Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 16764830 times)

Vince, wkb, Robert763, djadeski, Peter_O and 61 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline bitseekerTopic starter

• Super Contributor
  • Lots of engineer-tweakable parts inside!
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #67525 on: August 23, 2020, 03:28:01 am »
Public Service Announcement

eBay's Buyer Protection works, but you're not guaranteed to have it as a buyer on eBay. If eBay determines (the criteria for which is a secret, apparently) that your purchases have been "risky," then they'll revoke Buyer Protection on your purchases without warning.

I discovered this recently when an item from China was overdue by a month. Going to "Item didn't arrive" greets you with a message that Buyer Protection is not available on your purchase. Thanks, eBay, for punishing me for things outside my control.

Thankfully, the item arrived after all. I guess it's AliExpress from now on for buying goods from China.

Does AliExpress have buyer protection?

Yep. I've had to use it only a couple of times. It works. For how long, though, who knows.

https://sale.aliexpress.com/__pc/v8Yr8f629D.htm
TEA is the way. | TEA Time channel

The following users thanked this post: SilverSolder, mnementh

Offline bitseekerTopic starter

• Super Contributor
  • Lots of engineer-tweakable parts inside!
« Reply #67526 on: August 23, 2020, 03:29:48 am »
Not pictured is another massive bag of Sphere free goodies, ranging from various ICs, to LEDs of many colors, diodes, switches, pots, capacitors....

Is that Sphere Research in Canada?
TEA is the way. | TEA Time channel

Offline 0culus

• Super Contributor
  • Electronics, RF, and TEA Hobbyist
« Reply #67527 on: August 23, 2020, 03:31:28 am »
Not pictured is another massive bag of Sphere free goodies, ranging from various ICs, to LEDs of many colors, diodes, switches, pots, capacitors....

Is that Sphere Research in Canada?

Yessir. It's a dangerous place. God help me if I'm ever able to go up there with a truck...  :-DD

The following users thanked this post: bitseeker, Neomys Sapiens

Offline 0culus

• Super Contributor
  • Electronics, RF, and TEA Hobbyist
« Reply #67528 on: August 23, 2020, 05:55:20 am »
Got the 5326A connected to the distribution amplifier. It initially was not working at all (edit: on external timebase), but then I realized the gain was set too low on the channel it is connected to. Adjusted that, and it works great, agrees with everything else that's on the GPSDO.  :-+
« Last Edit: August 23, 2020, 06:03:11 am by 0culus »

The following users thanked this post: med6753, mnementh, wolfy007, factory, tonyalbus

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #67529 on: August 23, 2020, 06:55:13 am »

eBay's Buyer Protection works, but you're not guaranteed to have it as a buyer on eBay. If eBay determines (the criteria for which is a secret, apparently) that your purchases have been "risky," then they'll revoke Buyer Protection on your purchases without warning.

I discovered this recently when an item from China was overdue by a month. Going to "Item didn't arrive" greets you with a message that Buyer Protection is not available on your purchase. Thanks, eBay, for punishing me for things outside my control.

Thankfully, the item arrived after all. I guess it's AliExpress from now on for buying goods from China.

Ouch. That deserves to be propagated widely.

Is there any "documentation" available, e.g. a screenshot showing the eff-off message?
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #67530 on: August 23, 2020, 08:28:05 am »
Just a point to make here. PayPal and eBay are separate businesses. Go complain to PayPal preferably by phone. They will refund.

The following users thanked this post: bitseeker, mnementh, tonyalbus

Online factory

• Super Contributor
« Reply #67531 on: August 23, 2020, 08:56:39 am »

Is there any "documentation" available, e.g. a screenshot showing the eff-off message?

This isn't new, I found this out 8 months ago, for international purchases you only have 30 days to raise a INR claim, after that the dispute process is meaningless as it can't be escalated to ePay.

David

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #67532 on: August 23, 2020, 09:00:44 am »

Yes, I have always found the customer service from AliExpress to be first class.
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

The following users thanked this post: tonyalbus

Online factory

• Super Contributor
« Reply #67533 on: August 23, 2020, 09:07:17 am »
The rest of the stuff. 8082A pulse generator joining my RF and microwave experimentation "tower of power".  :-DD Got to wanting this after seeing CuriousMarc use two of them for his core memory demonstration video a while back. The killer feature for me is directly controllable rise and fall times...perfect for situations where really fast pulses will just ring. Should be very useful for the low-power radar experimentation I play around with sometimes.

I've recently acquired a pair of those 8082A's & a 8005B in a job lot of TE (mostly), I was thinking of reselling those but I may have to hang on to them after reading your post.  |O

I finally got the TE unloaded from my small van yesterday, it's in a temporary space in a shed while I sort through it, anything I'm keeping will go to the storage unit I'm now renting.

Not in the picture are the remains of a HP 5245L & 8614A the guy had parted out.

David
« Last Edit: August 23, 2020, 07:20:53 pm by factory »

The following users thanked this post: Brumby, BU508A, med6753, mnementh, Specmaster, wolfy007, bd139, Kosmic, syau, 0culus, tonyalbus

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #67534 on: August 23, 2020, 09:21:36 am »
The rest of the stuff. 8082A pulse generator joining my RF and microwave experimentation "tower of power".  :-DD Got to wanting this after seeing CuriousMarc use two of them for his core memory demonstration video a while back. The killer feature for me is directly controllable rise and fall times...perfect for situations where really fast pulses will just ring. Should be very useful for the low-power radar experimentation I play around with sometimes.

I've recently acquired a pair of those 8082A's & a 8005B in a job lot of TE (mostly), I was thinking of reselling those but I may have to hang on to them after reading your post.  |O

I finally got the TE unloaded from my small van yesterday, it's in a temporary space in a shed while I sort through it, anything I'm keeping will go to the storage unit I'm now renting.

Not in the picture are the remains of a HP 5245L & 8416A the guy had parted out.

David

:-+  :-+  :-+

“Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought. It always defeats order, because it is better organized.”            - Terry Pratchett -

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, Specmaster, factory

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
« Reply #67535 on: August 23, 2020, 09:26:43 am »

There's some nice looking stuff there. Let us know what you aren't keeping.- regrettably one or two of those things might complement my stuff :(

What's in that big mahogony box at the bottom?
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #67536 on: August 23, 2020, 09:47:04 am »
Gah screw that. Get the beebs out and fire 'em up (after replacing the RIFAs in the power supplies) :-DD

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
« Reply #67537 on: August 23, 2020, 09:57:48 am »
Gah screw that. Get the beebs out and fire 'em up (after replacing the RIFAs in the power supplies) :-DD

Boring - you know what the beebs are and what they might be able to do.  >:D

The other stuff has capabilities, as per Lancelot Brown.

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #67538 on: August 23, 2020, 10:01:02 am »
Can't play Exile on the other things though  8)

I'm actually missing having a "lab computer" like the bbc with some crap hanging off the user port :(

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
« Reply #67539 on: August 23, 2020, 10:31:53 am »
Can't play Exile on the other things though  8)

I'm actually missing having a "lab computer" like the bbc with some crap hanging off the user port :(

That's what emulation is for, and get a Commodore PET and control your non-crap instruments.

Online Robert763

• Super Contributor
« Reply #67540 on: August 23, 2020, 10:32:27 am »
What model is the Racal / Aim "Databridge" slab LCR meter? The  6451 / 451 9343M is very nice with 0.1% accuracy (401 / 9341 is 0.24%). Shame they take up so much bench space.

Online Robert763

• Super Contributor
« Reply #67541 on: August 23, 2020, 10:35:40 am »
looks like a couple of Smiths 400Hz test set there too. I might be interested in those if you arn't keeping them.

Offline tonyalbus

• Frequent Contributor
  • To better understand, you need to open it ;-)
    • My Channel
« Reply #67542 on: August 23, 2020, 11:12:29 am »
Guess what...huge hangover..... |O
Yesterday i was close to meltdown and relexed a bit to much :palm: :palm:
hope i was not to annoying.. :-[
Electronics enthusiast, TEA and Radio Amateur (PE1ONS)
Marconi  - TTi - Thandar - Thurmbly - HP - Fluke - Philips - Siglent - Owon - TEK - Anritsu - Keithley - AVO - BG7TBL
https://www.youtube.com/TonyAlbus

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #67543 on: August 23, 2020, 11:16:19 am »

In the UK I suspect eBay doing that would fall foul of the "Unfair Contract Terms Act". Applies to consumer contracts only, not purchases for professional use where you're deemed to have sufficient savvy to understand and negotiate contract terms yourself - chance'd be a fine thing, getting any corporate behemoth to actually negotiate rather than dictate a contract.
Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, bd139

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #67544 on: August 23, 2020, 11:24:11 am »

Not in the picture are the remains of a HP 5245L & 8416A the guy had parted out.

What's that?:

That has got to be the biggest panel meter that I've seen outside a power station control room.

« Last Edit: August 23, 2020, 11:26:46 am by Cerebus »

Offline tonyalbus

• Frequent Contributor
  • To better understand, you need to open it ;-)
    • My Channel
« Reply #67545 on: August 23, 2020, 11:26:40 am »

Does AliExpress have buyer protection?

Yep. I've had to use it only a couple of times. It works. For how long, though, who knows.

https://sale.aliexpress.com/__pc/v8Yr8f629D.htm

Yes works well, i used it also
Electronics enthusiast, TEA and Radio Amateur (PE1ONS)
Marconi  - TTi - Thandar - Thurmbly - HP - Fluke - Philips - Siglent - Owon - TEK - Anritsu - Keithley - AVO - BG7TBL
https://www.youtube.com/TonyAlbus

Offline SilverSolder

• Super Contributor
« Reply #67546 on: August 23, 2020, 11:33:41 am »

This isn't new, I found this out 8 months ago, for international purchases you only have 30 days to raise a INR claim, after that the dispute process is meaningless as it can't be escalated to ePay.

David

30 days from the time of purchase??  -  Sometimes things take more than 30 days to arrive...

All this said, I have never had the eBay dispute process fail, and have never been fobbed off no matter where the item was from...

"Risky purchase" is an interesting concept - really, eBay owes its customers to define what that means up front!

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #67547 on: August 23, 2020, 11:47:57 am »
"Risky purchase" is an interesting concept - really, eBay owes its customers to define what that means up front!

Indeed, I can't think of a more blatant unfairness than to say "We won't cover 'risky' purchases, but we won't tell you up front which ones are 'risky'.".

The following users thanked this post: SilverSolder

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #67548 on: August 23, 2020, 11:50:31 am »
Dang need an AWG for something. Function generator eBay juggling time plus cracked DG811 methinks  :-DD

Online factory

• Super Contributor
« Reply #67549 on: August 23, 2020, 12:07:52 pm »

There's some nice looking stuff there. Let us know what you aren't keeping.- regrettably one or two of those things might complement my stuff :(

What's in that big mahogony box at the bottom?

It's a Tinsley Phase splitting and change-over board, need to find out more about that one.

The magic RIFA stench has already escaped from one of them, shame they used marker pen to note this on the case. I need to figure out a replacement for the 5 1/4" drives as there are none with them, I do have plenty of 3 1/2" drives if they could be used. There is one Trinitron monitor in the pile, I'll be amazed if it isn't knackered.

What model is the Racal / Aim "Databridge" slab LCR meter? The  6451 / 451 9343M is very nice with 0.1% accuracy (401 / 9341 is 0.24%). Shame they take up so much bench space.

It's a Racal 9343M, we had the lower end AIM version at work, which was the only LCR meter I trusted for testing & matching capacitors.

What's that?:

That has got to be the biggest panel meter that I've seen outside a power station control room.

Are you referring to the RE IM6 Megommeter on the left hand side of the first picture or something else?

David

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf