Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 16772410 times)

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #64350 on: July 25, 2020, 01:18:56 pm »
   While the wife is away, the husband will play...   Pulled all my HP gear out of my room to have a much needed tidy up... There's more there than I thought.  :phew:

I swear I don't have a problem, I can stop any time I want!   I just don't want to stop quite yet...  ;D

I am both shocked and offended.  >:D You've made entirely too much effort here to do this in a neat and orderly fashion; there is absolutely NO TETRIS or JENGA involved whatsoever!  :rant:

What kind of TEAddict ARE YOU...? Have we taught you NOTHING...?    :-DD

JENGA (A constellation of disorders including multiple phases/types): (1) Junk Engulfing Nearby Garage Areas - wherein all garage space is subject to a constantly moving and contested scrimmage line; (2) Junk Encroaching Nonpermissible General Areas - usually defined by other household members and their "need" to use nonessential spaces like living rooms, kitchens and bathrooms; (3) Junk Engulfing Nonvertical Geometric Areas - the inevitable spontaneous accumulation of all manner of tools and junk on any available table-like horizontal surface; (4) Junk Emigrating Non-Garage Areas - the inexplicable migration of entire stacks to other rooms, often discovered by other household members with a hand truck still underneath; (5) Junk Engulfing Nonhorizontal Growth Areas - the accumulation of box-shaped objects stacked from floor to ceiling, and the inevitable need to remove one object from the middle of the stack without all of it falling down on your head.

RAM:  Random Access Management - The process of locating various pieces of test equipment in a manner so that they are quickly and easily accessible.  This process can be applied to both equipment storage areas as well as the active work bench.  Failure to implement a RAM protocol will result in equipment getting buried, requiring the moving of several other pieces of equipment to gain access to a specific item or, even worse, to prevent that specific item from being found. (see also: DRAM, RAMBUS, RAMDAC, SRAM, TETRIS)

TETRIS:  Test Equipment Torment - Reorganization In Situ.  The equivalent of changing spark plugs while driving down the highway, this is the high stress process of rearranging equipment - but being limited to doing so in the existing space.  Any attempt to 'borrow' space in another area of the premises is met with threats of items found outside the boundaries of toleration will be immediately disposed of.  Protests are met with references to some storage area that was temporarily borrowed 3 years ago - that you still occupy. (see also: RAM)

Now go stand in the corner (take a breakfast taco with you before they get cold ;)) and think about what you've done!!!  :P

mnem
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #64351 on: July 25, 2020, 01:24:33 pm »
Mnem .... down, boy!

Oh, so pretty .......

The care in constructing this shot is not lost on me.

The following users thanked this post: BU508A, mnementh, Specmaster, wolfy007, 0culus

Offline Saskia

• Super Contributor
  • you unlock this door with the key of imagination
« Reply #64352 on: July 25, 2020, 01:35:04 pm »
I agree, beautiful.  :-+

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #64353 on: July 25, 2020, 01:54:46 pm »
   While the wife is away, the husband will play...   Pulled all my HP gear out of my room to have a much needed tidy up... There's more there than I thought.  :phew:

I swear I don't have a problem, I can stop any time I want!   I just don't want to stop quite yet...  ;D

I am both shocked and offended.  >:D You've made entirely too much effort here to do this in a neat and orderly fashion; there is absolutely NO TETRIS or JENGA involved whatsoever!  :rant:

JENGA (A constellation of disorders including multiple phases/types): (1) Junk Engulfing Nearby Garage Areas - wherein all garage space is subject to a constantly moving and contested scrimmage line; (2) Junk Encroaching Nonpermissible General Areas - usually defined by other household members and their "need" to use nonessential spaces like living rooms, kitchens and bathrooms; (3) Junk Engulfing Nonvertical Geometric Areas - the inevitable spontaneous accumulation of all manner of tools and junk on any available table-like horizontal surface; (4) Junk Emigrating Non-Garage Areas - the inexplicable migration of entire stacks to other rooms, often discovered by other household members with a hand truck still underneath; (5) Junk Engulfing Nonhorizontal Growth Areas - the accumulation of box-shaped objects stacked from floor to ceiling, and the inevitable need to remove one object from the middle of the stack without all of it falling down on your head.

RAM:  Random Access Management - The process of locating various pieces of test equipment in a manner so that they are quickly and easily accessible.  This process can be applied to both equipment storage areas as well as the active work bench.  Failure to implement a RAM protocol will result in equipment getting buried, requiring the moving of several other pieces of equipment to gain access to a specific item or, even worse, to prevent that specific item from being found. (see also: DRAM, RAMBUS, RAMDAC, SRAM, TETRIS)

TETRIS:  Test Equipment Torment - Reorganization In Situ.  The equivalent of changing spark plugs while driving down the highway, this is the high stress process of rearranging equipment - but being limited to doing so in the existing space.  Any attempt to 'borrow' space in another area of the premises is met with threats of items found outside the boundaries of toleration will be immediately disposed of.  Protests are met with references to some storage area that was temporarily borrowed 3 years ago - that you still occupy. (see also: RAM)

Now go stand in the corner (take a breakfast taco with you before they get cold ;)) and think about what you've done!!!  :P

mnem

If anyone needs to go stand in a corner.......... :P :-DD
An old gray beard with an attitude.

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, Specmaster

Offline Saskia

• Super Contributor
« Reply #64354 on: July 25, 2020, 02:02:07 pm »
Gotta bait my coworkers who have been stealing my Habanero crisps ...

https://youtu.be/VtXoRSjGlkA

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #64355 on: July 25, 2020, 02:22:18 pm »
...Now go stand in the corner (take a breakfast taco with you before they get cold ;)) and think about what you've done!!!  :P

mnem

Dude... it's called "a diversion".  >:D

mnem
Don't read this.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2020, 02:24:42 pm by mnementh »
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #64356 on: July 25, 2020, 02:34:41 pm »
...Now go stand in the corner (take a breakfast taco with you before they get cold ;)) and think about what you've done!!!  :P

mnem

mnem
Don't read this.

Dude.....it's called "didn't work".  :P :P :-DD

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #64357 on: July 25, 2020, 02:38:48 pm »
Ok half of TME ordered  :palm:.

Ordered the rest of the bits that RS decided they weren't going to ship so I can recap my Fluke 8060A. I'll call them up on Monday and cancel the other half of their order the useless twats  >:(

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #64358 on: July 25, 2020, 02:41:14 pm »
As I speak I am actively re-capping.  :-/O

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #64359 on: July 25, 2020, 02:44:17 pm »

mnem

mnem
Don't read this.

Dude.....it's called "didn't work".  :P :P :-DD

Don't make me call cousin Imogene... she licks you very much.  >:D

mnem
Wait... I could just give her your address. I'm sure she'd love to come visit...

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #64360 on: July 25, 2020, 02:48:02 pm »
Whatever dude. You can armchair QB this one all you want. I know about aluminum and the speed with which it oxidizes; and that you need to use a SS brush. Even between changing work angles on the work. And you really wanna store that brush so it doesn't get contaminated by other crap in the shop, too. They make rod for stick welding aluminum, and you can also use it as filler for DC TIG as long as the metal is thin enough.  :palm: I know it's the wrong way to do it, and gets no penetration; hence sheet metal and tube. Again... you're talking CAN'T vs best practice.

I don't like to stick weld with a coathanger either but I assure you it CAN be done, as I've done it when I had to. Not pretty, but welded nonetheless.

For fuck's SAKE man.

None of this REALLY matters... even if I CAN'T do aluminum with that little buzzbox I can still do ferrous; both stick and TIG. I could even do AL MIG with it if I wanted to spend the money on a spoolgun. There are plenty of applications here; $50 is nothing to throw at it. I spent more than that on pizza & wings for lunch.

mnem
 :palm:

Y'know Mnem. It would be nice if just once in a while you admitted that you don't know everything about all things mechanical and admit that sometimes you've got it wrong. All this flows from me pointing out that it was a DC only box, and that's not suitable for TIG welding Aluminium. Anyone who knew their way around TIG would have gone "Good catch, thanks".

You however, seem to blow up like this every time someone brings up something that points out the limits of your knowledge and you start getting squirrelly and argumentative. On this one, everything I have ever learned about this from the guys who do it for a living, and from the guys who do it for a hobby, and from my welding textbooks says you're wrong. Nothing says it with as much clarity as much as that screen grab of a DCEN weld in Aluminium. That one could bodge it, or even weld with a coathanger is just distraction. It's not a question of "best practice" versus "the possible", it wasn't even a question until you made it one because all the rest of the world says "AC for TIG welding on Aluminium" and for some reason you choose to disagree with the rest of the world.

That you have held a welding torch and used it a few times does not make you the expert who's competent to disagree with all the acknowledged expertise from the field, and does not excuse you from accusing someone of being an "armchair QB" because they disagree with you based on that pool of knowledge. Not that it counts for anything, but I suspect that I made my first weld before you were born (MMA on angle iron, frame for the two Villiers 2 stroke motors from two scrapped 'invalid carriages*' for a hovercraft that I was building with my father, circa 1970).

* Yes, the Ministry of Health really did hand out these deathtraps to disabled people right up until some time in the 1970s:      That is a superior specimen. They were a common sight in my youth and were much rattier looking than that.

Y'know C... all this doesn't change the fact that I've DONE IT. I really get tired of having to defend what people say CAN'T be done... when I did it decades ago. It may not have been the RIGHT way to do it, but I DID it. :palm:

I DON'T KNOW EVERYTHING. There are libraries full of books full of things I don't fucking know. I've done a LOT of welding... even for a living for a while... but I for gawd's sake don't know even a fraction of everything there is to know about welding. But I know I CAN TIG aluminum with DC, I've done it.

But you know what... don't take MY word for it.

[url]https://weldingmastermind.com/11-tips-for-tig-welding-aluminum-with-dc/[/url]

See? I was wrong... this article sez DC for AL is best when you need deep penetration. That probably means I was running my TIG work too cold because I was afraid of blow-thru with the tubing/clip angles I was trying to weld. OTOH, I remember it felt like I had to crank it up 3x as high as it should be to even start my arc, and even then I couldn't see the puddle until after the flux from the filler rod started to curl away from the work.  :-//

Or maybe this one...

[url]https://www.thefabricator.com/thewelder/article/aluminumwelding/aluminum-workshop-aluminum-tig-with-dcen[/url]

or this one, which feels a lot like MY experience...

[url]http://hildstrom.com/projects/dctigaluminumflux/index.html[/url]

or maybe this video...

That sez the same thing: DC for penetration. Oh, and duh... no wonder I had to use the stick welding rod as filler: I'm about positive I was using the wrong gas, Argon, and entirely possible the TIG filler rod I originally tried to use was the wrong alloy.

But NO C... the WHOLE WORLD does not say "never use DC TIG for aluminum". Just that in most cases, it's not the BEST choice.

I never said it was the BEST choice... or even a good choice... just that I knew it could be done. Just like I know you can weld heavy cast iron with a old Lincoln 225 welder and 6013 rod, just like I know you can braze aluminum treadplate with a MAPP torch if you get the right rod, just like I know you can cut plate steel with a brazing torch. All of which I have done for the same reason: the work needed to be done, but the right tools simply weren't available at the time or the job at hand didn't justify spending the money on the right tools for the job.

This short list was NOT me digging through the darkest corners of the internet. This was literally the first few hits. There's lots more, all saying pretty much the same thing.

I don't care if that little box is the right thing for the job. When I get one, I'll mod it for TIG use. And if I NEED to weld Aluminum, I'll do the same thing I've always done... use what I have at hand, or mod it and make what I need and get the job done. Just like I've always done. Just like I did back then, by trial and error.

I hope I've admitted I don't know everything and that I was wrong enough times here that maybe you noticed; it's not the first time and it certainly won't be the last. You have no idea how many times I've said these words to my son: Don't look at me like I know everything; all I really know is just about enough to guess at how little I really know.

NOW... can we please put this to rest?

mnem
smeesh.

You've had to go to lengths to find a few, very specific "you can do it this way" references but they're surrounded by caveats "aluminium thicker than 1/4 inch" (i.e. 250+ amps), heavy chemical preparation, huge water cooled tungsten, helium shielding gas, "process used in the 40s and 50s". All a lot of effort to get some weak backing for "I can weld Aluminium with this little DC welder". Have you ever heard the phrase "the exception proves the rule". Yes, I sure that you could, in some fashion, if you really wanted to, to prove a point, make a DC weld with a ~60A welder on 1mm aluminium and you'd have a weld, but a weld  that wouldn't pass inspection anywhere. But you'd only do it if you stubbornly wanted to prove a point. Which is what this is all really about, not about the technicalities. As I've said, this started with a  friendly, "erm you realise that's DC only", and you're going out of the way to try to prove "but I'm right and I must know better because I've done this stuff" rather than admit to a small hole in your knowledge. Many things are possible but not advisable, to use "but I've done it" as the touchstone is not the basis of wisdom. FFS, you actually admit that your path is littered with the results of trial and error and it's your intention to blunder on like that. What's the plan, decline informed advice with a "No, no, don't tell me.  I'd rather just do it with trial and error and stuff I can find in the back of the barn"?

My purpose is not to humble you or to make you say "I was wrong". By the way, saying "I was wrong" multiple times interspersed with lots of reasons why you think you're right  and anecdotes of how you counsel your son on admitting ignorance is not saying "I was wrong" just as a small boy saying "I'm sorry" while scuffing his feet and muttering "but he started it" under his voice is not an apology.

I'm not having any fun here, and I'm not trying to prove a point, I'm trying to get you to realise that just because you have practical experience of something does not make you automatically correct on a subject, and it's clear that you do think that because I've seen you use it as an argumentational gambit more times than I (genuinely) care to remember. You're a nice bloke, I don't like watching you get into spats with people because you cling to your experience (especially when it's with me). If you were just another "arsehole on the Internet" I wouldn't bother. When you do do this I see the classic engineer's "need to be right in a argument" come out in you, and it's not attractive. Sure, experience is a good teacher but experience is not infallibly right. To offer a counter-example, the boss who has gotten good results from bullying his staff will extol that as an effective method because experience has taught him so; we all know he's wrong, so experience is not an infallible guide.

For someone who claims he's a humble guy who meekly admits his mistakes and ignorances you're sure bull-headed about it.  :)
Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

Offline TERRA Operative

• Super Contributor
  • Voider of warranties
    • Near Far Media Youtube
« Reply #64361 on: July 25, 2020, 02:55:14 pm »

mnem

Don't worry, it was all for a purpose!  :P

It's all tetrised back into my room with greater efficiency. A job that had to be done to clear floorspace, for MORE TEST GEAR!  :-DD  |O

I seek your approval of my stacking abilities, it's all for the greater good of hoarding ever increasing amounts of random gear. :)

Mnem .... down, boy!

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/test-equipment-anonymous-(tea)-group-therapy-thread/?action=dlattach;attach=1032414;image
Oh, so pretty .......

The care in constructing this shot is not lost on me.

I took special care, like a gardener tending their orchids.  :-/O

On a related note, I think I could fit another rack in there for a second tall stack of junk with space on top for an additional pile........
Where does all this test equipment keep coming from?!?

https://www.youtube.com/NearFarMedia/

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, jemotrain

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #64362 on: July 25, 2020, 02:55:44 pm »
On the subject of joining bits of metal, I've got some small awkward brazes that need doing. All the clamps I have are way too big and awkward so i ordered some mini welding clamps that arrived today.

They are the cutest little things:      I do not have big hands, I take a size 7 1/2 glove, so those things are tiny. Four for a tenner.

I give you a week before every one of them has the spring burned out of it.  :-DD

mnem
"Why are my magnet clamps stuck to the ceiling again?" :palm:

Well, if I was making Farmer's Welds with Sean's 'battery charger' you'd be right, but these are specifically for making some itty-bitty brazes at 300ºC that would disappear behind any of the clamps I already have and I'd just spend all my time heating up the clamps.

I think they'll just about hold up in the face of a small propane torch and 300ºC odd. Just.  :)

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #64363 on: July 25, 2020, 02:57:59 pm »
Pulled all my HP gear out of my room to have a much needed tidy up... There's more there than I thought.  :phew:

I snorted out loud when I read that line.

Now, do you have time to get the true magnitude of the pile hidden away again before the wife gets back? That's the critical question. If not, let us know which hospital to send the flowers to.

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #64364 on: July 25, 2020, 02:59:36 pm »
Ok half of TME ordered  :palm:.

Ordered the rest of the bits that RS decided they weren't going to ship so I can recap my Fluke 8060A. I'll call them up on Monday and cancel the other half of their order the useless twats  >:(

TME...? >:D

Quote from: TheFreeDictionary.com

TME
Also found in: Medical, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
Category filter:
Acronym   Definition
TME   Tumor Microenvironment (various organizations)
TME   Trader Media East (est. 2005)
TME   Through My Eyes
TME   Total Mesorectal Excision
TME   Track Mouse Event
TME   the Messaging Engine
TME   Toyota Motor Europe
TME   Transmissible Mink Encephalopathy
TME   Telefónica Móviles España
TME   Tivoli Management Environment
TME   Total Managed Expenditure
TME   Technical Marketing Engineer
TME   Technical Matter Expert
TME   Technology Made Easy (various organizations)
TME   True Metabolizable Energy
TME   The Mathematics Educator (journal)
TME   Telecommunications, Media and Entertainment
TME   Too Much Effort
TME   Tejera Microsystems Engineering, Inc. (Florida)
TME   Test and Measurement Equipment
TME   Test Marketing Exemption (US EPA)
TME   Tallow Methyl Ester (biodiesel)
TME   Tick-Mark Explanation
TME   Trust for Museum Exhibitions
TME   Torpedoman's Mate, Electrical (US Navy)
TME   Thrombotic Meningoencephalitis
TME   To Match Existing (construction/contracting)
TME   Too Much Exposure
TME   Trunk Module Equipment
TME   Toxic-Metabolic Encephalopathy
TME   The Magician's Eye (photography; Phoenix, AZ)
TME   Training Management and Evaluation
TME   Total Membership Education
TME   The Mount Erac (webcomic character)
TME   Transactions on Military Electronics (IEEE; now Transactions on Aerospace and Electronic Systems)
TME   Transform, Manage and Exchange (business to business e-commerce)
TME   Time and Materials Estimate
TME   Threat Mine Emulator
TME   Tommy Mäkinen Edition (Mitsubishi Lancer Evo VI)
TME   Total Maintenance Events
TME   The Morning Edge
TME   Traceability Made Easy (product tracking software)
TME   The Mont Entertainment (record label)
TME   Thomas Media Enterprise (web development company; Pennsylvania)
TME   Targeted Malicious Email

TME. (n.d.) TheFreeDictionary.com. (2020). Retrieved July 25 2020 from https://acronyms.thefreedictionary.com/TME

mnem
 :popcorn:

Offline TERRA Operative

• Super Contributor
  • Voider of warranties
    • Near Far Media Youtube
« Reply #64365 on: July 25, 2020, 03:02:08 pm »
Pulled all my HP gear out of my room to have a much needed tidy up... There's more there than I thought.  :phew:

I snorted out loud when I read that line.

Now, do you have time to get the true magnitude of the pile hidden away again before the wife gets back? That's the critical question. If not, let us know which hospital to send the flowers to.

I have struck gold with a wife that doesn't care how much gear I accumulate, as long as it fits in my room.

If she can close the door to avoid looking at it, she's happy. :D

Offline bitseekerTopic starter

• Super Contributor
  • Lots of engineer-tweakable parts inside!
« Reply #64366 on: July 25, 2020, 03:03:42 pm »
...as long as it fits in my room.

And doesn't collapse the floor. :-DD
TEA is the way. | TEA Time channel

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #64367 on: July 25, 2020, 03:05:39 pm »
Mnem .... down, boy!

Oh, so pretty .......

Oh lordy, Brumby's turned into Maria from West Side Story!

Give us a twirl Brumby, let us see the frock properly.  :)

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #64369 on: July 25, 2020, 03:12:51 pm »
I have struck gold with a wife that doesn't care how much gear I accumulate, as long as it fits in my room.

If she can close the door to avoid looking at it, she's happy. :D

That's what she says, but once she's worked out what that is in handbags, shoes and haircuts...  :)

Offline Saskia

• Super Contributor
« Reply #64370 on: July 25, 2020, 03:20:31 pm »

On the subject of joining bits of metal, I've got some small awkward brazes that need doing. All the clamps I have are way too big and awkward so i ordered some mini welding clamps that arrived today.

They are the cutest little things:      I do not have big hands, I take a size 7 1/2 glove, so those things are tiny. Four for a tenner.

I give you a week before every one of them has the spring burned out of it.  :-DD

mnem
"Why are my magnet clamps stuck to the ceiling again?" :palm:
I those little things Mnem's nipple clamps ? I know he is into licking smurfs, but ...

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #64371 on: July 25, 2020, 03:32:49 pm »
HP 5326B PSU before.

HP 5326B PSU after.

I assume Cubdriver wants these so I'll save them for him.

The Counter is currently warming up and connected to the 10MHz reference for final calibration.

I was checking to make sure the capacitors were running cool and my hand slipped and contacted the fuse holder. OUCH!  :palm: :phew:

The following users thanked this post: BU508A, tonyalbus

Offline TERRA Operative

• Super Contributor
  • Voider of warranties
    • Near Far Media Youtube
« Reply #64372 on: July 25, 2020, 03:39:46 pm »
I approve.

Offline Saskia

• Super Contributor
« Reply #64373 on: July 25, 2020, 03:42:56 pm »
yarp. nice.

The following users thanked this post: med6753

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #64374 on: July 25, 2020, 03:43:44 pm »
You've had to go to lengths to find a few, very specific "you can do it this way" references but they're surrounded by caveats "aluminium thicker than 1/4 inch" (i.e. 250+ amps), heavy chemical preparation, huge water cooled tungsten, helium shielding gas, "process used in the 40s and 50s". All a lot of effort to get some weak backing for "I can weld Aluminium with this little DC welder". Have you ever heard the phrase "the exception proves the rule". Yes, I sure that you could, in some fashion, if you really wanted to, to prove a point, make a DC weld with a ~60A welder on 1mm aluminium and you'd have a weld, but a weld  that wouldn't pass inspection anywhere. But you'd only do it if you stubbornly wanted to prove a point. Which is what this is all really about, not about the technicalities. As I've said, this started with a  friendly, "erm you realise that's DC only", and you're going out of the way to try to prove "but I'm right and I must know better because I've done this stuff" rather than admit to a small hole in your knowledge. Many things are possible but not advisable, to use "but I've done it" as the touchstone is not the basis of wisdom. FFS, you actually admit that your path is littered with the results of trial and error and it's your intention to blunder on like that. What's the plan, decline informed advice with a "No, no, don't tell me.  I'd rather just do it with trial and error and stuff I can find in the back of the barn"?

My purpose is not to humble you or to make you say "I was wrong". By the way, saying "I was wrong" multiple times interspersed with lots of reasons why you think you're right  and anecdotes of how you counsel your son on admitting ignorance is not saying "I was wrong" just as a small boy saying "I'm sorry" while scuffing his feet and muttering "but he started it" under his voice is not an apology.

I'm not having any fun here, and I'm not trying to prove a point, I'm trying to get you to realise that just because you have practical experience of something does not make you automatically correct on a subject, and it's clear that you do think that because I've seen you use it as an argumentational gambit more times than I (genuinely) care to remember. You're a nice bloke, I don't like watching you get into spats with people because you cling to your experience (especially when it's with me). If you were just another "arsehole on the Internet" I wouldn't bother. When you do do this I see the classic engineer's "need to be right in a argument" come out in you, and it's not attractive. Sure, experience is a good teacher but experience is not infallibly right. To offer a counter-example, the boss who has gotten good results from bullying his staff will extol that as an effective method because experience has taught him so; we all know he's wrong, so experience is not an infallible guide.

For someone who claims he's a humble guy who meekly admits his mistakes and ignorances you're sure bull-headed about it.  :)

No... I Googled "DC TIG Aluminum" and took the first few hits off the page. Then I reviewed those hits, and honestly looked into and admitted the mistakes I saw that I'd made.

No, it didn't start that way. it was EXACTLY NOT THAT. Which I explained in my followup post this morning, after reviewing everything that had been said, only in the harsh light of day over my morning cuppa. Go have a look; no, I'll wait. ;)

No... this is LITERALLY what I was saying. And itemizing exactly HOW, to demonstrate that I understood I was wrong. I really thought you knew me better by now; that my motivations are not that simple. I KNOW you've seen me admit I was wrong more than enough times, in here, to know that I WILL admit it once I realize it. Sure, I'm going to defend what I think I know... just like anybody else. But I constantly re-evaulate, and you know that about me. Or at least you SHOULD by now.

Yup. Also admitted in here more than once. Also inferred, but not stated, in said followup post. Also, reciprocated; if you were just another a-hole on the internet, I wouldn't get annoyed when you bust my chops. I'd consider the source and just ignore you.

And really... "But he started it..." ? We've known each other for how long... and you REALLY think that was where I was going with that? :palm:

Jeebus C... maybe you don't know me as well as I thought you did. :-//

mnem
 :popcorn:

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf