Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 18058749 times)

ch_scr and 67 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #61850 on: June 26, 2020, 09:14:24 am »
Airline BNCs are good to 18GHz. BNC-HD to about 12GHz.

HP/Agilent kit usually has custom connector lands and hardware so they might have managed to push it out that far.

The following users thanked this post: BU508A

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #61851 on: June 26, 2020, 09:15:41 am »
To change all old capacitors or not???

I watch many of his videos and he's good and knows his stuff. And I don't disagree with his take that you HAVE to change all the capacitors. But the question remains. How much longer will that 35 - 40 year old capacitor last before it starts going high ESR? That's the unknown and the reason why I go conservative and choose to change them all while I've got the unit apart. Especially in a high heat and high voltage environment of vacuum tube equipment.

And he's only talking aluminum electrolytics. That does not apply to wax tubular bypass capacitors. They WILL be leaky after 40+ years and must be changed.   
An old gray beard with an attitude.

Offline Ice-Tea

• Super Contributor
    • Freelance Hardware Engineer
« Reply #61852 on: June 26, 2020, 09:21:27 am »
Just noticed gnif was watching this topic. He must be wondering where 91,7% of his resources are going...

The following users thanked this post: Cubdriver, AVGresponding

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #61853 on: June 26, 2020, 09:22:59 am »
Just noticed gnif was watching this topic. He must be wondering where 91,7% of his resources are going...

I noticed that too since his name shows up red. Sort of stands out.  ;D

Edit...oops, we scared him off.  :-DD

Online BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #61854 on: June 26, 2020, 09:30:55 am »

I noticed that too since his name shows up red. Sort of stands out.  ;D

Edit...oops, we scared him off.  :-DD

Or, simply he was in need of some entertainment.  :-+ ;D
“Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought. It always defeats order, because it is better organized.”            - Terry Pratchett -

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #61855 on: June 26, 2020, 09:33:39 am »
Or just checking to make sure the animals were still in their cages.  :-DD
« Last Edit: June 26, 2020, 09:36:15 am by med6753 »

The following users thanked this post: Cubdriver, BU508A, mnementh, AVGresponding

Offline AVGresponding

• Super Contributor
  • Exploring Rabbit Holes Since The 1970s
« Reply #61856 on: June 26, 2020, 09:39:12 am »
I have a question for bd139 or Saskia, anyone else with expertise also.

What is your opinion on Open Banking APIs?

I'm asking as I've been asked by my Credit Union to use one to provide them with bank statements for a load application.
I am highly sceptical and reluctant, as is my browser guard...

Ah lots of experience with this one. For the end user it’s fine, well designed and secure. For us developers there is a hell of a lot of pain involved to the point there is deep vetting, external certification of code, a million legal hoops to go through etc. It’s perfectly secure.

If it’s Clydesdale, Nationwide, L&G, Monzo then run a mile as they’re a shit show.

Anyway the thing you need to consider is what is consuming it, whether it’s in EU safe harbour, who published it and what their terms are precisely.

Ok thanks for your advice.
nuqDaq yuch Dapol?
Addiction count: Agilent-AVO-BlackStar-Brymen-Chauvin Arnoux-Fluke-GenRad-Hameg-HP-Keithley-IsoTech-Mastech-Megger-Metrix-Micronta-Racal-RFL-Siglent-Solartron-Tektronix-Thurlby-Time Electronics-TTi-UniT

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #61857 on: June 26, 2020, 09:53:31 am »
Oh the skanks are out in force at the moment. Just got this on an SSD I'm selling for 45 imperial bucks:

Err how about fuck off?  :palm:

Offline Saskia

• Super Contributor
  • you unlock this door with the key of imagination
« Reply #61858 on: June 26, 2020, 09:54:52 am »
no way in hell I am using a banking api.

I prefer the suitcase / rare metal method.

Offline AVGresponding

• Super Contributor
« Reply #61859 on: June 26, 2020, 09:56:19 am »
If I had a suitcase full of rare metals, I wouldn't need a car loan...
nuqDaq yuch Dapol?
Addiction count: Agilent-AVO-BlackStar-Brymen-Chauvin Arnoux-Fluke-GenRad-Hameg-HP-Keithley-IsoTech-Mastech-Megger-Metrix-Micronta-Racal-RFL-Siglent-Solartron-Tektronix-Thurlby-Time Electronics-TTi-UniT

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #61860 on: June 26, 2020, 10:02:23 am »
Oh the skanks are out in force at the moment. Just got this on an SSD I'm selling for 45 imperial bucks:

Even in good times most musicians struggle. How about getting a backup career plan?  ::)

Offline Ice-Tea

• Super Contributor
    • Freelance Hardware Engineer
« Reply #61861 on: June 26, 2020, 10:04:09 am »
I have a question for bd139 or Saskia, anyone else with expertise also.

What is your opinion on Open Banking APIs?

I'm asking as I've been asked by my Credit Union to use one to provide them with bank statements for a load application.
I am highly sceptical and reluctant, as is my browser guard...

Ah lots of experience with this one. For the end user it’s fine, well designed and secure. For us developers there is a hell of a lot of pain involved to the point there is deep vetting, external certification of code, a million legal hoops to go through etc. It’s perfectly secure.

If it’s Clydesdale, Nationwide, L&G, Monzo then run a mile as they’re a shit show.

Anyway the thing you need to consider is what is consuming it, whether it’s in EU safe harbour, who published it and what their terms are precisely.

Ok thanks for your advice.

A belgian startup is using open banking api's to make their own app. They obviously sell the harvested data, but they make it their selling point: they share their revenue.

https://cake.app/nl/

I'm still not sharing my bank data anymore then I have to, but still: interesting idea.

Also: yay! This thing actually works:

Now, if you'll excuse me, I need to dig up my RIFA replacement kit and ventilate the lab.

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, bd139

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #61862 on: June 26, 2020, 10:06:20 am »

Even in good times most musicians struggle. How about getting a backup career plan?  ::)

Yeah exactly that. I was a musician as well. We had a band and everything. And you know what? Not once did I consider it as a primary income source. That would be quite frankly batshit insane. Which was just as well because we got absolutely nowhere  :-DD

If I had a suitcase full of rare metals, I wouldn't need a car loan...

You're using the loan to buy a lump of not so rare metals that does something more useful than any rare metal so you're onto a winner either way  :-DD

Edit: Actually I need to get my car serviced as it's whining at me for regular service interval. At least two tyres and the air con is borked as well which is going to be a mugging  >:(
« Last Edit: June 26, 2020, 10:08:16 am by bd139 »

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #61863 on: June 26, 2020, 10:07:48 am »

Hmmm.... Hasn't casual wait staff been an option?  Not the best for a fallback at this time.

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #61864 on: June 26, 2020, 10:11:17 am »

Yeah exactly that. I was a musician as well. We had a band and everything. And you know what? Not once did I consider it as a primary income source. That would be quite frankly batshit insane. Which was just as well because we got absolutely nowhere  :-DD

What was the name of your band? The Arsonists?  :P :P :-DD

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #61865 on: June 26, 2020, 10:13:13 am »

What was the name of your band? The Arsonists?  :P :P :-DD

Hahaha.

Actually it was called Cyberchrist, which was probably worse  :-DD

Edit: it was mostly a ploy to pick up floozies and groupies which rather surprisingly worked but left us with much regrets. Particularly one night where I got punched in the face by one and her best friend then bottled her face  :-DD
« Last Edit: June 26, 2020, 10:15:18 am by bd139 »

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline AVGresponding

• Super Contributor
« Reply #61866 on: June 26, 2020, 10:17:35 am »
Classy crowd
nuqDaq yuch Dapol?

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #61867 on: June 26, 2020, 10:29:38 am »
Indeed. Classy as a pavement pizza.

Super busy day today sitting in meetings being bored out of my skull. Am expending some time on mentally setting up some projects. Think I'm going to build a half decent audio PA first. Something analogue, something 100% home designed from scratch and with reasonable performance. Am considering basically low noise opamps with a couple of discrete output stages using modern BJTs. But rather than using passive crossovers I'm going to build one amplifier chain per speaker range with suitable low/high/bandpass analogue filters in line. Each speaker enclosure will contain an amplifier and there will be differential inputs from a preamplifier with bluetooth receiver and analogue inputs in it in the middle. Sitting here throwing ideas out in LTspice.

Online BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #61868 on: June 26, 2020, 10:33:43 am »
This is the Big Mandingo of the Z-series; DTS 5.1, 10" sub and 505 THX-certified watts of power. Favorite Lindström flush-cutters shown for scale and to keep it somewhat TEA. :P 

Nice score! I have a pair of those Lindström cutters and they are indeed excellent. Hide em so no one else used them on too big a gauge wire   ::)

Here is my little bunch of Lindström pliers. Together with the Belzer tweezers  it was a gift for my birthday from some very kind friends.   :D   I'm using them rarely but when I do, they are a dream to work with.   :-+

For more mundane jobs I have here this Schmitz sidecutter with sintered carbides as inserts for the cutting edges.

Lindström:
RX 8233 - sidecutter
RX 7490 - flat nose plier
RX 7890 - jaw snipe nose plier

Belzer tweezers:
5463 AMT  3-TA  (made of Titanium, really really nice!)

Schmitz:
3417 HS 22 - sidecutter

« Last Edit: June 26, 2020, 11:17:51 am by BU508A »
“Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought. It always defeats order, because it is better organized.”            - Terry Pratchett -

The following users thanked this post: salvagedcircuitry

Offline AVGresponding

• Super Contributor
« Reply #61869 on: June 26, 2020, 10:56:28 am »
Ooooh, Belzer, very nice.

I still have some Belzer Polynova Whitworth/BSF ring spanners from the 1980s. Good tools.
nuqDaq yuch Dapol?

The following users thanked this post: BU508A

Offline tonyalbus

• Frequent Contributor
  • To better understand, you need to open it ;-)
    • My Channel
« Reply #61870 on: June 26, 2020, 12:45:46 pm »
you guys were right about this ebay seller. tdm_electronics   a seller in poland
i am totaly scruwed with this Anritsu... bottons missing, tube all pushed back in de back.... no arm, feet missing completely defferent from what they sell..
 |O |O |O |O |O |O |O |O |O
Electronics enthusiast, TEA and Radio Amateur (PE1ONS)
Marconi  - TTi - Thandar - Thurmbly - HP - Fluke - Philips - Siglent - Owon - TEK - Anritsu - Keithley - AVO - BG7TBL
https://www.youtube.com/TonyAlbus

Offline xrunner

• Super Contributor
  • hp>Agilent>Keysight>???
« Reply #61871 on: June 26, 2020, 12:52:07 pm »
you guys were right about this ebay seller. tdm_electronics   a seller in poland
i am totaly scruwed with this Anritsu... bottons missing, tube all pushed back in de back.... no arm, feet missing completely defferent from what they sell..

I told my friends I could teach them to be funny, but they all just laughed at me.

The following users thanked this post: salvagedcircuitry, tonyalbus

Offline McBryce

• Super Contributor
« Reply #61872 on: June 26, 2020, 12:55:07 pm »
If you paid with Paypal ebay will sort you out. That's not even close to the condition that the seller posted.

McBryce.
30 Years making cars more difficult to repair.

The following users thanked this post: Cubdriver

Offline SilverSolder

• Super Contributor
« Reply #61873 on: June 26, 2020, 12:55:39 pm »

If it is not as described in the eBay listing -  seller has to take it back, and they have to pay for the return shipping.  Those are the rules.

Maybe it will be cheaper for seller to give you a partial refund, if you want to fix the unit - but you definitely need to open a case in eBay. Don't bother contacting seller first - open the eBay case immediately and do all communication with seller via that case history only, so it can be reviewed by eBay later if that becomes necessary.

The following users thanked this post: tonyalbus

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #61874 on: June 26, 2020, 12:55:53 pm »

Send him a nice email with the pictures and ask (nicely) what he's going to do to fix the issue. Give him a chance first. If he turns asshole then go for the throat and file a claim.

Edit, or you can do what Silversolder suggested. Your choice.

The following users thanked this post: tonyalbus

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf