Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 16758483 times)

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #66350 on: August 10, 2020, 08:14:26 am »
@ Cerebus Personally I'd not be as quick to write that photo of the scallywag diving into the sea from the old pier remains as an archive photo. It could possibly be a still frame pulled from a drone filming in 4k so the photographer remained high and dry on the shore and the photo might just have been a lucky capture. These days they can get some stunning quality pictures from a drone without the photographer ever being put into harms way.

I do share your sentiment about not believing everything in the media these days. I never did, I remember years ago a reporter coming to interview my parents over a dispute with the local authorities and when the article was published it bore very little resemblance to the interview and carried quotes my parents were alleged to have said, pure lies, the paper was made to print a retraction and an apology the following week.

One only has to look at today's media to see how they flip-flop, Brexit is typical example of that. :popcorn:
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #66351 on: August 10, 2020, 08:34:24 am »
Spotted on eBay here: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/274453423068?ul_noapp=true

I'll leave the photo in thumbnail mode, you take a glance and guess what brand the scope is and only then open the thumbnail to full size. Who? Yeah, I'd never hear of them either.

OK, fettled that a bit, the native thumbnail is a little too small for immediate recognition of what you'll think it is.

Hmm.. quite likely it is a rebadged one from another better known brand. Either way it is little better than a Tek TDS210 apart it being 4 channels, 200MHz and has some colour, it has the same pathetic memory depth of 1GS/s.
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #66352 on: August 10, 2020, 08:37:25 am »
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/welec-w2000a-another-weird-oscilloscope/

It's a tuuuuurrrrddddd! (a ripped off Agilent lookalike)

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #66353 on: August 10, 2020, 08:42:25 am »
It's not a "CRT Scope" it is a fully digital 'scope with a computer display that happens to be a magnetically deflected raster CRT rater than an LCD. Personally I prefer that.

And in this case, the CRT is in like new condition, so random age-rather-than-hours related HV failures set aside, should serve its purpose as long as its owner does.

Though... I suppose next time I have window of availability for a random boredom project, I can reverse engineer the thing and figure out a interface for LCD as a backup. This thing has a flat-screen CRT; mechanically, LCD retrofit should be as simple as those HP SA kits we were talking about a few months back.

mnem
*off to sell a sewing machine*

See second last page of the CLIP PDF for the 54601. Same CRT. First PDF in list:

http://www.ko4bb.com/getsimple/index.php?id=manuals&dir=HP_Agilent/HP_54601_Digital_Storage_Oscilloscope

Not sure of the interface but it has vsync, hsync, HHB, HFB connections at TTL levels and sucks up 5v and 12v and that’s it. Probably something LCD off the shelf can get chucked in it. Never looked at it. The CRT modules are well known for the caps drying out though so check them. The troublesome ones are at the fat end of the CRT to the left looking at the rear of the unit.

Thanks. I did a quick visual before the live fire test (to make sure I didn't get to meet any live fire ;)) and they all look pristine without trace of leakage on the PCB. But... livestock, etc. I should def check and probably replace all the DC rail caps at least; but I see that as an issue that can wait til after the move.  :-+

24 kHz line and 60Hz frame. A Gonbes GBS-8200 converter and 7" bare VGA display should be a almost turn key solution.

Yeah, that's why I'm not sure what would be right. I believe I recall reading somewhere that it uses a 1000-line display; so what; 1280 x 960 in 4:3 aspect? I can't remember the last time I saw that in the wild. ???

(SNIP)
mnem
 :-/O

ummmmm.  just a thought.

while you were in there did you check the date code on the dallas nvram?  (am thinking that it may not outlive you per the plan)

replaced the one in my hp54601 with separate sram, controller chip, and battery. (encapsulated batteries really piss me off)

but iirc yours uses an 8kx8 (and maybe STMicro vice dallas?), and mine was a 2kx8. 

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/repair/hp-54601a-nvram-substitute/

That... is a question for when I replace caps in the thing. ;) I did notice a label on the back stating it contains a BR1225 coin cell; pretty sure that means NVRAM battery will be replaceable. May need some soldering, of course.

Hmmm... that warranty label appears OEM issue; maybe the Agilent-branded handle IS original.  :-//

These points are also something I can get into after the move; in the meantime, just going to love it and use it as needed. :-+

mnem
Wow, is that really 39 years young?
Who let Murphy in?

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline Saskia

• Super Contributor
  • you unlock this door with the key of imagination
« Reply #66354 on: August 10, 2020, 08:49:00 am »
time flies when yer having fun.

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, Specmaster

Offline HighVoltage

• Super Contributor
« Reply #66355 on: August 10, 2020, 10:43:05 am »

Surprise! Surprise! .... not.   :(

HV got at the end a new DMM7510 from https://www.instrumex.de/...  :-+ Lovely

Yes, I bought a brand new DMM7510 from Instrumex and it arrived today.
Now I have two for comparison.

Well, there is always one more... if someone is interested.
Just found a used DMM7510 at Datatec for EURO 1155 + VAT
https://www.datatec.de/detail/index/sArticle/95173

There are 3 kinds of people in this world, those who can count and those who can not.

The following users thanked this post: msliva, BU508A, Specmaster

Offline Robert763

• Super Contributor
« Reply #66356 on: August 10, 2020, 10:57:39 am »
Scored a LEM / HEME HEME-100 AC/DC clamp meter "Parts or not working" on ebay for £7.90 ($10) including postage  on Thursday www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HEME-clip-on-clamp-meter-AC-DC-100-Spare-and-repair-only-/174370971250?
Have a couple of the 1000A ones and wanted the 100A They have a 'scope output wich is useful.
Arrived this morning - dead as expected.
Fitted new 9 V battery - works perfectly  ;D

The battery location is not obvious on these and I'm sure people think they need a powersupply connected to the micro xlr to work.

The following users thanked this post: BU508A, mnementh, Specmaster, tonyalbus

Offline srb1954

• Super Contributor
  • Retired Electronics Design Engineer
« Reply #66357 on: August 10, 2020, 10:58:38 am »
Check the label on that mains input filter module - if it is a Schaffner brand it probably has a RIFA cap inside and you should replace it ASAP.

The filter on my PM6681 went bang (really really loud, like a rifle shot) and a horrible, sticky, extremely smelly goo oozed out of it. I have had similar failures with Schaffner filters and I suspect that the cause was a failed RIFA capacitor inside.

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, Specmaster

Online BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #66358 on: August 10, 2020, 11:16:05 am »
Check the label on that mains input filter module - if it is a Schaffner brand it probably has a RIFA cap inside and you should replace it ASAP.

The filter on my PM6681 went bang (really really loud, like a rifle shot) and a horrible, sticky, extremely smelly goo oozed out of it. I have had similar failures with Schaffner filters and I suspect that the cause was a failed RIFA capacitor inside.

Nice, another PM6681 owner.  :-+  :D
Welcome to the club.
“Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought. It always defeats order, because it is better organized.”            - Terry Pratchett -

The following users thanked this post: srb1954

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #66359 on: August 10, 2020, 11:24:07 am »

We are very familiar with RIFA caps and the trouble they cause, both inside and outside of Schaffner filters.

An old gray beard with an attitude.

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster, wolfy007, bd139, tonyalbus

Offline tonyalbus

• Frequent Contributor
  • To better understand, you need to open it ;-)
    • My Channel
« Reply #66360 on: August 10, 2020, 11:25:02 am »

Nice, another PM6681 owner.  :-+  :D
Welcome to the club.

such a cool meter...... on my list...   concrats!
Electronics enthusiast, TEA and Radio Amateur (PE1ONS)
Marconi  - TTi - Thandar - Thurmbly - HP - Fluke - Philips - Siglent - Owon - TEK - Anritsu - Keithley - AVO - BG7TBL
https://www.youtube.com/TonyAlbus

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #66361 on: August 10, 2020, 11:28:57 am »

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, Specmaster, wolfy007, srb1954

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #66362 on: August 10, 2020, 11:39:59 am »
ummmmm.  just a thought. while you were in there did you check the date code on the dallas nvram?  (am thinking that it may not outlive you per the plan)  replaced the one in my hp54601 with separate sram, controller chip, and battery. (encapsulated batteries really piss me off)   but iirc yours uses an 8kx8 (and maybe STMicro vice dallas?), and mine was a 2kx8.  https://www.eevblog.com/forum/repair/hp-54601a-nvram-substitute/

That... is a question for when I replace caps in the thing. ;) I did notice a label on the back stating it contains a BR1225 coin cell; pretty sure that means NVRAM battery will be replaceable. May need some soldering, of course.

Hmmm... that warranty label appears OEM issue; maybe the Agilent-branded handle IS original.  :-//

These points are also something I can get into after the move; in the meantime, just going to love it and use it as needed. :-+

mnem

No, but I wish I were.  :-DD  If we're all still around in 20 years, we can compare notes.  ;)

mnem
This spoo is making me depressed.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2020, 11:41:57 am by mnementh »
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline tonyalbus

• Frequent Contributor
    • My Channel
« Reply #66363 on: August 10, 2020, 12:20:32 pm »
just missed that  Thandar TS3022S DC PSU...   :(
but have enough PSU's  :)
Marconi  - TTi - Thandar - Thurmbly - HP - Fluke - Philips - Siglent - Owon - TEK - Anritsu - Keithley - AVO - BG7TBL

Online BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #66364 on: August 10, 2020, 12:34:55 pm »

Who are you and what have you done with Tony?  ???   ;D
“Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought. It always defeats order, because it is better organized.”            - Terry Pratchett -

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster, tonyalbus

Offline tonyalbus

• Frequent Contributor
    • My Channel
« Reply #66365 on: August 10, 2020, 12:37:25 pm »

was overbid on ebay, now fooling myself i dont mind  :-DD

Offline tonyalbus

• Frequent Contributor
    • My Channel
« Reply #66366 on: August 10, 2020, 12:39:27 pm »

was overbid on ebay, now fooling myself i dont mind  :-DD

turn out, not fooling me and not you ..

Offline tonyalbus

• Frequent Contributor
    • My Channel
« Reply #66367 on: August 10, 2020, 01:10:58 pm »
 8) Antritsu MF1603A .. its allready in... yeah... PSU..what?
even 1 more digit more then i thought..
Still no luck on the manuals, so if someone has, please DM...

i love the LSD button.... peace!   :-DD
« Last Edit: August 10, 2020, 01:23:36 pm by tonyalbus »

The following users thanked this post: med6753, bd139

Offline McBryce

• Super Contributor
« Reply #66368 on: August 10, 2020, 01:47:52 pm »
Spotted on eBay here: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/274453423068?ul_noapp=true

I'll leave the photo in thumbnail mode, you take a glance and guess what brand the scope is and only then open the thumbnail to full size. Who? Yeah, I'd never hear of them either.

OK, fettled that a bit, the native thumbnail is a little too small for immediate recognition of what you'll think it is.

Hmm.. quite likely it is a rebadged one from another better known brand. Either way it is little better than a Tek TDS210 apart it being 4 channels, 200MHz and has some colour, it has the same pathetic memory depth of 1GS/s.

1GS/s is the memory depth?? And what sample rate does it have - 2Mpts? :)

@tonyalbus: Does the LSD button "work"? :)

McBryce.
30 Years making cars more difficult to repair.

Offline tonyalbus

• Frequent Contributor
    • My Channel
« Reply #66369 on: August 10, 2020, 02:25:02 pm »
@tonyalbus: Does the LSD button "work"? :)
McBryce.

The following users thanked this post: AVGresponding

Offline psykok

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #66370 on: August 10, 2020, 02:25:29 pm »
8) Antritsu MF1603A .. its allready in... yeah... PSU..what?
even 1 more digit more then i thought..
Still no luck on the manuals, so if someone has, please DM...

i love the LSD button.... peace!   :-DD

Really  nice counter !

The following users thanked this post: tonyalbus

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #66371 on: August 10, 2020, 02:29:19 pm »
@ Cerebus Personally I'd not be as quick to write that photo of the scallywag diving into the sea from the old pier remains as an archive photo. It could possibly be a still frame pulled from a drone filming in 4k so the photographer remained high and dry on the shore and the photo might just have been a lucky capture. These days they can get some stunning quality pictures from a drone without the photographer ever being put into harms way.

I do share your sentiment about not believing everything in the media these days. I never did, I remember years ago a reporter coming to interview my parents over a dispute with the local authorities and when the article was published it bore very little resemblance to the interview and carried quotes my parents were alleged to have said, pure lies, the paper was made to print a retraction and an apology the following week.

One only has to look at today's media to see how they flip-flop, Brexit is typical example of that. :popcorn:

Well, I'm not going argue the toss with you but there's a chap here called William of Ockham who sounds like he does.  :)
Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster, mansaxel

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #66372 on: August 10, 2020, 02:37:14 pm »
ummmmm.  just a thought. while you were in there did you check the date code on the dallas nvram?  (am thinking that it may not outlive you per the plan)  replaced the one in my hp54601 with separate sram, controller chip, and battery. (encapsulated batteries really piss me off)   but iirc yours uses an 8kx8 (and maybe STMicro vice dallas?), and mine was a 2kx8.  https://www.eevblog.com/forum/repair/hp-54601a-nvram-substitute/

mnem

No, but I wish I were.  :-DD  If we're all still around in 20 years, we can compare notes.  ;)

mnem
This spoo is making me depressed.
Does that warranty sticker say 3rd May 2031  :-//
Who let Murphy in?

The following users thanked this post: tonyalbus

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #66373 on: August 10, 2020, 02:39:41 pm »

Does that warranty sticker say 3rd May 2031  :-//

No, 31 May 2003.
An old gray beard with an attitude.

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #66374 on: August 10, 2020, 02:42:37 pm »

Did you ever consider your or your parent's  experience may be business as usual? "These days" suggests otherwise.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf