Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 16754314 times)

wkb, Vince and 26 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #68050 on: August 28, 2020, 01:07:48 pm »

mnem
Just because it STILL makes me chuckle whenever I see it.  >:D
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline tonyalbus

• Frequent Contributor
  • To better understand, you need to open it ;-)
    • My Channel
« Reply #68051 on: August 28, 2020, 01:20:27 pm »
.... and the 4" screen version.

for the NanoVNA i was late, so i could indeed have the 4" , when that arrived .......The V2 came  :-DD (even having the 4" i was too soon and am old already)
now i could not wait and wanted it, just to try... and a 4" will come and a 4"' V2 will come ... it is was it is..
i will be stuck with this small V1... but i did play with it and will then not need the others to come.
one of each is fine with this type of toys..........
oh..wait..  :-DD  :-DD  :-DD
Electronics enthusiast, TEA and Radio Amateur (PE1ONS)
Marconi  - TTi - Thandar - Thurmbly - HP - Fluke - Philips - Siglent - Owon - TEK - Anritsu - Keithley - AVO - BG7TBL
https://www.youtube.com/TonyAlbus

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #68052 on: August 28, 2020, 01:24:15 pm »
I figure by the time the 4" NanoVNA V2 ships, there'll be full-featured SA firmware available and I'll only "need" to buy it once.  >:D

mnem
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

The following users thanked this post: tonyalbus

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #68053 on: August 28, 2020, 01:28:19 pm »
But you need the tinySA to fix the NanoVNA when you blow it up and the NanoVNA to test the tinySA when you blow it up  :-DD

Edit: got to be honest the screen size on these doesn't bother me but the crapness of the touch screen does. Firstly it's not designed to be oriented that way but vertically which causes it to look funny. Secondly it's a resistive touch screen which is just horrible. But at the price I'm gonna shut up now and use it  :-DD
« Last Edit: August 28, 2020, 01:29:55 pm by bd139 »

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, tonyalbus

Offline tonyalbus

• Frequent Contributor
    • My Channel
« Reply #68054 on: August 28, 2020, 01:31:01 pm »
But you need the tinySA to fix the NanoVNA when you blow it up and the NanoVNA to test the tinySA when you blow it up  :-DD

Edit: got to be honest the screen size on these doesn't bother me but the crapness of the touch screen does. Firstly it's not designed to be oriented that way but vertically which causes it to look funny. Secondly it's a resistive touch screen which is just horrible. But at the price I'm gonna shut up now and use it  :-DD

WHEN  :-DD :-DD :-DD not even IF  :-DD :-DD

yes hope its not crap... will let you guys know!
Marconi  - TTi - Thandar - Thurmbly - HP - Fluke - Philips - Siglent - Owon - TEK - Anritsu - Keithley - AVO - BG7TBL

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #68055 on: August 28, 2020, 01:34:20 pm »
Definitely a when here. Spectrum analysers are notoriously fragile. I'm sure I will blow mine up when I get it. One of the attractions of this particular one is that if you do blow it up then it doesn't mean crying like a baby for several days  :-DD

I'm still on the market for a half decent HP one, preferably with tracking gen or at least with LO out, but the entire supply seems to have dried up at the moment or has gone "stupid price".

Offline tonyalbus

• Frequent Contributor
    • My Channel
« Reply #68056 on: August 28, 2020, 01:37:34 pm »
Definitely a when here. Spectrum analysers are notoriously fragile. I'm sure I will blow mine up when I get it. One of the attractions of this particular one is that if you do blow it up then it doesn't mean crying like a baby for several days  :-DD

I'm still on the market for a half decent HP one, preferably with tracking gen or at least with LO out, but the entire supply seems to have dried up at the moment or has gone "stupid price".

Agreed second hand SA with TG are crazy prizes..... then when i win the lottery.. i buy new a Siglent 3021 / 3032 for 75% of the price of a secondhand HP/keysight, its silly

Offline AVGresponding

• Super Contributor
  • Exploring Rabbit Holes Since The 1970s
« Reply #68057 on: August 28, 2020, 01:39:38 pm »
These light bulbs are the light source for projecting the digits to front. Wow!  :o

Fran at Franlab did a video on the IEE Readout display:

https://youtu.be/0TD_MhPpZKg

That thing's likely to be a better room heater than an old all-valve scope!

Fran's repair of the full alpha-numeric display was very interesting. The Swiss watch of display technology.

The seller hasn't accepted yet, and I'll not be surprised if they come up with some excuse to void the auction. If they accept my paypal payment, I'm the new d'Oh-ner of a Keithley 2000, price £256 shipped (no I can't afford it).   |O
New at Farnell they are £837, so not a bad price if you get it and its fixable at a good price  :-+

Not to fan the flames or nuttin',  >:D but there's a few on fleaBay right now from vendor BestTestUS supposedly tested good for $399, altho the VFDs do appear a tad dim in photos: https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=keithley+2000&_sop=15

mnem
 :popcorn:

The seller still hasn't accepted the paypal payment yet...

nuqDaq yuch Dapol?
Addiction count: Agilent-AVO-BlackStar-Brymen-Chauvin Arnoux-Fluke-GenRad-Hameg-HP-Keithley-IsoTech-Mastech-Megger-Metrix-Micronta-Racal-RFL-Siglent-Solartron-Tektronix-Thurlby-Time Electronics-TTi-UniT

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #68058 on: August 28, 2020, 01:41:27 pm »

Agreed second hand SA with TG are crazy prizes..... then when i win the lottery.. i buy new a Siglent 3021 / 3032 for 75% of the price of a secondhand HP/keysight, its silly

Yeah. The Rigol DSA815-TG is "reasonably" (hahaha) priced at £1140 here new and I've seen them go for £750 on ebay. Annoyingly there was one that was sold as a buy it now for £400 last year which I missed. I really hated myself for missing that.

Go back 10 years ago and the HP 8500 series with TG were flying out for £300 a go. No longer :(

Offline tonyalbus

• Frequent Contributor
    • My Channel
« Reply #68059 on: August 28, 2020, 01:45:11 pm »

Yeah. The Rigol DSA815-TG is "reasonably" (hahaha) priced at £1140 here new and I've seen them go for £750 on ebay. Annoyingly there was one that was sold as a buy it now for £400 last year which I missed. I really hated myself for missing that.

Go back 10 years ago and the HP 8500 series with TG were flying out for £300 a go. No longer :(

Have seen compairs between DSA815-TG and Siglent SSA3021 and the siglent seems worth the extra 300,- ...but then...it all starts to be less reasonable prices... yes lottery then  :-DD

Offline tonyalbus

• Frequent Contributor
    • My Channel
« Reply #68060 on: August 28, 2020, 01:46:54 pm »
It is btw possible to buy a 2Ghz SA in Poland on Ebay for 240,- and get a free part-unit  :-DD
i did needed to buy a 10,- Noise source

[Edit] typo

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #68061 on: August 28, 2020, 01:48:48 pm »
You can make your own shitty noise source for about $1 :)

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/test-equipment-anonymous-(tea)-group-therapy-thread/msg1856271/#msg1856271

Edit: I should go find that in the cupboard and try it with my new SA.

Edit 2: meant to mention that the E3630A seller sent me a shipping label. Boo hiss  :-DD :-DD
« Last Edit: August 28, 2020, 01:51:29 pm by bd139 »

Offline tonyalbus

• Frequent Contributor
    • My Channel
« Reply #68062 on: August 28, 2020, 01:50:56 pm »
Cool  8) :-+

Offline McBryce

• Super Contributor
« Reply #68063 on: August 28, 2020, 01:51:56 pm »
Interesting: https://www.tinysa.org/wiki/

Too bad it's another tiny touchscreen I can't see anymore. Yes, I know it can be connected to a PC; so can the NanoVNA or my Hantek 6022BL. Which is now stashed away in its case in the back of a drawer, probably never to see the light of day again until I Goodwill or eBay it.  :palm:

Well... there IS a chance it will get used as a LA... whatevs.  ::) Point is... why do they always design around the absolute cheapest POS postage-stamp-sized screen, which usually comes with some weird implementation of whatever interface it uses and/or weird configuration of software libraries,  when 4" and even larger are SO damned cheap...?  |O

FFS, design around a screen so the interface & libraries support the broadest range of screens/digitizers so people can buy the screen they need and just plug it in, dammit.  >:(

mnem
 :popcorn:

If they used a bigger screen, they couldn't call it Tiny/Nano or whatever. Looks like they've got a marketing department :D

McBryce.
30 Years making cars more difficult to repair.

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #68064 on: August 28, 2020, 01:52:54 pm »
Could call it super-mega-VNA  :-DD

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster, Mortymore, tonyalbus

Offline Robert763

• Super Contributor
« Reply #68065 on: August 28, 2020, 02:14:13 pm »

There is a R&S CRTU-RU on ebay UK at the moment for £750. That's a 2.7GHz SA with 50W input rating (200W peak) AND a Signal Generator AND a uW  to 50W power meter  (wide or narrowband). With a PC and free R&S software (FreRes) you get tracking generator / scalar network analyser (with offset frequencies) functionality. It covers the 2.4GHz band which a Siglent 3021 does not. A SSA3032 is twice as much. Neither have a proper signal generator.
(connection to seller  >:D )

Offline tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #68066 on: August 28, 2020, 02:16:30 pm »
You can make your own shitty noise source for about $1 :)

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/test-equipment-anonymous-(tea)-group-therapy-thread/msg1856271/#msg1856271

Edit: I should go find that in the cupboard and try it with my new SA.

~4GHz ones are available on fleabay.

Pitfalls:
  • DC cnmponent stuffed into a SA input will be unkind
  • watch the total power output, which is what the SA mixer cares about; the power at the frequency of interest will be much lower, of course
  • any nonlinearity will result in intermod products being inconveniently splattered just where you are looking
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

The following users thanked this post: bd139, tonyalbus

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #68067 on: August 28, 2020, 02:21:24 pm »

There is a R&S CRTU-RU on ebay UK at the moment for £750. That's a 2.7GHz SA with 50W input rating (200W peak) AND a Signal Generator AND a uW  to 50W power meter  (wide or narrowband). With a PC and free R&S software (FreRes) you get tracking generator / scalar network analyser (with offset frequencies) functionality. It covers the 2.4GHz band which a Siglent 3021 does not. A SSA3032 is twice as much. Neither have a proper signal generator.
(connection to seller  >:D )

* bd139 lists a kidney  :-DD

Offline tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #68068 on: August 28, 2020, 02:35:37 pm »
Talking of spectrum analysers, there are lots of Agilent E4402B 100Hz-3GHz and HP 8560E 30Hz-2.9GHz (and other things) are in the Ramco auction https://www.bidspotter.co.uk/en-gb/auction-catalogues/timed/ramco/catalogue-id-ramco-10236
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #68069 on: August 28, 2020, 02:45:50 pm »
<--------Only recently ventured into the world of HP.

<--------Is perfectly happy working in "MHz". Has nothing requiring "GHz".

<--------Should he get an SA to be part of the cool crowd or should he remain a dork?

<--------Decisions, decisions.  :-// :-DD
An old gray beard with an attitude.

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster

Online BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #68070 on: August 28, 2020, 02:50:34 pm »
<--------Should he get an SA to be part of the cool crowd or should he remain a dork?

Depends. Do you live in a tower?

;D
“Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought. It always defeats order, because it is better organized.”            - Terry Pratchett -

Offline Wolfgang

• Super Contributor
  • Its great if it finally works !
    • Electronic Projects for Fun
« Reply #68071 on: August 28, 2020, 02:52:16 pm »

The most important feature of an SA is the 30dB power attenuator screwed in permanently at the input.  >:D

The following users thanked this post: bd139, tonyalbus

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #68072 on: August 28, 2020, 02:56:33 pm »

;D

Well, my apartment (flat) is on the 2nd floor. Perhaps so.  :-DD

Hey, I do have 6.5 digits (Fluke 8505A) but no need for it.  :-// ;D
An old gray beard with an attitude.

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #68073 on: August 28, 2020, 02:58:39 pm »

;D

My takeaway from that page:   

Good advice for life, actually.  :-DD

mnem
« Last Edit: August 28, 2020, 03:00:34 pm by mnementh »

The following users thanked this post: BU508A

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #68074 on: August 28, 2020, 03:27:45 pm »

The most important feature of an SA is the 30dB power attenuator screwed in permanently at the input.  >:D

And the DC block  :-DD

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf