Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 17491981 times)

Offline MathWizard

• Super Contributor
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #62000 on: June 28, 2020, 03:02:08 am »
Ok maybe 6-1/2d meters are not as expensive as I thought, but it was only a few years ago I was thinking a $50 DMM as a good idea.

The price curve gets pretty steep. But if I can afford the Keysight 34465A, is that really their 2nd best DMM (at least thats 2-ch??) The 33470A is 7-1/2d. And Fluke doesn't really have much at that level, but they own Keithley?, and just have them make them ??

So if you had the money, what are the actual best 6-1/2d meters ? If my budget is that close to the top level DMMs already, that's great.

I used to buy the 2nd-3rd best gaming CPU/GPU's. So I should not worry about getting a top level DMM
« Last Edit: June 28, 2020, 03:06:58 am by MathWizard »

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
  • Toys so very many Toys.
« Reply #62001 on: June 28, 2020, 03:08:03 am »
Ok maybe 6-1/2d meters are not as expensive as I thought, but it was only a few years ago I was thinking a $50 DMM as a good idea.

The price curve gets pretty steep. But if I afford the Keysight 34465A, is that really their 2nd best DMM (at least thats 2-ch??) The 33470A is 7-1/2d. And Fluke doesn't really have much at that level, but they own Keithley?, and just have them make them ??

So if you had the money, what are the actual best 6-1/2d meters ? If my budget is that close to the top level DMMs already, that's great.

Lots of topics out there some extra long too.

Depends on what YOU need from a meter, not what Someone else TELLS you what you need  ;) Very happy with my few including an Keysight 34461A and a 34401A. The 34401A is the more stable of the two. As to the 34465A make sure the $ spend is worth it FOR YOU.
Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

Offline Neomys Sapiens

• Super Contributor
« Reply #62002 on: June 28, 2020, 03:17:20 am »

The price curve gets pretty steep. But if I can afford the Keysight 34465A, is that really their 2nd best DMM (at least thats 2-ch??) The 33470A is 7-1/2d. And Fluke doesn't really have much at that level, but they own Keithley?, and just have them make them ??

I used to buy the 2nd-3rd best gaming CPU/GPU's. So I should not worry about getting a top level DMM
Keithley is owned by Tektronix.

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #62003 on: June 28, 2020, 03:17:50 am »
I just realized it's Saturday evening and I completely forgot about Discord.  :palm:

See, when you're retired everyday is "Saturday".  ;D I love not having to live by the clock/calendar.  :-+

But there might be a touch of old age forgetfulness here too.  :o :-DD
An old gray beard with an attitude.

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #62004 on: June 28, 2020, 03:30:58 am »
Huh. Tried the new PG502 again and it did not become better in the meantime.
But the one I got first as 'defective' is actually the one less shot up.
I took a fuse from the new one to replace the one blown and it did not blow.
No power light, but the amplitude controls work as advertised.
At 100MHz, it works in a way that is consistent with what one expects of a pulse generator.
At 250MHz, it outputs something with a frequency around 250MHz.
I think I will proceed with this one. That would mean that I can't complain about the recent one (which I bought as 'working'),because I need the parts.

Why on earth would THAT stop you from griping...? It is LITERALLY the REASON for this place!!!  :-DD

mnem
*toddles off to brew a jug of iced TEA*
Complain to the seller.

Okay... complain to the seller. He can join in the fun too!  :-DD

mnem
 ;)
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
« Reply #62005 on: June 28, 2020, 03:46:02 am »
Game Fiends

Doom Eternal is 50% off on Steam and Halo Master Chief is 20% off. Mmmm Food, 100W Laser Tube or Games ........ Couldn't find any TEA worth buying.
Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, wolfy007

Offline TorinoFermic

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #62006 on: June 28, 2020, 04:10:36 am »
Game Fiends

Doom Eternal is 50% off on Steam and Halo Master Chief is 20% off. Mmmm Food, 100W Laser Tube or Games ........ Couldn't find any TEA worth buying.
There's a great sale with Sonic Generations Collection https://store.steampowered.com/app/71340/Sonic_Generations_Collection/

Offline VK5RC

• Supporter
« Reply #62007 on: June 28, 2020, 07:16:01 am »
Tempted to buy this Heretical Text and hold a Solo Book Burning  >:D eBay auction: #333627645618

Hmmm. Is it pro RPN or pro knuckledraerr I mean algebraic?   :-DD

I think it some sort of Ill conceived Conversion Text and as it deviates from BODMAS/BOMDAS I was Taught it is clearly a Heresy and needs to be shown the Instruments and then burnt at the stake  ;D

So like the Gutenberg Bible of calculating...  :box:

If you want to See RPN as Single piece hand cranked typesetting then yes maybe it is  :-DD
Doesn't that make a simple algebraic calculator the equivalent of hand written text on bound leather in Latin?
Whoah! Watch where that landed we might need it later.

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
« Reply #62008 on: June 28, 2020, 07:20:24 am »
Tempted to buy this Heretical Text and hold a Solo Book Burning  >:D eBay auction: #333627645618

Hmmm. Is it pro RPN or pro knuckledraerr I mean algebraic?   :-DD

I think it some sort of Ill conceived Conversion Text and as it deviates from BODMAS/BOMDAS I was Taught it is clearly a Heresy and needs to be shown the Instruments and then burnt at the stake  ;D

So like the Gutenberg Bible of calculating...  :box:

If you want to See RPN as Single piece hand cranked typesetting then yes maybe it is  :-DD
Doesn't that make a simple algebraic calculator the equivalent of hand written text on bound leather in Latin?

Thus making it 'closer' to the Real Word unlike the bastardised translations and perversions that followed creating RPN  :box:

Offline Ero-Shan

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #62009 on: June 28, 2020, 08:23:45 am »
Here we go ...

34 metric kilograms in a somewhat awkward to carry case that I needed to haul 2 storeys up first. My back is kaputt since 19 years already; this didn't really help.  :(

It's a Fluke 5101B, complete with the tape drive:

What it did not have, like so many of its TE brethren, were its feet. Amputated, as usual. :( This proper boat anchor (43 x 22 x 60 cm³) will not sit on my new workbench without feet! They're not perfect, but adequate for the job. 1

DC and Ohms are working, albeit not spot-on. AC is completely dead. The knob for the error encoder is missing. As I'm not too concerned with everything being original, that's a non-problem. The fan grill is also absent, I'm sure I have something that'll fit.

Of course, there's no chance I will ever get that thing calibrated. There might not even be a chance I get the AC section repaired (lucky me, I already have that YEW AC calibrator!). But I do have stable DC voltages upto 1 kV now. :)

And a Y5000 interface/buffer (which I highly doubt I'll ever need).

---------------------------
1 At its final resting place, it will not need any feet: the cart it is going to is only 76 cm wide. It can't really take to 43 cm wide instruments side-by-side. Unless they sit on their bellies, hanging over a few centimeters. The boat-anchor next to it is the Anritsu MG3633A signal generator. As it happens, also with missing feet.

The following users thanked this post: xrunner, edavid, BU508A, med6753, mnementh, capt bullshot, bd139, beanflying, Kosmic, tonyalbus

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #62010 on: June 28, 2020, 08:59:46 am »
True boat anchor material!!

I admire your fortitude.  :-+

Offline capt bullshot

• Super Contributor
    • Mostly useless stuff, but nice to have: wunderkis.de
« Reply #62011 on: June 28, 2020, 09:01:29 am »
Here we go ...

34 metric kilograms ...
Yes, I remember lifting such a beast from the cellar to the new lab right under the roof. Don't mention that here, Saskia might ask for help moving Pinballs around ;) Anyway, the Anritsu MG3633A are 29kg AFAIR, and we (DC1MC and I) did five of them ;)

It's a Fluke 5101B ...
Well known to me (not yours), a boat anchor and piece of TEA one needs to have, the more modern ones are still not affordable, though a 5500A (what would be my next piece of TEA to dream of) is quite an old bloke today.

DC and Ohms are working, albeit not spot-on. AC is completely dead. The knob for the error encoder is missing. As I'm not too concerned with everything being original, that's a non-problem. The fan grill is also absent, I'm sure I have something that'll fit.

A known-good 34401A would be enough for checking the performance, and calibration of the DC 10V to a reasonable (not perfect) accuracy. My 5100B shows 10V within 40ppm on all my 6 1/2 digit multimeters.
You should check the > 20V (e.g. @ 100V) ranges for stability, mine has a way higher low frequency noise in these ranges than in the 10V range. Depending on what DMM one uses, this can be quite obvious (fast update rate and no filtering, the default setting on a 34401A doesn't show that). A 7A13 "comparator" plug-in for a 7000 scope can be quite useful here to show the stability e.g. @100V output.
Safety devices hinder evolution

Offline capt bullshot

• Super Contributor
    • Mostly useless stuff, but nice to have: wunderkis.de
« Reply #62012 on: June 28, 2020, 09:32:09 am »
5101B - For the non-working AC:
Try to operate the 5101B with an external oscillator. You'd need to build an adaptor from the small analog ribbon connector at the backside to a single BNC. With such an adaptor, you can input a 1Vss AC (afair) signal (e.g. 1kHz or 50Hz) from an external function generator. As most of the internal circuitry is used for both the AC and DC output, this might give you a hint for troubleshooting.

Edit:
This is 100V (noisy): https://cb.wunderkis.de/wk-pub/mvi/100V.ogg
This is 10V (stable): https://cb.wunderkis.de/wk-pub/mvi/10V.ogg

Hope the videos work, with my Firefox they do. Don't nail me on the 40ppm @10V, the Keithley 196 doesn't do that and it's drifting anyway (and is on my repair stack), but it has a nice red LED starburst display and shows nicely the noise / unstability of the 5100B @100V.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2020, 09:54:49 am by capt bullshot »
Safety devices hinder evolution

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
« Reply #62013 on: June 28, 2020, 10:16:43 am »
Here we go ...

34 metric kilograms in a somewhat awkward to carry case that I needed to haul 2 storeys up first. My back is kaputt since 19 years already; this didn't really help.  :(

It's a Fluke 5101B, complete with the tape drive:

What it did not have, like so many of its TE brethren, were its feet. Amputated, as usual. :( This proper boat anchor (43 x 22 x 60 cm³) will not sit on my new workbench without feet! They're not perfect, but adequate for the job. 1

Of course, there's no chance I will ever get that thing calibrated. There might not even be a chance I get the AC section repaired (lucky me, I already have that YEW AC calibrator!). But I do have stable DC voltages upto 1 kV now. :)

And a Y5000 interface/buffer (which I highly doubt I'll ever need).

---------------------------
1 At its final resting place, it will not need any feet: the cart it is going to is only 76 cm wide. It can't really take to 43 cm wide instruments side-by-side. Unless they sit on their bellies, hanging over a few centimeters. The boat-anchor next to it is the Anritsu MG3633A signal generator. As it happens, also with missing feet.

I have one and they aren't 'that heavy'  :-DD Mine has all voltage ranges dead and is in the Stack. Resistance is fine.

Mine here and some good links and advice from others just after it https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/test-equipment-anonymous-(tea)-group-therapy-thread/msg2931532/#msg2931532

This one in particular https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/test-equipment-anonymous-(tea)-group-therapy-thread/msg2923390/?topicseen#msg2923390
« Last Edit: June 28, 2020, 10:20:39 am by beanflying »

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #62014 on: June 28, 2020, 11:30:11 am »
I just realized it's Saturday evening and I completely forgot about Discord.  :palm:

See, when you're retired everyday is "Saturday".  ;D I love not having to live by the clock/calendar.  :-+

Yes, we thought that might have been asleep, you were missed on discord last night. But you're right, everyday feels like a Saturday when your retired, the clock/calendar is no more our lord and master  :-+ :-+ :-+
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #62015 on: June 28, 2020, 11:36:46 am »

Yes, we thought that might have been asleep, you were missed on discord last night. But you're right, everyday feels like a Saturday when your retired, the clock/calendar is no more our lord and master  :-+ :-+ :-+

Nope, I was awake and actually quite busy with a bunch of assorted stuff including submitting the final capacitor order for the Type 106. Those parts should be here by Wednesday.
An old gray beard with an attitude.

Offline Saskia

• Super Contributor
  • you unlock this door with the key of imagination
« Reply #62016 on: June 28, 2020, 11:50:42 am »
just returned from trip with my daughter. Found that there is a new round of confiscations/expropriations without compensation coming up in Germany. They want to grab about 50k€ of my stuff.

So I will be trading my possessions (those that I can easily get rid of) for some rare metals and put plan "alligator islands" in motion.

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #62017 on: June 28, 2020, 01:38:41 pm »
Heads up for any UK members looking for a reasonable 4.5 to 6.5 digit bench meter (to get the 6.5 digit selected press the *.* and then the 5 1/2 button)

This is a manual switching, not an autoranger.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Thurlby-1905a-Multimeter/283929078082
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline Ero-Shan

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #62018 on: June 28, 2020, 01:52:18 pm »
Thanks to all for the tips regarding the 5101B. Still not sure whether I should even try to tackle this. I certainly should try to check out DC, however. The 3458A might come to help the 34401As.  :-DMM
I read Marc Michalzik's Reparaturbericht months ago ... which just helped to fuel my interest in getting such a beast.  :P

My repair queue is already miles long, and before I start on that, I have to wash about 700 drawers of those newly acquired magazines (I manage to do about 60 at a time, which takes more than one hour) and do a grand re-sorting of all the components (where I had 3 values of trimmers - one decade - in a single drawer, I now need 1 to 4 drawers per value). Yes this is silly. Going at my current rate, I'll start working on it around my 95th birthday.  |O

Need to stay away from the bay from a long while now.

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #62019 on: June 28, 2020, 02:01:50 pm »
Thanks to all for the tips regarding the 5101B. Still not sure whether I should even try to tackle this. I certainly should try to check out DC, however. The 3458A might come to help the 34401As.  :-DMM
I read Marc Michalzik's Reparaturbericht months ago ... which just helped to fuel my interest in getting such a beast.  :P

My repair queue is already miles long, and before I start on that, I have to wash about 700 drawers of those newly acquired magazines (I manage to do about 60 at a time, which takes more than one hour) and do a grand re-sorting of all the components (where I had 3 values of trimmers - one decade - in a single drawer, I now need 1 to 4 drawers per value). Yes this is silly. Going at my current rate, I'll start working on it around my 95th birthday.  |O

You know your problem is being about the jammiest ever dumpster diver, you're a victim of your own success as they say :-DD :-DD :-DD
Who let Murphy in?

Offline Ero-Shan

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #62020 on: June 28, 2020, 04:22:52 pm »

You know your problem is being about the jammiest ever dumpster diver, you're a victim of your own success as they say :-DD :-DD :-DD

Now I have a bad conscience. Thank you very much.  >:D

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #62021 on: June 28, 2020, 05:00:19 pm »
"Your conscience is the measure of the honesty of your selfishness. Listen to it carefully."

mnem
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #62022 on: June 28, 2020, 05:33:50 pm »
"Your conscience is the measure of the honesty of your selfishness. Listen to it carefully."

mnem

Not quite, he did help me out and I dare say a few others as well  :-X
Who let Murphy in?

Offline Saskia

• Super Contributor
  • you unlock this door with the key of imagination
« Reply #62023 on: June 28, 2020, 05:36:07 pm »
Share and Enjoy !

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #62024 on: June 28, 2020, 06:44:40 pm »
Do we have here some Tektronix fans?    ;D
Just spotted in the German "ebay Kleinanzeigen" (no affiliations with the sellers):

A very nice Tek 7623A with 6 modules for 210.- EUR
https://www.ebay-kleinanzeigen.de/s-anzeige/speicher-oszilloskop-tektronix-7623a-plus-einschuebe/1440866205-168-2137

It comes with these modules:

• 3x 7A18
  • 3x 7B53A

And one of these could be handy:
Some Tek scope carts, 50.- EUR.
https://www.ebay-kleinanzeigen.de/s-anzeige/tektronix-beistellwagen-diverse/1441476862-168-1512

8)

“Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought. It always defeats order, because it is better organized.”            - Terry Pratchett -

The following users thanked this post: bd139

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf