Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 16758564 times)

Offline 25 CPS

• Frequent Contributor
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #66250 on: August 09, 2020, 05:01:29 pm »
This is something that is likely to be played out many more times yet, sadly I wont be able to take advantage of it as shops like that in my town closed down about 30 years and now we have nothing similar other than cash convertors, which is really a pawn brokers and covers all kind of things from audio through to watches and then they want top price for everything because of the very high business rates over here |O

There are very few electronics repair shops left here too even before COVID-19 hit.  The pandemic has certainly accelerated businesses going under for sure.  We have no shortage of pawn shops either.  Oddly enough, one of them a fairly short drive from work seems to land test equipment pretty regularly but they along with the occasional other pawn shop that gets test equipment in want top dollar, totally divorced from reality prices for it.  I have had some success negotiating prices down on some of the things I've wanted because it doesn't move very quickly given the market for used test equipment is a lot smaller than for TVs and stereo equipment or musical equipment like guitars and keyboards.  According to one of the guys at this one place, guitars and keyboards have been selling incredibly quickly over the last few months due to people stuck at home experiencing pandemic lockdown boredom.

I took a look online out of curiosity just now to see how many stereo and TV repair shops there are left in my city and I found a couple of others although another one packed it in about a month ago with the escalating notices on their Facebook page starting in March with the "in-home service discontinued due to pandemic" -> "shop temporarily closed due to pandemic" -> "We've permanently closed down.  Thank you for many years of business." announcement in July.  You're probably right about the ones that remain for now.  In a few weeks, there'll probably be test equipment scores to be had on Kijiji around here at the expense of small family owned businesses that have folded.

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, Specmaster

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #66251 on: August 09, 2020, 05:02:15 pm »
Screw that. We’re having hot dogs. Zero effort, similar outcome and not a lot of heat required  :-DD
I offered takeaway, offer was rejected instantly, so now I have to the place hat will be almost as hot as the suns surface, welcome to hell  >:D

Mines done now  :-DD

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #66252 on: August 09, 2020, 05:07:07 pm »
Right then, its time to go and get my brain fried even more because, as if 34c is not hot enough, the family have decided that they want a BBQ so muggins here has to go and fire it up and get thoroughly roasted doing the cooking with naked flames FFS  :palm: and in the bleeding sun to boot, no effing shade available in our garden other than under the tree which risks getting pigeon shit on the burgers and bangers  :wtf:

What, no gazebo? I thought that if you were in Essex you had to have a gazebo, part of the county charter or something.  :)
Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, Neomys Sapiens

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #66253 on: August 09, 2020, 05:07:32 pm »
probably should not post this here.

in fact i should hate everything about it.

1.  it is french.

2.  it is opera.

3   it is NOT anything like "foggy mountain breakdown", and has no banjo's at all!

4.  it is french.

will take it down if you philistines enourage me to do so.

but damn.  it made me have to sit down and try to catch my breath.

ps  tried to buy a cd but could only find them across the pond with delivery way over a month out.

OK, now I need to clean my ears out.

An old gray beard with an attitude.

Offline Saskia

• Super Contributor
  • you unlock this door with the key of imagination
« Reply #66254 on: August 09, 2020, 05:08:50 pm »
Hubby did some burgers.not elaborate, but yummy. I did not have the heart to push the Weber grill out into the open. I may still carefully approach the balcony door and fire up the ac.

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster, bd139

Offline Saskia

• Super Contributor

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #66256 on: August 09, 2020, 05:13:01 pm »
Right then, its time to go and get my brain fried even more because, as if 34c is not hot enough, the family have decided that they want a BBQ so muggins here has to go and fire it up and get thoroughly roasted doing the cooking with naked flames FFS  :palm: and in the bleeding sun to boot, no effing shade available in our garden other than under the tree which risks getting pigeon shit on the burgers and bangers  :wtf:

What, no gazebo? I thought that if you were in Essex you had to have a gazebo, part of the county charter or something.  :)

That one made me laugh out loud. I actually lived in Essex for a bit (Stansted) and my neighbour had a gazebo, trampoline and a quad bike.  :-DD

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #66257 on: August 09, 2020, 05:14:24 pm »
To be perfectly fair to mnementh, it was a good price, given the outcome and the low hours on it is true BUT when it comes Jammy Git territory I really believe that many of his "Thrift" purchases are far closer to the Jammy Git award, I personally have never seen prices so low as he gets in our equivalent type of shops, makes me quite jelly at times.  :-+

Yeah, it's true; our thrift stores do get some weird shit in from time to time. However MOST of the time prices on anything not total garbunge are ridiculous. FFS, they actually put baggies & boxes of used halogen light bulbs that have been changed out for LED up on the wall. Not just once in a while, but literally ALL THE FUCKING TIME.

So which is worse; the assholes who put those bulbs back in the box and "donate" their garbage instead of paying to get rid of it, or the assholes who put it out for sale as if it wasn't garbage...? :palm:

There's all sorts of other stuff that comes through like that; bits & pieces of something that used to be of value. If I'm lucky I can put it together (EVERYTHING they sell, if it has a AC adapter it goes up on the wall separately with its own pricetag) but it's usually only when something sneaks by them in parts I can get a deal, like those "N" cables or the PS3.

But sometimes I get totally screwed, like with that BunkBerry PlayBook. :palm: I am so NOT regretting chucking that thing out the window; that satisfaction was ALMOST worth the CAD$20 I paid for it.  :-DD Definitely worth $20 to NEVER be tempted to fuck with it again; considering probable grief saved over the long run, THAT deserves a Jammy.

mnem
So does THAT deserve something like a "Anti-Jammy"? What's the appropriate reward for the WORST WOFTAM of the day...?
« Last Edit: August 09, 2020, 05:16:49 pm by mnementh »
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #66258 on: August 09, 2020, 05:14:48 pm »
fuck the award, just enjoy your scope.

Indeed...   :D Geez, I didn't mean to start a nomination committee row...    :box:
Maybe there should be a runner-up prize.  :-DD There is the typical Canadian knock-off version after all...

^^^ "Peak Freans Fruit Cream Biscuit" or "Biscuit Crème de Fruit" if you're in QC.
Does that mean that the Aussies and Kiwis have to get an ANZAC biscuit? (Which, by the way, are the perfect dunking biscuit.)

I'll just enjoy them vicariously until my next day off. Thanks for trying!  :-DD

Those ANZAC biscuits look like the old-school crunchy granola bars I grew up on. Also a dipping favorite, especially with chocolate milk.  :-+

mnem
 :popcorn:

Recipe in merkin units here: https://www.kingarthurbaking.com/recipes/anzac-biscuits-recipe . They're kind of the down under version of Goil Scount cookies, in that housewives used to bake and sell them during WWII (and may still do) to raise funds for ANZAC troops overseas.

Offline drussell

• Super Contributor
  • Hardcore Geek
« Reply #66259 on: August 09, 2020, 05:15:18 pm »
Does that mean that the Aussies and Kiwis have to get an ANZAC biscuit?

Lol, NO.  You guys are all being far too serious today, it would seem.   :-DD

Good thing there's currently no Grumpy Ol' Git award to pass around.   ;D

It just was a tongue-in-cheek suggestion for a runner-up award to the Jammy Git be a "cream of fruit."     ;)

Seemed fitting to me, but whatever.    :)

I'm gonna go grab a 6-pack of beer and try to enjoy the sunshine while I finish clearing out what was my parents' house.  (Well, us kids lived there too, I suppose, once upon a time, long, long ago...)

The new owners take possession next Monday and I still have stuff in the garage to move!   :scared:

Cheers, folks... 
« Last Edit: August 09, 2020, 05:35:18 pm by drussell »

Offline Saskia

• Super Contributor
« Reply #66260 on: August 09, 2020, 05:20:35 pm »
it appears there is a thunderstorm approaching.

Now if my scope was fried by lightning, the insurance would have to pay the retail price.

Thor, wield Mjölnir and let the sparks hit the earth.

The following users thanked this post: PA0PBZ

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #66261 on: August 09, 2020, 05:22:00 pm »
fuck the award, just enjoy your scope.

Indeed...   :D Geez, I didn't mean to start a nomination committee row...    :box:
Maybe there should be a runner-up prize.  :-DD There is the typical Canadian knock-off version after all...

^^^ "Peak Freans Fruit Cream Biscuit" or "Biscuit Crème de Fruit" if you're in QC.
Does that mean that the Aussies and Kiwis have to get an ANZAC biscuit? (Which, by the way, are the perfect dunking biscuit.)

I'll just enjoy them vicariously until my next day off. Thanks for trying!  :-DD

Those ANZAC biscuits look like the old-school crunchy granola bars I grew up on. Also a dipping favorite, especially with chocolate milk.  :-+

mnem
 :popcorn:

Recipe in merkin units here: https://www.kingarthurbaking.com/recipes/anzac-biscuits-recipe . They're kind of the down under version of Goil Scount cookies, in that housewives used to bake and sell them during WWII (and may still do) to raise funds for ANZAC troops overseas.

Yup. Proper granola; sub honey for the syrup and add lots of raisins and your favorite nuts and bingo; mom's recipe. Just smash it all up with a rolling pin after it gets hard. :-+

mnem
*sigh* All those yummy carbs... *gnaws on knuckle for a minute*
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #66262 on: August 09, 2020, 05:27:44 pm »
it appears there is a thunderstorm approaching. Now if my scope was fried by lightning, the insurance would have to pay the retail price.

mnem

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster, Saskia

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #66263 on: August 09, 2020, 05:31:18 pm »
Screw that. We’re having hot dogs. Zero effort, similar outcome and not a lot of heat required  :-DD
I offered takeaway, offer was rejected instantly, so now I have to the place hat will be almost as hot as the suns surface, welcome to hell  >:D

Now THAT looks like a capital idea!  :-+

mnem
*Goes and rummages in fridge in hopes of some Sweet Italian sausage*

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #66264 on: August 09, 2020, 05:33:00 pm »
Good thing there's currently no Grumpy Ol' Git award to pass around.   ;D

There was, but it's the kind of "win it three times and you get to keep the trophy forever" trophy. I believe it now graces a mantelpiece in Highland, New York.

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #66265 on: August 09, 2020, 05:34:10 pm »

Plain to see that you've been watching way to much TOWIE, its not a bit like the real Essex. I can't believe it but its true, there are even organised tours around Brentwood where TOWIE is filmed,  :wtf:
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #66266 on: August 09, 2020, 05:35:12 pm »
it appears there is a thunderstorm approaching.

Now if my scope was fried by lightning, the insurance would have to pay the retail price.

"This lady claimed lightning damage to her high voltage power supply last time around, and to her expensive oscilloscope this time. How do you feel about this?"

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #66267 on: August 09, 2020, 05:41:10 pm »
probably should not post this here.

in fact i should hate everything about it.

1.  it is french.

2.  it is opera.

3   it is NOT anything like "foggy mountain breakdown", and has no banjo's at all!

4.  it is french.

will take it down if you philistines enourage me to do so.

but damn.  it made me have to sit down and try to catch my breath.

ps  tried to buy a cd but could only find them across the pond with delivery way over a month out.

OK, now I need to clean my ears out.

So the sit down to catch your breath had nothing to do with the two female singers then no?  ;)
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #66268 on: August 09, 2020, 05:46:23 pm »

As it happened, I never had a BBQ, one of my sons saw my message I posted and went and told his Mum, so she did the burgers and sausages in a frying pan, now I'm in the doghouse, at least I'm not in the hothouse   :-DD :-DD :-DD
Who let Murphy in?

The following users thanked this post: bd139

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #66269 on: August 09, 2020, 05:50:08 pm »

Plain to see that you've been watching way to much TOWIE, its not a bit like the real Essex. I can't believe it but its true, there are even organised tours around Brentwood where TOWIE is filmed,  :wtf:

I am proud to be able to say that I have never watched TOWIE, not even five minutes.

Any prejudices I hold towards the inhabitants of Essex, and their habits, are based on having the Essex border a five minute drive away and that it's an easy target.  :)

Offline Saskia

• Super Contributor
« Reply #66270 on: August 09, 2020, 05:51:34 pm »

As it happened, I never had a BBQ, one of my sons saw my message I posted and went and told his Mum, so she did the burgers and sausages in a frying pan, now I'm in the doghouse, at least I'm not in the hothouse   :-DD :-DD :-DD

woof.

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #66271 on: August 09, 2020, 05:53:39 pm »

*returns from rummaging in the fridge and not finding any sweet Italian sausage, decides to make do with ham scraps, slightly assorted cheeses & garlic dills*   Cooool... 

mnem
8)

The following users thanked this post: bd139

Offline Saskia

• Super Contributor
« Reply #66272 on: August 09, 2020, 05:54:34 pm »
hmm.

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #66273 on: August 09, 2020, 05:55:56 pm »

I am proud to be able to say that I have never watched TOWIE, not even five minutes.

Any prejudices I hold towards the inhabitants of Essex, and their habits, are based on having the Essex border a five minute drive away and that it's an easy target.  :)
That explains it then as not many gardens in London are big enough to have a gazebo and those that do, usually call it a porch  :)
Who let Murphy in?

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #66274 on: August 09, 2020, 06:04:31 pm »

FFS eevBlog...  :palm:

The Cascading Pic Buggery Bug strikes again... this time reaching 3 (now 4) pages back to fuckerize my 54645A teardown/repair post. I've fixed the original; but of course the fuckerization will be immortalized in every post that quotes from it. |O

mnem
seriously, eevBlog... SERIOUSLY?!?   
« Last Edit: August 09, 2020, 06:10:40 pm by mnementh »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf