Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 16922147 times)

Offline Zucca

• Supporter
  • EE meid in Itali
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #64750 on: July 29, 2020, 09:00:56 am »
basically printed the label and left it at that

:( they usually get 3-4 packages ready and THEN go to post. In my experience ebay sellers use to do that, a private usually runs to post because he is exicted/happy for the money he got.
Unfair that ebay can not catch that, they need to learn Python and start to make cross checks with the tracking numbers: printed_label <> shipped.
Can't know what you don't love. St. Augustine
Can't love what you don't know. Zucca

The following users thanked this post: bd139

Offline AVGresponding

• Super Contributor
  • Exploring Rabbit Holes Since The 1970s
« Reply #64751 on: July 29, 2020, 09:34:48 am »
That looks quite neat that. Got to say that Logitech actually have their shit together with input devices. I’ve gone back to my Logitech G203 mouse because the Apple one was possibly the worst mouse the human race could muster.

I see you've never used an Amiga mouse...
nuqDaq yuch Dapol?
Addiction count: Agilent-AVO-BlackStar-Brymen-Chauvin Arnoux-Fluke-GenRad-Hameg-HP-Keithley-IsoTech-Mastech-Megger-Metrix-Micronta-Racal-RFL-Siglent-Solartron-Tektronix-Thurlby-Time Electronics-TTi-UniT

Offline tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #64752 on: July 29, 2020, 09:37:19 am »
Ah that. I've got one scheduled for tomorrow at 09:30. I am going in with European Banking Authority and ISO 27001 compliance checklists and an attitude inherited from Deadpool. I'm as happy as a pig in shit about that :-DD

Edit: am however not happy about my TG320 which was supposed to be dispatched but they basically printed the label and left it at that. No sign of it actually being thrown at a brown-clad delivery troll.

Worst case: they haven't managed to source the TG320 yet, and you have to wait until after the delivery deadline has expired.

I've had that, they asked for extra time, and later asked me if I still wanted it.
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, Specmaster, bd139

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #64753 on: July 29, 2020, 09:42:40 am »
That looks quite neat that. Got to say that Logitech actually have their shit together with input devices. I’ve gone back to my Logitech G203 mouse because the Apple one was possibly the worst mouse the human race could muster.

I have. I owned an A500 with the awful beige thing. The Apple one is worse. It doesn’t slide, is really heavy, is too low profile to get hold of, has no physical buttons and the entire surface is a touch pad which means every time you click something it scrolls away before you’ve whacked it.

It’s second only to the 1997 issue Apple “puck mouse” which was functional but made your arm feel like you’d been arm wrestling King Kong all day.

Oh and the intermediate one where they replaced the wheel with a trackball only an ant could operate that had to be cleaned every 8 minutes and made a sound like scratching a blackboard with finger nails.

Apple have never got mice right. Proof that over innovating is retarded.

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #64754 on: July 29, 2020, 09:44:23 am »
Ah that. I've got one scheduled for tomorrow at 09:30. I am going in with European Banking Authority and ISO 27001 compliance checklists and an attitude inherited from Deadpool. I'm as happy as a pig in shit about that :-DD

Edit: am however not happy about my TG320 which was supposed to be dispatched but they basically printed the label and left it at that. No sign of it actually being thrown at a brown-clad delivery troll.

Worst case: they haven't managed to source the TG320 yet, and you have to wait until after the delivery deadline has expired.

I've had that, they asked for extra time, and later asked me if I still wanted it.

That wouldn’t surprise me. If I wasn’t distracted with computer bits I’d have built my own signal source by now  :-DD

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, Specmaster

Offline tggzzz

• Super Contributor
« Reply #64755 on: July 29, 2020, 09:52:12 am »

Oh, but I'll bet it looked good, and the unboxing experience was superb.

That, plus inserting the connector, is all that many yootoob "reviews" manage to achieve.

As for using it - poseurs don't do that, they hire somebody competent to do that.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #64756 on: July 29, 2020, 09:56:01 am »
So true. The box is completely retarded as well. Damn ass fell off it when I was opening it nearly bit the dust.

I’m not moaning because I get to expense input devices. So when they disappear onto eBay I’m up cash  :-DD

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #64757 on: July 29, 2020, 10:00:29 am »
So true. The box is completely retarded as well. Damn ass fell off it when I was opening it nearly bit the dust.

I’m not moaning because I get to expense input devices. So when they disappear onto eBay I’m up cash  :-DD

Ah, the usual modus operandi of bd139 at work. :-DD
“Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought. It always defeats order, because it is better organized.”            - Terry Pratchett -

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #64758 on: July 29, 2020, 10:06:16 am »
I have changed my avatar now to suit :)

The following users thanked this post: BU508A, mnementh, Specmaster, TorinoFermic

Offline AVGresponding

• Super Contributor
  • Exploring Rabbit Holes Since The 1970s
« Reply #64759 on: July 29, 2020, 10:13:44 am »

I have. I owned an A500 with the awful beige thing. The Apple one is worse. It doesn’t slide, is really heavy, is too low profile to get hold of, has no physical buttons and the entire surface is a touch pad which means every time you click something it scrolls away before you’ve whacked it.

It’s second only to the 1997 issue Apple “puck mouse” which was functional but made your arm feel like you’d been arm wrestling King Kong all day.

Oh and the intermediate one where they replaced the wheel with a trackball only an ant could operate that had to be cleaned every 8 minutes and made a sound like scratching a blackboard with finger nails.

Alright, you win...

I win for having always distrusted Apple products, and therefore having managed to never own one.   :popcorn:
nuqDaq yuch Dapol?
Addiction count: Agilent-AVO-BlackStar-Brymen-Chauvin Arnoux-Fluke-GenRad-Hameg-HP-Keithley-IsoTech-Mastech-Megger-Metrix-Micronta-Racal-RFL-Siglent-Solartron-Tektronix-Thurlby-Time Electronics-TTi-UniT

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #64760 on: July 29, 2020, 10:16:27 am »
I distrust all products. Seems to work.  :-DD

The following users thanked this post: bitseeker, mnementh

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #64761 on: July 29, 2020, 10:43:30 am »
At last !
My solartron 7150 functions nicely  :-DMM
Looks like the 4 LED's, 2 on each end of the display have given up, I'd recommend that you replace those and the mains input filter, (part of the mains socket) is replaced as round about it likely to be a pipe bomb waiting to go off with age. Otherwise, it looks to be a pretty good 6.5digit meter, well done.
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #64762 on: July 29, 2020, 10:58:01 am »
Out of interest, which part number is the mains filter on them? I may snag one if one appears cheap enough so need to factor that into total cost.

Offline tonyalbus

• Frequent Contributor
  • To better understand, you need to open it ;-)
    • My Channel
« Reply #64763 on: July 29, 2020, 11:04:19 am »

just arrived on my doorstep.... could not let it go by...seller wanted to get rid of it whatever the cost...no other way.. then who am i.. 8)
Electronics enthusiast, TEA and Radio Amateur (PE1ONS)
Marconi  - TTi - Thandar - Thurmbly - HP - Fluke - Philips - Siglent - Owon - TEK - Anritsu - Keithley - AVO - BG7TBL
https://www.youtube.com/TonyAlbus

The following users thanked this post: BU508A, med6753, bd139, factory

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #64764 on: July 29, 2020, 11:05:27 am »

What, wait, am I hearing things, the great mighty Apple is not so great after all then, well swipe me down with a feather  >:D
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline Zucca

• Supporter
  • EE meid in Itali
« Reply #64765 on: July 29, 2020, 11:08:07 am »
This made me smile, such nices scopes on top of Riglol crap.
Can't know what you don't love. St. Augustine
Can't love what you don't know. Zucca

The following users thanked this post: bd139, tonyalbus

Offline tonyalbus

• Frequent Contributor
  • To better understand, you need to open it ;-)
    • My Channel
« Reply #64766 on: July 29, 2020, 11:19:33 am »

christmas time it appairs.. i forgot.. in the weekend made a sweet deal..
now i need to sell first.
Electronics enthusiast, TEA and Radio Amateur (PE1ONS)
Marconi  - TTi - Thandar - Thurmbly - HP - Fluke - Philips - Siglent - Owon - TEK - Anritsu - Keithley - AVO - BG7TBL
https://www.youtube.com/TonyAlbus

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #64767 on: July 29, 2020, 11:39:10 am »
Out of interest, which part number is the mains filter on them? I may snag one if one appears cheap enough so need to factor that into total cost.
It is Schaffner FN372-2/2 and are available here https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Male-IEC-EN-60939-IEC-Filter-Snap-In-5-x-20mm-Solder-Rated-At-2A-250-V-ac-Operat/123141319220 or from here @£19.68 each https://www.mouser.co.uk/Search/Refine?Keyword=Schaffner+FN372-2%2f2

I wouldn't get the eBay one though, not at that price  :-DD
Who let Murphy in?

The following users thanked this post: bd139, URI

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #64768 on: July 29, 2020, 11:53:37 am »
Yeah I wouldn't buy an ebay one from a chancer like that. Thanks for the tip though. £20 plus some LEDs is affordable refurb  :-+

I figured I bought a 4.5 digit meter last week, a 5.5 digit meter this week. Next week... ?  :-DD

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #64769 on: July 29, 2020, 11:56:19 am »
Yeah I wouldn't buy an ebay one from a chancer like that. Thanks for the tip though. £20 plus some LEDs is affordable refurb  :-+

I figured I bought a 4.5 digit meter last week, a 5.5 digit meter this week. Next week... ?  :-DD

Thats what I thought when I got mine, good meters., only real issue that annoys the shit out of me is that the power switch at the rear  :palm:
Next week a boat anchor?  :-DD :-DD

Edit. The ultrasonic cleaner was delivered and signed for today, lets see how long for the refund  >:D
« Last Edit: July 29, 2020, 12:01:51 pm by Specmaster »
Who let Murphy in?

The following users thanked this post: bd139, TorinoFermic

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #64770 on: July 29, 2020, 12:20:30 pm »
On other notes: red lines and what experts are saying about them:

Damn, reminds me of my years at Itty Bitty Morons.  |O :-DD
An old gray beard with an attitude.

The following users thanked this post: BU508A, mnementh, Specmaster, bd139, tonyalbus

Offline TorinoFermic

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #64771 on: July 29, 2020, 12:44:18 pm »

Quote from: bd139 on Today at 07:53:37

Thats what I thought when I got mine, good meters., only real issue that annoys the shit out of me is that the power switch at the rear  :palm:
Next week a boat anchor?  :-DD :-DD

Edit. The ultrasonic cleaner was delivered and signed for today, lets see how long for the refund  >:D
Hey ! I only started at 5.5 digit then 6.5 digit. Never had a 4.5, maybe 3.5 if I count my Brymen BM235. :-DD

Offline syau

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #64772 on: July 29, 2020, 12:47:25 pm »
basically printed the label and left it at that

:( they usually get 3-4 packages ready and THEN go to post. In my experience ebay sellers use to do that, a private usually runs to post because he is exicted/happy for the money he got.
Unfair that ebay can not catch that, they need to learn Python and start to make cross checks with the tracking numbers: printed_label <> shipped.

Agreed, private seller usually ship fast but not the business seller especially those that have multi bid across everyday. They tend to wait until all bid cleared out and ship out at 1 goal.

Offline tggzzz

• Super Contributor
« Reply #64773 on: July 29, 2020, 12:53:34 pm »
On other notes: red lines and what experts are saying about them:

Damn, reminds me of my years at Itty Bitty Morons.  |O :-DD

Or any other InitRode company. (As per the recently and unfortunately sanitised title http://thedailywtf.com/ ).

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #64774 on: July 29, 2020, 12:55:56 pm »
I'm surprised that I've been able to ignore JIS and Pozidriv for this many decades :-[

On this side of the pond, we were in the 50/50 league. Half PZ, half PH. UK kit seemed to be much more PZ, while german stuff was Allen/Inbus. Wood screws were PZ, if not for drywall, there PH ruled.

Now it's all moving to Torx.

My father may be somewhat to blame for the UK being mostly Pozidrive, he was at one time a Sales Manager for GKN fastners division (then known as Guest, Keen, Nettlefold and Mossers) who aggressively promoted Pozidrive in the UK in the 60s and 70s. (One upside of his job, we were never short of the right nut, screw or bolt at home. If we were, we had a pound of them by the end of the next working day.  :) My father is the reason that I knew how to (1) Sing "Blaydon Races", (2) box and (3) pick the right type and size of screwdriver, even before I went to Infant's School. )

There are a lot of Phillips users who think they're blissfully ignored JIS for many a year, but if they go and examine the screw heads on anything Japanese that they own, and have taken apart, the apprentice marks will be witness that it wasn't quite as blissful as they thought.

Being a past master at mangling the heads of fasteners (even with the correct tooling) I am grateful that the rest of the world is finally waking up to the benefits of Torx (aka hexalobular) drive. I have yet to even slightly deform a Torx head, I cannot say the same for slotted, hex (Allen), Phillips, JIS, or Pozidrive (the only reason that Robinson isn't in the list of "things I have wrecked" is that I have still to encounter one in real life).
Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, Neomys Sapiens

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf