Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 16949479 times)

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #63850 on: July 20, 2020, 03:36:25 pm »
I got up this morning and immediately set about to get some errands done and then returned and took a nap. Now half groggy and drinking a strong coffee I just caught up reading the last 1.5 pages of postings. I am speechless. Got nothing constructive to add but I can tell you that if I'm ever tempted to give into a relationship involving co-habitation I rather shoot myself first.  :o ::) :palm:

Yes, that would be for the best. For everyone involved.  >:D

mnem
*currently three-habitating*
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster, bd139

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #63851 on: July 20, 2020, 03:41:04 pm »
Gah bought another duff fluke for £18. This time an 8060a.  Wish me luck  :-DD. I’m betting on duff electrolytic caps and corrosion and at least it can’t be overvolted  :-DD Shifted the broken 8050a earlier today.
Repaired this car crash before which was far worse off so fingers crossed:
So.... you're justifying one act of dumbassery by presenting a similar example of dumbassery, after selling off yet another example of dumbassery...?  :-DD

mnem

Nailed it  :-DD

It’s low risk dumbassery though as ROI is always better than break even, also if it doesn’t work. Got 75% of spend back on the 8050a and have an RF probe and case for a future 8010a or eBay

I really cannot see why everybody is on bd's back, OK, it's a Tek, etc, but as he has already stated he does have a reason for his actions and also the TDS210 is perfectly adequate for his stated purpose, audio work, even with its crappy digital display and lack of memory depth. Yes, we all know that analogue scopes have a far better display, I have both a Fluke PM3390B 200MHz combiscope and a Tek TDS210, but the TDS210 gets used most because it is quick to switch on, actually sits on my bench so is right in front of me and takes a very small footprint.

If I had bench space like a lot of you have, then I'd probably use the combiscope more, but space prevents it from being the main go to scope. Yes I'd like a colour display etc. but really cannot justify the cost, so the TDS210 suits me just fine, and I daresay bd can identify with a lot of that as well.  :-+ 

Exactly that  :-+.

It’ll do the job and it’ll do it quietly without burning my electricity bill or toes off  :-DD. Also fits in a plastic crate with no special treatment when I move house and doesn’t make my pissy shitbox of a car do a wheelie if I pull away too quick like a 7000  :-DD
« Last Edit: July 20, 2020, 03:43:28 pm by bd139 »

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #63852 on: July 20, 2020, 03:42:07 pm »
@Specmaster - Mostly because it's so much fun to pick on bd; there's much to work with and he's such a good sport about it. And it brings guys like you (and me and med ;)) out of the woodwork to expand the show.  :-DD

mnem
« Last Edit: July 20, 2020, 03:48:03 pm by mnementh »
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #63853 on: July 20, 2020, 03:43:36 pm »
I really cannot see why everybody is on bd's back, OK, it's a Tek, etc, but as he has already stated he does have a reason for his actions and also the TDS210 is perfectly adequate for his stated purpose, audio work, even with its crappy digital display and lack of memory depth. Yes, we all know that analogue scopes have a far better display, I have both a Fluke PM3390B 200MHz combiscope and a Tek TDS210, but the TDS210 gets used most because it is quick to switch on, actually sits on my bench so is right in front of me and takes a very small footprint.

If I had bench space like a lot of you have, then I'd probably use the combiscope more, but space prevents it from being the main go to scope. Yes I'd like a colour display etc. but really cannot justify the cost, so the TDS210 suits me just fine, and I daresay bd can identify with a lot of that as well.  :-+

Not me. I know exactly what bd is experiencing. Been there, done that. I'm sorry to say more than once. LOSER across my forehead. Never again. 
An old gray beard with an attitude.

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, Specmaster, bd139

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #63854 on: July 20, 2020, 03:44:53 pm »
@Specmaster - Mostly because it's so much fun to pick on bd; there's much to work with and he's such a good sport about it. And it brings guys like you (and me and med ;)) out of the woodwork to expand the show.  :-DD

mnem

If we’re not taking the piss out of each other then what point is there in existing? :-DD

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, Specmaster

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #63855 on: July 20, 2020, 03:45:40 pm »
@bd - Okay, I'll bite. How much did you pay for said NOS TDS210...?

mnem
« Last Edit: July 20, 2020, 03:47:17 pm by mnementh »

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #63856 on: July 20, 2020, 03:47:41 pm »
@bd - Okay, I'll bite. How much did you pay for said NOS TDS210...?

mnem

with eBay % off voucher and low ball offer, $110 equiv.

Came with three probes albeit a mixture of greenpar, Philips and leader ones

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #63857 on: July 20, 2020, 03:49:40 pm »
Shipped...?

mnem
 :o

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #63858 on: July 20, 2020, 03:52:28 pm »
Well you guys hold down the fort while I commit a felony with an HP top cover and some gray spray paint.  >:D :-DD

The following users thanked this post: tautech, Specmaster

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #63859 on: July 20, 2020, 03:54:05 pm »
'Kay, Papa Smurf. Try not to git any on ya. ;)

Just checked back on that 2213A... no response. Guess my lowball offer was too offensive to even reply.

mnem

Offline Ice-Tea

• Super Contributor
    • Freelance Hardware Engineer
« Reply #63860 on: July 20, 2020, 03:56:03 pm »
Yes, we all know that analogue scopes have a far better display, I have both a Fluke PM3390B 200MHz combiscope and a Tek TDS210, but the TDS210 gets used most because it is quick to switch on, actually sits on my bench so is right in front of me and takes a very small footprint.

And dead silent because it has no fan...

Offline SilverSolder

• Super Contributor
« Reply #63861 on: July 20, 2020, 03:59:18 pm »
'Kay, Papa Smurf. Try not to git any on ya. ;)

Just checked back on that 2213A... no response. Guess my lowball offer was too offensive to even reply.

mnem

It is the Universe's way of preventing you from buying stuff you don't need!  :D

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #63862 on: July 20, 2020, 04:16:35 pm »

Not me. I know exactly what bd is experiencing. Been there, done that. I'm sorry to say more than once. LOSER across my forehead. Never again. 
Yup, but I only did that mistake once, this time its for keeps.
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #63863 on: July 20, 2020, 04:18:30 pm »
So.... you're justifying one act of dumbassery by presenting a similar example of dumbassery, after selling off yet another example of dumbassery...?  :-DD

Is this not how we live our lives?

"We are not men, we are dumbass"

:)
Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, bd139

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #63864 on: July 20, 2020, 04:19:17 pm »

Offline AVGresponding

• Super Contributor
  • Exploring Rabbit Holes Since The 1970s
« Reply #63865 on: July 20, 2020, 04:22:41 pm »

All this hating on Tek TDS210s just makes me want one more.

Compared to the old Hameg 20MHz analog scopes I used at college and work, it's pretty fancy, as is my TDS420.
nuqDaq yuch Dapol?
Addiction count: Agilent-AVO-BlackStar-Brymen-Chauvin Arnoux-Fluke-GenRad-Hameg-HP-Keithley-IsoTech-Mastech-Megger-Metrix-Micronta-Racal-RFL-Siglent-Solartron-Tektronix-Thurlby-Time Electronics-TTi-UniT

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #63866 on: July 20, 2020, 04:26:15 pm »
If you lurk enough you can get them for not much. Paid £60 for my last one  :-DD

See here: https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/tektronix-tds210-teardown-and-bnc-replacement/

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #63867 on: July 20, 2020, 04:26:38 pm »
Shipped...?

mnem
+ $12 shipping

Oklay... for $122 delivered... and in the condition you describe... yeah, you're forgiven. ;) Unless you  :-BROKE it, you'll get your use out of it and no way in hell you could possibly not be able to flip it for a profit when you're done.  :P

mnem
*poot!*

Offline TERRA Operative

• Super Contributor
  • Voider of warranties
    • Near Far Media Youtube
« Reply #63868 on: July 20, 2020, 04:27:50 pm »
I got a TDS210 in almost mint condition with the recall fix and new CCFL tube installed, complete with the communications module.
I even resoldered the BNC's so no wibble-wobble at all.

I'll swap for a Siglent SDS1104X-E and I'll even throw in a serial cable!  :-DD
Where does all this test equipment keep coming from?!?

https://www.youtube.com/NearFarMedia/

The following users thanked this post: bd139

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #63869 on: July 20, 2020, 04:29:31 pm »
If you lurk enough you can get them for not much. Paid £60 for my last one  :-DD

See here: https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/tektronix-tds210-teardown-and-bnc-replacement/

Okay, NOW you're just rubbing my nose in it...  ;)

mnem

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #63870 on: July 20, 2020, 04:30:17 pm »
Shipped...?

mnem
+ $12 shipping

Oklay... for $122 delivered... and in the condition you describe... yeah, you're forgiven. ;) Unless you  :-BROKE it, you'll get your use out of it and no way in hell you could possibly not be able to flip it for a profit when you're done.  :P

mnem
*poot!*

Yeah they go for stupid money here for some reason as well. Wouldn't have jumped on it if I couldn't flip it.

"Always have an exit plan"  :-DD

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, Specmaster

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #63871 on: July 20, 2020, 04:30:25 pm »

Okay, NOW you're just rubbing my nose in it...  ;)

mnem

You deserved it.  >:D :-DD

The following users thanked this post: Brumby, Specmaster, bd139

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #63872 on: July 20, 2020, 04:31:43 pm »
I got a TDS210 in almost mint condition with the recall fix and new CCFL tube installed, complete with the communications module.
I even resoldered the BNC's so no wibble-wobble at all.

I'll swap for a Siglent SDS1104X-E and I'll even throw in a serial cable!  :-DD

That reminds me I need to check this one for the fix. I get the feeling it hasn't been done. I'm not too bothered as it's not going near anything where it'll end up as the main path to earth though. Might just leave it.

Offline 25 CPS

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #63873 on: July 20, 2020, 04:33:25 pm »
I have a Tektronix TDS-210 as well.  It’s definitely not mint though.

1027170-0

It was available dirt cheap and I picked it up for nostalgia value since that’s what they had in all the labs when I was in college.  This one came from the local university and it was pretty thoroughly roughed up by the students.  Still works though and it’s been handy to toss in the car in a pinch.  And, as a college graduate, it was kind of nice to see that they weren’t giving the golden university students better equipment than we had to play around with...

Offline TERRA Operative

• Super Contributor
  • Voider of warranties
    • Near Far Media Youtube
« Reply #63874 on: July 20, 2020, 04:41:46 pm »
The recall fix is a little clip on the PCB near the probe comp area IIRC, but an earth wire can be soldered in from the ground-plane at the BNC's to the mains earth pin for the same effect.
Where does all this test equipment keep coming from?!?

https://www.youtube.com/NearFarMedia/

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf