Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 17607706 times)

Offline tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #67450 on: August 22, 2020, 11:56:31 am »
Yebbutt... Skegness.

Also, not SMA.

Well, I agree that Skegness is not a place to visit, but they do pack and send.

That's OK for robust stuff, but I wouldn't bet a scope would be OK. Maybe ice-tea has some experiences to share?

Honnestly? Not halfway bad. No, no guarantee nothing will break during shipping but packaging easily above average.

If you have a go at their auctions, you may end up bidding against me ;)

You go for the interesting saleable items. I go for the interesting crap. Shouldn't be too much accidental overlap :)

Haven't seen anything as nice as my new toy (2014 Agilent 34410a) at Ramco recently.
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

Offline Robert763

• Super Contributor
« Reply #67451 on: August 22, 2020, 12:20:40 pm »
This one is pretty good  >:D

Note that in the UK, these are technically a section 5 firearm with a mandatory jail term for possession  :scared:
I'd like to think you would just be told to destroy it there and then if caught with one, but don't fail the attitude test!

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster

Offline Robert763

• Super Contributor
« Reply #67452 on: August 22, 2020, 12:27:39 pm »
Yebbutt... Skegness.

Also, not SMA.

Well, I agree that Skegness is not a place to visit, but they do pack and send.

That's OK for robust stuff, but I wouldn't bet a scope would be OK. Maybe ice-tea has some experiences to share?

Honnestly? Not halfway bad. No, no guarantee nothing will break during shipping but packaging easily above average.

If you have a go at their auctions, you may end up bidding against me ;)

You go for the interesting saleable items. I go for the interesting crap. Shouldn't be too much accidental overlap :)

Haven't seen anything as nice as my new toy (2014 Agilent 34410a) at Ramco recently.

Prices seem to have gone up since they moved from tender to auction.
I did OK with a gamma spectrometer on th auction before last. They even let me pick it up. Sometning went wrong with the bidding and I won one for £32 despite most going for around £200 but being unable to bid because the "lot has closed" dispite it still showing time left on the auction.

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #67453 on: August 22, 2020, 12:31:25 pm »
You are posting here?
Shouldn't you be busy with other things, I thought?  :-//    ;)

I make that 03:00 ish EDT - either up very late, or up very early to clean up the bachelor mess before his lady arrives.
Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, Specmaster

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #67454 on: August 22, 2020, 12:52:24 pm »
This one is pretty good  >:D

Note that in the UK, these are technically a section 5 firearm with a mandatory jail term for possession  :scared:
I'd like to think you would just be told to destroy it there and then if caught with one, but don't fail the attitude test!

No, probably not a section 5 prohibited weapon (smooth bore, single shot, long enough barrel, not emitting a noxious gas or liquid - unless you use a can of Coca-Cola), but almost certainly over the muzzle energy for a permitted airgun (12 ft-lb, 16.3J - so a muzzle velocity of 9.79 ms-1 for a 340g can. My guesstimate from the video = 60 ms-1). So you'd probably just need a standard firearms licence to possess one, possibly just a shotgun certificate (can't remember if the shotgun definition requires a mandatory choke and I'm too lazy to look it up) - I'd love to see the licensing sergeant's face if you submitted an application.

Offline Robert763

• Super Contributor
« Reply #67455 on: August 22, 2020, 01:34:12 pm »
Hmm, Looked again and it depends on the projectile If it is designed to fire a can of carbonated drink it would be section 5 because the projectile explodes on impact (stored energy e.g. dissolved CO2 released). A projectile designed to spin would also make it section 5.
I admit it might not be mandatory jail though.
I've fired one in the USA but would never consider making one in the UK as it is so hard to define legality.
Can't be a shotgun because it's a single projectile, can't be an antique muzzle loader.
On other problem is I don't think the proof house would even accept it for testing :wtf:

Offline Saskia

• Super Contributor
  • you unlock this door with the key of imagination
« Reply #67456 on: August 22, 2020, 01:41:56 pm »
in the UK this would be about the maximum I would go for ...

would be cool to have it to deter nosy neighbors ...

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #67457 on: August 22, 2020, 01:42:34 pm »
You lot and your pew pews....   This is a winner:   

Heh!!! That sure is one happy pup! Made me LOL!  :-DD

mnem
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #67458 on: August 22, 2020, 01:49:33 pm »

pew. pew.

mnem
Who tooted...?    >:D
« Last Edit: August 22, 2020, 01:51:10 pm by mnementh »
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster, tonyalbus

Offline Saskia

• Super Contributor
  • you unlock this door with the key of imagination
« Reply #67459 on: August 22, 2020, 01:54:35 pm »
my favorite commuter airplane  :-DD :-DD

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #67460 on: August 22, 2020, 02:03:42 pm »
I like it because it loads itself, services itself, and puts itself away after the fun is done.  ;)

Also, because my dad, who is retired USAF, calls it "The toot of doom" when it's fired.  :-DD

mnem
 :popcorn:
« Last Edit: August 22, 2020, 02:05:42 pm by mnementh »

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #67461 on: August 22, 2020, 02:17:57 pm »
Hmm, Looked again and it depends on the projectile If it is designed to fire a can of carbonated drink it would be section 5 because the projectile explodes on impact (stored energy e.g. dissolved CO2 released). A projectile designed to spin would also make it section 5.
I've fired one in the USA but would never consider making one in the UK as it is so hard to define legality.
Can't be a shotgun because it's a single projectile, can't be an antique muzzle loader.
On other problem is I don't think the proof house would even accept it for testing :wtf:

I think that the projectile is in fact an empty soda can. Watching the video there is zero sign of any liquid being expelled on impact, especially against the wall where the label peeled off.
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Online AVGresponding

• Super Contributor
  • Exploring Rabbit Holes Since The 1970s
« Reply #67462 on: August 22, 2020, 02:38:18 pm »
Too many things went for far too much money this week...   :--

Missed a Fluke 8050A, 8060A, HP 5316A, to name but a few.

Some seriously daft prices out there too:
£289 for an 8060A? Are you crazy? https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Fluke-8060A-4-1-2-Digit-Digital-Handheld-Multimeter/154050638228

Same seller has a Fluke 8840A for £623. Seems to be a pattern emerging... and btw it's not a private seller, so there's no excuse for not knowing what a sensible price would be.

Got called to go and check the iso-trannies and do some relamping at the old cinema that the council owns, and that a consortium wants to refurbish into a 3k5 seat music venue.
I was last there in 2013, and a right mess it was back then. It was built in around 1930, modified from 1 screen and a dance hall into 3 screens in the 1960s.
The consortium wants to save as much of the original decorative plasterwork as possible, behind glass screens etc.

I've uploaded a few videos of it to yt, links below. The 2013 tour was filmed on an old Sony-Ericsson S510, so it's not very good I'm afraid. Descriptions on yt.
2013 tour
Auditorium today
Pigeon hotel
Behind the screen
Fancy plaster
Up the stairs
Windows
TADTS
Dance floor
Projector room
Basement
Acrocity
nuqDaq yuch Dapol?
Addiction count: Agilent-AVO-BlackStar-Brymen-Chauvin Arnoux-Fluke-GenRad-Hameg-HP-Keithley-IsoTech-Mastech-Megger-Metrix-Micronta-Racal-RFL-Siglent-Solartron-Tektronix-Thurlby-Time Electronics-TTi-UniT

Offline SilverSolder

• Super Contributor
« Reply #67463 on: August 22, 2020, 03:02:41 pm »

£289 for an 8060A? Are you crazy? https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Fluke-8060A-4-1-2-Digit-Digital-Handheld-Multimeter/154050638228

Same seller has a Fluke 8840A for £623. Seems to be a pattern emerging... and btw it's not a private seller, so there's no excuse for not knowing what a sensible price would be.

[...]

What you are seeing is exactly how the housing market works (in fact, any market where the buyers are not skilled).  Basically, people overpay like crazy for everything they do, and then complain they don't make enough money.

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #67464 on: August 22, 2020, 03:34:16 pm »
WinBlows Heads-Up:

Currently having an intermittent BSOD issue on my gaming/VR rig; exact wording varies but always some form of critical NTFS failure. This BSOD issue coincides with a recent Feature Update; I've rolled back and completely disabled Windows Update for the time being in an attempt to isolate if it is actually the update or just coincidence vs my unusual Boot drive config:

(Dual NVMe in RAID 0)

I will update here if any new developments.

mnem
 :popcorn:

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #67465 on: August 22, 2020, 04:11:53 pm »

I think that the projectile is in fact an empty soda can. Watching the video there is zero sign of any liquid being expelled on impact, especially against the wall where the label peeled off.

Look again, there's very clear evidence of the liquid contents being reduced to a fine mist. Also experience tells me that an empty can would go a few feet and just drop from expending all its kinetic energy against air resistance. Just try it, see how far you can overarm chuck an empty can compared to a full one; if necessary you can wait until you've got some pesky kids on your lawn who need something chucking at them - oh, hold on, you're not Med.

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #67466 on: August 22, 2020, 04:28:37 pm »

Got called to go and check the iso-trannies and do some relamping at the old cinema that the council owns, and that a consortium wants to refurbish into a 3k5 seat music venue.
I was last there in 2013, and a right mess it was back then. It was built in around 1930, modified from 1 screen and a dance hall into 3 screens in the 1960s.
The consortium wants to save as much of the original decorative plasterwork as possible, behind glass screens etc.

I've uploaded a few videos of it to yt, links below. The 2013 tour was filmed on an old Sony-Ericsson S510, so it's not very good I'm afraid. Descriptions on yt.
2013 tour
Auditorium today
Pigeon hotel
Behind the screen
Fancy plaster
Up the stairs
Windows
TADTS
Dance floor
Projector room
Basement
Acrocity

Those are some ancient boilers in the basement, were they heavy oil fired ones do you know? I had to maintain some old boilers in my first work placement after leaving school. They had an elaborate array of pipework laid in front of each boiler which also had electric preheaters for the thick black sludge to enable it to be pumped under pressure into the boiler combustion chamber for ignition. That fuel oil stank the basement out if it leaked a drop anywhere. Thick, dark, sticky and like treacle, it took a lot of hard work cleaning up any spillage when I had to replace the pumps, filters or the preheaters. I was very glad when in later years they were eventually replaced by gas fired boilers, much more civilized they were  :phew:
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #67467 on: August 22, 2020, 04:29:59 pm »
Yup, had a can cannon here last year and a good charge only propelled a can 20 yds however if full of concrete 200 was possible.
The dumb shit some do for giggles.  ::)
Avid Rabid Hobbyist.
Some stuff seen @ Siglent HQ cannot be shared.

Offline Robert763

• Super Contributor
« Reply #67468 on: August 22, 2020, 04:35:40 pm »

[...]

What you are seeing is exactly how the housing market works (in fact, any market where the buyers are not skilled).  Basically, people overpay like crazy for everything they do, and then complain they don't make enough money.

That particular seller is a test equipment rental company, Microlease or whatever their current name is. I guess they know what the market will stand better than most. My peeve with them is no photos dispite this being an ebay requirement. I've given up complaining to ebay about it.

« Last Edit: August 22, 2020, 04:38:50 pm by Robert763 »

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #67469 on: August 22, 2020, 04:39:11 pm »

Look again, there's very clear evidence of the liquid contents being reduced to a fine mist. Also experience tells me that an empty can would go a few feet and just drop from expending all its kinetic energy against air resistance. Just try it, see how far you can overarm chuck an empty can compared to a full one; if necessary you can wait until you've got some pesky kids on your lawn who need something chucking at them - oh, hold on, you're not Med.
I'm not convinced that that was not the residue left in the can after someone had just drank the contents. Look again at the close up footage of where the can hits the appliance at 1:47. I don't see any evidence of mist there at all? You are correct, I'm not Med with a grey beard and an attitude, just shaved off my grey beard  :-DD :-DD
Who let Murphy in?

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #67470 on: August 22, 2020, 04:41:18 pm »
Yup, had a can cannon here last year and a good charge only propelled a can 20 yds however if full of concrete 200 was possible.
That would mean that thing could very well be a lethal weapon then  >:D |O
Who let Murphy in?

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #67471 on: August 22, 2020, 04:48:16 pm »

[...]

That particular seller is a test equipment rental company, Microlease or whatever their current name is. I guess they know what the market will stand better than most. My peeve with them is no photos dispite this being an ebay requirement. I've given up complaining to ebay about it.

Yep, Microlease are well known for their crazy prices, very often their stuff gets relisted many times before someone buys them. Maybe they leave it listed until there are no others listed and then people will buy because there is no other choice available to them? One thing I have noticed as well is that most of their photos show equipment that is well past its best cosmetically, it might well work as intended, I don't know that for certain because they tend to be very mean with their photos. Personally, I'd keep well clear of them, just bide your time, there will others listed at a more realistic price eventually. :popcorn:
Who let Murphy in?

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #67472 on: August 22, 2020, 04:57:09 pm »
That would mean that thing could very well be a lethal weapon then  >:D |O
Certainly.
Of course if you put 1/4 cup of propellant behind a 1lb projectile it's gunna be lethal to someone .....maybe the nut behind the trigger.
When they got the concrete cans out I promptly put a vehicle between myself and the thing.....just thin armour protection but better than nutthing.  :scared:
Avid Rabid Hobbyist.
Some stuff seen @ Siglent HQ cannot be shared.

Offline Robert763

• Super Contributor
« Reply #67473 on: August 22, 2020, 05:05:33 pm »
Even a 2" diameter slug of potato cold cause a life changing injury or even death if it hit you in the wrong place.

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #67474 on: August 22, 2020, 05:20:22 pm »
Even a 2" diameter slug of potato cold cause a life changing injury or even death if it hit you in the wrong place.

Quote from: Moriarty, The Dreaded Batter Pudding Hurler (Of Bexhill-On-Sea)
So rich! Well, thank you m'sieur, you have saved my batter pudding from getting cold. As you'll agree there's nothing quite so bad as being struck down with a cold batter pudding.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf