Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 16949481 times)

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #63825 on: July 20, 2020, 01:04:38 pm »
Yeah. Shame about that 454. It's still up but I can't drive to get it :(
I was really meaning getting back on the Tek wagon again but at least this time it's a bit more modern than all the 465's etc you've had through your hands.

So is this one just flipping bangers/burgers ?
For those trying to follow along:
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt10219442/

Yeah I don't want to go back to them really. I want to concentrate on some forward engineering projects over the next couple of years. I had to ground zero everything to start objectively on that because of distractions. You've all done it. Piles of unfinished projects everywhere  :-DD

I started all this a very long time ago to solve some problems. I solved none of them. I did end up with a nice bench full of new kit though. But what good is that if you do nothing with it? So back to old kit and solving problems.  :-+. (first problem is producing some fully active crossover speakers that aren't a complete piece of shit)

Winner at last. New old toy. Surprised to find it's almost new. 46 power cycles (!). Display and encoders feel like it just came out of the box  :-+

Line trigger diag failure is normal on these. Came with some trash probes which I will replace.

Jeezus... you people. Ooohing and ahhhing over a 2-CH 60MHz scope with 2.5k depth and one of the worse LCD displays ever to grace a workbench just because it's a Tek... but when I ask opinions on a HP 100MHz MDO with the same sample rate and 4K depth for $175, y'all pooh-pooh it like it's a steaming pile of dingoes' kidneys.

What. the. FUCK.

I'd like to raise my hand and say that I said nothing back then  :-DD

Yes it's dingos kidneys but it's adequate for the task it's doing :)

The following users thanked this post: tautech, mnementh

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #63826 on: July 20, 2020, 01:05:09 pm »
There's always a Plan B:

Buy Siglent.    :-DD
“Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought. It always defeats order, because it is better organized.”            - Terry Pratchett -

The following users thanked this post: bd139, TorinoFermic, tonyalbus

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #63827 on: July 20, 2020, 01:05:57 pm »
That's plan A  :-DD

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, TorinoFermic, tonyalbus

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #63828 on: July 20, 2020, 01:07:50 pm »
There's always a Plan B:

Buy Siglent.    :-DD
Nope, bd's already got one.  :P

Maybe more sometime later.  :popcorn:
Avid Rabid Hobbyist.
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #63829 on: July 20, 2020, 01:14:29 pm »
Honestly, I've lost track what gear bd139 has and what he had sold.  :-//  ;)

I thought, he'd bought an AFG from Siglent? No?

Really, following this path confuses me more and more ...   :-DD
“Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought. It always defeats order, because it is better organized.”            - Terry Pratchett -

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #63830 on: July 20, 2020, 01:21:51 pm »
Yeah. Shame about that 454. It's still up but I can't drive to get it :(
I was really meaning getting back on the Tek wagon again but at least this time it's a bit more modern than all the 465's etc you've had through your hands.

So is this one just flipping bangers/burgers ?
For those trying to follow along:
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt10219442/

Yeah I don't want to go back to them really. I want to concentrate on some forward engineering projects over the next couple of years. I had to ground zero everything to start objectively on that because of distractions. You've all done it. Piles of unfinished projects everywhere  :-DD

I started all this a very long time ago to solve some problems. I solved none of them. I did end up with a nice bench full of new kit though. But what good is that if you do nothing with it? So back to old kit and solving problems.  :-+. (first problem is producing some fully active crossover speakers that aren't a complete piece of shit)

Winner at last. New old toy. Surprised to find it's almost new. 46 power cycles (!). Display and encoders feel like it just came out of the box  :-+

Line trigger diag failure is normal on these. Came with some trash probes which I will replace.

Jeezus... you people. Ooohing and ahhhing over a 2-CH 60MHz scope with 2.5k depth and one of the worse LCD displays ever to grace a workbench just because it's a Tek... but when I ask opinions on a HP 100MHz MDO with the same sample rate and 4K depth for $175, y'all pooh-pooh it like it's a steaming pile of dingoes' kidneys.

What. the. FUCK.

I'd like to raise my hand and say that I said nothing back then  :-DD   Yes it's dingos kidneys but it's adequate for the task it's doing :)

Well, fuck. I guess I wasn't fast enough deleting that post; I had the specs mixed up, it was the Hantek HP 54600B I was thinking of; it doesn't have the LA:palm: 

I still think the TDS210 was an overrated steaming pile, m'self; I can pick one up right now for $300 with warranty, or a TDS1002B for $150, and I just can't make myself spend the money. Trying to get any work done with that horrible screen and record length; I know I couldn't look at myself in the mirror if I did it. ESPECIALLY after trying to get work done with that 6022BL.  :P

mnem
*toddles off to do something constructive*
« Last Edit: July 20, 2020, 01:36:26 pm by mnementh »
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #63831 on: July 20, 2020, 01:24:34 pm »

Don’t even try following it. As mentioned literally everything went. Even parts stock. I have no siglent items any more. I’ll describe why on discord in detail at the weekend but not in public. Clue: Don’t ever get married in the UK.

Edit: it hurt to shift the SDS. That as mentioned should always be plan A

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #63832 on: July 20, 2020, 01:27:00 pm »

Don’t even try following it. As mentioned literally everything went. Even parts stock. I have no siglent items any more. I’ll describe why on discord in detail at the weekend but not in public. Clue: Don’t ever get married in the UK.

:(  :'(
Avid Rabid Hobbyist.
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #63833 on: July 20, 2020, 01:33:01 pm »
It will return. I have higher priorities though in the short term hence stop gap TDS210

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #63834 on: July 20, 2020, 01:37:19 pm »

Understood.

I'm feeling really pity for you. All I can do is whishing you and your daughters all the best from my side.

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster, bd139, tonyalbus

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #63835 on: July 20, 2020, 01:39:23 pm »
Here you go bd.... have a little pain:       :-DD

mnem
Just trying to make you feel at home... >:D
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster, bd139

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #63836 on: July 20, 2020, 01:40:31 pm »
Hahahaha thank you both  ;D

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, Specmaster

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #63837 on: July 20, 2020, 01:42:49 pm »
Yep. I think the software test case is actually buggy more than the scope to be honest. I've never seen one that hasn't had that error at some point.

BNCs solid!!
You and your Teks !  :P

I got over them so there's hope for you yet.  :box:  :-DD
Now that made me smile....

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #63838 on: July 20, 2020, 01:49:45 pm »

What. the. FUCK.

I'd like to raise my hand and say that I said nothing back then  :-DD   Yes it's dingos kidneys but it's adequate for the task it's doing :)

Well, fuck. I guess I wasn't fast enough deleting that post; I had the specs mixed up, it was the Hantek HP 54600B I was thinking of; it doesn't have the LA:palm: 

I still think the TDS210 was an overrated steaming pile, m'self; I can pick one up right now for $300 with warranty, or a TDS1002B for $150, and I just can't make myself spend the money. Trying to get any work done with that horrible screen and record length; I know I couldn't look at myself in the mirror if I did it. ESPECIALLY after trying to get work done with that 6022BL.  :P

I've played with a TDS340, and I have to agree with your assessment.

I came to the conclusion that they were the kind of scope that gave digitising scopes a bad name, and why people preferred analogue scopes. Unless I needed single-shot capture, I would much prefer to use something like an HP1740A, or Tek 465. And that's what I got, and more.

I've also got a couple of digitising scopes, but I don't need/use them very often.
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

Offline madao

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #63839 on: July 20, 2020, 01:56:15 pm »

What. the. FUCK.

I've played with a TDS340, and I have to agree with your assessment.

I came to the conclusion that they were the kind of scope that gave digitising scopes a bad name, and why people preferred analogue scopes. Unless I needed single-shot capture, I would much prefer to use something like an HP1740A, or Tek 465. And that's what I got, and more.

I've also got a couple of digitising scopes, but I don't need/use them very often.

I think  same as you, since i have working with  TDS360A on company.  I hate him.   But  .... since i use  TDS540,  analog oscilloscope is  now a dust collector.   Actually  i own   TDS784D and didn't missing analog oscilloscope.   Since few time, i got  a TDS5054B-NV, it is really overkill.

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #63840 on: July 20, 2020, 01:58:29 pm »
In all honesty, I preferred my 2230. Horrible menus as it was a "digi-log" scope, and they were still in the process of figuring out how a digitizing scope SHOULD work at the time. But as a analog scope it was very capable, and if you JUST scrolled through, reading the acquisition contents straight from the screen as if it were a ticker-tape output instead of trying to do the maths we all take for granted nowadays... it was not at all painful. And the screen was just lovely.

mnem
 :-/O
« Last Edit: July 20, 2020, 02:00:37 pm by mnementh »

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #63841 on: July 20, 2020, 02:01:11 pm »
54600 series were best early digital scopes.

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #63842 on: July 20, 2020, 02:33:35 pm »
Yep. I think the software test case is actually buggy more than the scope to be honest. I've never seen one that hasn't had that error at some point.

BNCs solid!!
Mine still only 304 power cycles and 0 errors  :-+
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

The following users thanked this post: bd139

Offline Wolfgang

• Super Contributor
  • Its great if it finally works !
    • Electronic Projects for Fun
« Reply #63843 on: July 20, 2020, 02:37:53 pm »
If you want a cheap counter that actually works, BG7TBL makes quite nice ones up to 6 or 12GHz, and
they have a reasonable sensitivity and a usable timebase plus external reference input.

on its way  8)

When its there tell me how you like it. I cross-check this one against a Keysight 53230A (20ps resolution) and it performed really well.

The following users thanked this post: tonyalbus

Offline tonyalbus

• Frequent Contributor
  • To better understand, you need to open it ;-)
    • My Channel
« Reply #63844 on: July 20, 2020, 02:40:28 pm »
If you want a cheap counter that actually works, BG7TBL makes quite nice ones up to 6 or 12GHz, and
they have a reasonable sensitivity and a usable timebase plus external reference input.

on its way  8)

When its there tell me how you like it. I cross-check this one against a Keysight 53230A (20ps resolution) and it performed really well.

Yes will do, allready received the SG1 but somehow the counter is delayed.. i have the 5 or 8Ghz not the 12.. economic reason ;-) not doing much that high anyway
Electronics enthusiast, TEA and Radio Amateur (PE1ONS)
Marconi  - TTi - Thandar - Thurmbly - HP - Fluke - Philips - Siglent - Owon - TEK - Anritsu - Keithley - AVO - BG7TBL
https://www.youtube.com/TonyAlbus

Offline Wolfgang

• Super Contributor
  • Its great if it finally works !
    • Electronic Projects for Fun
« Reply #63845 on: July 20, 2020, 02:44:56 pm »

on its way  8)

Yes will do, allready received the SG1 but somehow the counter is delayed.. i have the 5 or 8Ghz not the 12.. economic reason ;-) not doing much that high anyway
I also have the low frequency version, I have no other equiment that goes above 9GHz, so for what. Its just a different prescaler, nothing else.

The following users thanked this post: tonyalbus

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #63846 on: July 20, 2020, 02:54:56 pm »
Gah bought another duff fluke for £18. This time an 8060a.  Wish me luck  :-DD. I’m betting on duff electrolytic caps and corrosion and at least it can’t be overvolted  :-DD

Shifted the broken 8050a earlier today.

Repaired this car crash before which was far worse off so fingers crossed:

« Last Edit: July 20, 2020, 03:09:25 pm by bd139 »

The following users thanked this post: BU508A

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #63847 on: July 20, 2020, 03:30:22 pm »
I got up this morning and immediately set about to get some errands done and then returned and took a nap. Now half groggy and drinking a strong coffee I just caught up reading the last 1.5 pages of postings. I am speechless. Got nothing constructive to add but I can tell you that if I'm ever tempted to give into a relationship involving co-habitation I rather shoot myself first.  :o ::) :palm:   
An old gray beard with an attitude.

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, bd139

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #63848 on: July 20, 2020, 03:34:01 pm »
Gah bought another duff fluke for £18. This time an 8060a.  Wish me luck  :-DD. I’m betting on duff electrolytic caps and corrosion and at least it can’t be overvolted  :-DD Shifted the broken 8050a earlier today.
Repaired this car crash before which was far worse off so fingers crossed:
So.... you're justifying one act of dumbassery by presenting a similar example of dumbassery, after selling off yet another example of dumbassery...?  :-DD

mnem

;)

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #63849 on: July 20, 2020, 03:35:04 pm »
I really cannot see why everybody is on bd's back, OK, it's a Tek, etc, but as he has already stated he does have a reason for his actions and also the TDS210 is perfectly adequate for his stated purpose, audio work, even with its crappy digital display and lack of memory depth. Yes, we all know that analogue scopes have a far better display, I have both a Fluke PM3390B 200MHz combiscope and a Tek TDS210, but the TDS210 gets used most because it is quick to switch on, actually sits on my bench so is right in front of me and takes a very small footprint.

If I had bench space like a lot of you have, then I'd probably use the combiscope more, but space prevents it from being the main go to scope. Yes I'd like a colour display etc. but really cannot justify the cost, so the TDS210 suits me just fine, and I daresay bd can identify with a lot of that as well.  :-+ 
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf