Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 17571185 times)

Vince and 52 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline mansaxel

• Super Contributor
  • SA0XLR
    • My very static home page
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #67975 on: August 27, 2020, 05:07:38 pm »

I Just received the power sensors I scored on ebay recently

Holy mother lode, Batman!

Offline Kosmic

• Super Contributor
« Reply #67976 on: August 27, 2020, 05:09:10 pm »
Hey guys... anyone anywhere near my neck of the GWN (Ontario), I need to pick a brain. What are the ISP plans you have available and how much?

We need to get internet at the new place, and our options appear to be Bell FTTN (so TP copper to the house - fuck that noize) and Rogers Cable or some TPIA reselling the same.  |O

Problem is, cheapest I can find for our new address is 150/15 plan at $99/mo! That is "Are you fucking high on crack!!" rates compared to the $60/mo we're currently paying for the same service from them via the property owner; obviously they're trying to force you to switch up to their .5Gb or 1.0Gb plans for 10/20 dollars more.  :palm:

So... any real, current data (not just random pissing/moaning on reddit, etc) would be a great help here.

Cheers,

mnem
 :wtf:

I'm with Virgin, got 50/10 and it's 60$/month (45$ the 1st year). 100/10 is 70$/month (55$ the 1st year).

N.B: Virgin in Canada is now owned by Bell so in the end the service is similar.
N.B #2: Yeah Internet is expensive in Canada  :(
« Last Edit: August 27, 2020, 05:13:47 pm by Kosmic »

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #67977 on: August 27, 2020, 05:18:38 pm »
Working on the Pioneer VSX-3800 Receiver. Turns out the distortion is only on the input from the Media PC and it's nothing more than dirty RCA jacks. Deoxit to the rescue.

A view of the internals. This guy is one of the few more modern "consumer" amps that still uses discrete transistors in the output rather than those all in one units. Probably because it's rated for 100 watts RMS.

All the capacitors are original. Unlike TE I usually don't bother re-capping the audio stuff. If it craps out go out on Craigslist and find something else. The audio stuff is a dime a dozen and all the stuff I currently have (except the speakers) came from CL.

An old gray beard with an attitude.

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, Specmaster, tonyalbus

Offline McBryce

• Super Contributor
« Reply #67978 on: August 27, 2020, 05:44:15 pm »
Public Service Announcement

All HP 3478A owners:
  • Clean your front/rear switch
  • Replace your RIFA caps
  • Back up your cal data
  • Check your SRAM battery voltage (replace as needed; see also #3)

Everyone else: Don't forget when the next item on your auction watchlist ends.  8)

Is there any easy way of backing up the cal data? I replaced the battery last year (without losing the cal data), but it would be nice to have it stored safely somewhere else.

McBryce.

There have been several threads on it. This is one I had handy: https://www.eevblog.com/forum/repair/hp-3478a-how-to-readwrite-cal-sram/

Also, I've seen at least a couple of programs folks have written to download and restore the cal data.

Cal data backed up. I saved it onto a 5.25in floppy, just to keep it authentic :)

McBryce.

@McBryce, so that link was okey ? wich methode did you use? or you have some tips?

I used this: https://github.com/pigrew/HP3478Ctrl/releases/tag/v0.20170630

McBryce.

Thanks..will try... i do not have any development enviroment...but maybe when i unzip i get some files i can install...thanks  :-+

I have the latest NI-VISA drivers and Agilent BenchVue installed. VISA is definitely needed for it to work. If you don't have it installed the program will just report errors.

McBryce.
30 Years making cars more difficult to repair.

The following users thanked this post: tonyalbus

Offline Kosmic

• Super Contributor
« Reply #67979 on: August 27, 2020, 06:08:16 pm »
Public Service Announcement

All HP 3478A owners:
  • Clean your front/rear switch
  • Replace your RIFA caps
  • Back up your cal data
  • Check your SRAM battery voltage (replace as needed; see also #3)

Everyone else: Don't forget when the next item on your auction watchlist ends.  8)

Is there any easy way of backing up the cal data? I replaced the battery last year (without losing the cal data), but it would be nice to have it stored safely somewhere else.

McBryce.

There have been several threads on it. This is one I had handy: https://www.eevblog.com/forum/repair/hp-3478a-how-to-readwrite-cal-sram/

Also, I've seen at least a couple of programs folks have written to download and restore the cal data.

Cal data backed up. I saved it onto a 5.25in floppy, just to keep it authentic :)

McBryce.

@McBryce, so that link was okey ? wich methode did you use? or you have some tips?

I used this: https://github.com/pigrew/HP3478Ctrl/releases/tag/v0.20170630

McBryce.

Thanks..will try... i do not have any development enviroment...but maybe when i unzip i get some files i can install...thanks  :-+

I have the latest NI-VISA drivers and Agilent BenchVue installed. VISA is definitely needed for it to work. If you don't have it installed the program will just report errors.

McBryce.

If your not planning to use BenchVue and just want GPIB and Visa support just install IOLibSuite from Keysight.

Offline McBryce

• Super Contributor
« Reply #67980 on: August 27, 2020, 06:10:57 pm »
I thought that might be the case, but as I already had all of them installed, it was difficult to know which ones are needed are which aren't. I use BenchVue to log data from the 3478A.

McBryce.
30 Years making cars more difficult to repair.

Offline Wolfgang

• Super Contributor
  • Its great if it finally works !
    • Electronic Projects for Fun
« Reply #67981 on: August 27, 2020, 06:13:26 pm »
Crap I completely failed at setting a group bid correctly in Gixen.

Was first bidding on some unobtanium power sensor cables and then a lot for the power sensors. So I ended up loosing for the cables but then Gixen still bidded and won the lot for the probes  :palm:

I Just received the power sensors I scored on ebay recently. I need to finish testing but everything seems to be in working order. Got enough power meter probes now :-DD I also needed some SMA attenuators, it seems I'm all set on that front too ;D Will probably try to sell some. The attenuators on the left are Weinschel 18Ghz, on the right Narda 3Ghz.

An awesome collection of power sensor history. Did the instruments come with the sonsors ? Or you want to make them by yourself ?

Offline Kosmic

• Super Contributor
« Reply #67982 on: August 27, 2020, 06:15:51 pm »
An awesome collection of power sensor history. Did the instruments come with the sonsors ? Or you want to make them by yourself ?

I have a Boonton 4200 and 4300 with Calibrator. So I can use all the Boonton sensors. I might try to find a meter for the gigatronics and the Anritsu is going back on ebay.

The following users thanked this post: Wolfgang

Offline mansaxel

• Super Contributor
  • SA0XLR
    • My very static home page
« Reply #67983 on: August 27, 2020, 06:37:49 pm »
Working on the Pioneer VSX-3800 Receiver.

The boost on all frequency bands is just a coincidence, I hope? That EQ normally sounds best when bypassed.

Offline nixiefreqq

• Super Contributor
« Reply #67984 on: August 27, 2020, 06:46:24 pm »
Working on the Pioneer VSX-3800 Receiver. Turns out the distortion is only on the input from the Media PC and it's nothing more than dirty RCA jacks. Deoxit to the rescue.

A view of the internals. This guy is one of the few more modern "consumer" amps that still uses discrete transistors in the output rather than those all in one units. Probably because it's rated for 100 watts RMS.

All the capacitors are original. Unlike TE I usually don't bother re-capping the audio stuff. If it craps out go out on Craigslist and find something else. The audio stuff is a dime a dozen and all the stuff I currently have (except the speakers) came from CL.

ok.  this is something i am sure to reget bringing up.

rms watts?
free range primate

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #67985 on: August 27, 2020, 06:47:52 pm »
Working on the Pioneer VSX-3800 Receiver.

The boost on all frequency bands is just a coincidence, I hope? That EQ normally sounds best when bypassed.

It is indeed bypassed when installed.

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #67986 on: August 27, 2020, 06:51:56 pm »

rms watts?

Supposedly 100 watts RMS/channel. Don't really care. Audiophools and the makers have been playing games forever with output power figures. What I DO care about is that it has discrete transistors in the output stage rather than those trouble prone and usually shitty sounding all in one block power amps.

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster

Offline capt bullshot

• Super Contributor
    • Mostly useless stuff, but nice to have: wunderkis.de
« Reply #67987 on: August 27, 2020, 06:56:30 pm »

rms watts?

RMS what?
Having quite an experience in making power meters, I know RMS current, RMS voltage, real power, apparent power, reactive power, distortion power, harmonic power, ...
but nothing that would be called "rms watts" or RMS power.
Anyway, I've seen this "unit" often with audio amplifier stuff in the last maybe one or two decades. Normally, I'd expect a audio amplifier rated in "sine power" - that is the output power level the amplifier can sustain for something like a minute, or "music (peak) power", that's a rating for short bass peaks. Usually the music / peak power is e.g. 120W for a 80W (sine) amp.
Today, there's chinese watts, PMPO watts, and maybe RMS watts. Don't know what they're supposed to mean except lying about the real capabilities of the amp.
Safety devices hinder evolution

The following users thanked this post: BU508A, nixiefreqq

Offline AVGresponding

• Super Contributor
  • Exploring Rabbit Holes Since The 1970s
« Reply #67988 on: August 27, 2020, 06:56:46 pm »
Good grief wth is with the forum?

Also, ooops... a last second snipe was successful when I expected it to fail...  :-X

The seller hasn't accepted yet, and I'll not be surprised if they come up with some excuse to void the auction. If they accept my paypal payment, I'm the new d'Oh-ner of a Keithley 2000, price £256 shipped (no I can't afford it).   |O
nuqDaq yuch Dapol?
Addiction count: Agilent-AVO-BlackStar-Brymen-Chauvin Arnoux-Fluke-GenRad-Hameg-HP-Keithley-IsoTech-Mastech-Megger-Metrix-Micronta-Racal-RFL-Siglent-Solartron-Tektronix-Thurlby-Time Electronics-TTi-UniT

The following users thanked this post: bd139

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #67989 on: August 27, 2020, 07:09:17 pm »
Ahh is that the one which was farting errors out? Not a bad price if they are fixable.

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #67990 on: August 27, 2020, 07:11:48 pm »

rms watts?

RMS what?
Having quite an experience in making power meters, I know RMS current, RMS voltage, real power, apparent power, reactive power, distortion power, harmonic power, ...
but nothing that would be called "rms watts" or RMS power.
Anyway, I've seen this "unit" often with audio amplifier stuff in the last maybe one or two decades. Normally, I'd expect a audio amplifier rated in "sine power" - that is the output power level the amplifier can sustain for something like a minute, or "music (peak) power", that's a rating for short bass peaks. Usually the music / peak power is e.g. 120W for a 80W (sine) amp.
Today, there's chinese watts, PMPO watts, and maybe RMS watts. Don't know what they're supposed to mean except lying about the real capabilities of the amp.

Just as long as it's loud, distortion free to my ears, and I can annoy the neighbors I'm good.  :P :-DD

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, tonyalbus

Offline GreyWoolfe

• Supporter
  • NW0LF
« Reply #67991 on: August 27, 2020, 07:19:18 pm »
I would love to max out my MIP rate "just because" but I already pay a ridiculous $82/mo just for 60. 400 would be over $40/mo more. And that's just internet. No TV or VOIP.

Edit....and I own the modems. No rent fees.

Med are you getting hosed up there!  Here in Flori-DUH, Spectrum minimum speed 100 Mbps and when I had just the internet service, it was $69 a month- now $45 a month each for cable and internet plus an upgrade package for peanuts that gives us a few extra channels we wanted.  Fast.com shows 120 down, speedtest.net shows 117 down.  400 is $20 more but I don't feel the need as 100 is just fine.  There is even rumor that 200 may become the new minimum speed, we will see.  If that is the case, definitely no need for 400.  Free modem but I use my own wireless router as the built in wireless router sucks dirt.  We used to pay $6 a month for the modem but that changed a couple of years ago.
"Heaven has been described as the place that once you get there all the dogs you ever loved run up to greet you."

Offline AVGresponding

• Super Contributor
  • Exploring Rabbit Holes Since The 1970s
« Reply #67992 on: August 27, 2020, 07:24:50 pm »
Ahh is that the one which was farting errors out? Not a bad price if they are fixable.

Yes, and yes.

What's the betting I find an incorrectly sized fuse in the low current range? Either that or..:
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/repair/repaired-keithley-2000/

Those damn front/rear switches...   :-DD
nuqDaq yuch Dapol?
Addiction count: Agilent-AVO-BlackStar-Brymen-Chauvin Arnoux-Fluke-GenRad-Hameg-HP-Keithley-IsoTech-Mastech-Megger-Metrix-Micronta-Racal-RFL-Siglent-Solartron-Tektronix-Thurlby-Time Electronics-TTi-UniT

The following users thanked this post: bd139, TorinoFermic, tonyalbus

Offline GreyWoolfe

• Supporter
  • NW0LF
« Reply #67993 on: August 27, 2020, 07:31:37 pm »
They should all burn in hell in eternity, with a 36K baud connection.

Zucca, you are way more generous than I.  300 baud on a party line. >:D >:D >:D >:D >:D
"Heaven has been described as the place that once you get there all the dogs you ever loved run up to greet you."

The following users thanked this post: Zucca, mnementh

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #67994 on: August 27, 2020, 07:32:50 pm »

Yes, and yes.

What's the betting I find an incorrectly sized fuse in the low current range? Either that or..:
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/repair/repaired-keithley-2000/

Those damn front/rear switches...   :-DD

Fingers crossed for you. Looks like a not terrible outcome either way. Hopefully not like my Fluke 25 which had amps/ohms out  :-DD :palm:

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #67995 on: August 27, 2020, 07:59:22 pm »
Good grief wth is with the forum?

Also, ooops... a last second snipe was successful when I expected it to fail...  :-X

The seller hasn't accepted yet, and I'll not be surprised if they come up with some excuse to void the auction. If they accept my paypal payment, I'm the new d'Oh-ner of a Keithley 2000, price £256 shipped (no I can't afford it).   |O
New at Farnell they are £837, so not a bad price if you get it and its fixable at a good price  :-+
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, bd139

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #67996 on: August 27, 2020, 08:05:47 pm »
On a different topic, had my car MOT't and a 62,000-mile service done today, new brake pads, plus all the usual 60,000 mile stuff £602. Clean bill of health for MOT including the emissions, well within the parameters and the pads were the first new ones on the car in 7 years and so the wiper blades are still the originals and perfectly OK, next week, another £600 for tax and insurance, so now new TEA acquisitions for me for a while  :--
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #67997 on: August 27, 2020, 08:22:12 pm »

I have a Boonton 4200 and 4300 with Calibrator. So I can use all the Boonton sensors. I might try to find a meter for the gigatronics and the Anritsu is going back on ebay.

I thought the gigas were specialty-app sensors made to go on the HP 43xx power meters...?

mnem
 :popcorn:
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #67998 on: August 27, 2020, 08:24:15 pm »
On a different topic, had my car MOT't and a 62,000-mile service done today, new brake pads, plus all the usual 60,000 mile stuff £602. Clean bill of health for MOT including the emissions, well within the parameters and the pads were the first new ones on the car in 7 years and so the wiper blades are still the originals and perfectly OK, next week, another £600 for tax and insurance, so now new TEA acquisitions for me for a while  :--

Good news though. Not the £3k bill a colleague of mine just got for his Merc  :-DD. I like rubbing in that my car, fuel and expenditure cost less than his last four service intervals in 2 years  :-DD :-DD

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #67999 on: August 27, 2020, 08:31:43 pm »
Wrong, very wrong. Japs invented the PMPO rating decades ago.  :horse:
Avid Rabid Hobbyist.
Some stuff seen @ Siglent HQ cannot be shared.

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, Specmaster, bd139

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf