Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 16765808 times)

Kosmic and 55 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #67375 on: August 21, 2020, 01:33:42 pm »
Edit: gah did it. Now own an Agilent banded E3630  :-DD. May bounce the 6205 now.

Well done, approved. DO NOT SELL ANY TTi.
Too late PL320 has gone already  :-DD

Edit, I love all my TTi gear.

Hasn't. Changed my mind on that one. Still in the cupboard  :-DD

Edit: more Wera pr0n. My hands are not particularly small. This thing is a weapon  :-DD

« Last Edit: August 21, 2020, 01:40:23 pm by bd139 »

The following users thanked this post: BU508A, mnementh

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #67376 on: August 21, 2020, 01:41:14 pm »
Like bd I'm not going to be around much for the next few days. And definitely won't be on Discord tomorrow. Yesterday after nearly 8 months of no contact the Lady Cop and I talked. It was my choice to break off all contact. But yesterday I let her plead her case. I'm partially, but not totally, convinced that she is regretful of the antics she has pulled in the past and realizes how it damages our relationship. But that remains to be seen. Anyway, she is coming up here to spend the weekend. And we'll take it from there.

Good luck buddy. The only advice I can offer is... Beth and I have been together for so long because we both realized 2 things:

1) Finding someone who is willing to put up with your shit is a rarity and should be treasured.
2) We all have a MFT of shit that needs putting up with.

mnem
3) "Us" is more important than "me".
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

The following users thanked this post: BU508A, med6753, Specmaster, Neomys Sapiens, bd139, tonyalbus

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #67377 on: August 21, 2020, 01:42:46 pm »
To get those really pesky inbus/Allen/hex head screws out I usually employ 1/2" or 1/4" socket sets, with inbus/Allen/hex inserts, like so:...

I'm deeply wary of those in smaller sizes, way too easy for a gorilla like me to exceed the shear strength of the socket or even of the whole fastener.
Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

The following users thanked this post: bd139

Offline 25 CPS

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #67378 on: August 21, 2020, 01:53:45 pm »

I prefer one of these to get people's attention. Quite effective; even over EtherNet.  >:D

An oil furnace ignition transformer?  Not a bad idea.  I guess I should've taken the one off the furnace I scrapped when I converted the house to gas.  Oh well.

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #67379 on: August 21, 2020, 01:58:56 pm »
Good luck med. I don’t envy you.

I did a pros and cons of new relationships spreadsheet and said fuck it and started buying more HP power supplies  :-DD

If we can pick up where we left off without the bullshit I'll be a happy camper. Neither one of us want's to get married nor do we want to shack up.

New relationship? If this doesn't work out my spreadsheet says no fucking way to anything new. I haven't got the patience for that anymore.
An old gray beard with an attitude.

The following users thanked this post: PA0PBZ, Specmaster, bd139

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #67380 on: August 21, 2020, 02:02:02 pm »
question to the masses:

are you folks interested in audiophoolery repairs ? I have a few appliances which need to be looked at and could share this with you. One of the topics is the Sony TA-E 86 with one channel dead, I also have 2 dead CD Players which I could try to revive (even though chances are slim).

Bring it. It just so happens that my main receiver (Pioneer VSX-3800) has developed distortion on one channel in the pre-amp section and it's in my repair cue. I had planned on featuring it here even though it's not TE. 

The following users thanked this post: bd139

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #67381 on: August 21, 2020, 02:05:24 pm »
Today cleared up a bit. Found myself with considerably less workload than expected. New German toys arrived  8)

This was mostly purchased to get the arms off my desk chair which would not budge with current tools  :palm:

That 10mm one is flipping huge!

Wera is fine, but somehow I'm more affiliated to Wiha:

“Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought. It always defeats order, because it is better organized.”            - Terry Pratchett -

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Last Edit: August 21, 2020, 02:15:26 pm by mnementh »
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

The following users thanked this post: BU508A, bd139, FransW, tonyalbus

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #67383 on: August 21, 2020, 02:23:12 pm »
question to the masses:

are you folks interested in audiophoolery repairs ? I have a few appliances which need to be looked at and could share this with you. One of the topics is the Sony TA-E 86 with one channel dead, I also have 2 dead CD Players which I could try to revive (even though chances are slim).

Bring it. It just so happens that my main receiver (Pioneer VSX-3800) has developed distortion on one channel in the pre-amp section and it's in my repair cue. I had planned on featuring it here even though it's not TE. 
While it may not be TE, TE will be used in its repair and also much of the TE used during its repair has been itself been repaired so just bring it on. I'd volunteer myself but in reality the cost of shipping the items for repair is prohibitive and does not make any economic sense.
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #67384 on: August 21, 2020, 02:24:10 pm »
question to the masses:

DeoxIT is your friend. :)

https://www.tubeampdoctor.com/en/tools-and-accessories/deoxit-caig-chemicals/deoxitc-f-series/

“Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought. It always defeats order, because it is better organized.”            - Terry Pratchett -

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #67385 on: August 21, 2020, 02:43:28 pm »
question to the masses:

Found this partial SM on hifiengine.com when I looked your little beast up. Appears to have most of the schematic. Appears to have most of the control schematic, but the amplifier section it has is only for the rear channel.  >:(

Further research suggests that those partial schematics are snurched from the free preview of the complete manual available here for $4.99:

https://www.manualscenter.com/manuals/pioneer/vsx3800-service-manual.html#.Xz_fuDUpAuV

mnem
 :-/O
« Last Edit: August 21, 2020, 03:00:30 pm by mnementh »

Offline Neomys Sapiens

• Super Contributor
« Reply #67386 on: August 21, 2020, 02:54:53 pm »
I don't. The definition of "enough" would be. sufficient to buy one of the channel islands, fortify it,  and declare independence.
Corrected that for you.

The following users thanked this post: Saskia

Offline tonyalbus

• Frequent Contributor
  • To better understand, you need to open it ;-)
    • My Channel
Electronics enthusiast, TEA and Radio Amateur (PE1ONS)
Marconi  - TTi - Thandar - Thurmbly - HP - Fluke - Philips - Siglent - Owon - TEK - Anritsu - Keithley - AVO - BG7TBL
https://www.youtube.com/TonyAlbus

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut

Offline Neomys Sapiens

• Super Contributor
« Reply #67389 on: August 21, 2020, 02:58:22 pm »
most of them Pacific islands are in the tropics. I prefer moderate climate. Even though ... a while back an island off the tasmanian coast was for sale. It was in fact my favorite ...
came with an air strip.

*sigh*

Maybe we can all put some money in and create a TEA island? We'll need a good power source though.

McBryce.
I can contribute 1 unused pellet straight out of the former Hanau line. :(

Offline Neomys Sapiens

• Super Contributor
« Reply #67390 on: August 21, 2020, 03:06:20 pm »
@BU508 on the Mentor Strip:
I found the datasheet and have it scanned. It seems to be more complicated with 3 sub-versions exixting, but yours is definitely modified,

The following users thanked this post: BU508A

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #67391 on: August 21, 2020, 03:11:10 pm »
@BU508 on the Mentor Strip:
I found the datasheet and have it scanned. It seems to be more complicated with 3 sub-versions exixting, but yours is definitely modified,

Thanks for that. Curious, where this mod is coming from but I assume, we'll never know.

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #67392 on: August 21, 2020, 03:35:11 pm »
If you're talking about the SCR, it's probably a variant of the mod we all used to do on the old Weller WTCPN, etc to keep the MagnaStat contacts from burning up. Or are you suggesting that the temp control itself is a mod...? There was also a very common mod/project for the cheap firestick soldering irons as well; it used a pot and a triac to modulate duty cycle, in effect varying the wattage. It was little more than a DIY lamp dimmer, TBH.

mnem
 :popcorn:

Offline GreyWoolfe

• Supporter
  • NW0LF
« Reply #67393 on: August 21, 2020, 03:36:21 pm »
@bd139

there are certainly other means to remove the arms off a chair  :-DD

I want the chair and the arms to survive the operation though  :-DD
I was going to suggest a reciprocating saw but then you had to get all picky about survivability  Sheesh :palm:
"Heaven has been described as the place that once you get there all the dogs you ever loved run up to greet you."

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #67395 on: August 21, 2020, 03:52:59 pm »

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32776957465.html

Fukkin' AliEx, man...  :palm:

mnem
Almost as bad as Amazon. |O

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #67396 on: August 21, 2020, 03:53:25 pm »
If you're talking about the SCR, it's probably a variant of the mod we all used to do on the old Weller WTCPN, etc to keep the MagnaStat contacts from burning up. Or are you suggesting that the temp control itself is a mod...? There was also a very common mod/project for the cheap firestick soldering irons as well; it used a pot and a triac to modulate duty cycle, in effect varying the wattage. It was little more than a DIY lamp dimmer, TBH.

mnem
 :popcorn:

Neomys is referring to this posting of mine and he compared it with his datasheet.
It is obvious, that my version is the 150°C one but the genuine one doesn't have any kind of
temperature control (or a phased controlled modulator), hence it is a mod.

Perhaps I'll find out one day where this thing is coming from. We'll see.

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #67397 on: August 21, 2020, 03:54:05 pm »

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32776957465.html

Fukkin' AliEx, man...  :palm:

mnem
Almost as bad as Amazon. |O

They worked out how to put 50 cent shite RF adapters in a chocolate box  :-DD

Liu: "Hey Zhang, what do you want to do with those bulkhead ones we got from the crap market"

Zhang: "chuck 'em in the box as well"

The following users thanked this post: Neomys Sapiens, shakalnokturn

Offline GreyWoolfe

• Supporter
  • NW0LF
« Reply #67398 on: August 21, 2020, 03:54:53 pm »
Like bd I'm not going to be around much for the next few days. And definitely won't be on Discord tomorrow. Yesterday after nearly 8 months of no contact the Lady Cop and I talked. It was my choice to break off all contact. But yesterday I let her plead her case. I'm partially, but not totally, convinced that she is regretful of the antics she has pulled in the past and realizes how it damages our relationship. But that remains to be seen. Anyway, she is coming up here to spend the weekend. And we'll take it from there.

Good luck buddy. The only advice I can offer is... Beth and I have been together for so long because we both realized 2 things:

1) Finding someone who is willing to put up with your shit is a rarity and should be treasured.
2) We all have a MFT of shit that needs putting up with.

mnem
3) "Us" is more important than "me".

Amen, brother, i agree on all 3 points  Living with Mrs GreyWoolfe is like an E ride at disneyland: lots of twists and turns, ups and downs, backwards and forwards and even upside down with me always seemingly on the verge of peeing myself a little.  I't's been a helluva great ride and i would hop back on and go again in a heartbeat. :-DD
"Heaven has been described as the place that once you get there all the dogs you ever loved run up to greet you."

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf