Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 16765720 times)

Offline Saskia

• Super Contributor
  • you unlock this door with the key of imagination
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #67300 on: August 20, 2020, 09:17:04 pm »
 Well, I secured my way cluster using x.509, but now I need to make sure the fucking application can connect.
For this I need to enable external authentication and the username must be the subject of the certificate. How am I to incorporate that into the bloody application. FFS.
Water. Soap. Sponge.Clamps. battery. Coil. Let's go ...

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, bd139

Online Kosmic

• Super Contributor
« Reply #67301 on: August 20, 2020, 09:28:56 pm »
The calibration/gain/compensation adjustments are complete for the Type 3A6 plug-in. It is now 100% functional.

And so.....

Back in May I started with this mess.

Took a while but the Type 561B is fully restored and 4 plug-in's repaired and 100% functional. Waveform from Type 114 Pulse Generator. On to the next project.  :-+

Good job Med  :-+

The following users thanked this post: med6753

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #67302 on: August 20, 2020, 09:43:48 pm »
I have a deep loathing of X.509.

Simply mentioning the phrase "Distinguished Name" makes me want to kill something. An email adress like "mansaxel@besserwisser.org" is reasonably unique and as a naming structure delegatable and scalable. That must have been too easy, and also not Vogon Poetry Elegant and therefore Not Acceptable.

Yes, I hate it, too.

Yes, but that wouldn't allow you to associate the certificate with a directory record in an X.500 directory so you could send X.400 emails over an OSI network.  >:D

We get stuffed with all this crap (e.g. ASN.1 in SNMP) left over from from the monster that was OSI, a set of protocols that completely failed to materialise in the real world, died but left all sorts of still wriggling tentacles littered over the place to entrap us. I once had to wrestle with the OSI IS<->IS routing protocol on a frigging IP network - made me start feeling nostalgic for RIPv1.
Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

The following users thanked this post: bd139

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #67303 on: August 20, 2020, 09:52:05 pm »
LMAO. Popped back into whine. Don't ever talk to me about X509. Every fucking Java knacker yard fadhole scum pit that does fintech integrations uses it somewhere for something inappropriate. That or completely fucked up SFTP implementations where someone tried and failed to be clever about something. Argh. And then there's full stack SOAP and WS-* still out there. The worst was one that used a completely NIH bastardised X509 signed WS-BrokeredNotification that used a completely separate SAML identity provider to sign the certs and then you had to send the fucking token with the signed request?!?!?!?!?! And of course their fucked up F5 infrastructure doing DPI actually buggered everything going through it.

But no everyone is suddenly using msgpack now which is basically json which is basically a subset of javascript which doesn't even have precision decimal types so is absolutely inappropriate for use for financial values which are just rammed into IEEE 754 double precision values by people who are too scared to care because if they do it's going to hurt them even more. Oh and it doesn't have a standardised over-http implementation so every damn endpoint is subtely different.

If you understand any of that you will be crying with me (and stuffing your mattress full of gold coins and medicines before the world ends)

Edit: back to unfucking kubernetes liveness checks >:(
« Last Edit: August 20, 2020, 10:01:07 pm by bd139 »

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #67304 on: August 20, 2020, 10:19:51 pm »
Sadly I do understand it all and I'm also confident that it won't leave me stuffing mattresses with zloty, shekels, doubloons or any other currency  because nobody would pay what I'd demand to deal with that crap*. Also, I don't think I'd last more than a few weeks dealing with the kind of muppets you find in fintech without breaking someone's jaw (OK, I wouldn't really, but I'd really want to).

Last year I managed to dodge having to bodge up a layer to talk to a SOAP broker and the man who did get lumbered with it left two months later. I rest my case.

*Possibly not true, in fintech someone might actually be stupid enough to pay what I'd ask.

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #67305 on: August 20, 2020, 10:24:26 pm »
*Possibly not true, in fintech someone might actually be stupid enough to pay what I'd ask.

Yep. Worked for me. More cash you earn the quicker you can retire. That's my only motivation :)

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #67306 on: August 20, 2020, 10:35:30 pm »

Yep. Worked for me. More cash you earn the quicker you can retire. That's my only motivation :)

There's a corollary to that: the more cash you don't spend the quicker you can retire.
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #67307 on: August 20, 2020, 10:40:52 pm »
There's a corollary to that: the more cash you don't spend the quicker you can retire.

Completely agree. One reason I tend to bounce gear regularly. The net expenditure on my hobbies and interests is less than zero :)

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
« Reply #67308 on: August 20, 2020, 10:42:08 pm »

Yes, but the large sums of money are necessary because you are dealing with the denizens of the fintech world. Frequently they are a good reminder that cream isn't the only thing that floats to the surface.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
« Reply #67309 on: August 20, 2020, 10:49:21 pm »
Latest acquisition is on test. Currently it agrees with my voltage standard to within 1.7ppm. It will be interesting to see how it behaves overnight.

I had measured my voltage standard for free, with an hp3458a that had been calibrated against a national primary standard 24hours earlier. Well free is an exaggeration; I paid £80 for a weekend in Hannover :)

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #67310 on: August 20, 2020, 11:00:33 pm »

Yes, but the large sums of money are necessary because you are dealing with the denizens of the fintech world. Frequently they are a good reminder that cream isn't the only thing that floats to the surface.

Back at the end of the last century (Eek, it's got to the point where that's a sane thing to say) the ISP that I was head techie and bottlewasher for (OK, Ops Manager) kept our London office on Cannon Street, right in the heart of London's financial district. That meant if we wanted to go to the pub, and we did, a lot, we had to rub shoulders with the City mob. Just going for a beer became a masterclass in anger management as you were forced to listen to the (overly loud) idiots mouthing off. I've wiped classier things off the sole of my shoe.

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, Specmaster

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #67311 on: August 20, 2020, 11:03:15 pm »
Ah we've replaced most of those twats with a few lines of C# now  :-DD

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, Specmaster

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
« Reply #67312 on: August 20, 2020, 11:22:59 pm »

Back at the end of the last century (Eek, it's got to the point where that's a sane thing to say) the ISP that I was head techie and bottlewasher for (OK, Ops Manager) kept our London office on Cannon Street, right in the heart of London's financial district. That meant if we wanted to go to the pub, and we did, a lot, we had to rub shoulders with the City mob. Just going for a beer became a masterclass in anger management as you were forced to listen to the (overly loud) idiots mouthing off. I've wiped classier things off the sole of my shoe.

I've always assumed that the Alex cartoon is a documentary, and Awful Warning.

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #67313 on: August 21, 2020, 02:01:57 am »
Ah we've replaced most of those twats with a few lines of C# now  :-DD

Over here we put 'em in the White House.  :palm:

mnem
*currently trying to find this tee in my size* 
« Last Edit: August 21, 2020, 02:09:31 am by mnementh »
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster, bd139

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #67314 on: August 21, 2020, 02:04:56 am »
LMAO. Popped back into whine. Don't ever talk to me about X509. Every fucking Java knacker yard fadhole scum pit that does fintech integrations uses it somewhere for something inappropriate. That or completely fucked up SFTP implementations where someone tried and failed to be clever about something. Argh. And then there's full stack SOAP and WS-* still out there. The worst was one that used a completely NIH bastardised X509 signed WS-BrokeredNotification that used a completely separate SAML identity provider to sign the certs and then you had to send the fucking token with the signed request?!?!?!?!?! And of course their fucked up F5 infrastructure doing DPI actually buggered everything going through it.

But no everyone is suddenly using msgpack now which is basically json which is basically a subset of javascript which doesn't even have precision decimal types so is absolutely inappropriate for use for financial values which are just rammed into IEEE 754 double precision values by people who are too scared to care because if they do it's going to hurt them even more. Oh and it doesn't have a standardised over-http implementation so every damn endpoint is subtely different.

If you understand any of that you will be crying with me (and stuffing your mattress full of gold coins and medicines before the world ends)

Edit: back to unfucking kubernetes liveness checks >:(
As a non-programmer and never been involved in IT support in any format, that meant diddley squat to me but I gathered from reading between the lines that it basically is a huge clusterfuck and that there is some point that all of this clusterfuck is going to come home to roost and that we should be stock piling gold and medicines. Is this something like the millennium bug that has a date and stamp that all this doom and gloom is going to descent upon us   :-// :-// |O
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

The following users thanked this post: bd139

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #67315 on: August 21, 2020, 02:26:50 am »
Worse... it's a fucking pyramid scheme of disparate hardware and software technologies all jammed together at high RPMs and friction-welded into a homonculous mass. It is only the hard work of crazy bastards like bd and myself who bother to jump in, shovel shit like crazy, then slap a patch onto it to keep the latest split seam from pissing diarrhea sludge all over the rest of the pyramid that keeps it all afloat.

The bitch part is that there's nobody in the last 2 generations who know jack shit about how it all really fits together except a few thousand freakazoids in Turkey and India who've been doing all the outsourced 3rd tier tech support for the last 2 decades (okay, slight exaggeration) and nobody since the millennials who could be arsed to do what I do; once the guys like them and bd and me all die off, the rest of the world is either going to be like the Eloi and those dingles on the Golgafrincham Ark Fleet Ship B, or like the fucking Morlocks already in Congress feeding off them. (not in any way even a slight exaggeration)   :palm:

The worst thing that ever happened to technology was when they allowed corporations to patent software.  |O

mnem
« Last Edit: August 21, 2020, 02:50:06 am by mnementh »
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster, bd139

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #67316 on: August 21, 2020, 02:44:57 am »
Huh...

https://flipperzero.one/one

https://pwnagotchi.ai/

mnem
*toddles off to ded*  :o
« Last Edit: August 21, 2020, 02:48:11 am by mnementh »

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster

Offline Saskia

• Super Contributor
  • you unlock this door with the key of imagination
« Reply #67317 on: August 21, 2020, 03:16:31 am »
Ahem, it's not just be and you, I am fucking old enough to remember all that OSI crap. Btw did corba ever materialize in any real world application ? Been doing that stuff since 1988, and I have sweet memories about a nice program I left at a bank for processing their futures settlements ...
It was written in make and had 67 lines. The initialization was done via a calling shell script. The Targets were recursive and calculated at runtime from variables set by the calling shell script which were modified using sed and awk as part of the target definition. When I left the bank it took them one employee for 18 months to get rid of that program.

Now I am tackling Mongo's authentication using  x.509 authentication and firewalling to harden my database for my translation system. Yuck.
Next step:. Attach a speech to text server with fpga speech recognition....
Just to add another layer of complexity ...
Out of sheer spite and to give me more job security.

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster, bd139, Kosmic

Offline Neomys Sapiens

• Super Contributor
« Reply #67318 on: August 21, 2020, 03:33:17 am »
Belarus  :palm:
You are not doing any half-assed bad decisions, are you?

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #67319 on: August 21, 2020, 03:49:14 am »
Ahem, it's not just be and you, I am fucking old enough to remember all that OSI crap. Btw did corba ever materialize in any real world application ? Been doing that stuff since 1988, and I have sweet memories about a nice program I left at a bank for processing their futures settlements ...
It was written in make and had 67 lines. The initialization was done via a calling shell script. The Targets were recursive and calculated at runtime from variables set by the calling shell script which were modified using sed and awk as part of the target definition. When I left the bank it took them one employee for 18 months to get rid of that program.

Now I am tackling Mongo's authentication using  x.509 authentication and firewalling to harden my database for my translation system. Yuck.
Next step:. Attach a speech to text server with fpga speech recognition....
Just to add another layer of complexity ...
Out of sheer spite and to give me more job security.

I said crazy bastards like us. You do qualify.  :-DD  And I hope you understand, I mean that as a compliment.  >:D

I am so very thankful that my end is only hardware. I spent my time working HellDesk; I have some small inkling of what it’s like to try and fix a problem via remote with nothing but a console and somebody else’s eyes to work with. What a luxury it is when you can have eyes and hands onsite that actually have half a clue what they’re seeing and what you need them to do!

In my old age, I am more than happy to provide that valuable service. Too bad so few of the current generations don’t feel it is beneath them.  :palm:

mnem
Do something, even if it’s wrong.

Offline mansaxel

• Super Contributor
  • SA0XLR
    • My very static home page
« Reply #67320 on: August 21, 2020, 03:55:46 am »

I once had to wrestle with the OSI IS<->IS routing protocol on a frigging IP network - made me start feeling nostalgic for RIPv1.

And here I am thinking that the ONLY thing that OSI ever produced that I like, is IS-IS. It is just like OSPF (both are Dijkstra graphs) but one instance is so estranged from IP that it routes both v4 and v6 without requiring double amount of config work and resulting mistakes you get in OSPF.  Yes, any IP net I build (and I've done a few) has IS-IS as its IGP. It is much neater than anything else. I've never had to deal with RIP, it's only OSPF, BGP and IS-IS, because that's what drives big nets. And MPLS of course. The ATM crowd's revenge on IP.

Offline Neomys Sapiens

• Super Contributor
« Reply #67321 on: August 21, 2020, 04:08:34 am »
I hate those days where this red, flashing 'BULLSHIT' alarm inside your head just above your external field of view goes off repeatedly. But worse is the blaring klaxon that comes with it.
When one device A with Software A' can communicate flawlessly with the target device and device B with software B' can't do that, it is obvious that the culprit is the (HW) interface converter, which is totally dumb and transparent, right? And the reason is that it is newly developed hardware.
And when 5 friggin' lazy SW bozos keep repeating it, it must be true, right?
No. Simply no.

Maybe I need to get some advice from Saskia on some topics. Like:
- can I reuse the sponges despite Covid?
- should the persons involved become connected in series or parallel?

Offline mansaxel

• Super Contributor
  • SA0XLR
« Reply #67322 on: August 21, 2020, 04:09:56 am »

Someone once dangled a Very Fat Paycheck (to me, at least) in front of me. The down side was that I'd have to work in fintech, and manage a small network that could not be touched during operating hours, even when demonstrated broken, just because.  I politely declined and kept on working for less where I was happy. Retirement won't happen until I'm past usual retirement age anyway, with the gummint slowly raising the lowest age you can retire with pension (because the system was designed for people to live 10 years in retirement and then die from bad health; now that people don't work like the idiot-nostalgics that comment on British Transport Films love, ie. in suit and tie in heavy industry, without PPE, constantly smoking, people strangely enough live longer.) and since I'm only dependent on my brain and typing skills to do my work, that can happen.  Might as well work where I won't go more than slightly crazy.

Offline mansaxel

• Super Contributor
  • SA0XLR
« Reply #67323 on: August 21, 2020, 04:24:00 am »
I am so very thankful that my end is only hardware. I spent my time working HellDesk; I have some small inkling of what it’s like to try and fix a problem via remote with nothing but a console and somebody else’s eyes to work with. What a luxury it is when you can have eyes and hands onsite that actually have half a clue what they’re seeing and what you need them to do!

In my old age, I am more than happy to provide that valuable service. Too bad so few of the current generations don’t feel it is beneath them.  :palm:

mnem
Do something, even if it’s wrong.

I spent better part of Wednesday in our other data centre, moving the connection for our props, dress and scenery storage facility to something other than a 15yo Fiona-hp switch. Standing with hearing protection, alone, and inspecting fiber ferrules, cleaning them, and making certain that they connect to the right port is a nice meditative work, that can't be trusted to helpdesk, service department, or colleagues (except one, the newest one, who's built a country-wide DWDM network at previous employer and really, really dislikes dirty optics..) because they'll just patch it up and see a green light and call it a day... That day. Whether it'll work in 2 weeks is another thing.

Yes, I'd go crazy if I did not get time at the bench and time in the machine room. But my work is most valuable to the company when I simply think and talk to people and computers. Those other things are therapy.

Offline psykok

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #67324 on: August 21, 2020, 06:22:19 am »
Today arrival.   :-+  ;D

cool, what are you gonna  do with all this nice res?

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf