Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 16782935 times)

tggzzz, Kosmic, 6h8c, factory and 73 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #64925 on: July 30, 2020, 02:12:59 pm »

mnem
I think I may have said this recently but... KILL IT. KILL IT WITH FIRE!!! 

Just the response we come to expect from a fire breathing dwagon  :-DD :-DD :-DD

Saskia has her ceefour; I'm more... primal.  >:D

mnem
EVERYTHING is flammable, given enough heat.
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #64926 on: July 30, 2020, 02:18:21 pm »

You mean: everything can become a plasma, if it's hot enough?

Well, except for med. He'll become grumpy when he's hot.   :-DD
“Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought. It always defeats order, because it is better organized.”            - Terry Pratchett -

The following users thanked this post: med6753, mnementh, Specmaster, capt bullshot

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #64927 on: July 30, 2020, 02:31:11 pm »
They’re not “great” encoders. Better than the Rigol ones. Let us know how it goes later when you get home.

I'd expect them to be functional though.
These are sending the scales in random directions and magnitudes.

Are they mechanical or optical?

I have seen an article on this problem in the past but cannot remember where it was. IIRC the cure was to carefully drill a very small hole in the encoder housing and only allowing the drill to just break though and no more, sucking the swarf away as you dill slowly to keep it from entering inside and the dowsing the inside with contact cleaner and operating the control a few times, after which it worked perfectly. Do a Google search and you might be lucky and find the article.

You mean this one?
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/repair/the-old-crazy-tektronix-td-210-rotary-encoder-problem-solution/

Found this one as well:
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/projects/rotary-encoders-for-tds210/

I too have my TDS2014's encoders fixed with CRC contact cleaner (a no residue solvent). Instead of drilling a whole on the encoder body, I noticed that there is a tiny gap between encoder casing and PCB. Spraying directly to the gap with the supplied red nozzle/tubing drove the cleaning solvent into the internal contacts quite effectively. Be sure to clean the PCB before spraying so that dust won't get into the contacts along with the solvent.

This is my usual FIRST attempt before trying to dismantle such things; the nozzle tube is critical. I'll often use a thin sewing needle applied right at the junction (use hemostats gripped right at the end to get the angle as acute as possible) equidistant between fasteners to wedge the cap up and "get a little more gap" so the cleaner can actually get in there. After that, a afternoon on a towel on the dash of a car to make sure it's all dry. :-+

mnem
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #64928 on: July 30, 2020, 02:34:48 pm »

You mean: everything can become a plasma, if it's hot enough? Well, except for med. He'll become grumpy when he's hot.   :-DD

Can't get much more primal than that.  >:D

mnem
*passes med a nice hot cup of plasma to dip his doughnut in*

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #64929 on: July 30, 2020, 02:40:24 pm »
I guess, 50 g of ceefour would make that thing pretty unhackable.

I can nuke/pave the HDDs from a LIVE CD (If I can be arsed for the sake of 240GB of spinning rust...  ::)); but it WOULD have been nice to find out this was a little box of leprosy BEFORE I contaminated them.  |O

mnem
*toddles off to tape a duck*
« Last Edit: July 30, 2020, 02:42:26 pm by mnementh »

Offline TERRA Operative

• Super Contributor
  • Voider of warranties
    • Near Far Media Youtube
« Reply #64930 on: July 30, 2020, 02:53:15 pm »
My 6035A arrived today, first power test didn't go pop, and open circuit voltage looks suitably dangerous. :D

Fan is too loud as usual, maybe I'll look at it if I can be bothered. I think this one just needs some Rifa exorcism and it can be called good (pending load tests) and then I'll take a look at building a front panel terminal jig with shrouded jacks.
Where does all this test equipment keep coming from?!?

https://www.youtube.com/NearFarMedia/

The following users thanked this post: edavid, BU508A, med6753, mnementh, wolfy007, bd139, Kosmic, duckduck, tonyalbus

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #64931 on: July 30, 2020, 02:56:00 pm »
Ooh a deathinator!

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, TERRA Operative

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #64932 on: July 30, 2020, 02:59:29 pm »

STILL has not shipped yet. Think maybe he's making me suck spite for faffing about asking for a repeat customer discount.  :-\

mnem

http://amultiverse.com/comic/2010/06/28/ghostco/
« Last Edit: July 30, 2020, 03:01:07 pm by mnementh »

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #64933 on: July 30, 2020, 03:12:03 pm »
When I did a teardown of the 5248L last week I forgot to also teardown the 5253B Frequency Convertor that came with it. Here it is...

An old gray beard with an attitude.

The following users thanked this post: BU508A, mnementh, Specmaster, wolfy007, bd139, TERRA Operative, Kosmic, duckduck, tonyalbus

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #64934 on: July 30, 2020, 03:14:15 pm »
Is that where the death rays come out...?

mnem
 >:D

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #64935 on: July 30, 2020, 03:15:20 pm »

mnem

Yep, and pointed towards Toronto.  :P :-DD
An old gray beard with an attitude.

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, Specmaster

Offline Zucca

• Supporter
  • EE meid in Itali
« Reply #64936 on: July 30, 2020, 03:28:51 pm »
Using git for a small project at work...

1) read the git manual: check done.
2) remote bitbucket repository: check done.
3) forked my first branch: check done.
4) completely lost where I am and how I can go back where I was: check done.

Is pain in the ass a motivation to learn something?
« Last Edit: July 30, 2020, 03:30:24 pm by Zucca »
Can't know what you don't love. St. Augustine
Can't love what you don't know. Zucca

The following users thanked this post: tonyalbus

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #64937 on: July 30, 2020, 03:33:08 pm »
Yes. Usually motivation to move somewhere else.  :-DD

mnem
I prepared Explosive Runes this morning.

The following users thanked this post: Zucca

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #64938 on: July 30, 2020, 03:36:14 pm »

mnem

As long as it's only pointed at the FrenchCanadians...

mnem
« Last Edit: July 30, 2020, 03:38:00 pm by mnementh »

Offline TERRA Operative

• Super Contributor
  • Voider of warranties
    • Near Far Media Youtube
« Reply #64939 on: July 30, 2020, 04:12:32 pm »
Ooh a deathinator!

For when only the crispiest deathinating will do! :D  :-BROKE

When I did a teardown of the 5248L last week I forgot to also teardown the 5253B Frequency Convertor that came with it. Here it is...

(images)

Mmmm, I do like me some old HP, old RF gear always looks like it's from some mad scientists lab.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2020, 04:15:05 pm by TERRA Operative »
Where does all this test equipment keep coming from?!?

https://www.youtube.com/NearFarMedia/

The following users thanked this post: bd139

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #64940 on: July 30, 2020, 04:19:54 pm »
It is.  :-DD

mnem
ALL of it.

The following users thanked this post: TERRA Operative

Offline AVGresponding

• Super Contributor
  • Exploring Rabbit Holes Since The 1970s
« Reply #64941 on: July 30, 2020, 04:36:47 pm »
Yeah I figured they were probably mechanical, given the fault symptoms.

No drills, needles, or ceefour required to fix it, just worked the controls a bit when I got home, they've settled down some.

Needs a good clean, the previous owner seems to have been a smoker, it's got that lovely nicotine and tar patination and tackiness to the touch.

Stopped at Argos on my way home to pick up a couple of new toys tools; a graphics tablet, and a FUCKING REFILLABLE TANK printer.

Sorry, just had to blow off some steam on that one... yes yes, I know you can hack the cartridges and refill them with syringes, but seriously, too much mucking about, and then you have to waste more ink printing alignment pages etc etc and yeah no ty.

The graphics tablet should enable me to engage with some other projects I've been mulling over for some time.
nuqDaq yuch Dapol?
Addiction count: Agilent-AVO-BlackStar-Brymen-Chauvin Arnoux-Fluke-GenRad-Hameg-HP-Keithley-IsoTech-Mastech-Megger-Metrix-Micronta-Racal-RFL-Siglent-Solartron-Tektronix-Thurlby-Time Electronics-TTi-UniT

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #64942 on: July 30, 2020, 04:40:35 pm »
Oh nice. Nothing I hate more than cleaning nicotine off things   :(

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #64943 on: July 30, 2020, 04:54:40 pm »

No drills, needles, or ceefour required to fix it, just worked the controls a bit when I got home, they've settled down some.

Needs a good clean, the previous owner seems to have been a smoker, it's got that lovely nicotine and tar patination and tackiness to the touch.

Stopped at Argos on my way home to pick up a couple of new toys tools; a graphics tablet, and a FUCKING REFILLABLE TANK printer.

Sorry, just had to blow off some steam on that one... yes yes, I know you can hack the cartridges and refill them with syringes, but seriously, too much mucking about, and then you have to waste more ink printing alignment pages etc etc and yeah no ty.

The graphics tablet should enable me to engage with some other projects I've been mulling over for some time.

That's why I've bought earlier this year a colour laser printer from Brother. No messing around with clogged nozzles, dried ink, dirty corners in the printer etc.
I hate these ink pissing machines.
“Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought. It always defeats order, because it is better organized.”            - Terry Pratchett -

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #64944 on: July 30, 2020, 04:56:53 pm »
Oh nice. Nothing I hate more than cleaning nicotine off things   :(

+1
Cleaning dirty old TV sets covered in a nice patina of smoke, nicotine and dust ... *blerk*
I hated it.

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #64945 on: July 30, 2020, 04:58:23 pm »

That's why I've bought earlier this year a colour laser printer from Brother. No messing around with clogged nozzles, dried ink, dirty corners in the printer etc.

Waiting for my HP squid to give up or me to take all my pent up anger on it and will be doing exactly the same.  Bastard thing is nothing but trouble.

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #64946 on: July 30, 2020, 05:01:40 pm »

Waiting for my HP squid to give up or me to take all my pent up anger on it and will be doing exactly the same.  Bastard thing is nothing but trouble.

Forget it. It will not give in just for one simple reason: annoying you.  :-DD

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #64947 on: July 30, 2020, 05:03:35 pm »
Every time it causes me problems it gets a literal kicking. Eventually it will receive a fatal blow.  8)

Offline 25 CPS

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #64948 on: July 30, 2020, 05:13:51 pm »

mnem

Excellent.

Give me about 10 minutes to drive down to the beach and park and get a folding chair out of the back of the truck so I can get comfortable and watch, then push the big red button to fire the thing.

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #64949 on: July 30, 2020, 05:42:56 pm »
Looks like phase modulation.

And there was me thinking that it looks like mountains or boobies.
Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, tonyalbus

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf