Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 16949622 times)

JimboJack and 171 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #63700 on: July 18, 2020, 03:44:34 pm »
Good luck with the repair of that one.
Can you replace the transformer easily or is some special unobtainium part?

You can get a replacement for £25 but it looks like the -10v tail was overvolted which is bad juju on the analogue front. That is directly derived from proportional mains voltage so kapoof.

As much as I want to throw the time into this one it’s a big and expensive project. I’ve verified that the CPU and display work nicely so I’m going to just bounce it honestly as a set of plastics and a new display module. There are plenty of working ones with knackered displays and plastics and this would be a fine set of parts for them. 100% the best outcome.

:'(

Time to start shopping the Bay of Evil for one with a visibly borked LCD for a little thoracic transplant surgery, I fear.  :-\

Okay, so why not do the above and feel the love yourself? We both know that is an unusually clean specimen... THAT is something rare, and worth spending a little money if you like the meter.

mnem
 :popcorn:
« Last Edit: July 18, 2020, 03:50:53 pm by mnementh »
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #63701 on: July 18, 2020, 03:47:06 pm »
100%. Ranks below my ex on things I’ll go near again

So you take the ex back and then go back to Ham ?  sound like a plan  ;D
Might actually work out to be cheaper in the long run though, now that you're aware  :o
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, bd139, Kosmic

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #63702 on: July 18, 2020, 04:01:21 pm »
Anybody fixed a DSLR in the past ?

My Canon 5D just died. Don't want to power up anymore. I was watching some disassembly videos and man it look like it's a pain. They are normally super complex with tons of screws and mechanical parts.

I'm wondering if I should try a repair or simply put it on ebay sold as-is/forparts.

B&H Photo. Canon Service. My research on a similar problem with a EOS Rebel indicated to try the usual "remove ALL batteries, including the clock battery, let it sit overnight" routine... if no joy, expect $200-300 repair bill from Canon if it's the PSU (common failure on the EOS Rebel, evidently).

EDIT: A quick Gurrgle showed some mention of a microswitch on the battery door. Might be worth looking for; see if it's jammed up/probe with a toothpick. :-//

mnem
 :-BROKE
« Last Edit: July 18, 2020, 04:09:07 pm by mnementh »
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

The following users thanked this post: Kosmic

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #63703 on: July 18, 2020, 04:06:01 pm »
Edit: BTW - the IEC mains connector is Schaffner branded. Rifa timebombs inside?
   I opened up one of the Schaffner connectors from my Tek scopes & found two WIMA MP3 capacitors instead, these are also paper based. The markings were missing from the white capacitor.

David

The problem is you don't know what's inside any particular Schaffner filter until you take it apart; which, as you can see, is a pretty destructive affair.  :palm:

mnem
*tzzt.*
« Last Edit: July 18, 2020, 04:11:06 pm by mnementh »

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #63704 on: July 18, 2020, 04:25:44 pm »

You can get a replacement for £25 but it looks like the -10v tail was overvolted which is bad juju on the analogue front. That is directly derived from proportional mains voltage so kapoof.

As much as I want to throw the time into this one it’s a big and expensive project. I’ve verified that the CPU and display work nicely so I’m going to just bounce it honestly as a set of plastics and a new display module. There are plenty of working ones with knackered displays and plastics and this would be a fine set of parts for them. 100% the best outcome.

Time to start shopping the Bay of Evil for one with a visibly borked LCD for a little thoracic transplant surgery, I fear.  :-\

Okay, so why not do the above and feel the love yourself? We both know that is an unusually clean specimen... THAT is something rare, and worth spending a little money if you like the meter.

mnem

Can't be arsed. I have a few projects I want to get done and completed actually using the test gear and that means not collecting too many other ones. This was a low risk "bounce it if it doesn't work" item.

Edit: unlikely to be on discord this evening. Arm hurts too much and I'm quite frankly dead at the moment so will probably just go to bed. Back next week :)
« Last Edit: July 18, 2020, 04:28:42 pm by bd139 »

Offline Saskia

• Super Contributor
  • you unlock this door with the key of imagination
« Reply #63705 on: July 18, 2020, 05:00:54 pm »
depending on your location and the item in question Canon may have a flat fee repair service. They charged me 100 flat for repairing an ef 24-105 STM which I accidentally dropped (1.5 m drop) while in Pearl Harbor.
Took them an incredible 3 day turn around, and the lens was pretty beaten up.

It never hurts to check their professional website, and if you register your stuff you may get a decent repair discount.
Of course I could also interest you in my 5D II which I have sitting around, I am mostly using my 50D.

The following users thanked this post: Kosmic

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #63706 on: July 18, 2020, 05:35:25 pm »

mnem

Agree with you 100% here, that is why I stuck at the 4503 recently, I knew that I was very unlikely to come across another that was so clean, hell it was only the 2nd I'd come across in 4 years. Now I'm glad I decided to stick at it, I love this meter and its the only one that looks as if it is brand new on my bench apart from, incidently, the other meter from that group, the 1905A.
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #63707 on: July 18, 2020, 05:39:16 pm »
depending on your location and the item in question Canon may have a flat fee repair service. They charged me 100 flat for repairing an ef 24-105 STM which I accidentally dropped (1.5 m drop) while in Pearl Harbor.

It never hurts to check their professional website, and if you register your stuff you may get a decent repair discount.
Of course I could also interest you in my 5D II which I have sitting around, I am mostly using my 50D.

What is with the 5D II that makes you prefer to use the 50D?  I have a 50D and also a almost new 7D but its the 50D that I feel is the better all round camera producing better colour balance and sharper images.
Who let Murphy in?

Offline McBryce

• Super Contributor
« Reply #63708 on: July 18, 2020, 05:40:36 pm »
I won't be in Discord this evening, picture related. Barbeque party at colleague from work. Have fun!

It says non-alcoholic on that packaging. Turning up sober to any discord meeting is already putting you on the side of the minority. :D

McBryce.
30 Years making cars more difficult to repair.

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, Neomys Sapiens

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #63709 on: July 18, 2020, 05:41:22 pm »
I won't be on Discord later either. Going to visit Daughter for a cook out.
An old gray beard with an attitude.

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #63710 on: July 18, 2020, 05:51:05 pm »
Have had to skip the 454 pick up. Seller was understanding and has relisted. Unfortunately it would be stupid as hell to drive at the moment with my arm and I’m not that stupid :'(.

If anyone wants it it’s in Aylesbury and is 55 quid for a classic. Search for “tektronics”. Won’t show up in usual search. It is the fastest fully discrete (no ICs!) oscilloscope ever made.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2020, 05:55:44 pm by bd139 »

Offline Kosmic

• Super Contributor
« Reply #63711 on: July 18, 2020, 06:11:07 pm »
Anybody fixed a DSLR in the past ?

My Canon 5D just died. Don't want to power up anymore. I was watching some disassembly videos and man it look like it's a pain. They are normally super complex with tons of screws and mechanical parts.

I'm wondering if I should try a repair or simply put it on ebay sold as-is/forparts.

B&H Photo. Canon Service. My research on a similar problem with a EOS Rebel indicated to try the usual "remove ALL batteries, including the clock battery, let it sit overnight" routine... if no joy, expect $200-300 repair bill from Canon if it's the PSU (common failure on the EOS Rebel, evidently).

EDIT: A quick Gurrgle showed some mention of a microswitch on the battery door. Might be worth looking for; see if it's jammed up/probe with a toothpick. :-//

mnem
 :-BROKE

Thank you for the info. I tried playing with the battery door switch and it's no go. I think it's the power supply. A 200-300$ repair is more than the residual value of the camera.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2020, 06:14:24 pm by Kosmic »

Offline Kosmic

• Super Contributor
« Reply #63712 on: July 18, 2020, 06:13:17 pm »

I think my old 5D is just too old for repair. I got a excellent price on a 5Ds. Should be coming in next week. Hello 50 megapixel!  ;D

Offline Saskia

• Super Contributor
  • you unlock this door with the key of imagination
« Reply #63713 on: July 18, 2020, 07:03:29 pm »

What is with the 5D II that makes you prefer to use the 50D?  I have a 50D and also a almost new 7D but its the 50D that I feel is the better all round camera producing better colour balance and sharper images.

50D vs 7D: agreed-

I have the 50D with a Sigma 18-200 and it is my everyday camera when travelling or doing stuff for ebay or similar tasks.
I also have the 5D II with the 17-40L, the 28-105L IS USM, 28-105 STM, 70-200 F4L is-USM and the Tamron 150 - 600 ...
The problem I have is that I do not have time or space or travel allowance to lug around about 6 - 7 kg of equipment.
The 50D has an integrated flash that I am using all of the time, whereas I need an external flash with the 5DII (Otherwise I might be using it more, with the 28-105 STM ...

TBH it's lazyness paired with practicality. Given the fact that my life apparently hates me I just feel that I currently don't care about any better image quality or raws or more MPs, because I don't have any time to work with those photos anyway.
I don't get into any areas where the better image quality of the 5D would count. So the hassle to quality factor is currently heavily tilting towards my 50D. And I would go ahead and just buy another one if it went kaboom.

Offline AVGresponding

• Super Contributor
  • Exploring Rabbit Holes Since The 1970s
« Reply #63714 on: July 18, 2020, 07:54:38 pm »
Discord is up   :popcorn:
nuqDaq yuch Dapol?
Addiction count: Agilent-AVO-BlackStar-Brymen-Chauvin Arnoux-Fluke-GenRad-Hameg-HP-Keithley-IsoTech-Mastech-Megger-Metrix-Micronta-Racal-RFL-Siglent-Solartron-Tektronix-Thurlby-Time Electronics-TTi-UniT

Offline Wolfgang

• Super Contributor
  • Its great if it finally works !
    • Electronic Projects for Fun
« Reply #63715 on: July 18, 2020, 08:14:31 pm »
enlighten me - discord ?

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #63716 on: July 18, 2020, 08:29:18 pm »
enlighten me - discord ?
Its real time chat room where you can use either speech or keyboard to join in with other members who are on line every Saturday from 21:00 UTC Here is a link to it. https://discord.gg/GhVwvaB The general language is English as it is widest spread one.
Who let Murphy in?

The following users thanked this post: Wolfgang

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #63717 on: July 18, 2020, 08:31:46 pm »
Discord is up   :popcorn:
Yep, OK, just gotta a few things to sort first and then I'll be on later.
Who let Murphy in?

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #63718 on: July 18, 2020, 11:35:51 pm »

I think my old 5D is just too old for repair. I got a excellent price on a 5Ds. Should be coming in next week. Hello 50 megapixel!  ;D

If I weren't busy packing and getting my iPad ready to send to my dad... I'd be all up in that. My daily driver is a cracked-up DSC-H2; would love to see the insides of something semi-modern.

Currently trying to whip out the backlog in my repair queue; properly triage the accumulated crap so I know what's NCE to repair so it can go down the road or scrapped out.

Actually made productive use of the Hantek 6022BE; yes it CAN actually be used for diag work. PITA to set up, slow as FUCK both in UI and refresh... but I was able to track a low-speed signal back to the CPU on this curb-score 40" Samsung TV, and to confirm it was signal generated by the CPU and not noise coming from the IR sensor.

What it was NOT good for was power-rail noise characterization, something the 2465 excels at; this thing is DC ONLY.  :palm: I made a tiny decoupling probe of bits of resistor lead coiled up to fit the probe tip and a 1uF ceramic cap; it was good enough to satisfy myself that there was no appreciable noise on the 3.3V power rail feeding the CPU and the IR transistor.

I fucking need a real scope.  |O

mnem
*punt!*
« Last Edit: July 20, 2020, 03:50:33 am by mnementh »

Offline Neomys Sapiens

• Super Contributor
« Reply #63719 on: July 18, 2020, 11:51:09 pm »
Gah if anyone sees this don’t buy it https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/233653337978

Check the description for why  :palm:

Incidentally I’m getting my 8050a today apparently  8). My arm is bloody useless for unscrewing stuff though so I may delegate opening it to my eldest. She needs to learn anyway  :-DD
Now this is laudable. Does that girl have tools already? And we all know where this is leading...

Offline Neomys Sapiens

• Super Contributor
« Reply #63720 on: July 18, 2020, 11:53:08 pm »

If I weren't busy packing and getting my iPad ready to send to my dad... I'd be all up in that. My daily driver is a cracked-up DSC-H2; would love to see the insides of something semi-modern.

Currently trying to whip out the backlog in my repair queue; properly triage the accumulated crap so I know what's NCE to repair so it can go down the road or scrapped out.

Actually made productive use of the Hantek 6022BE; yes it CAN actually be used for diag work. PITA to set up, slow as FUCK both in UI and refresh... but I was able to track a low-speed signal back to the CPU on this curb-score 40" Samsung TV, and to confirm it was signal generated by the CPU and not noise coming from the IR sensor.

What it was NOT good for was power-rail noise characterization, something the 2465 excels at; this thing is DC ONLY.  :palm: I made a tiny decoupling probe of bits of resistor lead coiled up to fit the probe tip and a 1uF ceramic cap; it was good enough to satisfy myself that there was no appreciable noise on the 3.3V power rail feeding the CPU and the IR transistor.

mnem
*punt!*
This a strange shape for a potatoe!

Offline TorinoFermic

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #63721 on: July 19, 2020, 12:57:35 am »
Quote from: mnementh on Today at 19:35:51
How in the hell, you never did buy a used scope !  :o
Only the full heaven you get is through the viewport of a scope.

Offline 0culus

• Super Contributor
  • Electronics, RF, and TEA Hobbyist
« Reply #63722 on: July 19, 2020, 01:49:19 am »
Here's the 585A showing a stable trigger on a signal more than twice the datasheet bandwidth for the 585A + type 82 plugin system.  :-+ Yes, it's way rolled off, but it's rock stable.

The following users thanked this post: med6753, syau, tonyalbus

Offline SilverSolder

• Super Contributor
« Reply #63723 on: July 19, 2020, 01:50:31 am »
Quote from: mnementh on Today at 19:35:51
How in the hell, you never did buy a used scope !  :o
Only the full heaven you get is through the viewport of a scope.

You are beginning to see The Truth! :D

Offline worsthorse

• Super Contributor
  • aina varma, usein väärin
« Reply #63724 on: July 19, 2020, 01:56:34 am »
Yaesu menus were bloody awful. I wouldn’t blame that on your brain  :-DD

That is why I have an FT-1000 MP.  NO MENUS  :-DD

I bought an FT1000D for the same reason.   ;D
specialization is for insects.

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, bd139

Share me