my Type Z exhibits horrible 60 Hz ripple that is all-pervasive. I suspect this is because the Type Z has it's own filtering going on, perhaps. Additionally, the Type 82 plug-in (which is made for the 585A and does not need the adapter) has zero problems.

Anyway, maybe tomorrow I will set it up and put a scope on that 75 volt rail and see if there's big ripple coming through, as I suspect there will be.

Ditch the can anyway even if it isn't the issue.....but sounds like it is.

Post up what you find.
An old gray beard with an attitude.

The following users thanked this post: 0culus

Online med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #68397 on: September 02, 2020, 06:40:38 am »
Fluke Alert

Dave spotted that AllTest has a bunch of Fluke 27 for $38 + shipping. https://www.ebay.com/itm/382616480372

As we've noted before, their packing is some of the best, especially for big TE. However, that level seems to be overkill for a single handheld DMM. Over $35 s/h for me. The total is so-so, all things considered (I see many have sold for $50-60 including shipping), but it's definitely no longer an impulse buy. Is it better for those of you located closer to them?

Ref: https://www.eevblog.com/forum/buysellwanted/ebay-us-fluke-27-multimeters-cheap/

$12.71 shipping for me. He's in Jersey and I'm NY so it's cheap.

But I'm not interested. The 87 takes care of my needs.
An old gray beard with an attitude.

Online BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #68398 on: September 02, 2020, 06:51:42 am »

Yep, wouldn't you know it was the (spoiler :-X).

I wonder what kinds of non-TE will be showing up on TNP and if he already has a backlog of stuff that needs fixing that spawned the new series. Of course, it's also an opportunity to see more of his TE in action.

That Agilent benchtop LCR was a very TEA-worthy overkill for the task.

Yes, same thoughts here. I had a good laugh when I spotted the Agilent measuring  the capacitor's ESR.
Well, one has to use what's just available at hand.   :-DD
“Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought. It always defeats order, because it is better organized.”            - Terry Pratchett -

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, tonyalbus

Offline Zucca

• Supporter
  • EE meid in Itali
« Reply #68399 on: September 02, 2020, 07:09:52 am »

I just love him and his lab full of toys so much. Great YT channel, he deserves 1M sub.
Can't know what you don't love. St. Augustine
Can't love what you don't know. Zucca

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf