Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 17713839 times)

Vince, Robert763 and 76 Guests are viewing this topic.

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #61175 on: June 17, 2020, 10:16:56 am »
... but shit does hurt once in a while.  :-DD

Arguably better than the opposite. I've chosen medical treatment based on that consideration.
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #61176 on: June 17, 2020, 10:19:15 am »
... but shit does hurt once in a while.  :-DD

Arguably better than the opposite. I've chosen medical treatment based on that consideration.

I just consider it part of getting old and deal with it. It's nothing chronic so no worries.

Edit, my number one concern is keeping the diabetes under control with oral meds only which means staying on the diet and keeping the weight off. No way do I want to go the insulin route. I have those around me who are on it and it's not fun.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2020, 10:25:49 am by med6753 »
An old gray beard with an attitude.

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #61177 on: June 17, 2020, 10:37:49 am »
Meh, OK.  :-\ Majority rules.
Would they be acceptable if painted Tek blue ?  :P   :-DD
Avid Rabid Hobbyist.
Some stuff seen @ Siglent HQ cannot be shared.

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #61178 on: June 17, 2020, 10:39:28 am »
* (We all start doing it one minute after we hit 50, dunno why, but we do. If you're 491/2 enjoy the next 6 months becuase it's the last time you can surreptitiously pick up something you're dropped.)

Worse is the stage of thinking "is there anything else I can do while I'm down there". I'm not there yet, but I have seen it in others.

I'm well into my 7th decade but don't huff like that. Perhaps it is because I'm pleased to say I can still fit into a Tshirt I bought in 1973. I don't, because it is getting fragile and I might want to flog it.

The number of times that you've told us about that T-Shirt; next thing we know, you'll be saying "I'm <whistling sound> ninety you know" in a Lancashire accent every ten minutes.  :)

Nah. I know The Krek Way to Speak Brizzle.

Aye, I know you do. But for some reason unfathomable to man when folks reach the "I'm ninety you know" stage they develop a Lancashire accent just for that one phrase. It's some cosmic comedic law. Even my cat did when he got to the stage of telling everybody that he was 19, which was doubly odd as the was only 17 when he started doing it despite the fact that otherwise he spoke with a classic RAF WWII pilot's accent (Sqn Ldr Korky, Uxbridge Anti-pigeon Squadron (retd.)).
Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #61179 on: June 17, 2020, 10:39:45 am »
Have we now descended into that hell?   Moles, moans and movements.....?

Please, no.  I'd rather spruik the batteriser

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
« Reply #61180 on: June 17, 2020, 11:26:22 am »
Have we now descended into that hell?   Moles, moans and movements.....?

Please, no.  I'd rather spruik the batteriser

We've descended into other holes, and managed to resurface. The moles are more an Auzzie thing though (and possibly Kiwi).
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".

Offline nixiefreqq

• Super Contributor
« Reply #61181 on: June 17, 2020, 11:28:48 am »
Meh, OK.  :-\ Majority rules.

oh come on ya' grumpy blue bastard.

that there was funny in 1996 and its funny today.

edit   is Wensleydale a real thing?  have searched the foreign cheese section at giant and never found any.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2020, 12:15:27 pm by nixiefreqq »
free range primate

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, bd139

Offline AVGresponding

• Super Contributor
  • Exploring Rabbit Holes Since The 1970s
« Reply #61182 on: June 17, 2020, 11:49:26 am »
I motion that Professor Branestawm, Heath Robinson, and Emmett Brown also be considered.

Professor Branestawm also has a bestie called Colonel Dedshott...
nuqDaq yuch Dapol?
Addiction count: Agilent-AVO-BlackStar-Brymen-Chauvin Arnoux-Fluke-GenRad-Hameg-HP-Keithley-IsoTech-Mastech-Megger-Metrix-Micronta-Racal-RFL-Siglent-Solartron-Tektronix-Thurlby-Time Electronics-TTi-UniT

Offline xrunner

• Super Contributor
  • hp>Agilent>Keysight>???
« Reply #61183 on: June 17, 2020, 12:10:03 pm »
More inspection of the FG503. The strange "coating" is evident on the plastic, even under the aluminum panel. But ... it does not exist on the aluminum panels on any side next to the plastic. Why would that be?  :wtf: Again, it comes off easily with alcohol.

There are two of the Tektronix PCB switches with covers. The plastic side clips that hold the cover on are cracked on both. Three of the four on one switch and two of the four on the other. I do not know what type of plastic it is. I can only think of CA glue to fix them. Any other ideas?
I told my friends I could teach them to be funny, but they all just laughed at me.

The following users thanked this post: Kosmic

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #61184 on: June 17, 2020, 12:17:32 pm »
I motion that Professor Branestawm, Heath Robinson, and Emmett Brown also be considered.

Professor Branestawm also has a bestie called Colonel Dedshott...

Montgomery "Scotty" Scott:
“Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought. It always defeats order, because it is better organized.”            - Terry Pratchett -

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, AVGresponding

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #61185 on: June 17, 2020, 12:28:39 pm »
There is some shit on the UK eBay at the minute, some real chancers trying their luck with crazy descriptions and even crazier pricing, like these 2 examples  :wtf:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/AVO-8-MULTIMETER/153618980346 check out the BIN price  :-DD and then you get the other extreme on pricing but check out the "leads" https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/333627255770   :-DD :-DD :-DD
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #61186 on: June 17, 2020, 12:30:44 pm »
Hahaha that's mental. I'm doing something wrong  ;D

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #61187 on: June 17, 2020, 12:39:19 pm »
Hahaha that's mental. I'm doing something wrong  ;D
I think the first one must be trying to replace some of their lost income due to lockdown  :-DD
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline GreyWoolfe

• Supporter
  • NW0LF
« Reply #61188 on: June 17, 2020, 01:03:46 pm »
I actually rather like the newer axial compression-type F connectors, but wholeheartedly agree that the old crimp on or twist on ones were utter caca.

-Pat

I have not seen those axial compression F connectors. Didn't know it existed. As far as I know my cable co still uses crimp on F's but at least they upgraded to RG-6.

I first saw them about ten years or so ago when the cable guy did some repairs and reterminated the drop to the house.  He showed me the connector and crimping tool and I thought it was pretty sweet.  Bought one a few years later at The Home Despot, and have been using it since.  Between one of those clothes-pin strippy things and the compression connectors, terminating RG6 with F connectors is a snap.  Clip the stripper on and spin it a few times around the cable, then pull the cut insulation pieces off, fold the shield wires back over the outer jacket and stuff it into the connector until it bottoms.  Pop the connector into the compression crimper, squeeze and it's done.  The process takes about as much time as it took me to type this out, if not less.

Stripper - preps end of cable stripping 1/4" of all but the center from the end, and an additional 1/4" of the outer jacket.

Stripper detail - the black set of blades preps the cable end.  The connector nose fits into the hex recess at the right to hold it steady as the cable is pushed into the point it bottoms.

Compression crimper - the spring loaded actuator is held closed by the bail.  The turret that the bail is attached to has several stop depths to do different connectors (I've also done video RCA plugs with it); the knurled screw on the ram adjusts the compression stroke to bottom the connector sleeve when the handle is squeezed shut.

Connector (sans cable) in the crimper.  It's not currently adjusted to fit this one, but if it were all set up and there was a cable in the connector, a quick squeeze at this point and you're done.

-Pat

Med, Brighthouse now Spectrum here in Flori-DUH has been using compression fittings for quite some time now along with RG-6.  I found out about them when we were having a problem with the MTA when we had Internet and phone.  The tech came out and re-terminated the cable I installed with the compression fittings.  He said that the techs found that crimped connectors were problematic with the phone service.  He even gave me some of his stash.  I bought the same crimper from Home Depot, already had a similar style stripper.  When Rat Shack went out of business, I bought a bunch of connectors--RG-59, RG-6 and RG-6 quad shield.  At my age, I have a lifetime supply.
"Heaven has been described as the place that once you get there all the dogs you ever loved run up to greet you."

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
« Reply #61189 on: June 17, 2020, 01:32:27 pm »
is Wensleydale a real thing?  have searched the foreign cheese section at giant and never found any.

Yes, it is. Oddly enough it was originally made in Wensleydale :) It is a hard cheese, white, sharp flavour, and with a crumbly texture. Very nice, but less so when wrapped in plastic.

I'm not surprised you can't get it in the USA. Away from cosmopolitan centres like SF and Boston, many people have an odd reaction when they pick up a loaf of bread in the supermarket: their arm races upwards towards the ceiling, until they get it back under control. Yes, the US bread has "too much" air in it, and so is lighter than expected. Then we can consider bacon; the US only has streaky bacon, which is our lowest grade. And I won't mention delicious (but ugly) apples like Egremont Russets, or Cox's Orange Pippins.

The following users thanked this post: bd139, nixiefreqq

Offline SilverSolder

• Super Contributor
« Reply #61190 on: June 17, 2020, 01:48:07 pm »
is Wensleydale a real thing?  have searched the foreign cheese section at giant and never found any.

Yes, it is. Oddly enough it was originally made in Wensleydale :) It is a hard cheese, white, sharp flavour, and with a crumbly texture. Very nice, but less so when wrapped in plastic.

I'm not surprised you can't get it in the USA. Away from cosmopolitan centres like SF and Boston, many people have an odd reaction when they pick up a loaf of bread in the supermarket: their arm races upwards towards the ceiling, until they get it back under control. Yes, the US bread has "too much" air in it, and so is lighter than expected. Then we can consider bacon; the US only has streaky bacon, which is our lowest grade. And I won't mention delicious (but ugly) apples like Egremont Russets, or Cox's Orange Pippins.

You can definitely get Wensleydale cheese in the USA, but you have to find a pretty well stocked cheese counter (e.g. Fairway if you are in the NY area).  Standard fare in standard supermarkets has been pretty poor in the US, with a big selection of samey crappy products, but this is slowly changing.  Chains like e.g. Trader Joe (which is part owned by Aldi, but aimed at a higher level than Aldi in Europe) are doing really well, and the traditional supermarkets are having to up their game as a result.  (They don't carry Wensleydale, but have many nice cheeses!)

The following users thanked this post: nixiefreqq

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #61191 on: June 17, 2020, 01:54:09 pm »
edit   is Wensleydale a real thing?  have searched the foreign cheese section at giant and never found any.

I've just come back from the supermarket. If I'd read that before I went I'd have taken a picture of loads of Wensleydale.

This is Wensleydale, Yorkshire ('dale' being Northern for a valley):

This a Wensleydale sheep (a local breed):

And this is a Wensleydale cheese (which for clarity's sake I have to point out is made with cow's milk) and a very fine example of Wensleydale at that:

Also:

Swaledale, Yorkshire:

Swaledale sheep:

Swaledale cheese (Which IS made with Swaledale sheep's milk and goes wonderfully with a slice of fruit cake):

The following users thanked this post: SilverSolder, mnementh, Specmaster, nixiefreqq, 0culus

Offline SilverSolder

• Super Contributor
« Reply #61192 on: June 17, 2020, 02:05:01 pm »

[...] This is Wensleydale, Yorkshire ('dale' being Northern for a valley) [...]

[/quote]

"Dale" comes from the Scandinavian word "Dal", for a valley, is my understanding.  The EU conspiracy goes back thousands of years!!!  :D

Offline Saskia

• Super Contributor
  • you unlock this door with the key of imagination
« Reply #61193 on: June 17, 2020, 02:12:10 pm »
Remember Lindisfarne.

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #61194 on: June 17, 2020, 02:24:02 pm »
Remember Lindisfarne.

Album: Lady Eleanor

“Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought. It always defeats order, because it is better organized.”            - Terry Pratchett -

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #61195 on: June 17, 2020, 02:27:10 pm »

[...] This is Wensleydale, Yorkshire ('dale' being Northern for a valley) [...]

"Dale" comes from the Scandinavian word "Dal", for a valley, is my understanding.  The EU conspiracy goes back thousands of years!!!  :D

Just a few miles from Wensleydale is Skyreholme, which is about as Scandinavian as you can get in a place name. The whole North-East of England has traces of Scandinavian influence and occupation, right down to the genetics of the people. You can bet that if I had my genome examined by one of those "we tell you who your ancestors were" companies that there would be clear evidence that one of my forebears was a Viking's bastard (My father was a Geordie and I've inherited the gene for warm hands in cold weather that is a known marker of Scandinavian descent).

The following users thanked this post: SilverSolder

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
« Reply #61196 on: June 17, 2020, 02:31:22 pm »

You can definitely get Wensleydale cheese in the USA, but you have to find a pretty well stocked cheese counter (e.g. Fairway if you are in the NY area).  Standard fare in standard supermarkets has been pretty poor in the US, with a big selection of samey crappy products, but this is slowly changing.  Chains like e.g. Trader Joe (which is part owned by Aldi, but aimed at a higher level than Aldi in Europe) are doing really well, and the traditional supermarkets are having to up their game as a result.  (They don't carry Wensleydale, but have many nice cheeses!)

I have't been to the US in a while, so I'm sure some things have changed, and some for the better.

Rule of thumb: UK for hard cheeses, France for soft cheeses, plus a nice drippy gorgonzola from Italy. Ignore everything else :)

Supermarket cheese over here is very variable. Too much plastic wrapped stuff is plastically inside and best thought of as "mousetrap cheese". But a good truckle cheddar or stilton or double gloucester or...

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
« Reply #61197 on: June 17, 2020, 02:35:05 pm »

... and from the German "Tal".

The old statement is that 80% of English words have a Teutonic origin. That's particularly the case for simple "everyday" words. Latinate languages were layered on top of that after the Norman invasion, often adding "fancy" versions of the "everyday" words.

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #61198 on: June 17, 2020, 02:37:42 pm »
   I actually rather like the newer axial compression-type F connectors, but wholeheartedly agree that the old crimp on or twist on ones were utter caca.

-Pat
I have not seen those axial compression F connectors. Didn't know it existed. As far as I know my cable co still uses crimp on F's but at least they upgraded to RG-6.

I first saw them about ten years or so ago when the cable guy did some repairs and reterminated the drop to the house.  He showed me the connector and crimping tool and I thought it was pretty sweet.  Bought one a few years later at The Home Despot, and have been using it since.  Between one of those clothes-pin strippy things and the compression connectors, terminating RG6 with F connectors is a snap.  Clip the stripper on and spin it a few times around the cable, then pull the cut insulation pieces off, fold the shield wires back over the outer jacket and stuff it into the connector until it bottoms.  Pop the connector into the compression crimper, squeeze and it's done.  The process takes about as much time as it took me to type this out, if not less.

Stripper - preps end of cable stripping 1/4" of all but the center from the end, and an additional 1/4" of the outer jacket.

Stripper detail - the black set of blades preps the cable end.  The connector nose fits into the hex recess at the right to hold it steady as the cable is pushed into the point it bottoms.

Compression crimper - the spring loaded actuator is held closed by the bail.  The turret that the bail is attached to has several stop depths to do different connectors (I've also done video RCA plugs with it); the knurled screw on the ram adjusts the compression stroke to bottom the connector sleeve when the handle is squeezed shut.

[img height=80https://photos.smugmug.com/Electronics/Misc-test-equipment/i-qSk6LK2/0/c3f096dc/L/2020061700034041-IMG_1469-L.jpg[/img]http://http://Connector (sans cable) in the crimper.  It's not currently adjusted to fit this one, but if it were all set up and there was a cable in the connector, a quick squeeze at this point and you're done.

-Pat

Med, Brighthouse now Spectrum here in Flori-DUH has been using compression fittings for quite some time now along with RG-6.  I found out about them when we were having a problem with the MTA when we had Internet and phone.  The tech came out and re-terminated the cable I installed with the compression fittings.  He said that the techs found that crimped connectors were problematic with the phone service.  He even gave me some of his stash.  I bought the same crimper from Home Depot, already had a similar style stripper.  When Rat Shack went out of business, I bought a bunch of connectors--RG-59, RG-6 and RG-6 quad shield.  At my age, I have a lifetime supply.

Yeah, those have been around for a couple decades at least; they were developed by the satellite TV industry to make a self-sealing stem bolt F-connector for RCA/HUGHES/Ku-Band dishes. The malleable plastic bit under the ferrule is made of two inter-fitting cones; when it crushes it locks into itself & forces the sheathing to mold itself to the difference between the metal ferrule and the inner barb, making a weathertight seal. The connectors made for uWave/outdoor use have a silicone rubber seal inside; we'd also wrap the connection with self-sealing silicone tape.

When they were first released, the crimper was made with EXACTLY the right dimensions for the brand of connector; they sold the palm-grip crimper (like yours, only non-adjustable) cheap, like $10-20, to lock you into their brand of connector at ~$1.50 each. Techs soon found they could buy the Paladin adjustable ratcheting pliers-type crimper (which I still have) for ~$40 and do any of them, as well as BNCs and RCAs. Some techs tried to fake it by using the cheapest crimper with washers to shim out for the cheapest fittings; these inevitably deformed the connector causing pull-apart failures left & right. I had regular work for a couple years re-terminating those failed connectors; enough to pay for my first digital camera which became a necessity for documenting the repairs. :-+ The f***ing lightning traps were the worst offenders; they had poor quality machining on the connector stubs and were very hard to get a good seal.

mnem
« Last Edit: June 17, 2020, 02:42:54 pm by mnementh »
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #61199 on: June 17, 2020, 02:45:25 pm »
   More inspection of the FG503. The strange "coating" is evident on the plastic, even under the aluminum panel. But ... it does not exist on the aluminum panels on any side next to the plastic. Why would that be?  :wtf: Again, it comes off easily with alcohol.

There are two of the Tektronix PCB switches with covers. The plastic side clips that hold the cover on are cracked on both. Three of the four on one switch and two of the four on the other. I do not know what type of plastic it is. I can only think of CA glue to fix them. Any other ideas?

Looks like a job for 3DP. 

mnem
>:D
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf