Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 17750195 times)

Vince, TERRA Operative and 113 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #63800 on: July 19, 2020, 09:00:39 pm »
Noted... investigated... instigated... inappropriate comments left as so clearly needed.  >:D

mnem
« Last Edit: July 19, 2020, 09:09:53 pm by mnementh »
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

The following users thanked this post: BU508A, Specmaster, bd139, 0culus

Offline mansaxel

• Super Contributor
  • SA0XLR
    • My very static home page
« Reply #63801 on: July 19, 2020, 09:25:14 pm »
There must be something to recapping. Now I've solved another problem in my Studer 169 desk, just by swapping out electrolytics.

The Foldback and Reverb metering circuits are powered from the positive/negative 15V bus bars, and have a 100µF electrolytic per leg to ground. Both meters pegged on power-on and stayed like that. Audio output was nominal. I swapped out the electrolytics, and Foldback came back with no problem and a working meter, but Reverb did not react to signal.

They're fed from the outputs of the transformer driving the XLR on the back, and through some resistors to another transformer. Just for unbalancing the metering circuit! Serious. This in turn drives one side of a 4556 (one half per channel) whose outputs are rectified by diode bridges and feed the meter movements. Very conservative and standard circuit. Now, I could get 4V AC 1KHz on the XLRs by going full Spinal Tap on the gain, and that same voltage showed up in the meter bridge connector. But the mating connector had a cold solder joint. Once fixed, I've got my metering back. Now I just need to recap the rest of the modules (I've recapped where I've had modules out for other problems, so far) and devise something for the toggle switches that frequently need reminders that there are patterns to them conducting current, not randomness.

The build quality of this desk is something really extra. All pots and all switches are wired to the PCBs with short lengths of flexible wire, and there are quick-disconnects on the PCB for these wires.  It is a joy to work on, even though I've found two errors in the manual already.

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline Neomys Sapiens

• Super Contributor
« Reply #63803 on: July 19, 2020, 09:35:34 pm »
I have already stated that the THM560 did get me interested in the THM565 Tekmeter. Because of the added capabilities and, preferably, with the RS-232 interface. Now there was one offered - and no data regarding the interface. Until I had a closer look at the second picture.  ;D
Also. I snagged a gaussmeter from Lake Shore Cryotronics for a mere 85.-. This comes handy, as I have to check some magnet field strenghts.
1026800-0
1026792-1
1026796-2
« Last Edit: July 19, 2020, 09:37:17 pm by Neomys Sapiens »

The following users thanked this post: Kosmic

Offline mansaxel

• Super Contributor
  • SA0XLR
« Reply #63804 on: July 19, 2020, 09:51:52 pm »
   https://reverb.com/ca/item/30447376-studer-169-fully-restored-recapped-and-serviced

mnem

That is a similar, but not exactly same desk. Meters on that one are PPM, alternatively aftermarket. Mine are original VU. Other than that, the feature set and channel composition are the same. One could order them with stereo line input modules for radio work et c; also with RIAA preamps, but those are quite rare, because most people using this console in a DJ setup were connecting Technics SL1000 or EMT turntables that come with integrated RIAA preamp in the plinth. I've got one of those (SL1000) too. Think of the SL1000 as a Very Expensive Grown-Up Older Brother of the SL1200.

Edit: I only looked at the link you gave, mnem, after I'd written most of above. Yes, I know it is a highly sought-after desk, but I'm going to work it, not sell it. Like my TE, I've got it to be used, not to be in a museum, and not (primarily) as an investment. 

Besides, people tend to rip out the input modules and stuff them in pairs to a 2HE rack box, with a PSU, and flog them on the Bay, claiming that this will make your recordings sell platinum. Simply because it is Vintage. Yeah, right. Them preamps are good, but they're just 2 BC550 and a BC560, after a pretty OK transformer. With Tants. The transformer can be subbed by a Lundahl or Jensen (still made, and in lots of varieties) and the rest is a $30 BOM on Mouser, not counting hardware. Ok, if you want the EQ, there's some inductor magic, but, still.

Currently, I've gone full teenage sound person again, and have collected a fat shopping cart at Thomann with bits and bobs to help me do even better gigs with the desk. This is what I wanted to do in life, and I tried quite hard to make it happen, until say 1998, when I discovered that not only were there open positions for network engineers, they paid well, and every month at that.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2020, 10:16:32 pm by mansaxel »

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #63805 on: July 19, 2020, 10:19:23 pm »
Noted... investigated... instigated... inappropriate comments left as so clearly needed.  >:D

mnem

Me three.
An old gray beard with an attitude.

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, bd139

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #63806 on: July 19, 2020, 10:44:21 pm »
   https://reverb.com/ca/item/30447376-studer-169-fully-restored-recapped-and-serviced

mnem

People pay silly money for Studer gear. It was good in its day, but truthfully nothing special. It gave an impression of being reliable, becuase Studer were good at metalwork so it had that 'solid' look and feel, but the reliability of Studer's electronics could be iffy at times. The mechanical skill did count when it came to  their tape drives, where it arguably made them the best there were, if you could cope with the occasional 2N3055 going up in smoke.

Where I worked (part time) we had a Studer 16 track like this one (that's the commoner 24 track version),

but paired it with an MCI console like this one:

because it cost 1/2 what a similar sized Studer would have, had much more flexibility/facilities and was much, much more reliable. The desk never died that I am aware of, the 16 track Studer died in front of me once, and the 8 track Studer in the demo studio also died once when I was on the premises. The studio manager/owner (a German Tonmeister) had experience with Studer desks and said it was a gamble he wasn't going to make with his own money.
Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline themadhippy

• Super Contributor
« Reply #63807 on: July 19, 2020, 10:57:28 pm »
and have collected a fat shopping cart at Thomann with bits and bobs to help me do even better gigs with the desk.
A desk of that age and pedigree deserves vintage martin 115's ,philishaves and  jbl horns,all run off amcron amps ,or  maybe some tony andrews era turbosound  if your feeling really silly a stack of court black boxes

Offline mansaxel

• Super Contributor
  • SA0XLR
« Reply #63808 on: July 19, 2020, 11:14:38 pm »
and have collected a fat shopping cart at Thomann with bits and bobs to help me do even better gigs with the desk.
A desk of that age and pedigree deserves vintage martin 115's ,philishaves and  jbl horns,all run off amcron amps ,or  maybe some tony andrews era turbosound  if your feeling really silly a stack of court black boxes

Of those, I'd only be prepared to endure the blue stuff. I've done a bit on Floodlight and some smaller TMS systems. Amazing speakers, but a pain to array. We had a pretty substantial ASS 3-way horn system where I worked for some years, which I got pretty good at driving, but I'm in no way nostalgic over that. I like the UPA-1 and the USW-1, best Meyer boxes ever, only the UPA does not array very well.. Also, EAW before Mackie bought them was really good. When the good (as opposed to copycat) line arrays showed up, especially V-DOSC, they really changed things for the better. Grumpy old bin fans can say what they want.  :-DD

Finally, I'm only aiming for mix, fx, drive and microphones. I've got no interest in storing stacks and racks. Unless small PA companies gone titsup in Corona times practically give their stuff away.

Offline Neomys Sapiens

• Super Contributor
« Reply #63809 on: July 19, 2020, 11:15:42 pm »
This a strange shape for a potatoe!

You are J. Danforth Quayle and I claim my five pounds!

Isn't it sad that we've reached a state of affairs where something like being unable to spell potato in one of the world's most senior politicians is so minor compared to their other manifest failings that it would no longer be worthy of comment.
I don't care much about it as long as you don't think you are getting them from me!

Offline themadhippy

• Super Contributor
« Reply #63810 on: July 19, 2020, 11:37:43 pm »
Also, EAW before Mackie bought them was really good.
kf650's and 528's was the last proper box system i  toured regularly,that was a lovley rig.
. I've done a bit on Floodlight and some smaller TMS systems. Amazing speakers,
could tell a story about a very early demo rig of flashligh at a press launch ,there might have been the odd box without drivers :-X
If your ever in the market for a small rig have a look at the inspired audio (chris scott ex logic systems) optima 5,theres no way such a tiny stack should make that much noise.

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #63811 on: July 20, 2020, 03:46:51 am »

Self-inflicted I think, stop listening to all those wanna enablers, you know what you want and you want it, if you can afford, even if it is the thrift store, you also know that you can add bloody value to it, so buy it, do it, use it, and when the time comes, flip it and move upwards bit by bit, stop being a dragon fly and be a real dragon again, we want our lovable Dwagon back again.  ::)

Who's "we"? You got a mouse in your pocket?  >:D :P ;D
Mouse is no bait for dwagon, you need something at least as a big as a sheep  :-DD

Naaaah... just some great big toasted-dark everything bagels with 1/2 inch of cream cheese flumped inside. Incidentally, two of which from Tim Horton's was my "binge day" breakfast this morning.   >:D

Day was all planned; had Canadian-style pizza (all the usual meats plus ham & bacon) for lunch, and pulled-pork-on-everything-bagel sandwiches for dinner. Then flumped on the couch and bloated until I ran out of Dirk Gently, and it was time for ice cream and apple pie.  >:D

mnem
Eat a SHEEP...? *blerk!* Like eating a 150-lb Q-tip... dipped in lanolin.

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #63812 on: July 20, 2020, 07:55:41 am »
Ebay prices are getting really stupid at the moment, Ice-Tea has this in his eBay shop, with 3 hours 50 mins to go still https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/143656068297?ul_noapp=true its already hit £129 plus another £18 P&P to the UK, sold as spares / repair, not working  :wtf: Makes me wonder if I should be selling my complete and fully working 8842A and how much would that fetch?
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline mansaxel

• Super Contributor
  • SA0XLR
« Reply #63813 on: July 20, 2020, 08:05:16 am »
Also, EAW before Mackie bought them was really good.
kf650's and 528's was the last proper box system i  toured regularly,that was a lovley rig.
. I've done a bit on Floodlight and some smaller TMS systems. Amazing speakers,
could tell a story about a very early demo rig of flashligh at a press launch ,there might have been the odd box without drivers :-X
If your ever in the market for a small rig have a look at the inspired audio (chris scott ex logic systems) optima 5,theres no way such a tiny stack should make that much noise.

I must say that the live sound market has really come forward by leaps and bounds. The "Turbosound" (there is nothing Tony Andrews at all in it) iQ12 is, frankly, amazing, especially at the price point. Despite that Behringer owns them, despite the plastic, despite pretty much everything we in the "pro" market used to sneeze at. It is loud, clear and cheap. And, you can carry it in one hand, short stretches.

Then, of course, their networking and big systems integration is lacking. But those are flaws you'll see all the way up to the true high end of live audio. <rant>This mostly is because everyone has bought the Audinate bullshit story, hook, line and sinker. DANTE is a bad protocol, conceived by people who can't tell a router from a switch.</rant> We hates it. We do.

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #63814 on: July 20, 2020, 08:17:49 am »
Ebay prices are getting really stupid at the moment, Ice-Tea has this in his eBay shop, with 3 hours 50 mins to go still https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/143656068297?ul_noapp=true its already hit £129 plus another £18 P&P to the UK, sold as spares / repair, not working  :wtf: Makes me wonder if I should be selling my complete and fully working 8842A and how much would that fetch?

That is quite frankly insane.

When you see TDS220 going for £220 as well then it makes sense to skip that and pay another 100 quid for something brand new  :-//

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster, TorinoFermic

Offline tonyalbus

• Frequent Contributor
  • To better understand, you need to open it ;-)
    • My Channel
« Reply #63815 on: July 20, 2020, 08:20:07 am »
If you want a cheap counter that actually works, BG7TBL makes quite nice ones up to 6 or 12GHz, and
they have a reasonable sensitivity and a usable timebase plus external reference input.

on its way  8)
Electronics enthusiast, TEA and Radio Amateur (PE1ONS)
Marconi  - TTi - Thandar - Thurmbly - HP - Fluke - Philips - Siglent - Owon - TEK - Anritsu - Keithley - AVO - BG7TBL
https://www.youtube.com/TonyAlbus

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #63816 on: July 20, 2020, 08:36:14 am »

When you see TDS220 going for £220 as well then it makes sense to skip that and pay another 100 quid for something brand new  :-//
Totally agree, the used price advantage is completely destroyed with stupid prices like that.  :scared:
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #63817 on: July 20, 2020, 08:39:31 am »

I'll let Bugs Bunny speak for this:

Edit:
Gone. For ca. 188 Euro / 171 GBP. 

Congrats Ice-Tea.  :)

« Last Edit: July 20, 2020, 11:49:56 am by BU508A »
“Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought. It always defeats order, because it is better organized.”            - Terry Pratchett -

The following users thanked this post: Carl_Smith, med6753, mnementh, Specmaster, bd139, FransW, AVGresponding, TorinoFermic, tonyalbus

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #63818 on: July 20, 2020, 12:28:44 pm »
I'm a total bastard when it comes to this shit... as far as I'm concerned (and used to be the well-known rubric for almost any consumer goods), "That new [insert technological doodad here] smell" is worth half the purchase price of new. If I'm not getting that and the manufacturer's warranty, it better be half the lowest sale price I've seen lately or I'm not even gonna look twice. From THAT point, I start deducting for cosmetic and functional flaws based on what I think it'll cost to fix or what I can salvage from it.

When I worked the "Recycled Consumer Electronics" trade, I was even worse; I told people right up front "I can offer 1/3 to 1/2 what I can sell it for if it's working 100%; 10% if not. No, I don't need any more BOSS or ACOUSTIK amplifiers; they go straight in the recycling bin. No, I will not just fix it for you; I'm in the resale biz, I'm not a repair shop."

Surprisingly a large number of people appreciated this straightforward approach, and about half of those who stalked off in a huff came back later.

mnem

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #63819 on: July 20, 2020, 12:33:27 pm »
Winner at last. New old toy. Surprised to find it's almost new. 46 power cycles (!). Display and encoders feel like it just came out of the box  :-+

Line trigger diag failure is normal on these.

Came with some trash probes which I will replace.

The following users thanked this post: BU508A, med6753, Specmaster, Kosmic, TorinoFermic, tonyalbus

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #63820 on: July 20, 2020, 12:36:57 pm »

Line trigger diag failure is normal on these.

Opto ain't it ?

Edit
Easy on the BNC's big boy !  :P
Avid Rabid Hobbyist.
Some stuff seen @ Siglent HQ cannot be shared.

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #63821 on: July 20, 2020, 12:37:56 pm »
Yep. I think the software test case is actually buggy more than the scope to be honest. I've never seen one that hasn't had that error at some point.

BNCs solid!!

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #63822 on: July 20, 2020, 12:39:39 pm »
Yep. I think the software test case is actually buggy more than the scope to be honest. I've never seen one that hasn't had that error at some point.

BNCs solid!!
You and your Teks !  :P

I got over them so there's hope for you yet.  :box:  :-DD
Avid Rabid Hobbyist.

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, Specmaster, bd139

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #63823 on: July 20, 2020, 12:41:09 pm »
Yeah. Shame about that 454. It's still up but I can't drive to get it :(

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #63824 on: July 20, 2020, 12:54:03 pm »
Yeah. Shame about that 454. It's still up but I can't drive to get it :(
I was really meaning getting back on the Tek wagon again but at least this time it's a bit more modern than all the 465's etc you've had through your hands.

So is this one just flipping bangers/burgers ?
For those trying to follow along:
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt10219442/
Avid Rabid Hobbyist.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf