Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 16749882 times)

TERRA Operative, Wolfgang, Cesar_D, duckduck and 42 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #68300 on: August 31, 2020, 03:14:23 pm »
Oh yeah; def worth stopping and picking it up. Just not anything really exciting is all. :-//

mnem
Ferengi-fodder fer sherr. >:D
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #68301 on: August 31, 2020, 03:30:39 pm »
Oh yeah; def worth stopping and picking it up. Just not anything really exciting is all. :-//

mnem
Ferengi-fodder fer sherr. >:D
I just flipped that old Sharetree AM/FM signal generator that I got way back in 2017 for £20 but then couldn't find any manuals for it, it fetched £90 on auction with a bidding war on it, so that doesnt owe me anything. Likewise, the Racal Dana 9082, got it £15, supposed to be working but wasn't so I got full refund, just sold it for £46, like the other one, not working, spares/repair only and no returns. So not a bad day, all helps towards my car repair / tax / insurance bills  :-DD
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #68302 on: August 31, 2020, 03:38:03 pm »
Congratulations. As mentioned elsewhere I did actually consider that Racal myself  :-DD

Some RF hacking here. Didn't have any 10dB attenuators around and I need one to insert in NanoVNA chain so I don't blow it up with an amplifier stage.

So Pi attenuator. Series element = 82 || 560. Parallel elements = 100 || 2.7k. Didn't have right SMD resistors and this is NOT a transmission line - just cut board with a stanley knife.

Pretty good result this. I didn't push it up too far as only req is HF but the flatness is fairly good and the return loss is under 24dB right up to 900MHz which was a surprise.

The following users thanked this post: bitseeker, BU508A, mnementh, Specmaster, Mortymore, wolfy007, Kosmic, tonyalbus

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #68303 on: August 31, 2020, 04:10:57 pm »
I think I'll move to Canada. The freaking Canuks seem to enjoy throwing away perfectly good equipment.  :-//
Yep, I think I might be joining you as well. Never find anything like that over here.
Ehhh... not exactly perfectly good. 10 or more years old; a SLB5M Core 2 Quad Q8200 2.33GHz with 4GB Crucial DDR2/800 RAM and 1GB Sapphire ATi Radeon HD5450 GPU on a MSI MS-7529 G45 Chipset MB with only a few bloaty caps.  :palm: Oh, and a Toshiba SSH-223 DVD-RW drive. |O

While in principle I could get Ubuntu or even Win10 to install on it, what would I have by the time it finished sometime in the middle of next week...?

Certainly not worth the time/assache of recapping the board or even a cheap bulk Win10 license.

I think I'm much better off just getting it lit up long enough to take pics and flip the naughty bits on fleaBay for a few dollars towards something useful.

Or toss the RAM & GPU in the back of the parts bin for testing/diag porpoises... there they might actually make me some money.

mnem

Well boo-hooo.  ::) ;D It's still a tad better than the dead skunks, possums, and raccoons I find along side the road here.  :P :-DD
An old gray beard with an attitude.

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, Specmaster

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #68304 on: August 31, 2020, 04:16:32 pm »
That's all on the menu in Jersey.  :-DD

mnem
 >:D
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #68305 on: August 31, 2020, 04:45:37 pm »
plumbing done. 15dB preamplifier for this HF telemetry receiver. Worked out that if I don't want to talk to other people with the radio I can talk to myself and send data over it  :-DD

Now to wait 3 months for my ADE-1 mixers to arrive  :--. I'll work on the decoder PLL over next couple of weeks.

The following users thanked this post: xrunner, Specmaster, Kosmic

Online Wolfgang

• Super Contributor
  • Its great if it finally works !
    • Electronic Projects for Fun
« Reply #68306 on: August 31, 2020, 04:52:14 pm »
Congratulations. As mentioned elsewhere I did actually consider that Racal myself  :-DD

Some RF hacking here. Didn't have any 10dB attenuators around and I need one to insert in NanoVNA chain so I don't blow it up with an amplifier stage.

So Pi attenuator. Series element = 82 || 560. Parallel elements = 100 || 2.7k. Didn't have right SMD resistors and this is NOT a transmission line - just cut board with a stanley knife.

Pretty good result this. I didn't push it up too far as only req is HF but the flatness is fairly good and the return loss is under 24dB right up to 900MHz which was a surprise.

... up to VHF, this technique is fully OK: I made handbodged circuits with striplines (i.e. 2mm wide strips of 1.6mm FR4) up to 23cm, and they work.
And with a few cap trimmers and a VNA you can squeeze out some more MHz in flatness. Art brut at its finest !

Offline Neomys Sapiens

• Super Contributor
« Reply #68307 on: August 31, 2020, 04:58:46 pm »
Found on EBay Kleinanzeigen. I waited through several subsequent relistings until the price was down to 40.- from 75.-, at which point I first bothered to look at the picture with the original price. After checking that this is real, I did go for it.
(For those that don't know what it is: it is a Noga/Shaviv Deburring Tool with a number of blades, which do even include some not-so-common ones)

The following users thanked this post: Cubdriver, Mortymore, ch_scr, Kosmic

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #68308 on: August 31, 2020, 05:02:25 pm »
... up to VHF, this technique is fully OK: I made handbodged circuits with striplines (i.e. 2mm wide strips of 1.6mm FR4) up to 23cm, and they work.
And with a few cap trimmers and a VNA you can squeeze out some more MHz in flatness. Art brut at its finest !

Yeah it's pretty amazing really what you can screw out of this construction. I'm slowly collecting SMD capacitors and resistors at the moment and will go in that direction in the future. It's actually easier working with it.

Offline Neomys Sapiens

• Super Contributor
« Reply #68309 on: August 31, 2020, 05:04:55 pm »

Though at 1 MHz past your tested coverage it will, at least on odd numbered days or if the moon is full, become very hairy in S21 and jump suddenly and bite your rear in S11.

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, bd139

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #68310 on: August 31, 2020, 05:07:05 pm »
Fully expect that. That's where luck and debugging comes in  :-DD

(i did sweep it to 900MHz. It still has gain to 200MHz. Not bad for 2n3904's)

The following users thanked this post: Neomys Sapiens

Online Wolfgang

• Super Contributor
  • Its great if it finally works !
    • Electronic Projects for Fun
« Reply #68311 on: August 31, 2020, 05:21:24 pm »
plumbing done. 15dB preamplifier for this HF telemetry receiver. Worked out that if I don't want to talk to other people with the radio I can talk to myself and send data over it  :-DD

Now to wait 3 months for my ADE-1 mixers to arrive  :--. I'll work on the decoder PLL over next couple of weeks.

One comment though: The wire loop at the bottom of the right PCB is a breach of style. Straight out and a short squirt of coax would be perfect. :)
so you get an A mark on the aesthetics as well. If you cannot get an ADE-1, an old-style TUF-1 would probably work as well. They have some on the bay.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2020, 09:06:22 pm by Wolfgang »

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #68312 on: August 31, 2020, 05:30:22 pm »
Yeah they are tacked on for testing only. The sub modules will be soldered to a larger chunk of FR4 and hard wired. I didn’t want to end up cabling the whole thing with SMA as it’s expensive and unnecessary.

Got 5x ADE-1’s arriving from China for £7. Wonder if they’ll work  :-DD. TUF-1 is a good idea. They have some UK sources. I may get bored and just make a mixer.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2020, 05:31:56 pm by bd139 »

Offline AVGresponding

• Super Contributor
  • Exploring Rabbit Holes Since The 1970s
« Reply #68313 on: August 31, 2020, 07:39:45 pm »
Well, here's an update on the Keithley 2000.

Seller messaged me:

I don't know why but the payment email is wrong. I got one email for my Ebay account and another for my PayPal. fro some reason the listing made you pay the money at my Ebay email instead of my PayPal account email.
Please cancel the payment that is already made to *******@yahoo.com and pay it at ( *******@yahoo.co.uk ).
I will see why this happened after the transaction finish .. can't do anything as long there's an active transaction.
Sorry again for this delay ...but I realy had no idea that this was happening.

This looks a bit like someone either, (a) trying to cancel the transaction on the basis I cancelled the payment, or (b) circumvent eBay payment system to avoid seller fees/buyer protections.

Or ofc it could be just (c) me being paranoid.

nuqDaq yuch Dapol?
Addiction count: Agilent-AVO-BlackStar-Brymen-Chauvin Arnoux-Fluke-GenRad-Hameg-HP-Keithley-IsoTech-Mastech-Megger-Metrix-Micronta-Racal-RFL-Siglent-Solartron-Tektronix-Thurlby-Time Electronics-TTi-UniT

Offline mansaxel

• Super Contributor
  • SA0XLR
    • My very static home page
« Reply #68314 on: August 31, 2020, 07:43:19 pm »
(For those that don't know what it is: it is a Noga/Shaviv Deburring Tool

Ahhh, the Noga. ("noga" means "thorouhly" in swedish, which is hilarious to this easily amused tool fetishist...) The proper way to de-burr. I love mine, even if it is just the basic kit.

Offline factory

• Super Contributor
« Reply #68315 on: August 31, 2020, 07:49:53 pm »

Seller messaged me:

I don't know why but the payment email is wrong. I got one email for my Ebay account and another for my PayPal. fro some reason the listing made you pay the money at my Ebay email instead of my PayPal account email.
Please cancel the payment that is already made to *******@yahoo.com and pay it at ( *******@yahoo.co.uk ).
I will see why this happened after the transaction finish .. can't do anything as long there's an active transaction.

This looks a bit like someone either, (a) trying to cancel the transaction on the basis I cancelled the payment, or (b) circumvent eBay payment system to avoid seller fees/buyer protections.

They can add the other email to their paypal account if this is the issue.
Do they sell a lot on ebay or is this their first sale? If they are new to selling payments can get held by ePay.

David

Offline Robert763

• Super Contributor
« Reply #68316 on: August 31, 2020, 08:09:07 pm »
I Think that is enough for you to request ebay cancel the purchase becuase you are unhappy with paying to a different account. I assume you are still having a bit of bidders remorse.

Offline AVGresponding

• Super Contributor
« Reply #68317 on: August 31, 2020, 08:48:05 pm »
They can add the other email to their paypal account if this is the issue.
Do they sell a lot on ebay or is this their first sale? If they are new to selling payments can get held by ePay.

David

All their feedback for the last 12 months is as a buyer, so could be.

I Think that is enough for you to request ebay cancel the purchase becuase you are unhappy with paying to a different account. I assume you are still having a bit of bidders remorse.

No, it just means I need to do some overtime to pay for it.   :-DD

I'd be lucky to find another one at that price, with what's probably a relatively easy fix, even if it isn't the front/rear switch.
nuqDaq yuch Dapol?
Addiction count: Agilent-AVO-BlackStar-Brymen-Chauvin Arnoux-Fluke-GenRad-Hameg-HP-Keithley-IsoTech-Mastech-Megger-Metrix-Micronta-Racal-RFL-Siglent-Solartron-Tektronix-Thurlby-Time Electronics-TTi-UniT

The following users thanked this post: bd139

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #68318 on: August 31, 2020, 08:59:04 pm »

Seller messaged me:

I have a different fleabay and PayPal email address, and have never had any problems buying or selling.

In your circumstances I would want to ensure I didn't have two payments in flight simultaneously
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline AVGresponding

• Super Contributor
« Reply #68319 on: August 31, 2020, 09:12:19 pm »
I have a different fleabay and PayPal email address, and have never had any problems buying or selling.

In your circumstances I would want to ensure I didn't have two payments in flight simultaneously

Yep.

I've sent him the eBay help page link for it and asked him to check if his payment is being held.
nuqDaq yuch Dapol?

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #68320 on: August 31, 2020, 09:13:21 pm »

Seller messaged me:

Personally, I'd report this to eBay and walk away, it sounds like a scam to me. Once you pay via his other address, he gets the money, closes his PayPal account and walks away with the money and the meter. Ebay won't help you once you pay because it is outside of their system.

Yes you will lose the meter but that to me is a risk worth taking and know that I did the right thing and protect myself and tried to prevent him from scamming others as well.

Edit.
Actually I don't think that PayPal will allow a payment to be made to an email address that they do not recognise anyway, so if that is true, than it is a scam because the address that eBay gave you would be the address registered as the PayPal address for that account. Tread very carefully my friend.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2020, 09:27:13 pm by Specmaster »
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #68321 on: August 31, 2020, 09:42:10 pm »
Meantime, on a different topic, I have just a fantastic 2 part thriller called "Air Force One is Down" on Virgin Prime but I think it is available on other platforms as it was a TV show once.

Who let Murphy in?

Offline Neomys Sapiens

• Super Contributor
« Reply #68322 on: August 31, 2020, 10:11:16 pm »
(For those that don't know what it is: it is a Noga/Shaviv Deburring Tool

Ahhh, the Noga. ("noga" means "thorouhly" in swedish, which is hilarious to this easily amused tool fetishist...) The proper way to de-burr. I love mine, even if it is just the basic kit.
I already have a telescopic one and two pocket variants, so this kit will provide even more additional capabilities. They are a very useful type of tool for anyone working with metals, plastics and composites.

Offline Neomys Sapiens

• Super Contributor
« Reply #68323 on: August 31, 2020, 10:21:09 pm »
WARNING about seller on Ebay.de- Although I previously bought various articles in multiple batches, I have encountered a degree of incorrect behaviour fron the seller Charly****** that I see it as necessary to warn everyone from entering in business relations with this person.
My direct message via Ebay to group the articles in order to conclude the sale went without answer. My first 'request for total sum' also did not elicit any response. Two days after, the seller opened a complaint with Ebay about a unpaid article. Even then, a third request for total sum was not answered.
I will not buy again from C*****funken and can only warn anyone from doing so!

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, Ero-Shan

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist.
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf