Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 16749840 times)

TERRA Operative, Wolfgang, Cesar_D, duckduck and 40 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline nixiefreqq

• Super Contributor
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #68200 on: August 30, 2020, 02:58:53 pm »
hey!  looks like my internet is back up.

damn isp had dorked something and was not getting any dns resolution.  then it got intermittent.  now it appears to be working  wooooohoooo!

gotta run though.   my old boss is coming over to do return loss tests on some 10 Ghz feedhorns.  who knew that feedhorns can be adjusted?  not me.

gotta go turn on the SA and the sweeper to warm up the yigs. 
free range primate

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #68201 on: August 30, 2020, 02:59:24 pm »
It was a global outage. Level 3 fucked up. Not just you. Half the internet went  :palm: :palm: :palm:

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #68202 on: August 30, 2020, 03:04:53 pm »
It was a global outage. Level 3 fucked up. Not just you. Half the internet went  :palm: :palm: :palm:

Really? I didn't have any issues although I wasn't on much this morning.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2020, 03:08:24 pm by med6753 »
An old gray beard with an attitude.

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #68203 on: August 30, 2020, 03:07:58 pm »
More plug-in woes. This time 7A24 Vertical plug-in. Intermittent bounce on the Channel 1 trace similar to if you were pushing the “Identify” button. Channel 2 is OK. It's not really a big deal, just slightly annoying. So today pulled the covers and got the Siglent ready to do battle.

Except the plug-in decided not to show up for the show down. It's been on for almost 2 hours and maybe once every 10 minutes or so I see it bounce slightly. Certainly can't troubleshoot that. So I did a few pro active things like checked the DC balance pot (is OK) and noticed some noise of the variable control. Deoxit on that. It seemed to help but can't be totally sure. Other than that isn't much more I can do until it decides to fail consistently.

Put the shields back on the plug-in to heat it up more and so far it's steady. I fully expect it to start with it's antics at a later date. That's how my luck goes. :-//  Later this week if the mood strikes me I may tackle the Type 1A2 plug-in fubar. That will be a hoot.  :palm:

The following users thanked this post: Zucca, BU508A, mnementh, capt bullshot, wolfy007, ch_scr, Kosmic, tonyalbus

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #68204 on: August 30, 2020, 03:45:40 pm »
No problems here either. I hope it gets sorted quickly, I have some items on eBay that finish tomorrow on bids, I'd like to get a bit more for them if I can  :-DD
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #68205 on: August 30, 2020, 03:49:33 pm »
More plug-in woes. This time 7A24 Vertical plug-in. Intermittent bounce on the Channel 1 trace similar to if you were pushing the “Identify” button. Channel 2 is OK. It's not really a big deal, just slightly annoying. So today pulled the covers and got the Siglent ready to do battle.

Except the plug-in decided not to show up for the show down. It's been on for almost 2 hours and maybe once every 10 minutes or so I see it bounce slightly. Certainly can't troubleshoot that. So I did a few pro active things like checked the DC balance pot (is OK) and noticed some noise of the variable control. Deoxit on that. It seemed to help but can't be totally sure. Other than that isn't much more I can do until it decides to fail consistently.

Put the shields back on the plug-in to heat it up more and so far it's steady. I fully expect it to start with it's antics at a later date. That's how my luck goes. :-//  Later this week if the mood strikes me I may tackle the Type 1A2 plug-in fubar. That will be a hoot.  :palm:

This might be a long shot, but was the temperature like the other day when the thing played up compared with today's temperature?
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline JohnPen

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #68206 on: August 30, 2020, 04:09:00 pm »
The bounce might be caused by a faulty capacitor.  Many years back on a Colour Telecine machine, one colour channel, kept getting a walking line tracking down the frame very intermittently.  It particularly liked to happen when live on air.  It was eventually traced to a single coupling capacitor in the amplifier chain.  Moving a scope connection back up the chain and judicious use of Artic spray and a Hot air gun helped but didn't guarantee the fault which had a mind of it's own.  It also was very likely happen just after one walked away in disgust and a colleague then saw it happen.  Best of luck med6753 and keep patient.

John P

Offline mansaxel

• Super Contributor
  • SA0XLR
    • My very static home page
« Reply #68207 on: August 30, 2020, 04:27:08 pm »

Yeah, if a fat-fingered BGP "adjustment" ends up on the 3 minute news slot at the top of the hour in radio it is big. We've got CenturyLink as one transit provider at work. Not the only one, mind you. There was some scurrying around by management and others until the sessions were closed, and then things improved radically.

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #68208 on: August 30, 2020, 04:41:16 pm »

This might be a long shot, but was the temperature like the other day when the thing played up compared with today's temperature?

Ambient temperature/humidity about the same.

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #68209 on: August 30, 2020, 04:45:36 pm »
1056950-0
The bounce might be caused by a faulty capacitor.  Many years back on a Colour Telecine machine, one colour channel, kept getting a walking line tracking down the frame very intermittently.  It particularly liked to happen when live on air.  It was eventually traced to a single coupling capacitor in the amplifier chain.  Moving a scope connection back up the chain and judicious use of Artic spray and a Hot air gun helped but didn't guarantee the fault which had a mind of it's own.  It also was very likely happen just after one walked away in disgust and a colleague then saw it happen.  Best of luck med6753 and keep patient.

John P

Yea, most likely. Problem is I'm out of freeze spray. I have order more. This plug-in is entirely those round 16 pin custom Tek IC's. If one of them is causing the issue good luck to me.  :scared:

The bounce is sort of like this but a lot less entertaining and doesn't happen very often.  :-DD

Edit, fixed.  :-DD

« Last Edit: August 30, 2020, 05:01:52 pm by med6753 »

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster, Kosmic, tonyalbus

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #68210 on: August 30, 2020, 04:52:56 pm »

Yeah, if a fat-fingered BGP "adjustment" ends up on the 3 minute news slot at the top of the hour in radio it is big. We've got CenturyLink as one transit provider at work. Not the only one, mind you. There was some scurrying around by management and others until the sessions were closed, and then things improved radically.

Yep. This was mostly crap because it took out CloudFlare I think which is the go to for edge caching. We lost our entire AD and SSO (Duo) during it which was something I warned about and was ignored of course. So when the phone lines lit up earlier no one could log in and look at it  :-DD

Wasn’t my on call weekend  :-DD

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #68211 on: August 30, 2020, 04:53:53 pm »
I can't believe Summer is almost over. The apples are just about ripe. Next week the orchards open and the obnoxious and loud city folk show up clogging the roads. With the prior pandemic I'm sure this year they'll be out in record numbers. Thankfully by Oct 31 they go home and stay home.  ::)

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #68212 on: August 30, 2020, 04:54:48 pm »
Ahh apples. I remember them. Mr fuckity cunt the squirrel stole all mine this year. Next year he’s getting an extra and final orifice.

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, Specmaster

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #68213 on: August 30, 2020, 04:56:05 pm »
Ahh apples. I remember them. Mr fuckity cunt the squirrel stole all mine this year. Next year he’s getting an extra and final orifice.

I send you some if you promise to stay home.  :P :P :-DD

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, bd139

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #68214 on: August 30, 2020, 05:03:46 pm »
Hahahaha  :-DD.

Really pisses me off when people migrate like that. You get them here, foraging in the bushes on the inside of blind corners on country lanes. I nearly wiped out a whole family once with my Land Rover  :-DD

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #68215 on: August 30, 2020, 05:09:31 pm »
Ahh, but mine just requires a schoolboy, pencil, paper and the letters x, y, w, two brackets and two full stops; you're going to have to find a real proper line printer from somewhere and a box of fan-fold paper to do real justice to golden age ASCII pr0n.  :)

A trivial challenge. Haven't found my GPO Tower, though.
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster, ch_scr

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #68216 on: August 30, 2020, 05:16:26 pm »
I hope you all realize that as soon as Saskia sees this we are going to have to "unsee" some beefcake.  :palm:

Fair is fair I guess.  ;D

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, Specmaster, wolfy007

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #68217 on: August 30, 2020, 05:25:05 pm »
I never knew squirrels eat apples, all they ever eat in my garden is nuts, not surprising really as I don't have any apple trees for them  :-DD
Who let Murphy in?

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #68218 on: August 30, 2020, 05:31:00 pm »
If there’s no nuts they eat the fruit. Bastards!

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #68219 on: August 30, 2020, 05:32:30 pm »

And birdseed. Damn tree rats.  |O

The following users thanked this post: bd139

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #68220 on: August 30, 2020, 05:38:59 pm »
I have learnt something today then. I quite like them, we have a family of them somewhere near us, and they are quite tame, they let you get upto about 6 feet away from them. They also are not scared of my cats either, and they can often be seen in proximity to each other, the squirrels are always that one step ahead of the cats though.
Who let Murphy in?

Offline tonyalbus

• Frequent Contributor
  • To better understand, you need to open it ;-)
    • My Channel
« Reply #68221 on: August 30, 2020, 05:47:14 pm »
Got that smelly, sticky alsmost broken HP 5315B Working again.

Electronics enthusiast, TEA and Radio Amateur (PE1ONS)
Marconi  - TTi - Thandar - Thurmbly - HP - Fluke - Philips - Siglent - Owon - TEK - Anritsu - Keithley - AVO - BG7TBL
https://www.youtube.com/TonyAlbus

The following users thanked this post: bitseeker, wolfy007, bd139, FransW, BILLPOD

Offline mansaxel

• Super Contributor
  • SA0XLR
    • My very static home page
« Reply #68222 on: August 30, 2020, 06:15:05 pm »
Got that smelly, sticky alsmost broken HP 5315B Working again.

Excellent! One thing interests me; the hp is not simply obedient to the extref, it uses it as suggestion. Quite interesting design choice; the counters I've got (TTi TF830 and a small Philips) just throw out their own oscillator and immediately obey the incoming signal.

Offline Neomys Sapiens

• Super Contributor
« Reply #68223 on: August 30, 2020, 06:20:53 pm »
Two weeks late, but I had good excuses. The next <Toolpr0n> part, with the remainder of the alingnment toolkits.
A triple of Bernstein kits (bronze blades, special plastic, and one for Radio/TV:
1057002-0

A kit from the (defunct) company FriDaRem:
1057006-1

A special kit for Telefunken mobile radios with some additions:
1057010-2

A large kit from GC Electronics from the US, which also had to take some add-ons:
1057014-3
1057018-4
1057022-5

And my preferred Bernstein kit (guess what - slightly modified) and a ceramic aligner:
1057026-6

Phew. So, what to do next? Maybe saws?

The following users thanked this post: BU508A, med6753, mnementh, Specmaster, Kosmic, tonyalbus

Online Kosmic

• Super Contributor
« Reply #68224 on: August 30, 2020, 06:25:48 pm »
Two weeks late, but I had good excuses. The next <Toolpr0n> part, with the remainder of the alingnment toolkits.

Nice collection NS  :-+

The following users thanked this post: Neomys Sapiens

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf