Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 16764739 times)

Vince, wkb, Robert763, djadeski, Peter_O and 60 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline AVGresponding

• Super Contributor
  • Exploring Rabbit Holes Since The 1970s
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #66075 on: August 08, 2020, 10:14:48 am »
Trouble really is not so much the heat as the high humidity that comes with it over here, after a while the fans become ineffective really as the air is already laden with moisture so the fans cease to dry your sweat up. With A/C, it just seems to wick away much more moisture, but like BD said it is so expensive over here to install it for just maybe 2 weeks a year when it would be used. 

I have thought about sitting and also sleeping in the car before but I'm pretty sure that neighbours would object to having a diesel engine running all night long  :horse:

Edit:
Plus of course, as one gets older, one cannot handle the heat as well as we used to when we were teens, most of us oldies are carrying too much extra weight, I know I am and nothing seems to shift it either  :palm:

You could always make one out of an old fridge.

I made one, it's a bit lashed together, Heath Robinson would be proud, but it's effective, given it only has to deal with a small room.

Bonus is, I can just swap the flexi-ducts over in winter, and have a mild heat source.

EDIT: Just realised this is my 13th post...   ^-^
« Last Edit: August 08, 2020, 10:18:31 am by AVGresponding »
nuqDaq yuch Dapol?
Addiction count: Agilent-AVO-BlackStar-Brymen-Chauvin Arnoux-Fluke-GenRad-Hameg-HP-Keithley-IsoTech-Mastech-Megger-Metrix-Micronta-Racal-RFL-Siglent-Solartron-Tektronix-Thurlby-Time Electronics-TTi-UniT

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #66076 on: August 08, 2020, 10:16:08 am »
Fuck it. Going for a long walk. It’s either I’m hot or insane and I choose hot.

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #66077 on: August 08, 2020, 10:17:46 am »
Calibration, another ADANTAGE of some high resolution meters. My Solartron 7071 7.5 / 8.5 digit  :-DMM (same as 7081 except for Vref "processing") is offically "calibrated for life" at 3 times the 1 year accuracy. That's 60ppm (no counts as they re insignificant)  or 0.006% on DCV. The HP 34401A / 34461A 6.5 digit is 35 PPM after a year.
So I have a DMM that is signifcantly better than any 5.5 digit (good as many 6.5) meters that NEVER needs calibration to officially meet that specification. ;D As a bonus it has 8.5 digit resolution for comparatve measurements.

I don't think 0.006% basic DCV accuracy is "significantly better" than the 0.005% basic DCV accuracy of my 5.5 digit Fluke 8840A. Which doesn't drift. They just don't. At least, not so's you'd notice.

The problem with 8.5 digits as regards practical measuring is more to do with noise introduced to the signal by the setup. It's not really an issue with 5.5 or 6.5 digits, unless your lab is inside an smps anyway, but it starts to become so for 7.5, and is a major problem at 8.5 digits.

I also doubt whether a figure of 0.006% would satisfy any serious metrologist. That lot get grumpy at lack of precision at orders of magnitude better than that!

Lastly, for traceablilty purposes, if I was doing something that required an 8.5 digit meter, I'd want it calibrated every year. Luckily I don't, so I can save my pennies for buying more crusty TE.   :-DD

Surely you mean 0.005% is not significantly better than 0.006%  basic DCV accuracy?
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline AVGresponding

• Super Contributor
« Reply #66078 on: August 08, 2020, 10:25:44 am »
Calibration, another ADANTAGE of some high resolution meters. My Solartron 7071 7.5 / 8.5 digit  :-DMM (same as 7081 except for Vref "processing") is offically "calibrated for life" at 3 times the 1 year accuracy. That's 60ppm (no counts as they re insignificant)  or 0.006% on DCV. The HP 34401A / 34461A 6.5 digit is 35 PPM after a year.
So I have a DMM that is signifcantly better than any 5.5 digit (good as many 6.5) meters that NEVER needs calibration to officially meet that specification. ;D As a bonus it has 8.5 digit resolution for comparatve measurements.

I don't think 0.006% basic DCV accuracy is "significantly better" than the 0.005% basic DCV accuracy of my 5.5 digit Fluke 8840A. Which doesn't drift. They just don't. At least, not so's you'd notice.

The problem with 8.5 digits as regards practical measuring is more to do with noise introduced to the signal by the setup. It's not really an issue with 5.5 or 6.5 digits, unless your lab is inside an smps anyway, but it starts to become so for 7.5, and is a major problem at 8.5 digits.

I also doubt whether a figure of 0.006% would satisfy any serious metrologist. That lot get grumpy at lack of precision at orders of magnitude better than that!

Lastly, for traceablilty purposes, if I was doing something that required an 8.5 digit meter, I'd want it calibrated every year. Luckily I don't, so I can save my pennies for buying more crusty TE.   :-DD

Surely you mean 0.005% is not significantly better than 0.006%  basic DCV accuracy?

Dammit, now my post count isn't 13 in binary any more!   :rant:

No. Robert was claiming his meter's 0.006% basic DCV accuracy was "significantly better than any 5.5 digit meter". My 8840 is 5.5 digit, and has 0.005% accuracy.
I was saying that 0.006% accuracy isn't significantly better than 0.005%. I didn't bother to point out it's actually worse, didn't think I had to.   :horse:
nuqDaq yuch Dapol?
Addiction count: Agilent-AVO-BlackStar-Brymen-Chauvin Arnoux-Fluke-GenRad-Hameg-HP-Keithley-IsoTech-Mastech-Megger-Metrix-Micronta-Racal-RFL-Siglent-Solartron-Tektronix-Thurlby-Time Electronics-TTi-UniT

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #66079 on: August 08, 2020, 10:30:32 am »
Trouble really is not so much the heat as the high humidity that comes with it over here, after a while the fans become ineffective really as the air is already laden with moisture so the fans cease to dry your sweat up. With A/C, it just seems to wick away much more moisture, but like BD said it is so expensive over here to install it for just maybe 2 weeks a year when it would be used. 

Plus of course, as one gets older, one cannot handle the heat as well as we used to when we were teens, most of us oldies are carrying too much extra weight, I know I am and nothing seems to shift it either

I think you ought to be careful about UK vs New York humidity. The average NY August humidity is 75% :)

Us oldies have too much blubber in the summer, and too little in the winter.
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

Offline nixiefreqq

• Super Contributor
« Reply #66080 on: August 08, 2020, 10:32:12 am »

free range primate

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, AVGresponding

Offline mansaxel

• Super Contributor
  • SA0XLR
    • My very static home page
« Reply #66081 on: August 08, 2020, 10:36:07 am »
Completely agree. My air con in the car has a leak so there’s no escape like that for me  >:(. Best option is probably creeping off up the road and sleeping out in the open.

Just got a red reminder letter from RSGB dressed up like it was some overdue tax bill ffs. Bunch of clowns. Shredded!

Edit: might try sleeping out tonight. Have a nice new tent to play with  :-DD

Ahhh, tent sleeping in summer. It's raw, cold, humid and stale air when you go to bed, and when you awake, you're floating from sweat in the sleeping bag, the air (or rather the 90/10 nitrogen/oxygen mix saturated with humidity that replaced it, with a few 100 ppm of flatulence added for the human touch) requires chainsaws to penetrate, and the temperature is 42°C. If I can help it, I'll never sleep another night in a tent. I've got a hammock with integrated tarp and bug net. It is shaded, airy, off the ground and very comfortable.

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #66082 on: August 08, 2020, 10:39:01 am »
Depends what tent, where you stick it, when you get in it and when you get out of it :)

Success is: light weight, under shade with a breeze across it, sunset, sunrise. And leave it open if it’s hot.

Just bought an MSR elixir 1 for autumn and winter usage. It’ll be fine for now as well

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #66083 on: August 08, 2020, 10:44:54 am »
Meh.....just flip the switch and turn on the A/C. Screw sleeping in a tent.  :-DD
An old gray beard with an attitude.

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, bd139

Online Robert763

• Super Contributor
« Reply #66084 on: August 08, 2020, 10:53:26 am »

Well for starters the 8840A 1 year accuracy is only 0.005% on the 2 V DC range worst DC is 0.008% +4 count. And you need it calibrated annually for that.
Yes if you want the full accuracy of the 7071 it needs calibration  but my point was that to use it to 60PPM (typical of a good 5.5 or average 6.5 digit meter accuracy) NO regular calibration is required to maintain traceabilty to national standards. I also paid a lot less for my 7071 than the average ebay selling price of a 8840A 34401A. Your 3340A is good to 60PPM on 20V range for a year after cal my 7071 is good for life.
Comments about noise etc are spurious they affect both meters the same (well 707i better for themal EMF as I have the proper isthermal Ficher connectors). I can easily set set the 7071 to display just 6.5 or 5.5 digits.

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #66085 on: August 08, 2020, 10:57:55 am »
Walk cancelled. Surprisingly my 5316A is out for delivery today. Fingers crossed

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster, tonyalbus

Online Robert763

• Super Contributor
« Reply #66086 on: August 08, 2020, 10:59:52 am »

Dammit, now my post count isn't 13 in binary any more!   :rant:

No. Robert was claiming his meter's 0.006% basic DCV accuracy was "significantly better than any 5.5 digit meter". My 8840 is 5.5 digit, and has 0.005% accuracy.
I was saying that 0.006% accuracy isn't significantly better than 0.005%. I didn't bother to point out it's actually worse, didn't think I had to.   :horse:

But the 8840A IS NOT 0.005% on all ranges, just the 2V DC. 200mV is 0.008% and 1000V 0.007% with annual calibration. (7071 is 0.006 on all ranges for LIFE. Better up to 10 years)

Offline capt bullshot

• Super Contributor
    • Mostly useless stuff, but nice to have: wunderkis.de
« Reply #66087 on: August 08, 2020, 11:03:20 am »
A switch:

And what's on the other side:

Safety devices hinder evolution

The following users thanked this post: BU508A, med6753, mnementh, Specmaster

Offline AVGresponding

• Super Contributor
« Reply #66088 on: August 08, 2020, 11:07:18 am »
I see no need to get my 8840 recalibrated. I had it done once, when I  bought it, a sensible precaution to my mind. As I said, these guys just don't drift (unless you abuse them).

If you got a 7071 for the price I paid for my 8840, that's serious jammy git territory. I've never seen one for less than 3 times that, or I'd already have one! Those blue dot matrix vfd's are lovely...  :-DD

I don't see how comments about noise can be spurious; there's more to noise free measurement than just using good leads. I'd argue saying that you can switch down to 6.5 or 5.5 digits is a better candidate for that category, as the point I was making is that achieving worthwhile 8.5 digit measurements requires a great deal of care and attention to detail in your setup.
nuqDaq yuch Dapol?

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster

Offline AVGresponding

• Super Contributor
« Reply #66089 on: August 08, 2020, 11:10:18 am »
A switch:

And what's on the other side:

Holy hand-wound resistors Batman!
nuqDaq yuch Dapol?

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, bd139

Offline FransW

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #66090 on: August 08, 2020, 11:16:44 am »
Metrology, accuracy & precision:

When you need it, use it.
If you do not need it, do not bother.
That is utterly useless.

Compare these wishes with counter requirements:
the shortest imaginable time step is the Planck Time.
With the current understanding it will take around 300
years to get within range of this resolution-accuracy-precision.

At least with the speed of NIST-BIPM improvements which is around 1 decade every 10 years.

Nice climate control if I get the current situation.

Frans
PE1CCN, Systems Engineering, HP, Philips, TEK, BRYMAN, Fluke, Keithley

Online Robert763

• Super Contributor
« Reply #66091 on: August 08, 2020, 11:30:24 am »
I see no need to get my 8840 recalibrated. I had it done once, when I  bought it, a sensible precaution to my mind. As I said, these guys just don't drift (unless you abuse them).

If you got a 7071 for the price I paid for my 8840, that's serious jammy git territory. I've never seen one for less than 3 times that, or I'd already have one! Those blue dot matrix vfd's are lovely...  :-DD

I don't see how comments about noise can be spurious; there's more to noise free measurement than just using good leads. I'd argue saying that you can switch down to 6.5 or 5.5 digits is a better candidate for that category, as the point I was making is that achieving worthwhile 8.5 digit measurements requires a great deal of care and attention to detail in your setup.

Maybe I didn't make my point clear. While I'm not saying your Fluke 8840 will suddenly become inaccurate 366 days after calibration, clearly it won't, BUT Fluke say it cannot provide traceable measurements to 0.006% (20V range) more than a year after calibration. Conversely Solartron specfically say the 7071 CAN provide traceable measurements to 0.006% for life. I have a 5.5 digit meter that is traceable forever  ;D
I've actually used one in a controlled workshop environment (aerospace) based on this. The Das Veritas auditor complained but after refering it to their metrology SME conceeded it was OK.
I Paid £135 inc shipping for my 7071 and less than £50 each for my 7075s. That included two leads  :-+
« Last Edit: August 08, 2020, 11:33:24 am by Robert763 »

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #66092 on: August 08, 2020, 11:33:04 am »
Yeah same. No discord for me. Actually no today for me. I’m going back to bed  :-DD

I'm not sure if I can make it to discord tonight. Got an invitation from a good friend of mine.
He needs some support from my cakes for his guests.  :-DD
“Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought. It always defeats order, because it is better organized.”            - Terry Pratchett -

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #66093 on: August 08, 2020, 11:41:35 am »
Walk cancelled. Surprisingly my 5316A is out for delivery today. Fingers crossed

So now all we have to do is work out a test that can distinguish whether or not you have gone mad. I like a challenge :)
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

The following users thanked this post: Mr. Scram

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #66094 on: August 08, 2020, 11:44:36 am »
So now all we have to do is work out a test that can distinguish whether or not you have gone mad. I like a challenge :)
Hmmm....
Walk cancelled. Surprisingly my 5316A is out for delivery today.
That's a good sign  :-+

Fingers crossed
.... then again.

Offline FransW

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #66095 on: August 08, 2020, 11:48:42 am »
Robert,

Audits normally do not bother about the need of your equipment.
They check whether the equipment is used correctly or not and
whether international norms and standards are correctly followed
or not.
Not why. That you have to justify yourself.

Frans
PE1CCN, Systems Engineering, HP, Philips, TEK, BRYMAN, Fluke, Keithley

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #66096 on: August 08, 2020, 11:53:04 am »

No test needed. I am clinically insane.

5316A arrived. Eating lunch first before I open the box.

Place your bets: It’s ex MoD and has channel C. Hopefully it has a TCXO or OCXO in it. MoD used to buy them with them in when they needed 1GHz.

Edit: fairly clean. Basic oscillator  :(. Gives me an excuse to build an OCXO for it :)
« Last Edit: August 08, 2020, 12:08:38 pm by bd139 »

Offline nixiefreqq

• Super Contributor
« Reply #66097 on: August 08, 2020, 12:09:23 pm »

No test needed. I am clinically insane.

5316A arrived. Eating lunch first before I open the box.

Place your bets: It’s ex MoD and has channel C. Hopefully it has a TCXO or OCXO in it. MoD used to buy them with them in when they needed 1GHz.

fingers are crossed for an ocxo.   

used to find one in beat up hamfest 5328's 4 out of 5 times.

edit    bummer.
free range primate

Offline VK5RC

• Supporter
« Reply #66098 on: August 08, 2020, 12:16:30 pm »
Snip.......

'No test needed. I am clinically insane.'

That proves that you are sane - catch 22!
Whoah! Watch where that landed we might need it later.

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #66099 on: August 08, 2020, 12:22:30 pm »

Plus of course, as one gets older, one cannot handle the heat as well as we used to when we were teens, most of us oldies are carrying too much extra weight, I know I am and nothing seems to shift it either

I think you ought to be careful about UK vs New York humidity. The average NY August humidity is 75% :)

Us oldies have too much blubber in the summer, and too little in the winter.
That is so true about the blubber. Is the NY humidity so high because of all the water around it then? What I do know is that at least in Med's case, he says F**k the electric bill, run the A/C and I'd be very much in agreement with that notion myself  :-DD :-DD
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf