Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 16758541 times)

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #66275 on: August 09, 2020, 06:09:45 pm »
Good thing there's currently no Grumpy Ol' Git award to pass around.   ;D

There was, but it's the kind of "win it three times and you get to keep the trophy forever" trophy. I believe it now graces a mantelpiece in Highland, New York.

:-DD Well played, C. well played.  :clap:

mnem
*Toddles off to watch some Linus videozz in the cooler office area*
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster

Offline Robert763

• Super Contributor
« Reply #66276 on: August 09, 2020, 06:10:27 pm »
I think in reality to be awarded the gong of Jammy Git, the price has to a real bargain and I don't think it was in this case, unfortunately  :(

How low would it have to be?  He paid $65 USD.
Shipping was that much as well, its the total package that counts.

No, it wasn't....
Including shipping and import fees it was under $100 USD...  (He said he ended up paying less than $135 CAD all-in.)
I think that's an incredible bargain. 

I'd take that in a heatbeat!!
Well maybe I'm being a tad to harsh, but either way to me its still CRT scope and over here the considered going rate for them is £1 a MHZ. Taking the 135Cad$ and converting to GBP is £77. It was also badly damaged, it was really cosmetically as it turned out but it could have been so much worse.

It's not a "CRT Scope" it is a fully digital 'scope with a computer display that happens to be a magnetically deflrcted raster CRT rater than an LCD. Personally I prefer that.

The following users thanked this post: drussell, mnementh, 0culus

Offline mansaxel

• Super Contributor
  • SA0XLR
    • My very static home page
« Reply #66277 on: August 09, 2020, 06:15:08 pm »
Screw that. We’re having hot dogs. Zero effort, similar outcome and not a lot of heat required  :-DD

This Friday, I took Ye Olde Studer Deske out to do some jazz, again. Went really well, considering. As I was leaving after having packed up all my gear and stowed the PA (I only provide most of the microphones, my mixing desk (the Studer) and effects; the rest is locally supplied) the staff came with a bottle of prosecco and a kilo of raw brisket, both leftovers. This is a mutual-benefit pro bono gig, supporting the local dancehall / concert / amusement park, because I feel much better after an evening there. Still, getting their gratitude in bubbly wine and meat felt really nice.

• So, which is why I'm replying with it here, we had home ground hamburgers this evening, made on the grill.
  • I need to de-crust all toggle switches in the desk. They can be temporarily revived with lots of jiggling but are prone to going open again at their own discretion, which is embarrassing.

I'm considering my options here. On one hand, the exact replacement is available; but I'd like, in the light of a full replacement (30 switches DPDT, 20 switches SPDT; I've already bought replacements for the on-off-(on) DPDT ones.) costing a metric fuck-ton, to explore cleaning them. Switches are quite easy to get out, they're panel mounted and have flying leads with terminals that connect to the PCB.

Would an ultrasonic make a difference?

Offline Saskia

• Super Contributor
  • you unlock this door with the key of imagination
« Reply #66278 on: August 09, 2020, 06:33:58 pm »
give it a try. Together with some electronics cleaner.

When cleaning a pinball wire harness we ususally just take it out, leave coils, switches, etc attached, and throw it into the ultrasonic.

Normally that works like a charm.

Offline Saskia

• Super Contributor
« Reply #66279 on: August 09, 2020, 06:39:09 pm »
do you have one or do you need one ? I have a 2l and a 0.8l Elma new in the box.
I could part with one.
https://ultraschall-welt.de/ultraschallreiniger/einsatzbereiche/hobby-und-alltagsgeraete/40/emmi-08-sth-ultraschallreiniger-aus-edelstahl-mit-heizung?c=17

I think, that's one of them.

This should be the other.
https://ultraschall-welt.de/ultraschallreiniger/einsatzbereiche/werkstattgeraete-kompakt/65/emmi-20-hc?c=69

If you are interested, let me know. both are NIB and from the returns bench.
Can be had at considerable discount.

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #66280 on: August 09, 2020, 06:48:14 pm »
That explains it then as not many gardens in London are big enough to have a gazebo and those that do, usually call it a porch  :)

Hey some of us have two gardens  8)

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #66281 on: August 09, 2020, 07:01:15 pm »

There was, but it's the kind of "win it three times and you get to keep the trophy forever" trophy. I believe it now graces a mantelpiece in Highland, New York.

mnem

Bite me.....both of you.  >:D >:D ;D
An old gray beard with an attitude.

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #66282 on: August 09, 2020, 07:05:20 pm »
Well it seems that claims that the heat has fried the brains of us Brits might not too far from the truth after all  :palm: :-DD

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-53714894
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

The following users thanked this post: bd139

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #66283 on: August 09, 2020, 07:10:46 pm »
Well it seems that claims that the heat has fried the brains of us Brits might not too far from the truth after all  :palm: :-DD

So much for social distancing.  :palm:

We're having same issue here. Several parks have been closed down again because of crowds and lack of "proper" social distancing.

The following users thanked this post: bd139

Offline Saskia

• Super Contributor
« Reply #66284 on: August 09, 2020, 07:17:49 pm »
will spend my upcoming vacation on a boat.

still have the RTU for the RIB I sold last year.

will go fishing. It's the only activity where you can chill and still kill something.

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #66285 on: August 09, 2020, 07:40:47 pm »
Haven’t been fishing for years. Don’t believe it in unless you’re going to eat what you catch.

So much for social distancing.  :palm:

We're having same issue here. Several parks have been closed down again because of crowds and lack of "proper" social distancing.

As an antisocial sort of person, fuck ‘em. Put your feet up and watch it burn.

To be fair I’m enjoying this whole thing. Firstly enjoying some schadenfreude from a couple of family members I really dislike who have had somewhat epic self inflicted falls from grace. The sudden obvious disparity between productive members of society over people who merely talk a lot and get their toes into everything which is difficult via zoom. The decline in consumerism and the retail sector which have been screwing people with cost, time and inconvenience since the beginning of time. And finally the death of the metropolitan office which was a stupid invention from an energy, social and environmental impact driven by the sheer arrogance of the queen bee class. On top of that our self inflicted collapse of society caused by petty political corruption driven by foreign influence is about to serve a meteor sized slice of humble pie to the racists and morons.  What’s not to like?

Despite being a cynical bastard, the glass is half full not empty :)
« Last Edit: August 09, 2020, 07:42:29 pm by bd139 »

The following users thanked this post: med6753, mnementh, Specmaster

Offline mansaxel

• Super Contributor
  • SA0XLR
    • My very static home page
« Reply #66286 on: August 09, 2020, 07:42:46 pm »

If you are interested, let me know. both are NIB and from the returns bench.
Can be had at considerable discount.

ooooh. Tempted. I'll ponder and get back to you.

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #66287 on: August 09, 2020, 07:42:57 pm »
Screw that. We’re having hot dogs. Zero effort, similar outcome and not a lot of heat required  :-DD

This Friday, I took Ye Olde Studer Deske out to do some jazz, again. Went really well, considering. As I was leaving after having packed up all my gear and stowed the PA (I only provide most of the microphones, my mixing desk (the Studer) and effects; the rest is locally supplied) the staff came with a bottle of prosecco and a kilo of raw brisket, both leftovers. This is a mutual-benefit pro bono gig, supporting the local dancehall / concert / amusement park, because I feel much better after an evening there. Still, getting their gratitude in bubbly wine and meat felt really nice.

• So, which is why I'm replying with it here, we had home ground hamburgers this evening, made on the grill.
  • I need to de-crust all toggle switches in the desk. They can be temporarily revived with lots of jiggling but are prone to going open again at their own discretion, which is embarrassing.

I'm considering my options here. On one hand, the exact replacement is available; but I'd like, in the light of a full replacement (30 switches DPDT, 20 switches SPDT; I've already bought replacements for the on-off-(on) DPDT ones.) costing a metric fuck-ton, to explore cleaning them. Switches are quite easy to get out, they're panel mounted and have flying leads with terminals that connect to the PCB.

Would an ultrasonic make a difference?

It's nice to see those C&K switches are still available. I designed those into kit in the 70s (after having seen them used on virtually every quality mixing desk in existence at the time). I was recently pondering using an on-off-on switch for something and found myself wondering whether I'd be able to find something decent - now I know the answer.

I'ne no thoughts on how well they'd clean up, I've never owned something with them in for long enough for them to start going off. I however don't envy you if you have to replace the lot, it's bad enough wiring up row upon row for channel after channel in the first place - that I have had to do.
Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #66288 on: August 09, 2020, 07:44:36 pm »
That explains it then as not many gardens in London are big enough to have a gazebo and those that do, usually call it a porch  :)

Hey some of us have two gardens  8)

[Fx: Peter Sellers voice] "So, rich. So, posh."

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster, bd139

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #66289 on: August 09, 2020, 07:45:32 pm »

mnem

Bite me.....both of you.  >:D >:D ;D

Raw? No thanks. We have to roast you first.

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, Specmaster, bd139

Online BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #66290 on: August 09, 2020, 07:52:15 pm »
My mood today:

“Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought. It always defeats order, because it is better organized.”            - Terry Pratchett -

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, Saskia

Offline Neomys Sapiens

• Super Contributor
« Reply #66291 on: August 09, 2020, 07:54:24 pm »
probably should not post this here.

in fact i should hate everything about it.

1.  it is french.

2.  it is opera.

3   it is NOT anything like "foggy mountain breakdown", and has no banjo's at all!

4.  it is french.

will take it down if you philistines enourage me to do so.

but damn.  it made me have to sit down and try to catch my breath.

ps  tried to buy a cd but could only find them across the pond with delivery way over a month out.
I liked Kiri more.

Offline Neomys Sapiens

• Super Contributor
« Reply #66292 on: August 09, 2020, 07:57:38 pm »

*returns from rummaging in the fridge and not finding any sweet Italian sausage, decides to make do with ham scraps, slightly assorted cheeses & garlic dills*   Cooool... 

mnem
8)
What are those plastic covered, brick-like things?

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #66293 on: August 09, 2020, 08:03:10 pm »

One of those examples that demonstrates why you shouldn't trust the press. It's reasonable to believe that first picture is illustrating crowds today or yesterday. It isn't.  That first picture shows Brighton Pier in the background. Which means the kid must be jumping into the water from Hove Pier, which hasn't been open to the public since 1975, hasn't been accessible from the shore since 1991 and was subsequently finally demolished in 2010 after a series of fires and storm damage over the years reduced it to unsalvageable condition.

Offline MathWizard

• Super Contributor
« Reply #66294 on: August 09, 2020, 08:06:10 pm »
So what do hobbyist usually spend the most money on, for a single item....their oscilloscope ? Maybe a spectrum analyzer if they have 1 ?

I should start saving $30/month now, and in 2 years w/ extra money, actually get a good 1GHz scope.

Offline nixiefreqq

• Super Contributor
« Reply #66295 on: August 09, 2020, 08:06:18 pm »
probably should not post this here.

in fact i should hate everything about it.

1.  it is french.

2.  it is opera.

3   it is NOT anything like "foggy mountain breakdown", and has no banjo's at all!

4.  it is french.

will take it down if you philistines enourage me to do so.

but damn.  it made me have to sit down and try to catch my breath.

ps  tried to buy a cd but could only find them across the pond with delivery way over a month out.

OK, now I need to clean my ears out.

So the sit down to catch your breath had nothing to do with the two female singers then no?  ;)

well i did not expect two such young ladies to produce that!  it was a shock.  (italian sopranos are usually mature....and larger)

it appears that med's taste in music is a little different than mine.

free range primate

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #66296 on: August 09, 2020, 08:14:39 pm »
Even if they can't sing a note Italians will always be more desirable.  ;D

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, Specmaster

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #66297 on: August 09, 2020, 08:20:28 pm »

Jeezus H Christ a-hoppin' on a pogo stick... and I thought Intel was turning into a fucking Soap Opera.  :palm:

(You can tune out after the first article at 1:30 or so... Linus isn't pretty enough to carry the Weather Girl thing for very long.)

Now how does this affect Apple and their ARM plans...? I realize they're only licensing the IP... but still.  Can you hear my eyes ::) rolling from all the way over there...?

mnem
That's one bouncy Jeezus...!
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster, bd139

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #66298 on: August 09, 2020, 08:23:46 pm »
Well it’s an iPad with a hinge and a shit keyboard. If it was any more I’d be pissed  :-DD

I’m out of shits to give about semiconductor company politics now  :-DD
« Last Edit: August 09, 2020, 08:28:28 pm by bd139 »

Offline Zucca

• Supporter
  • EE meid in Itali
« Reply #66299 on: August 09, 2020, 08:24:25 pm »
This forum is getting pretty messy:

Can't know what you don't love. St. Augustine
Can't love what you don't know. Zucca

Share me