Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 18060036 times)

onsokumaru, Helix70, bsdphk and 44 Guests are viewing this topic.

Online AVGresponding

• Super Contributor
  • Exploring Rabbit Holes Since The 1970s
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #61775 on: June 25, 2020, 11:42:53 am »
Had to dash off out to Stansted Airport this evening, caught wind of a rare Russian plane coming in to land today, an IL76. It departs sometime tomorrow and if possible I'll grab some more shots as it departs for home again, no doubt laden once again with more cargo.

If anyone would like a high-res picture to make a wallpaper etc, please PM me and I'll email you one.

No ty, if it was a TU144 or a Foxbat D it'd be a different matter...
nuqDaq yuch Dapol?
Addiction count: Agilent-AVO-BlackStar-Brymen-Chauvin Arnoux-Fluke-GenRad-Hameg-HP-Keithley-IsoTech-Mastech-Megger-Metrix-Micronta-Racal-RFL-Siglent-Solartron-Tektronix-Thurlby-Time Electronics-TTi-UniT

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #61776 on: June 25, 2020, 11:59:24 am »
German techno time!

The following users thanked this post: exor, factory

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #61777 on: June 25, 2020, 12:12:08 pm »
Had to dash off out to Stansted Airport this evening, caught wind of a rare Russian plane coming in to land today, an IL76. It departs sometime tomorrow and if possible I'll grab some more shots as it departs for home again, no doubt laden once again with more cargo.

If anyone would like a high-res picture to make a wallpaper etc, please PM me and I'll email you one.

Yeah that would be great, I don't think that there any of those still flying are there?

On a different note, used the 4503 today, still working great, so I thank you again for your kind assistance on that project. :-+
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
  • Toys so very many Toys.
« Reply #61778 on: June 25, 2020, 12:17:17 pm »
I really need to get back to playing with Test Gear but MDK is fun too  >:D The Online mod/cheaters is a PITA  :--
Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #61779 on: June 25, 2020, 12:18:20 pm »
Here is how the TU-144 came to be.

Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #61780 on: June 25, 2020, 01:15:15 pm »
If you need to procrastinate some time, here is a YT channel that might be helpful:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCP5tjEmvPItGyLhmjdwP7Ww/videos

Example:
“Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought. It always defeats order, because it is better organized.”            - Terry Pratchett -

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
« Reply #61781 on: June 25, 2020, 01:59:26 pm »
Nah, 10 miles of Fun with Kylie and Robbie as a Sound Track  :-DD
Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #61782 on: June 25, 2020, 02:08:40 pm »
Hahaha. I still haven't managed to get into the military base without getting owned on that  :(

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
« Reply #61783 on: June 25, 2020, 02:31:51 pm »
I am actually enjoying the open world feel after playing a bunch of Wolfensteins. Is it worth the 100Gb+ on the drive  :-// But the Price was right  >:D

Online AVGresponding

• Super Contributor
« Reply #61784 on: June 25, 2020, 03:05:34 pm »

Yeah that would be great, I don't think that there any of those still flying are there?

On a different note, used the 4503 today, still working great, so I thank you again for your kind assistance on that project. :-+

Didn't watch your linked documentary yet, but I seem to recall it never got past prototype stage?

As for Foxbats, you can take a ride in one but I hear it's damned expensive, and idk (a) which variant and (b) even if it's a D, will the pilot give it the full beans? I suspect probably not on both counts.

Glad I could help with the 4503, what a trial it was for you! All's well that ends well I guess.

@bd139 and beanflying, is that the single player game or online? icr that mission
nuqDaq yuch Dapol?
Addiction count: Agilent-AVO-BlackStar-Brymen-Chauvin Arnoux-Fluke-GenRad-Hameg-HP-Keithley-IsoTech-Mastech-Megger-Metrix-Micronta-Racal-RFL-Siglent-Solartron-Tektronix-Thurlby-Time Electronics-TTi-UniT

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #61785 on: June 25, 2020, 03:08:10 pm »
I am actually enjoying the open world feel after playing a bunch of Wolfensteins. Is it worth the 100Gb+ on the drive  :-// But the Price was right  >:D

Yeah have to agree there. It's a pretty sweet deal. Good stress relief as well. I am getting good at escaping the police. Plugged about 5 of them the other day with usual consequences of road blocks and them taking pot shots at me plus chasing helicopter then drove down the subway  :-DD

@bd139 and beanflying, is that the single player game or online? icr that mission[/color][/size][/b]

I play single player. The online games are annoying I find. Mostly because I'm shite :)

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
« Reply #61786 on: June 25, 2020, 03:10:52 pm »

@bd139 and beanflying, is that the single player game or online? icr that mission[/color][/size][/b]

Those two screen grabs are from the Online version. I have played out the Story one and enjoyed it so I thought I would give the online one a go. It it wasn't for the cheats/bs from time to time it is still good fun.

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
« Reply #61787 on: June 25, 2020, 03:14:57 pm »
Just realized the Thumbnail switcheroo disease is back too  :palm:

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #61788 on: June 25, 2020, 03:19:43 pm »
I am getting good at escaping the police. Plugged about 5 of them the other day with usual consequences of road blocks and them taking pot shots at me plus chasing helicopter then drove down the subway  :-DD

Enough already about your experiences of living in south-west London. What about the game?
Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

The following users thanked this post: McBryce, mnementh, Specmaster, AVGresponding

Online AVGresponding

• Super Contributor
« Reply #61789 on: June 25, 2020, 03:22:19 pm »

As for Foxbats, you can take a ride in one but I hear it's damned expensive, and idk (a) which variant and (b) even if it's a D, will the pilot give it the full beans? I suspect probably not on both counts.

Just refreshed my memory and as I suspected the D variant was a single seat reconnaissance version, so no chance there, except to buy one outright...   ::)

One thing I did know but hadn't remembered to mention, is most of the avionics in these things were hollow state. The radar in the Foxbat A was a 600kW valve jobby!
A colleague at a voluntary EE job I was doing a few years back was into making his own synths and brought a Soviet hand-held radio tube to show me, amazing how much they managed to compact those things down by the 1990s, it was about the size of half a AAA cell.   :o

One thing I didn't know, and which has a link to a recent discussion topic, is that inaccurate intelligence reports about the role of the Foxbat are what led the US to develop the F-15!
nuqDaq yuch Dapol?

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #61790 on: June 25, 2020, 03:23:09 pm »
I'd offer bean (or someone like him) 75€ to make you something actually nice out of hardwood that incorporates the intact knob subpanel.  >:D

Eh... WOOD?!?

You don't mind when you wake up with wood; why should you mind if you wake up with wood on your 'scope...?  :-DD

mnem
Tastefully done wood, of course.  >:D
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Online AVGresponding

• Super Contributor
« Reply #61791 on: June 25, 2020, 03:24:58 pm »
Pretty sure I saw one with a wooden fascia not long ago, can't remember the brand though.
nuqDaq yuch Dapol?

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #61792 on: June 25, 2020, 03:39:33 pm »
I am getting good at escaping the police. Plugged about 5 of them the other day with usual consequences of road blocks and them taking pot shots at me plus chasing helicopter then drove down the subway  :-DD

Enough already about your experiences of living in south-west London. What about the game?

Actually shootings are down here at the moment  :-DD

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #61793 on: June 25, 2020, 03:40:37 pm »
Started work on the Type 106 Square Wave Generator. First on the agenda is replacement of the noisy 25K Bias pot. Unfortunately the original is one of those miniature pots that are damn near impossible to find. And I wanted to replace it with a high quality pot. And no way am I going to resort to drilling to make it fit. Here's the solution. Leads come up through the hole left by the old pot. Bourns plastic pot held on chassis with 3M automotive emblem tape plus a few dabs of super glue. Not the best design practice and kinda bodgey but that pot is not going anywhere. It's solid.     

And here's the results. First pix is the high amplitude output. 2nd pix is the + fast rise time output. The - fast is still not working.

Next is to rebuild the +150V supply which is reading +144V. That will affect the bias but that's OK. Simply re-adjust it.
An old gray beard with an attitude.

The following users thanked this post: edavid, BU508A, mnementh, bd139

Offline tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #61794 on: June 25, 2020, 03:48:16 pm »

You don't notice speed at altitude, so we can ignore that aspect of welly. That leaves G force, which you do notice.

Foxbat max 2.2g with full tanks, 4.5g abs max.
Standard training glider: -1.5g, +3.5g (and you will pull 3g during training). I've experienced ~3g continuously for a minute or so, in a tight strong thermal.
Aerobatic glider: -6g, +9g.

In the Top Gear car vs Eurofighter contest, it looks like it takes the Eurofighter ~35s to get to ~2000ft.
In a stiff wind down the runway, gliders take ~45s for the same :)

As for sensation of speed, it is hard to beat entering a spin at 1000ft. You descend at ~60ft/s, and have to dive at the ground to recover.
Alternatively, eyeballing a sheep whizzing past at 70mph just off your wingtip is also entertaining - while watching for the other glider coming in the other direction also at 70kt, same altitude, same distance from the ridge :)
https://youtu.be/AIXCTDnT55s?t=78

Now, tell me again what is the unique attraction of flying a Foxbat? ;)
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

Offline tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #61795 on: June 25, 2020, 03:52:29 pm »
A colleague at a voluntary EE job I was doing a few years back was into making his own synths and brought a Soviet hand-held radio tube to show me, amazing how much they managed to compact those things down by the 1990s, it was about the size of half a AAA cell.   :o

Nuvistors, as in my Tek 184, are 20mm high including pins, 10mm diameter.

« Last Edit: June 25, 2020, 03:58:28 pm by tggzzz »
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #61796 on: June 25, 2020, 04:11:20 pm »
...Now, tell me again what is the unique attraction of flying a Foxbat? ;)

Short version: Testosterone poisoning vs adrenaline-junky-ing.  :-DD  Not much more complicated than that, I think.  ;)

mnem
 :bullshit:
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Online AVGresponding

• Super Contributor
« Reply #61797 on: June 25, 2020, 04:17:37 pm »
Now, tell me again what is the unique attraction of flying a Foxbat? ;)

Next best thing to a Blackbird, obviously.   ???
nuqDaq yuch Dapol?

Online AVGresponding

• Super Contributor
« Reply #61798 on: June 25, 2020, 04:20:19 pm »

Nuvistors, as in my Tek 184, are 20mm high including pins, 10mm diameter.

This had a glass envelope, 7 or 8 pins, and was very complex internally. A thing of beauty and all that.
nuqDaq yuch Dapol?

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #61799 on: June 25, 2020, 04:55:57 pm »
Then ICs came along and said "hold my beer"  :)

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, Specmaster

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf