Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 16764816 times)

Vince, wkb, Robert763, djadeski, Peter_O and 63 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #67325 on: August 21, 2020, 06:54:01 am »
Today arrival.   :-+  ;D

cool, what are you gonna  do with all this nice res?

Some time ago I had the idea to build a little box with some nice resistors, capacitors, diodes, LEDs, voltage reference, current reference, oscillator etc. which I can carry with me. Could be useful when one is visiting flea-markets, e.g. the HAM Radio in Friedrichshafen. I got the idea from joeqsmith (forum fellow as well) when I watched some of his videos.

“Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought. It always defeats order, because it is better organized.”            - Terry Pratchett -

Offline tonyalbus

• Frequent Contributor
  • To better understand, you need to open it ;-)
    • My Channel
« Reply #67326 on: August 21, 2020, 07:08:24 am »
A duo review of the nice little boxes from China... WB-SG1 and FA-2 from BG7TBL .. Yes i open them.. :)

Electronics enthusiast, TEA and Radio Amateur (PE1ONS)
Marconi  - TTi - Thandar - Thurmbly - HP - Fluke - Philips - Siglent - Owon - TEK - Anritsu - Keithley - AVO - BG7TBL
https://www.youtube.com/TonyAlbus

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, bd139, FransW

Offline Zucca

• Supporter
  • EE meid in Itali
« Reply #67327 on: August 21, 2020, 07:17:34 am »
Yep. Worked for me. More cash you earn the quicker you can retire. That's my only motivation :)

I did already some calculations, here my result:

It's never enough, I need more and more.
Can't know what you don't love. St. Augustine
Can't love what you don't know. Zucca

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, Specmaster, tonyalbus

Offline Saskia

• Super Contributor
  • you unlock this door with the key of imagination
« Reply #67328 on: August 21, 2020, 07:59:51 am »
I don't. The definition of "enough" would be. sufficient to buy one of the channel islands and declare independence.

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, Specmaster

Online Robert763

• Super Contributor
« Reply #67329 on: August 21, 2020, 08:18:31 am »
It's not just software that geats out-sourced.
Build hacked up prototype -  Management "need 3 Beta units next month, you're too busy on other bits. We'll outsource the Beta build, they only need a schematic". So after 6 weeks of 2 or 3 "support calls" a day completly disrupting my work three steaming turds turn up. They don't work, and have a build standard that I would not accept for a "my eyes only" hobby project. Spent another week fixing them.

It's always the electronics even on aircraft - "Pilot the Bell 206 won't make power assurance" chief eng - "check the TOT (turbine output temperature) gauge" Me "it's OK, actually a bit low", CE "Check the torque gauge" Me "it's right on the limit do you want me to adjust it?" CE "yes" Me "are you sure, it's reading high?" CE "don't be smart" Me " the engine's knackerd"
Finally they take the engine out and sure enough it needs repair - AOG. I volunteered to drive it 7 hours each way and wait for repair over the weekend. I was younger then, they offered double time and I had a small car style diesel van (fairly rare in 1984) that returned a pretty good profit on the fixed milage rate.

The following users thanked this post: Zucca, mnementh, Specmaster

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #67330 on: August 21, 2020, 08:18:53 am »
I don't. The definition of "enough" would be. sufficient to buy one of the channel islands and declare independence.

A better choice would be a warm Pacific island. With native Polynesian women running around....with long jet black hair and topless.  :-+ ;D

But with my luck they'd turn out to be cannibals.  |O :-DD   
An old gray beard with an attitude.

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, Specmaster

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #67331 on: August 21, 2020, 08:26:33 am »

A better choice would be a warm Pacific island. With native Polynesian women running around....with long jet black hair and topless.  :-+ ;D

I can just see Med in a cooking pot with half naked girls surrounding it discussing whether they want your rare, MEDium or well done !  :-DD
Avid Rabid Hobbyist.
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, Saskia, tonyalbus

Offline Saskia

• Super Contributor
« Reply #67332 on: August 21, 2020, 08:32:02 am »
most of them Pacific islands are in the tropics. I prefer moderate climate. Even though ... a while back an island off the tasmanian coast was for sale. It was in fact my favorite ...
came with an air strip.

*sigh*

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline McBryce

• Super Contributor
« Reply #67333 on: August 21, 2020, 08:36:25 am »
most of them Pacific islands are in the tropics. I prefer moderate climate. Even though ... a while back an island off the tasmanian coast was for sale. It was in fact my favorite ...
came with an air strip.

*sigh*

Maybe we can all put some money in and create a TEA island? We'll need a good power source though.

McBryce.
30 Years making cars more difficult to repair.

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #67334 on: August 21, 2020, 08:36:25 am »

I can just see Med in a cooking pot with half naked girls surrounding it discussing whether they want your rare, MEDium or well done !  :-DD

A Briton was driving through Italy on the motorway. He got hungry and stopped at a truck stop. The operating company of the truck stop was called "Autogrill". He went in and asked the waiter, "Do you really have grilled cars?"
The waiter replied: "How would you like to have your car? English or well done?"

:-DD
“Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought. It always defeats order, because it is better organized.”            - Terry Pratchett -

The following users thanked this post: Ice-Tea, mnementh, Specmaster, shakalnokturn

Offline Zucca

• Supporter
  • EE meid in Itali
« Reply #67335 on: August 21, 2020, 08:37:37 am »
"Never change a running system"

It is just a stupid statement from some tie on neck good smelling management humans.
I reply now with "... I wait until it catch fire then, no problem"

I just find out that the entire production windows PC are logging crucial analysis data using... wait ...wait... BATCH MSDOS .BAT FILES :scared: Sure enough a Windows update slammed everything on the floor for 3 weeks. Nobody could fix it, was done 10 years ago.

I will rise my hand and suggest I can do some python magic. Who knows what will be the reaction...
Can't know what you don't love. St. Augustine
Can't love what you don't know. Zucca

Offline Saskia

• Super Contributor
« Reply #67336 on: August 21, 2020, 08:38:56 am »
came with an air strip.

*sigh*

Maybe we can all put some money in and create a TEA island? We'll need a good power source though.

McBryce.

Eniwetok ? it has the power source concreted in ...

Offline Saskia

• Super Contributor
« Reply #67337 on: August 21, 2020, 08:41:04 am »
@Zucca what could possibly go wrong ???

The following users thanked this post: Zucca, mnementh, bd139

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #67338 on: August 21, 2020, 08:50:43 am »
Damn. Got a seller offer on something for 100 quid which is fairly decent but supplants two items I already have which are ancient and cranky.

Thoughts?  :scared:

Edit: gah did it. Now own an Agilent banded E3630  :-DD. May bounce the 6205 now.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2020, 08:55:20 am by bd139 »

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #67339 on: August 21, 2020, 09:17:43 am »

Well maybe you could buy these 3 forts in the Solent?

https://www.portsmouth.co.uk/business/three-solent-forts-are-sale-and-could-be-yours-aps11ma-226109
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

The following users thanked this post: bd139

Offline capt bullshot

• Super Contributor
    • Mostly useless stuff, but nice to have: wunderkis.de
« Reply #67340 on: August 21, 2020, 09:23:47 am »
"Never change a running system"

It is just a stupid statement from some tie on neck good smelling management humans.
I reply now with "... I wait until it catch fire then, no problem"

I just find out that the entire production windows PC are logging crucial analysis data using... wait ...wait... BATCH MSDOS .BAT FILES :scared: Sure enough a Windows update slammed everything on the floor for 3 weeks. Nobody could fix it, was done 10 years ago.

I will rise my hand and suggest I can do some python magic. Who knows what will be the reaction...

Don't do that. Either you'll be turned down or It'll be your baby from then on - from experience being turned down the better option is.

Safety devices hinder evolution

The following users thanked this post: Zucca, mnementh, Saskia

Offline Saskia

• Super Contributor
« Reply #67341 on: August 21, 2020, 09:26:44 am »
https://www.vladi-private-islands.de/de/inseln-kaufen/kanada-ostzentral/nova-scotia/kaulbach-island/

@Zucca don't volunteer for stuff like that. It will be yours forever and you will get the blame forever.

The following users thanked this post: Zucca, mnementh

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #67342 on: August 21, 2020, 09:31:18 am »
https://www.vladi-private-islands.de/de/inseln-kaufen/kanada-ostzentral/nova-scotia/kaulbach-island/

@Zucca don't volunteer for stuff like that. It will be yours forever and you will get the blame forever.

Master Yoda says: "Idealistic young man he is. Lots of python strengths he has."

The following users thanked this post: Zucca, mnementh

Offline Saskia

• Super Contributor
« Reply #67343 on: August 21, 2020, 09:37:09 am »
Learn he must. Not ready he is. Life experience he must collect.

The following users thanked this post: Zucca, mnementh, Specmaster, tonyalbus

Offline capt bullshot

• Super Contributor
    • Mostly useless stuff, but nice to have: wunderkis.de
« Reply #67344 on: August 21, 2020, 09:40:11 am »
Fun it is watching stuff catch fire. Relaxing it is watch people panicking. Only way this is to new stuff in production introduce. Beware he must let others do.

« Last Edit: August 21, 2020, 09:41:46 am by capt bullshot »
Safety devices hinder evolution

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, Saskia

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #67345 on: August 21, 2020, 10:08:16 am »
As a non-programmer and never been involved in IT support in any format, that meant diddley squat to me but I gathered from reading between the lines that it basically is a huge clusterfuck and that there is some point that all of this clusterfuck is going to come home to roost and that we should be stock piling gold and medicines. Is this something like the millennium bug that has a date and stamp that all this doom and gloom is going to descent upon us   :-// :-// |O

You've already seen it. Remember all the UK banks that have lost complete access to their computer systems for days at a time recently? Like the TSB in 2018 where customers couldn't access their accounts for 8 days, longer in some cases. Would that have happened 20 years or more ago? Much of it is down to CIOs following fashion in how things are done rather than following good sense and good practice. The "move fast and break things" generation are now writing the code (or more accurately gluing together microservices) that runs society without any adult supervision.
Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

The following users thanked this post: BU508A, mnementh, mansaxel, Saskia

Offline mansaxel

• Super Contributor
  • SA0XLR
    • My very static home page
« Reply #67346 on: August 21, 2020, 10:21:42 am »
I just realised that a 1N4148 that was soldered across a 24V relay coil had turned into a 2Ω resistor. The PSU did not want to pull the lever but instead pulled itself into CC mode. Removed diode complete and without messing with the leads because I wanted to test it out of circuit. Once out I tried the relay and it sure enough works. The de-energising kick from the now undioded relay coil that found its way into my fingers actually hurt a little. We need those diodes, indeed.

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #67347 on: August 21, 2020, 10:23:17 am »

I once had to wrestle with the OSI IS<->IS routing protocol on a frigging IP network - made me start feeling nostalgic for RIPv1.

And here I am thinking that the ONLY thing that OSI ever produced that I like, is IS-IS. It is just like OSPF (both are Dijkstra graphs) but one instance is so estranged from IP that it routes both v4 and v6 without requiring double amount of config work and resulting mistakes you get in OSPF.  Yes, any IP net I build (and I've done a few) has IS-IS as its IGP. It is much neater than anything else. I've never had to deal with RIP, it's only OSPF, BGP and IS-IS, because that's what drives big nets. And MPLS of course. The ATM crowd's revenge on IP.

The reason I was wrestling with IS<->IS was a consequence of being a very early IPv6 adopter (including native multicast for IPv6 and IPv4, but that's a different story). It's just the incongruity of working with a routing protocol on an IP network that doesn't really want to believe that is it on an IP network. RIP was a nightmare, but I had to deal with it at the edge - because customers. MPLS has its good and bad points - if I were to be the one writing a layer 3 replacement for IP I would use a label switching protocol at its core, but not MPLS as is.

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #67348 on: August 21, 2020, 10:27:37 am »

And the best bit is that a lot of the coastal defence bunkers are still in surprisingly good condition.  That is, if you don't mind the graffiti about who shagged who there on the walls. :)

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, bd139

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #67349 on: August 21, 2020, 10:31:47 am »
I just realised that a 1N4148 that was soldered across a 24V relay coil had turned into a 2Ω resistor. The PSU did not want to pull the lever but instead pulled itself into CC mode. Removed diode complete and without messing with the leads because I wanted to test it out of circuit. Once out I tried the relay and it sure enough works. The de-energising kick from the now undioded relay coil that found its way into my fingers actually hurt a little. We need those diodes, indeed.

When I was a kid I used to wire up a relay as an oscillator and use that little inductive kick to zap people :-DD

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, Specmaster, shakalnokturn, tonyalbus

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf