Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 16749872 times)

TERRA Operative, Wolfgang, Cesar_D, duckduck and 45 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline McBryce

• Super Contributor
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #68275 on: August 31, 2020, 08:03:32 am »

That brings me back to engineering school days; memories.  That reminds me of Lisa in my classes.
Had to be careful as her father was a mathematics professor.  It was normal to get an engineering professor for our math classes, but you never knew until the beginning of the term if the class just might be taught by a math prof.

And I thought you meant this:

McBryce.

30 Years making cars more difficult to repair.

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #68276 on: August 31, 2020, 10:03:32 am »
It was a global outage. Level 3 fucked up. Not just you. Half the internet went  :palm: :palm: :palm:

Yeah, if a fat-fingered BGP "adjustment" ends up on the 3 minute news slot at the top of the hour in radio it is big. We've got CenturyLink as one transit provider at work. Not the only one, mind you. There was some scurrying around by management and others until the sessions were closed, and then things improved radically.

Yep. This was mostly crap because it took out CloudFlare I think which is the go to for edge caching. We lost our entire AD and SSO (Duo) during it which was something I warned about and was ignored of course. So when the phone lines lit up earlier no one could log in and look at it  :-DD

Wasn’t my on call weekend  :-DD

Looks like ClownFlare strikes again....  no surprise here.
“Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought. It always defeats order, because it is better organized.”            - Terry Pratchett -

The following users thanked this post: Zucca, bd139

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #68277 on: August 31, 2020, 10:30:08 am »
What was it that took the forum down this morning then? It was down for at least 30 minutes earlier today. :--
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #68278 on: August 31, 2020, 10:36:28 am »
gnif  :-DD

There's a proxy sitting in front of the actual forum software called nginx. That was working but the forum software behind it had crashed which is not unusual if PHP / forum software. I suspect that's because it's not set up properly. Usually for fairly small installations like this you have to tell systemd to Restart=always but I bet that's not in the config. Really there should be multiple workers load balanced behind nginx in this case (or haproxy - I much prefer that). I'd be up shit creek if that happened to any infrastructure under my remit.

Just got my laser printer. As always much larger than expected  :-DD
« Last Edit: August 31, 2020, 10:39:03 am by bd139 »

The following users thanked this post: PA0PBZ, mnementh, Specmaster, tonyalbus

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #68279 on: August 31, 2020, 10:41:33 am »
Surprised that you only got a mono laser printer though, colour is so much nicer and can double up as a photo printer.
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #68280 on: August 31, 2020, 10:44:37 am »
Surprised that you only got a mono laser printer though, colour is so much nicer and can double up as a photo printer.
My old Oki C5200 is brilliant quality on just plain paper and a real score as I was given it !
Love to find a duplex unit for it locally so to enable double side printing.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist.
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster

Offline mansaxel

• Super Contributor
  • SA0XLR
    • My very static home page
« Reply #68281 on: August 31, 2020, 10:52:36 am »

There's a proxy sitting in front of the actual forum software called nginx. That was working but the forum software behind it had crashed which is not unusual if PHP / forum software. I suspect that's because it's not set up properly. Usually for fairly small installations like this you have to tell systemd to Restart=always but I bet that's not in the config. Really there should be multiple workers load balanced behind nginx in this case (or haproxy - I much prefer that). I'd be up shit creek if that happened to any infrastructure under my remit.

Do you really think something so unorganised wrt state as this PHP festering pile of shite could be successfully scaled to multiple workers? Given that it apparently calls random() to retrieve picture ID's if you tickle it just a little bit, think of the things it could come up with if given the opportunity to fuck things up in parallel.

"Distributed Computing" -- A system where an error in a computer you did not know exists causes your program to crash

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #68282 on: August 31, 2020, 11:00:30 am »

Nah want bulk black and white printer and duplex. Colour duplex was out of budget and the toner costs a fortune.

Do you really think something so unorganised wrt state as this PHP festering pile of shite could be successfully scaled to multiple workers? Given that it apparently calls random() to retrieve picture ID's if you tickle it just a little bit, think of the things it could come up with if given the opportunity to fuck things up in parallel.

"Distributed Computing" -- A system where an error in a computer you did not know exists causes your program to crash

Oh yes it’s a whole world of pain isn’t it. But the question is: what isn’t a festering pile of shite on the web? I can’t think of anything  :-DD

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, Specmaster

Offline tonyalbus

• Frequent Contributor
  • To better understand, you need to open it ;-)
    • My Channel
« Reply #68283 on: August 31, 2020, 11:02:03 am »

Congrats... that will make you happy, the ease of use... change your cardrige only ones in 2 years.... great!
i have my old Kyocera 1030 10 years i guess with an old HP jetdirect 170 i think.. its using its 3th cardridge ;-)
and we do print...
Electronics enthusiast, TEA and Radio Amateur (PE1ONS)
Marconi  - TTi - Thandar - Thurmbly - HP - Fluke - Philips - Siglent - Owon - TEK - Anritsu - Keithley - AVO - BG7TBL
https://www.youtube.com/TonyAlbus

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster

Offline Saskia

• Super Contributor
  • you unlock this door with the key of imagination
« Reply #68284 on: August 31, 2020, 11:09:04 am »
Got a Kyocera mono and a Samsung color lp for 10 pesos apiece at a flea market. Normally printing with a Samsung mlp3710 duplex which cost me a hundred including the 2nd tray.
The T+A TMR 80 is back among the living. Need to verify tweeter operation with the Montan, but don't have the extremely specific test CD handy. Oh well, it will have to wait. Good thing the vendor still supports it and can repair the ribbon tweeters for 130€ apiece. Still worth it for a 4000 pesos speaker.

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, Specmaster, tonyalbus

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #68285 on: August 31, 2020, 11:09:36 am »
Oh yes it’s a whole world of pain isn’t it. But the question is: what isn’t a festering pile of shite on the web? I can’t think of anything  :-DD

Oh! A follower of Stanislaw Lem.  :-+  :D

Here, this one you'll like for sure.  ;D

Source
“Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought. It always defeats order, because it is better organized.”            - Terry Pratchett -

The following users thanked this post: bitseeker, med6753, mnementh, Specmaster, Neomys Sapiens, bd139, AVGresponding, tonyalbus

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #68286 on: August 31, 2020, 11:13:59 am »

Edit: half tempted to bag that second hand unused Siglent SDG1032X on eBay at the moment. Only problem is it’s 10% off usual retail price. Is it worth losing supplier warranty for a £25 saving? No stock at Telonic though.

It would of course be instantly persuaded that it’s an SDG1062X  :-DD
Got 2 in a shipment on Thursday and both gone already.  |O
Ordered 4 more and hopefully will have a few in stock for a bit longer.
And 8 DSO's, 4 SA's, 2 PSU's and 3 EMI option promo packages.
Should be good for stock again for a bit, broke but good.  :phew:
Avid Rabid Hobbyist.
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

The following users thanked this post: tonyalbus

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #68287 on: August 31, 2020, 11:45:10 am »
No time to linger... just survived first night in the new place.  :phew:

It's a 80s tract housing duplex that has been "by owner" renovated, so pretty much a shithole with a lot of fresh paint, cheap Pergo floors and smart appointments; our old place was positively palatial in comparison. But it was what we could get with our crappy credit, and we'd run out of time for home shopping, so it's gonna have to do until we can get properly established here in the GWN. There have been some hopeful developments in that area, but I won't go into detail lest I jinx it.

Okies... gotta run; baby grrl is up and wants brekkerzz.

mnem
"Today is the first day of the rest of your miserable existence." ~some asshole on the internet

alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

The following users thanked this post: bd139, Kosmic, tonyalbus

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #68288 on: August 31, 2020, 11:51:59 am »

It's a 80s tract housing duplex that has been "by owner" renovated, so pretty much a shithole with a lot of fresh paint, cheap Pergo floors and smart appointments; our old place was positively palatial in comparison. But it was what we could get with our crappy credit, and we'd run out of time for home shopping, so it's gonna have to do until we can get properly established here in the GWN. There have been some hopeful developments in that area, but I won't go into detail lest I jinx it.

mnem
"Today is the first day of the rest of your miserable existence." ~some asshole on the internet

So thats a mixed bag update but overall I'd say that it sounded slightly upbeat and keeping fingers crossed for you in the employment stakes, wishing you good luck in that dept. :-+
Who let Murphy in?

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #68289 on: August 31, 2020, 12:02:42 pm »

mnem

As long as you are not Rincewind ...  ;D

The Lady

Offline tonyalbus

• Frequent Contributor
  • To better understand, you need to open it ;-)
    • My Channel
« Reply #68290 on: August 31, 2020, 12:07:28 pm »

Oh! A follower of Stanislaw Lem.  :-+  :D

Here, this one you'll like for sure.  ;D

Source

Electronics enthusiast, TEA and Radio Amateur (PE1ONS)
Marconi  - TTi - Thandar - Thurmbly - HP - Fluke - Philips - Siglent - Owon - TEK - Anritsu - Keithley - AVO - BG7TBL
https://www.youtube.com/TonyAlbus

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #68291 on: August 31, 2020, 12:41:20 pm »
(SNIP)

mnem

As long as you are not Rincewind ...  ;D   The Lady
I fucking wish; lucky bastard has The Luggage:-DD

Having on-demand a fresh pair of slightly-lavender-scented skivvies in dwagon-size is no mean feat; that alone would be a life-changing effect. And the "it's bigger on the inside" side-effect... and it occasionally eating one's enemies...

Yeah... a dwagon could get used to dat.  >:D

Currently, TV and laptop plugged in via cat5; baby grrl is in clean clothes and watching the live-action Dora movie while I plot her brekkerzz and kvetch in here a little. Doing pretty good for a ol' fat bastahd who's been abusing a broken back for two weeks. Wifey is off on first day of her new "job-oid" volunteer position at a local private school; that is as much as I dare say aboot that.

Truth be told... while the dwagon may fancy himself a scaly version of Jurgen, there is a lot more of Rincewind than I'd care to admit; maybe a dash of Thomas Covenant with some Cassandra chaser courtesy my wicked-smart mum.

Is it any wonder Murphy has taken a personal interest in my life...?  :o

mnem
"I'm.... complicated." ~Dorian Grey
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

The following users thanked this post: BU508A

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #68292 on: August 31, 2020, 02:11:00 pm »
Non TE stuff today. Just changed the oil in the CR-V and checked over the underbody. Looks good. Only has 43,939 miles on it anyway. You metric boys can do the conversion yourself. I'm tired.  :o Seems I'm getting too old to be crawling around under a vehicle. Stuff is stiff and sore now.  :phew:

I need to lay down.  :P
An old gray beard with an attitude.

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, Specmaster

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #68293 on: August 31, 2020, 02:22:12 pm »

Up on the bench this morning: Curb-score PC from Canuck Computerzz.

Picked this up while moving yesterday; haven't even looked at it yet to keep it a surprise. Obviously somebody's old teenager gaming rig; hopes aren't high as it has an optical drive so likely at least 5 years old and no PSU so "Ehhhhh..."

I figured worst case, I get a classic Frontier ATX Mid-tower for free to build a HTPC or bedroom PC in. :-//

EDIT: Please forgive the crappy smartPwn pic. Ya use whatcha gottzz, ehh...!?!

mnem
 :-/O
« Last Edit: August 31, 2020, 02:24:29 pm by mnementh »

The following users thanked this post: bd139, tonyalbus

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #68294 on: August 31, 2020, 02:25:16 pm »
I think I'll move to Canada. The freaking Canuks seem to enjoy throwing away perfectly good equipment.  :-//
An old gray beard with an attitude.

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, Specmaster, AVGresponding, tonyalbus

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #68295 on: August 31, 2020, 02:28:58 pm »
Either that or they're sensible enough to chuck it on the street once the cat has pissed in it  :-DD

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #68296 on: August 31, 2020, 02:38:00 pm »
Non TE stuff today. Just changed the oil in the CR-V and checked over the underbody. Looks good. Only has 43,939 miles on it anyway. You metric boys can do the conversion yourself. I'm tired.  :o Seems I'm getting too old to be crawling around under a vehicle. Stuff is stiff and sore now.  :phew:

I need to lay down.  :P
I can fully understand that. I have mine serviced by the dealer for the same reasons, but it is very expensive. I might have to train my boys in the art of car maintenance and only take it to a garage for the complicated stuff   :-+
Who let Murphy in?

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #68297 on: August 31, 2020, 02:48:42 pm »
I think I'll move to Canada. The freaking Canuks seem to enjoy throwing away perfectly good equipment.  :-//
Yep, I think I might be joining you as well. Never find anything like that over here.
Who let Murphy in?

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #68298 on: August 31, 2020, 03:00:22 pm »
Yep, I think I might be joining you as well. Never find anything like that over here.
Ehhh... not exactly perfectly good. 10 or more years old; a SLB5M Core 2 Quad Q8200 2.33GHz with 4GB Crucial DDR2/800 RAM and 1GB Sapphire ATi Radeon HD5450 GPU on a MSI MS-7529 G45 Chipset MB with only a few bloaty caps.  :palm: Oh, and a Toshiba SSH-223 DVD-RW drive. |O

While in principle I could get Ubuntu or even Win10 to install on it, what would I have by the time it finished sometime in the middle of next week...?

Certainly not worth the time/assache of recapping the board or even a cheap bulk Win10 license.

I think I'm much better off just getting it lit up long enough to take pics and flip the naughty bits on fleaBay for a few dollars towards something useful.

Or toss the RAM & GPU in the back of the parts bin for testing/diag porpoises... there they might actually make me some money.

mnem
« Last Edit: August 31, 2020, 03:06:05 pm by mnementh »

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #68299 on: August 31, 2020, 03:10:04 pm »
Ehhh... not exactly perfectly good. 10 or more years old; a SLB5M Core 2 Quad Q8200 2.33GHz with 4GB Crucial DDR2/800 RAM and 1GB Sapphire ATi Radeon HD5450 GPU on a MSI MS-7529 G45 Chipset MB with only a few bloaty caps.  :palm: Oh, and a Toshiba SSH-223 DVD-RW drive. |O

While in principle I could get Ubuntu or even Win10 to install on it, what would I have by the time it finished sometime in the middle of next week...?

Certainly not worth the time/assache of recapping the board or even a cheap bulk Win10 license.

I think I'm much better off just getting it lit up long enough to take pics and flip the naughty bits on fleaBay for a few dollars towards something useful.

Or toss the RAM & GPU in the back of the parts bin for testing/diag porpoises... there they might actually make me some money.

mnem

Well thats not too bad, is it? A free mid tower case, and other bits that can be flipped on fleaBay  or as you said, chucked in the spares bin for later use, its still more than you started out with, thats always a win in my book  :-+
Who let Murphy in?

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf