Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 16765774 times)

Kosmic and 52 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #67350 on: August 21, 2020, 10:34:12 am »
I just realised that a 1N4148 that was soldered across a 24V relay coil had turned into a 2Ω resistor. The PSU did not want to pull the lever but instead pulled itself into CC mode. Removed diode complete and without messing with the leads because I wanted to test it out of circuit. Once out I tried the relay and it sure enough works. The de-energising kick from the now undioded relay coil that found its way into my fingers actually hurt a little. We need those diodes, indeed.

When I was a kid I used to wire up a relay as an oscillator and use that little inductive kick to zap people :-DD

When I see tales of your youth, and remember mine, I'm always surprised that we didn't end up at what the 'foreigners' here might naïvely think was a good school - an approved one.
Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster

Offline Saskia

• Super Contributor
  • you unlock this door with the key of imagination
« Reply #67351 on: August 21, 2020, 10:40:19 am »
which is one of the reasons you find so many diodes soldered across coils within a pinball machine ...

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #67352 on: August 21, 2020, 10:40:30 am »
bd139 can be easily entertained. And so am I, too.   :-DD  ;D
“Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought. It always defeats order, because it is better organized.”            - Terry Pratchett -

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, Specmaster, bd139, tonyalbus

Offline mansaxel

• Super Contributor
  • SA0XLR
    • My very static home page
« Reply #67353 on: August 21, 2020, 10:42:03 am »

The reason I was wrestling with IS<->IS was a consequence of being a very early IPv6 adopter (including native multicast for IPv6 and IPv4, but that's a different story). It's just the incongruity of working with a routing protocol on an IP network that doesn't really want to believe that is it on an IP network. RIP was a nightmare, but I had to deal with it at the edge - because customers. MPLS has its good and bad points - if I were to be the one writing a layer 3 replacement for IP I would use a label switching protocol at its core, but not MPLS as is.

Yes, it is different. I think of IS-IS as "that more or less OOB (wrt IP routing table) hop-by-hop thing that keeps track of my links" and thus usually restrain IS-IS signalling to backbone links and passive loopbacks;  nothing more, all in one area (Vijay Gill at AOL did OSPF->IS-IS there with one global area, so with reasonably new iron it scales) and no edge nets in the table at all, just the loopbacks and links. Key is convergence and a fast one at that. You can recover from a link failure in as little as 200ms on a country-wide net; the limiting factor is that we now run SDH signalling (ie. BFD) on top of Ethernet, because "GNU/systemd x64 virtual machines running HTTP over NATed v4 and strangely named Ethernet cards" is the only thing those unsupervised glue-sniffers with their microservices understand.

Yes, I'm feeling old, and I'm turning 51 next week.

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #67354 on: August 21, 2020, 10:43:20 am »
Latest acquisition is on test. Currently it agrees with my voltage standard to within 1.7ppm. It will be interesting to see how it behaves overnight.

I had measured my voltage standard for free, with an hp3458a that had been calibrated against a national primary standard 24hours earlier. Well free is an exaggeration; I paid £80 for a weekend in Hannover :)

Since pictures are required...

There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

The following users thanked this post: Vgkid, BU508A, med6753, mnementh, Specmaster, bd139, Kosmic, tonyalbus

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #67355 on: August 21, 2020, 11:22:28 am »
Like bd I'm not going to be around much for the next few days. And definitely won't be on Discord tomorrow. Yesterday after nearly 8 months of no contact the Lady Cop and I talked. It was my choice to break off all contact. But yesterday I let her plead her case. I'm partially, but not totally, convinced that she is regretful of the antics she has pulled in the past and realizes how it damages our relationship. But that remains to be seen. Anyway, she is coming up here to spend the weekend. And we'll take it from there.   
An old gray beard with an attitude.

The following users thanked this post: PA0PBZ, Zucca, mnementh, Specmaster, bd139, Kosmic, tonyalbus

Offline Saskia

• Super Contributor
« Reply #67356 on: August 21, 2020, 11:30:05 am »
good luck.

The following users thanked this post: med6753

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #67357 on: August 21, 2020, 11:57:18 am »
Good luck med. I don’t envy you.

I did a pros and cons of new relationships spreadsheet and said fuck it and started buying more HP power supplies  :-DD

The following users thanked this post: BU508A, mnementh, Specmaster, Kosmic, TorinoFermic, tonyalbus

Offline capt bullshot

• Super Contributor
    • Mostly useless stuff, but nice to have: wunderkis.de
« Reply #67358 on: August 21, 2020, 12:00:06 pm »
I did a pros and cons of new relationships spreadsheet and said fuck it and started buying more HP power supplies  :-DD

WTF (worse than failure)
Safety devices hinder evolution

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, Specmaster, bd139

Offline Saskia

• Super Contributor
« Reply #67359 on: August 21, 2020, 12:04:49 pm »
question to the masses:

are you folks interested in audiophoolery repairs ? I have a few appliances which need to be looked at and could share this with you. One of the topics is the Sony TA-E 86 with one channel dead, I also have 2 dead CD Players which I could try to revive (even though chances are slim).

Offline FransW

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #67360 on: August 21, 2020, 12:26:56 pm »
Not all repairs open a way to entertain sustainability.
Some are not worth it.
So, decide on the amount of added value, for yourself or for others.

Added value also in the sense of time-spending.
It always is so limited (for humans).

Frans
PE1CCN, Systems Engineering, HP, Philips, TEK, BRYMAN, Fluke, Keithley

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, tonyalbus

Offline mansaxel

• Super Contributor
  • SA0XLR
« Reply #67361 on: August 21, 2020, 12:27:39 pm »
question to the masses:

are you folks interested in audiophoolery repairs ? I have a few appliances which need to be looked at and could share this with you. One of the topics is the Sony TA-E 86 with one channel dead, I also have 2 dead CD Players which I could try to revive (even though chances are slim).

Bring it on! I'm sort of amassing courage to take on my Sony 1HE pro CD player. It boots some of the time, but not all. And it tracks badly on discs.

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #67362 on: August 21, 2020, 12:35:51 pm »
Today cleared up a bit. Found myself with considerably less workload than expected. New German toys arrived  8)

This was mostly purchased to get the arms off my desk chair which would not budge with current tools  :palm:

That 10mm one is flipping huge!

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, Specmaster, Kosmic, tonyalbus

Offline capt bullshot

• Super Contributor
    • Mostly useless stuff, but nice to have: wunderkis.de
« Reply #67363 on: August 21, 2020, 12:39:03 pm »
question to the masses:

Bring it on! I'm sort of amassing courage to take on my Sony 1HE pro CD player. It boots some of the time, but not all. And it tracks badly on discs.
Might be as simple as cleaning the lenses. Very long time ago, I've actually repaired my (JVC afair) CD player by re-adjusting the optics or similar (don't know how I managed this, most probably just because I didn't know it's not possible without the special fixture). Next attempt on some other CD player failed, next one I've just bought a new laser optics assembly and replaced it, just to have it fail later on again. The flex cable had to be replaced, too. Today, I just don't use CD players anymore.
Safety devices hinder evolution

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline Saskia

• Super Contributor
« Reply #67364 on: August 21, 2020, 12:40:46 pm »
@bd139

there are certainly other means to remove the arms off a chair  :-DD

@FransW I concur, especially when it comes to swapping out a laser pickup which is absolutely unobtainium.
However for the preamp it is most certainly worth it.

And are we not all waiting for Walhalla and Ragnarök ?

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #67365 on: August 21, 2020, 12:45:18 pm »
@bd139

I want the chair and the arms to survive the operation though  :-DD

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster

Offline Zucca

• Supporter
  • EE meid in Itali
« Reply #67366 on: August 21, 2020, 12:50:49 pm »
question to the masses:

EDIT: Interesting would be also to understand how you measure if the device passes the audiophoolery quality check after the repair.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2020, 01:19:10 pm by Zucca »
Can't know what you don't love. St. Augustine
Can't love what you don't know. Zucca

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #67367 on: August 21, 2020, 01:05:56 pm »
I hate those days where this red, flashing 'BULLSHIT' alarm inside your head just above your external field of view goes off repeatedly. But worse is the blaring klaxon that comes with it.
When one device A with Software A' can communicate flawlessly with the target device and device B with software B' can't do that, it is obvious that the culprit is the (HW) interface converter, which is totally dumb and transparent, right? And the reason is that it is newly developed hardware.
And when 5 friggin' lazy SW bozos keep repeating it, it must be true, right?
No. Simply no.

Maybe I need to get some advice from Saskia on some topics. Like:
- can I reuse the sponges despite Covid?
- should the persons involved become connected in series or parallel?

It would appear that the heavenly host prefers series-parallel to maximize effectiveness and coverage. >:D

mnem

I prefer one of these to get people's attention. Quite effective; even over EtherNet.  >:D
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

The following users thanked this post: bd139

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #67368 on: August 21, 2020, 01:13:36 pm »
Like bd I'm not going to be around much for the next few days. And definitely won't be on Discord tomorrow. Yesterday after nearly 8 months of no contact the Lady Cop and I talked. It was my choice to break off all contact. But yesterday I let her plead her case. I'm partially, but not totally, convinced that she is regretful of the antics she has pulled in the past and realizes how it damages our relationship. But that remains to be seen. Anyway, she is coming up here to spend the weekend. And we'll take it from there.   
Take it carefully, by the sound of it, you don't need to make any concessions at all. Just see what transpires.  :-+
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline Zucca

• Supporter
  • EE meid in Itali
« Reply #67369 on: August 21, 2020, 01:15:28 pm »

Since pictures are required...

Do you like the 34410a? Is the fan too loud?

Thanks!

Offline Zucca

• Supporter
  • EE meid in Itali
« Reply #67370 on: August 21, 2020, 01:17:09 pm »
Edit: gah did it. Now own an Agilent banded E3630  :-DD. May bounce the 6205 now.

Well done, approved. DO NOT SELL ANY TTi.

Offline mansaxel

• Super Contributor
  • SA0XLR
« Reply #67371 on: August 21, 2020, 01:19:35 pm »
Today cleared up a bit. Found myself with considerably less workload than expected. New German toys arrived  8)

This was mostly purchased to get the arms off my desk chair which would not budge with current tools  :palm:

That 10mm one is flipping huge!

Good with new tools, and Wera is always dependable. To get those really pesky inbus/Allen/hex head screws out I usually employ 1/2" or 1/4" socket sets, with inbus/Allen/hex inserts, like so:

There's considerably more force available that way.  I probably should get inch fraction sockets too; I've only got inch fractions in the usual L style. Also, I've got 7mm hex socket tools, which are an absolute must if one wants to do car brakes.

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #67372 on: August 21, 2020, 01:21:54 pm »
@bd139

I doubt that much of the chair or the arm would remain after the application of you're referred tool, 50gms of C-4, although BD would approve of this, I don't think total destruction is his aim here  :-DD :-DD
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #67373 on: August 21, 2020, 01:25:50 pm »
Edit: gah did it. Now own an Agilent banded E3630  :-DD. May bounce the 6205 now.

Well done, approved. DO NOT SELL ANY TTi.
Too late PL320 has gone already  :-DD

Edit, I love all my TTi gear.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2020, 01:28:25 pm by Specmaster »
Who let Murphy in?

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #67374 on: August 21, 2020, 01:27:02 pm »
@Zucca don't volunteer for stuff like that. It will be yours forever and you will get the blame forever.

Master Yoda says: "Idealistic young man he is. Lots of python strengths he has."
Learn he must. Not ready he is. Life experience he must collect.

"There's enough misery to go around without grabbing for more." ~grand-momma Kate

mnem
alt: "No good deed goes unpunished."
« Last Edit: August 21, 2020, 01:31:39 pm by mnementh »
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

The following users thanked this post: BU508A

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf