Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 16768041 times)

Jambalaya, Carl_Smith, Vgkid and 40 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #67250 on: August 19, 2020, 05:36:48 pm »
Yeah, med already mentioned that; clearly the plugin was handled carelessly and got dropped. Happens a lot more than we'd care to admit; an occupational hazard with these scopes. ;)

med, dooya think that mismatched part coulda just been a old blind bastard like me misread the numbers...? I mean, it was just one digit, and we all know those plastic packages have a lot of variation. Alternately, coulda-shoulda been a matched pair, which obvi they are not, even if it was the same part number.

mnem
 :popcorn:

Yea, that's the Channel 1 Trigger Only switch and it works OK despite being slightly bent so I'm leaving it.

OK, just one digit off. Yea, shit happens. But wouldn't the fact that the damn thing didn't work after the change be a fucking clue?  :rant: :palm:

Yeah, sure... but we have no idea how much time said poor bastard worked on it already; s/he may have just decided to put it up for sale rather than Widlarize it good & proper to save his/her sanity.  |O

And if they HAD been a little more patient/sharper on the repair skillz, you wouldn't have gotten the deal you got.  ;)

mnem
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #67251 on: August 19, 2020, 05:54:23 pm »
Well I don't know. All these people getting exciting post and all that I got today was a bastard file.

Oh, and a box for the cat - but that's most deliveries.

I got nice, boring printer ink (so we can print out a new lease if we ever actually get one) and rollers so I can do some maintenance on my 3DP if I ever have time again.  :o

mnem
yey, Amazon... :P woot...?
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #67252 on: August 19, 2020, 06:04:18 pm »
Yeah, med already mentioned that; clearly the plugin was handled carelessly and got dropped. Happens a lot more than we'd care to admit; an occupational hazard with these scopes. ;)

med, dooya think that mismatched part coulda just been a old blind bastard like me misread the numbers...? I mean, it was just one digit, and we all know those plastic packages have a lot of variation. Alternately, coulda-shoulda been a matched pair, which obvi they are not, even if it was the same part number.

mnem

Yea, that's the Channel 1 Trigger Only switch and it works OK despite being slightly bent so I'm leaving it.

OK, just one digit off. Yea, shit happens. But wouldn't the fact that the damn thing didn't work after the change be a fucking clue?  :rant: :palm:

Yeah, sure... but we have no idea how much time said poor bastard worked on it already; s/he may have just decided to put it up for sale rather than Widlarize it good & proper to save his/her sanity.  |O

And if they HAD been a little more patient/sharper on the repair skillz, you wouldn't have gotten the deal you got.  ;)

mnem

It wasn't a screaming deal but a fair deal. Was owned by US Navy. And I'll bet it was some drunken swabbie who installed the wrong transistor and then the gov decided to surplus it.   
An old gray beard with an attitude.

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline Saskia

• Super Contributor
  • you unlock this door with the key of imagination

The following users thanked this post: med6753

Offline mansaxel

• Super Contributor
  • SA0XLR
    • My very static home page
« Reply #67254 on: August 19, 2020, 07:10:11 pm »

I'm probably better off not watching. The images you can find on the electronics sites these days...

Here you go:
mnem
 >:D

Yeah, I did figure out a way. We do   murals like that in Sweden.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carolina_Falkholt
« Last Edit: August 19, 2020, 07:25:57 pm by mansaxel »

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline tonyalbus

• Frequent Contributor
  • To better understand, you need to open it ;-)
    • My Channel
« Reply #67255 on: August 19, 2020, 07:46:54 pm »
This Fluke 1920A Frequency Counter is amazing!!.  9 Digits, op to 1400 Mhz..  :-//  from 1977 ..how is that possible in that time.

Electronics enthusiast, TEA and Radio Amateur (PE1ONS)
Marconi  - TTi - Thandar - Thurmbly - HP - Fluke - Philips - Siglent - Owon - TEK - Anritsu - Keithley - AVO - BG7TBL
https://www.youtube.com/TonyAlbus

The following users thanked this post: med6753, mnementh, Specmaster, bd139, BILLPOD

Offline factory

• Super Contributor
« Reply #67256 on: August 19, 2020, 08:40:02 pm »
I'm currently working on repairing the power supply board out of my late 60's HP 180A oscilloscope, it's been sitting in the repair queue for quite a while, since the normal fault finding procedure involves wasting lots of (now expensive) fuses.

To test it outside the scope requires at least three power supplies, the HP 711A & Farnell E350 supplied the normally unregulated inputs to the +100V & -100V rails, a third low voltage supply was used for the extra +105V rail used internally on this board and some 2N3055 pass transistors were also needed as these are external to the board.

The +100V output was working fine, but the -100V output was high & couldn't be adjusted, this was traced to Q416 after the voltage divider used for the adjustment, it had no effect as it was found to be partly open circuit.
Note: Q416 is one of those 1854-0071 (4-071) transistors that were supplied from various different sources and hence the pinout can be different, a salvaged replacement restored normal operation.

Hopefully I can get some time in a few days to work on the remaining supplies on the board, which all use the -100V as a reference.

David
« Last Edit: August 19, 2020, 08:46:40 pm by factory »

The following users thanked this post: Cubdriver, BU508A, med6753, Specmaster, bd139, Kosmic, tonyalbus

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #67257 on: August 19, 2020, 09:12:13 pm »
Unfortunately it's usually a bad thing when the reference supply goes bonkers and high because it could possibly damage the other outputs that use it as it's reference. Hopefully the remaining carnage will be minimal.

Offline Robert763

• Super Contributor
« Reply #67258 on: August 19, 2020, 09:25:56 pm »
 I've started tearing down thet 40W laser. Looks like the seller robbed a mirror from it but I'm not bothered.
It is clearly a repurposed LaserScope 800 medical laser. Lots of power supplies but whoever built it was not an electronics engineer. They kept this Huge 18" x 12" PCB just to drive a heater on the KTP frequency doubler crystal |O

And the matching Zenith ZPS300 2 output power supply. They also stuck in a couple of 12 V Meanwells - literally - they epoxied them to the optical base plate. They didint do a very good job, a bit of pressure in the right place and they popped off. Epoxy has poor peel strength and they didn't prepare the surfaces.

Found the manual for the original LaserScope and the arc lamp supply looks like Med's dream electrolytic Widlarizer - 4 kW, 0-35 A constant current with 250 V compliance. If that's not enough to get things started it applies a 800 V "boost" and 25 kV trigger pulses to get the current flowing >:D
Photos when I get it out of the case.

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, Specmaster

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #67259 on: August 19, 2020, 09:35:28 pm »

Found the manual for the original LaserScope and the arc lamp supply looks like Med's dream electrolytic Widlarizer - 4 kW, 0-35 A constant current with 250 V compliance. If that's not enough to get things started it applies a 800 V "boost" and 25 kV trigger pulses to get the current flowing >:D
Photos when I get it out of the case.

NOPE    NOPE    NOPE  :scared: :scared: :scared:

Be careful  :phew:

The following users thanked this post: Neomys Sapiens

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #67260 on: August 20, 2020, 02:55:52 am »
What could possibly go wrong...?  >:D

mnem
*toddles off to ded*

The following users thanked this post: tonyalbus

Offline Robert763

• Super Contributor
« Reply #67261 on: August 20, 2020, 07:18:56 am »
I'm sure it's perfectly safe - NOT This is just a caution from the manual:

"CAUTION the output is floating at AC line voltage whenever the AC input is connected, regardless of whether the power supply is enabled." :palm: :scared:

So the PSU output will kill you even when it's "off". I've had lots of high voltage experence including homemade Ar-ion laser PSUs  but I won't be plugging this in
Apparently the original medical laser had a 5 kW isolation transfomer in the base........

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, tonyalbus

Online Zucca

• Supporter
  • EE meid in Itali
« Reply #67262 on: August 20, 2020, 07:25:52 am »
@Zucca why don't you try this very tasty and yummy apple ?  >:D

Could you imagine to be married with a TEA girl like her?

Two benches one for her and one for me?
Bins of components everywhere?

Don't know... surely I would like to try her out for one week or so...  :-DD

PS:Jokes aside, kicking ass stuff. Keep pumping high quality vibrations in the air!
Can't know what you don't love. St. Augustine
Can't love what you don't know. Zucca

Offline Saskia

• Super Contributor
  • you unlock this door with the key of imagination
« Reply #67263 on: August 20, 2020, 07:51:32 am »
I'm sure it's perfectly safe - NOT This is just a caution from the manual:

"CAUTION the output is floating at AC line voltage whenever the AC input is connected, regardless of whether the power supply is enabled." :palm: :scared:

So the PSU output will kill you even when it's "off". I've had lots of high voltage experence including homemade Ar-ion laser PSUs  but I won't be plugging this in
Apparently the original medical laser had a 5 kW isolation transfomer in the base........

you only die once, or so they say ... (adapted from you only live twice) ...

The following users thanked this post: tonyalbus

Offline tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #67264 on: August 20, 2020, 08:02:45 am »
I always wanted to listen to the 1812 Overture at concert level ...

This recording is superb. The pitch of the helical track is much larger than usual, so the dynamic range is unbelievable. Of course that means the short piece is spread over both sides of the LP.

Strauss: Also Sprach Zarathustra. Herbert von Karajan. Vienna PO. Decca SDD 175. The Ace of Diamonds label was their top-flight label with the best vinyl, so there is no background hiss.

Shame I'll never be able to appreciate it again.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2020, 08:04:40 am by tggzzz »
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

Offline Robert763

• Super Contributor
« Reply #67265 on: August 20, 2020, 08:06:28 am »
And of course the rebuilder used all sensible precautions and connected the high voltage with -
4mm2 EARTH CABLE
1050388-0

I have a whole new respect for the HV insulation of Commando connectors.

Offline tonyalbus

• Frequent Contributor
    • My Channel
« Reply #67266 on: August 20, 2020, 08:08:44 am »
And of course the rebuilder used all sensible precautions and connected the high voltage with -
4mm2 EARTH CABLE
(Attachment Link)

:palm:
Marconi  - TTi - Thandar - Thurmbly - HP - Fluke - Philips - Siglent - Owon - TEK - Anritsu - Keithley - AVO - BG7TBL

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #67267 on: August 20, 2020, 08:39:19 am »
May be offline for a few days  :--. Total shit show :scared:. Work crazy busy because our outsourcers are basically off line thanks to political instability. Also eldest got her GCSE teacher graded exam results today which were excellent but we don't know if the government are going to fuck up or do a U-turn etc or not yet because they're a sack of cunts who should be shot :(

Specmaster: will get back to you regarding those F25 organs when I get a few minutes  :-+

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, Specmaster, Kosmic

Offline tonyalbus

• Frequent Contributor
    • My Channel
« Reply #67268 on: August 20, 2020, 08:46:13 am »
May be offline for a few days  :--. Total shit show :scared:. Work crazy busy because our outsourcers are basically off line thanks to political instability. Also eldest got her GCSE teacher graded exam results today which were excellent but we don't know if the government are going to fuck up or do a U-turn etc or not yet because they're a sack of cunts who should be shot :(

Specmaster: will get back to you regarding those F25 organs when I get a few minutes  :-+

Good luck!

The following users thanked this post: bd139

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #67269 on: August 20, 2020, 08:47:22 am »
4mm2 EARTH CABLE
(Attachment Link)

:palm:

:palm:  :palm:
“Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought. It always defeats order, because it is better organized.”            - Terry Pratchett -

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #67270 on: August 20, 2020, 08:48:44 am »

Congrats to your eldest and all the best from me.
And for you: take care and with all this stress have some time a cup of tea or something. Look after yourself.
“Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought. It always defeats order, because it is better organized.”            - Terry Pratchett -

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster, bd139

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #67271 on: August 20, 2020, 09:09:43 am »

Have a blast. Where are your outsourcers located?

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #67272 on: August 20, 2020, 09:12:55 am »
Belarus  :palm:

Offline Ice-Tea

• Super Contributor
    • Freelance Hardware Engineer
« Reply #67273 on: August 20, 2020, 09:19:55 am »
 :o :o

Offline tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #67274 on: August 20, 2020, 09:27:47 am »
4mm2 EARTH CABLE

Just hope you don't buy a house where such a person has done DIY improvements. "Structural wall? What's that?" etc
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf