Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 16760354 times)

mnementh and 74 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #66225 on: August 09, 2020, 03:55:51 pm »
Just goes to show I was right to be suspicious of the wrong value fuse fitted. Clearly the moron who last used the low current range wasn't satisfied with blowing the fuse and kept upping the value until the damn meter blew.[/color][/size][/b]

Nasty  :palm:. Nice one on repairing it though  :-+

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #66226 on: August 09, 2020, 03:57:18 pm »
I think you deserve it. Don't know what's up with the UK crowd and why they don't agree. Must be brexit has got them sore assed.  :-DD

Thanks for having my back, med. I knew I could count on ya.  ;D

mnem

It’s Sunday, it’s hot and we’re already miserable fuckers without that shit on us already  :-//
See, the lack of A/C has fried their brains. "Only need it for 2 weeks". Famous last words.  :o ;D

Gee, chilly in here....need to turn it down.  :popcorn: :horse: :-DD

An old gray beard with an attitude.

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, Specmaster, bd139

Online mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #66227 on: August 09, 2020, 03:59:22 pm »
More chores. Rearranging my stuff. Electronic load now integrated.      Fuck, I need a 200 sqm warehouse.

I call that a good start>:D

Just a heads-up guys...
Dave has disabled the plugin that handles automatic inline pic insertion in hopes of killing the cascading pic buggery bug. If you want to insert pics inline, you'll have to use img tags. Please use the height= or width= modifier to limit eye pollution.

EDIT: It didn't work. You'll need to keep using the "Skip the first" workaround, AND now you need to use img tags for inline pics. Carry on!

mnem
 :popcorn:
« Last Edit: August 09, 2020, 04:56:31 pm by mnementh »
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

The following users thanked this post: bd139

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #66228 on: August 09, 2020, 03:59:39 pm »
Just goes to show I was right to be suspicious of the wrong value fuse fitted. Clearly the moron who last used the low current range wasn't satisfied with blowing the fuse and kept upping the value until the damn meter blew.[/color][/size][/b]

Nasty  :palm:. Nice one on repairing it though  :-+

Agreed, good repair!  :-+

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #66229 on: August 09, 2020, 04:00:41 pm »
So the Type 3A6 project on hold today because I need to get back into the bedroom and finish the back wall. Need to move a shit ton of furniture then clean the years of dust and dirt that collected under them. Then the masking off the trim. Tomorrow the actual painting. And of course it will need minimum 2 coats. I don't consider myself anywhere near an expert painter but I have been doing it for many years and I have NEVER come across a paint that covers adequately in one coat. Despite all the claims that "covers in one coat". I use good quality brushes/rollers but somehow one coat has always alluded me.

I want to wait on the 3A6 anyway until those nuvistors show up. Channel 1 drifts like a drunken sailor and the DC balance needs to be constantly reset. Pull the two in Channel 1 and see what happens.

Over the next few days I will try my best to blow my carbon footprint limits to hell.  ;D This week temps +30 C with high humidity until at least Thursday.  :o   
One coat is possible but not with the stuff available in home improvement stores. It's not cheap either and that's probably why it's not commonly available. People are cheap. :P

Offline 25 CPS

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #66230 on: August 09, 2020, 04:03:14 pm »
Most of my workshop’s equipment has been bought locally, ie. within an easy drive at home. Sometimes I feel like I’ve been the unwitting beneficiary of the deindustrialization of Ontario as people have sold off equipment as they’ve shut down their businesses and retired which is unfortunate because their companies cease being going concerns and so on.   What have been great deals for me personally have frequently been symptoms of larger problems in the economy here.

I had a late dinner last night and took a walk after.  I did something unusual and wound my way back home along one of the nearby main streets and saw the lights blazing, literally burning the midnight oil at the local TV/stereo repair shop.  I looked in the window to see what was going on and this is what I saw:

[ Specified attachment is not available ]

There was a sign on the door saying to call for an appointment due to COVID-19 so they were still going into the pandemic but it looks like they weren’t able to outlast it and the pandemic hastened the demise of another local, corner electronics repair shop.

Unless the person running it decided to ditch the storefront and continue by working out of his home, the parts, the tools, the test equipment from another defunct business are going to show up for sale soon.

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster

Offline nixiefreqq

• Super Contributor
« Reply #66231 on: August 09, 2020, 04:04:28 pm »
hey saskia

so whats up with that?   is it just an artifact in the photo?

free range primate

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #66232 on: August 09, 2020, 04:11:00 pm »
Right then, its time to go and get my brain fried even more because, as if 34c is not hot enough, the family have decided that they want a BBQ so muggins here has to go and fire it up and get thoroughly roasted doing the cooking with naked flames FFS  :palm: and in the bleeding sun to boot, no effing shade available in our garden other than under the tree which risks getting pigeon shit on the burgers and bangers  :wtf: 
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #66233 on: August 09, 2020, 04:12:25 pm »
Screw that. We’re having hot dogs. Zero effort, similar outcome and not a lot of heat required  :-DD

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #66234 on: August 09, 2020, 04:12:43 pm »
hey saskia

Screen protector.

The following users thanked this post: nixiefreqq

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #66235 on: August 09, 2020, 04:12:51 pm »
So the Type 3A6 project on hold today because I need to get back into the bedroom and finish the back wall. Need to move a shit ton of furniture then clean the years of dust and dirt that collected under them. Then the masking off the trim. Tomorrow the actual painting. And of course it will need minimum 2 coats. I don't consider myself anywhere near an expert painter but I have been doing it for many years and I have NEVER come across a paint that covers adequately in one coat. Despite all the claims that "covers in one coat". I use good quality brushes/rollers but somehow one coat has always alluded me.

I want to wait on the 3A6 anyway until those nuvistors show up. Channel 1 drifts like a drunken sailor and the DC balance needs to be constantly reset. Pull the two in Channel 1 and see what happens.

Over the next few days I will try my best to blow my carbon footprint limits to hell.  ;D This week temps +30 C with high humidity until at least Thursday.  :o   
One coat is possible but not with the stuff available in home improvement stores. It's not cheap either and that's probably why it's not commonly available. People are cheap. :P

When they did re-arrangements at IBM I saw painters put up one coat over bare wallboard with no primer. And it looked great, from a distance. But if you examined it real close remnants of wallboard were showing through. But it was still much better than one coat I could achieve over prior painted walls.   

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #66236 on: August 09, 2020, 04:15:16 pm »
I think you deserve it. Don't know what's up with the UK crowd and why they don't agree. Must be brexit has got them sore assed.  :-DD

mnem

It’s Sunday, it’s hot and we’re already miserable fuckers without that shit on us already  :-//
See, the lack of A/C has fried their brains. "Only need it for 2 weeks". Famous last words.  :o ;D

Gee, chilly in here....need to turn it down.  :popcorn: :horse: :-DD

Victorious we shall be without life support machinery.

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, Specmaster

Online mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #66237 on: August 09, 2020, 04:15:23 pm »

mnem

Don't get used to it.  :P :P :P :P :-DD :-DD

I know... I know... I remember what you said... "If I'm ON FIRE and need you to pee on me and put me out... then MAYBE..."

mnem
« Last Edit: August 09, 2020, 04:22:48 pm by mnementh »
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #66238 on: August 09, 2020, 04:18:57 pm »
Most of my workshop’s equipment has been bought locally, ie. within an easy drive at home. Sometimes I feel like I’ve been the unwitting beneficiary of the deindustrialization of Ontario as people have sold off equipment as they’ve shut down their businesses and retired which is unfortunate because their companies cease being going concerns and so on.   What have been great deals for me personally have frequently been symptoms of larger problems in the economy here.

I had a late dinner last night and took a walk after.  I did something unusual and wound my way back home along one of the nearby main streets and saw the lights blazing, literally burning the midnight oil at the local TV/stereo repair shop.  I looked in the window to see what was going on and this is what I saw:

(Attachment Link)

There was a sign on the door saying to call for an appointment due to COVID-19 so they were still going into the pandemic but it looks like they weren’t able to outlast it and the pandemic hastened the demise of another local, corner electronics repair shop.

Unless the person running it decided to ditch the storefront and continue by working out of his home, the parts, the tools, the test equipment from another defunct business are going to show up for sale soon.
This is something that is likely to be played out many more times yet, sadly I wont be able to take advantage of it as shops like that in my town closed down about 30 years and now we have nothing similar other than cash convertors, which is really a pawn brokers and covers all kind of things from audio through to watches and then they want top price for everything because of the very high business rates over here |O
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Online mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #66239 on: August 09, 2020, 04:20:40 pm »

mnem

I know... I know... I remember what you said... "If I'm ON FIRE and need you to pee on me and put me out... then MAYBE..."

mnem

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #66240 on: August 09, 2020, 04:22:15 pm »
fuck the award, just enjoy your scope.

Indeed...   :D
Geez, I didn't mean to start a nomination committee row...    :box:

Maybe there should be a runner-up prize.  :-DD
There is the typical Canadian knock-off version after all...

^^^ "Peak Freans Fruit Cream Biscuit" or "Biscuit Crème de Fruit" if you're in QC.

Does that mean that the Aussies and Kiwis have to get an ANZAC biscuit? (Which, by the way, are the perfect dunking biscuit.)

Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #66241 on: August 09, 2020, 04:22:24 pm »
When they did re-arrangements at IBM I saw painters put up one coat over bare wallboard with no primer. And it looked great, from a distance. But if you examined it real close remnants of wallboard were showing through. But it was still much better than one coat I could achieve over prior painted walls.
Good paint will look nice and flat when the light is hitting it at an angle too. Cheaper paint tends to be streaky and that includes the fancy one coat paints from the usual suspects. Though wallboard showing through is less of an issue in countries where they don't build houses out of cardboard. ;D

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #66242 on: August 09, 2020, 04:24:32 pm »
Screw that. We’re having hot dogs. Zero effort, similar outcome and not a lot of heat required  :-DD
I offered takeaway, offer was rejected instantly, so now I have to the place hat will be almost as hot as the suns surface, welcome to hell  >:D
Who let Murphy in?

Offline nixiefreqq

• Super Contributor
« Reply #66243 on: August 09, 2020, 04:40:10 pm »
probably should not post this here.

in fact i should hate everything about it.

1.  it is french.

2.  it is opera.

3   it is NOT anything like "foggy mountain breakdown", and has no banjo's at all!

4.  it is french.

will take it down if you philistines enourage me to do so.

but damn.  it made me have to sit down and try to catch my breath.

ps  tried to buy a cd but could only find them across the pond with delivery way over a month out.

free range primate

Online mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #66244 on: August 09, 2020, 04:40:36 pm »

mnem

mnem

Y'all may have noticed I reposted this; it was due to testing Dave's fix for the ongoing "cascading pic buggery bug". I duplicated this post so I could leave the original buggered posts untouched.

Dave's fix didn't work. you'll need to keep using the "Skip the first" workaround, AND now you need to use img tags for inline pics. Carry on!

mnem
 |O

Offline Saskia

• Super Contributor
  • you unlock this door with the key of imagination
« Reply #66245 on: August 09, 2020, 04:49:19 pm »
More chores. Rearranging my stuff.
Electronic load now integrated.

Fuck, I need a 200 sqm warehouse.

(Attachment Link)

What METTLER is that?

AT 400

Official present I got from our pathology lab when I left for the other site. It seems that they liked me.
Pity I could not take the centrifuge (180000 rpm ...)

Offline Saskia

• Super Contributor
« Reply #66246 on: August 09, 2020, 04:51:23 pm »
hey saskia

That's a Korad 3305 programmable power supply with the protective film still on the display. I don't see any need to remove it ...

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, nixiefreqq

Online mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #66247 on: August 09, 2020, 04:53:00 pm »
fuck the award, just enjoy your scope.

Indeed...   :D Geez, I didn't mean to start a nomination committee row...    :box:
Maybe there should be a runner-up prize.  :-DD There is the typical Canadian knock-off version after all...

^^^ "Peak Freans Fruit Cream Biscuit" or "Biscuit Crème de Fruit" if you're in QC.
Does that mean that the Aussies and Kiwis have to get an ANZAC biscuit? (Which, by the way, are the perfect dunking biscuit.)

I'll just enjoy them vicariously until my next day off. Thanks for trying!  :-DD

Those ANZAC biscuits look like the old-school crunchy granola bars I grew up on. Also a dipping favorite, especially with chocolate milk.  :-+

mnem
 :popcorn:

Offline Saskia

• Super Contributor
« Reply #66248 on: August 09, 2020, 04:56:07 pm »
completely forgot all about that audio test generator that Tony sent me. The box just resurfaced.
That's what happens, when you got too much stuff on yer mind.

Will put it to use repairing one of my preamps. 1 channel is dead. Bloody hell.

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, tonyalbus

Offline Saskia

• Super Contributor
« Reply #66249 on: August 09, 2020, 05:00:45 pm »
and in luck. found the service manual for that 1979 preamp.

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf