Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 16713098 times)

dew and 72 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline psykok

• Frequent Contributor
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #66825 on: August 15, 2020, 09:53:30 am »
Sure I will, just need to find time to do it.

Offline mansaxel

• Super Contributor
  • SA0XLR
    • My very static home page
« Reply #66826 on: August 15, 2020, 10:08:20 am »
Fluke 25 battle axe...

Axe? Brick, hammer, projectile...

I like them :)

Yes, I should get something for the car. 25 or 27FM should be it. And perhaps decide which of my meters goes in the carry-away tool kit; the Fluke 10 is a bit limited. Definitely tempted to put the 974A there. It is habit-forming.

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #66827 on: August 15, 2020, 10:11:16 am »
I keep my HV tortured BM22s in the car. If I put a larger meter in there it might wreck the mpg on my car  :-DD

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #66828 on: August 15, 2020, 10:41:27 am »
Ok back to more normal programming, here is today's odd eBay item, I mean  :wtf:, what kind of weed are these guys smoking, I mean this guy clearly knows his stuff.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/224118744807?
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #66829 on: August 15, 2020, 10:54:32 am »
Another item for the collection.  Fluke 25 battle axe with slightly iffy ohms range for £20. Volts work.  Probably leakage somewhere that needs cleaning or something stupider. Figured it was worth a punt at that price as the rest of it is fairly tidy.

Edit: also has anyone in the UK got any ebay deals sent out this week? Need to sell some shit  :-DD
Great little meters, really rugged and hold their specs well but are so easy to re-calibrate anyway using the trimming pots.  :-+
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline AVGresponding

• Super Contributor
  • Exploring Rabbit Holes Since The 1970s
« Reply #66830 on: August 15, 2020, 10:55:37 am »
Ok back to more normal programming, here is today's odd eBay item, I mean  :wtf:, what kind of weed are these guys smoking, I mean this guy clearly knows his stuff.

idk but put some in a pipe for me!   :-DD

Look at his other items, some genuine shite there!   :clap:

I just won this for £31 shipped:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Spiralux-Fretsaw-1010-/293687280331
nuqDaq yuch Dapol?
Addiction count: Agilent-AVO-BlackStar-Brymen-Chauvin Arnoux-Fluke-GenRad-Hameg-HP-Keithley-IsoTech-Mastech-Megger-Metrix-Micronta-Racal-RFL-Siglent-Solartron-Tektronix-Thurlby-Time Electronics-TTi-UniT

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster

Offline FransW

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #66831 on: August 15, 2020, 11:27:13 am »
Saskia & Specmaster

It is not the location.
It is a gift.
PE1CCN, Systems Engineering, HP, Philips, TEK, BRYMAN, Fluke, Keithley

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #66832 on: August 15, 2020, 12:00:32 pm »
Fluke 25 battle axe...

Axe? Brick, hammer, projectile...

I like them :)

Yes, I should get something for the car. 25 or 27FM should be it. And perhaps decide which of my meters goes in the carry-away tool kit; the Fluke 10 is a bit limited. Definitely tempted to put the 974A there. It is habit-forming.

If I was to get a meter to be kept in the car for use on the car, my checklist would be:
  • can distinguish between 11V and 12V, and whether a bulb is open circuit, resistive, or a short circuit
  • small, so it doesn't take up too much room in a glove compartment or shelf
  • no battery, so it will still work when I need it in 2 years time
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #66833 on: August 15, 2020, 12:06:01 pm »
To be honest the only meter I’ve had to use in my car in ten years is a continuity tester and a clamp meter.

Just spent an hour turning that 1707b into its component parts. It hurts slightly but it was way way way beyond repair. Thus it will serve a new life as a parts library. Must have pulled about 25m of wire out of it as well which is good. Oh and a whole load of pots and knobs and RF transistors.

Edit: got my 6205 power supply  :phew:

Edit 2: all that remains of the 1707b.

« Last Edit: August 15, 2020, 01:06:58 pm by bd139 »

The following users thanked this post: med6753, Specmaster, tonyalbus

Offline nixiefreqq

• Super Contributor
« Reply #66834 on: August 15, 2020, 01:23:12 pm »

idk but put some in a pipe for me!   :-DD

Look at his other items, some genuine shite there!   :clap:

I just won this for £31 shipped:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Spiralux-Fretsaw-1010-/293687280331

gotta' give the guy some slack.....after all he has some wild photography skills.

am puzzled by one of his other listings though.   he makes a point that the pants are not his......they are his brothers.  well that would make all the difference to me.   always wanted some guys brothers pants....but not his pants.

free range primate

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #66835 on: August 15, 2020, 01:25:53 pm »
More HP spam. 6205 initial look...

inside. yuck. Someone didn't like the exposed mains wiring (I'm not a fan of it either) but decided masking tape was appropriate. It'll be in a stack here so good.

Front. Looks ok. One knob bust as expected. 3DP job coming up. Might try ABS

Quick brush - looking better already:

So TODO List:

1. Clean it out.
2. Look for anything about to explode.
3. Undo the masking tape job
4. Check the barrier strips are wired up right on the back
5. Check capacitor ESRs and replace if required.
6. Fire up, check meters.
7. Clean up rest of case and desticker.
8. Recalibrate
9. Burn in.
10. Check cal again.
11. 3DP a new knob for it.

Happy so far.

Edit: I actually bought this one for the flexibility. It'll do 80V at 300mA, 2x 15v at 600mA, 20V @ 1.2A etc. Really useful.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2020, 01:28:01 pm by bd139 »

The following users thanked this post: med6753, mnementh, Specmaster, Kosmic, tonyalbus

Offline nixiefreqq

• Super Contributor
« Reply #66836 on: August 15, 2020, 01:27:11 pm »
To be honest the only meter I’ve had to use in my car in ten years is a continuity tester and a clamp meter.

Just spent an hour turning that 1707b into its component parts. It hurts slightly but it was way way way beyond repair. Thus it will serve a new life as a parts library. Must have pulled about 25m of wire out of it as well which is good. Oh and a whole load of pots and knobs and RF transistors.

Edit: got my 6205 power supply  :phew:

Edit 2: all that remains of the 1707b.

i'm beggin' ya'.   no more pictures of the abattoir floor.

it is too upsetting to my sensitive nature.

free range primate

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #66837 on: August 15, 2020, 01:59:29 pm »

"From a smoke and pet free home" - Yeah right, if he wasn't wreathed in ganja smoke when he posted that on eBay then what excuse has he got?
Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #66838 on: August 15, 2020, 02:12:48 pm »
I post this tracking detail from a DHL delivery I'm expecting without further comment:

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, bd139

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #66839 on: August 15, 2020, 03:25:20 pm »
Insides cleaned out, caps checked, functionality checked, light clean done. Works nicely  :-+

Check out all those volts :)

Next steps: make replacement knob, front panel clean down.

The following users thanked this post: med6753, Specmaster, Kosmic

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #66840 on: August 15, 2020, 03:26:26 pm »
I post this tracking detail from a DHL delivery I'm expecting without further comment:

That is worthy of posting on twitter with appropriate hashtags; it might get their attention.
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #66841 on: August 15, 2020, 03:45:59 pm »
Ah, geez...  You guys are making me find all sorts of new music I hadn't heard before, now I wanna burn a disc!

I'm trying to head out on the highway (and only have a CD player set up in the van right now) to go to the lake, about 7h from here, but I still have a couple more loads of stuff to get out of what was my parents' house...  It's already gonna be like 5am by the time I get out of here, I don't want to start burning discs now... LOL :)

I'm almost done, though, luckily!!...  Then VROOM, VROOM!!  :)
This is what the garage still looked like yesterday:    :scared:

Before there was ElectroBOOM! there was drussell !!!  :-DD

No kidding... wow. I used to have that VERY garage... almost down to every line item... (TIP120 MCP MonoBlock Power Amps anyone...? >:D) at the grandpeeples place until like '98. Then it all hadda go, with the exception of a very few rare auto parts (Ram Air IV spec Pontiac 400, some TH400s, a couple Cadd 500s) in the back of my pumpkin orange '64 Falcon van still squirreled away in the back corner of my cousin's property. *sigh*

mnem
*raises a glass to the ORANGE CRATE and all the best kind of trouble we got into together*
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #66842 on: August 15, 2020, 03:58:47 pm »
Some fun with HP knobs and F360. This should accept the metal doodad, the name of which escapes me, plus some epoxy inside it as a compromise.

Will print one out tomorrow in PLA. I may try ABS for this.

The following users thanked this post: xrunner, mnementh, Kosmic

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #66843 on: August 15, 2020, 04:15:39 pm »

That is worthy of posting on twitter with appropriate hashtags; it might get their attention.

I'm not a twit, therefore I do not Twitter.  I always thought that the name of the service was an inherent warning, like "The Groucho Club".

I can see the value of Twitter as a device for harassing errant corporations and giving certain people a platform to permanently record their ignorance, vanity, cupidity and stupidity, but the whole thing has never appealed to me. I'm good enough at making an public fool of myself to a relatively small audience; why would I want the world as a stage? On the occasions where I have had a very public platform for my opinions I've had the luxury of having a sub-editor between me and public self-shaming - I think I'll keep it that way.

Anyway, I'm quite curious how long that Docklands <=> Heathrow shuffle will continue if the system is left undisturbed. Will it still be circulating back and forth at Christmas?
« Last Edit: August 15, 2020, 04:19:43 pm by Cerebus »

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #66844 on: August 15, 2020, 04:16:55 pm »
Some fun with HP knobs and F360. This should accept the metal doodad, the name of which escapes me, plus some epoxy inside it as a compromise.

"insert"

The following users thanked this post: bd139

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #66845 on: August 15, 2020, 04:18:07 pm »
Remember I said I wasn't going to re-cap the 5248L because the original cans were riveted in and I didn't want to resort to drilling? Well, forget that. One way or another I'm going to get it done. If it involves drilling so be it.

Did the first capacitor today. By the crystal oven. I was able to mount a terminal strip on a nearby board on an accessible stud without drilling. The original can remains in place and is just visible below that pair of TO-5 transistors. New 510uf/100V cap mounted on the strip.

Because of the complexity of this re-cap going to do one or two at a time and then power up and verify.

An old gray beard with an attitude.

The following users thanked this post: bd139, Kosmic, syau

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #66846 on: August 15, 2020, 04:24:52 pm »

"insert"

That's the one. Completely disappeared from my head. Probably all the isopropyl fumes I've been huffing all afternoon  :o

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #66847 on: August 15, 2020, 04:25:34 pm »
Some of those old Ghetto blasters do sound quite good as long as you don't crank the volume to max and then force them to play rap crap.  ::)

Everyone's a hater...

Nothing wrong with Hip-Hop as a genre, though I'll grant you there are some real turds out there. Same can be said of any genre though.

Try and peel me from my Fugees, dead prez, NWA, and I'll pop a cap in your ass.

(SNIP)

My work colleagues think I'm weird for listening to this:

I just tell them it's my ancestors calling me...

I wouldn't mind rap/hip-hop if most of it wasn't about hating and killing people who look like me.  :-// Yeah sure... one can always point to specific examples that aren't hateful, self-destructive, willfully ignorant and/or nauseatingly sexist and/or racist... but the body of work here is primary one or more or all of these things.

As much as I love to bitch about stuff, I am a primarily positive, helpful and constructive person at heart. I am viscerally offended by a world-view that is fundamentally hateful, divisive  and destructive; which is what most of this genre propagates. That literally is its stock in trade.

Your Krigsgaldr vid... overall I like it. They certainly do put on a show; even if the verbal message is coming from a dark place, I grok the construction/deconstruction aspects, and I understand the need to vent those emotions. As long as the drive of the music is generally towards a hopeful place instead of ONLY to reaffirm the hate and rage, I see it as a net positive in the world.

I guess for me the big problem with rap/hip-hop is how much purely hateful shit you have to wade through for the relatively few nuggets of good stuff. That shit gets on you man, and it drags you down. I just don't have the energy any more.

mnem
IMO, YMMV, DQMOT, DILLIGAF, OMFGWTFBBQ...
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

The following users thanked this post: bd139

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #66848 on: August 15, 2020, 04:27:31 pm »

"insert"

That's the one. Completely disappeared from my head. Probably all the isopropyl fumes I've been huffing all afternoon  :o

Probably went to the same place as SWMBO's 3rd pair of reading glasses.  :)

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #66849 on: August 15, 2020, 04:50:10 pm »

I guess for me the big problem with rap/hip-hop is how much purely hateful shit you have to wade through for the relatively few nuggets of good stuff. That shit gets on you man, and it drags you down. I just don't have the energy any more.

mnem
IMO, YMMV, DQMOT, DILLIGAF, OMFGWTFBBQ...

This is how much I hate that garbage.  :-- :-- Warning, NSFW. 

An old gray beard with an attitude.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf