Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 18111135 times)

Robert763, Vince and 44 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline Saskia

• Super Contributor
  • you unlock this door with the key of imagination
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #60650 on: June 10, 2020, 02:18:55 pm »
this could actually be a clearance of old inventory, so I cannot tell if the price is justified or not. Especially since I got that diff HV probe for 370 Pesos.

I did not care to look up Tektronix prices, though ...

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #60651 on: June 10, 2020, 02:23:05 pm »

I don't know about the German Ts&Cs, but the UK ones are shown below, with my emphasis added.

Interesting point here, which I've known to confuse both British and German business folks and is worth knowing if you ever have to do business between the two countries because the law relating to contracts is very different between the two countries.

Firstly an aside, the e-commerce directive means that the contract is made in the country of the customer so in Saskia's case the contract will be determined by German law (the e-commerce directive overrides any choice of law provisions). Now, the meat of it. In the UK in law the contract is king and, barring any statutory provisions (e.g. unfair trade practices contrary to law) or general rules of legal interpretation, what is written in the contract defines the whole relationship between two parties and the rules governing that relationship. In contrast, in Germany many things that would be explicit contract provisions in a British contract are governed by statute and if there is conflict between the written terms and statute law, statute law wins and it is as if the written terms were not there (except that their existence contrary to law might be taken as evidence of bad faith).

So in this case (ipso facto operating under German law) it is not what the terms and conditions say about when the order is accepted that would prevail but what German statute says about when an order is treated as accepted. Similarly, how prices changes are managed is highly likely to be part of law in German and, knowing a tiny little bit about the way German law tends to work, I suspect that German law would favour the purchaser. If any of our German participants have experience of this I'd be interested to hear the actual answers.
Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

The following users thanked this post: tonyalbus

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #60652 on: June 10, 2020, 02:37:50 pm »

NanoVNA V2 Heads-Up:

For those who've been waiting, the NanoVNA V2 is now in stock: https://www.tindie.com/products/hcxqsgroup/nanovna-v2/

Also available from this AliEx store referred on the Tindie site: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4001053167593.html

But... there's a NEW wrinkle (because of COURSE there is  |O):

Quote from: NanoVNA V2 on Tindie

Stefan | June 6, 2020
NanoVNA
Thank you, it is received yesterday.
Is a version with a bigger display, 4 inch or more available?
best regards
stefan

Response from HCXQS group | June 9, 2020
We are working on a 4 inch display version, it may take a month

So.... begging advice for the NanoVNA lovelorn here... do I order NOW, and mod with a 4" TS display myself, or wait a month...? In my case this could be a problem... not sure we'll even be living here when it might arrive; if delays push that back 1 month plus up to 2 months for shipping from China.  |O

Anybody with firsthand experience of the existing 4" version have insight on how much PITA that mod would be...? I do REALLY want the 4" version... old eyes make small screens into tools from Hell.  :o

mnem
*wibble*  :scared:

« Last Edit: June 10, 2020, 02:41:34 pm by mnementh »
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline Kosmic

• Super Contributor
« Reply #60653 on: June 10, 2020, 02:59:08 pm »
Keep your money and wait!

Hopefully the 4" version will come with a case.

The following users thanked this post: FransW

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #60654 on: June 10, 2020, 03:44:18 pm »
I actually got this finished the day before yesterday, but the spray painting involved means that much cleaning up of over-spray has used up a lot of the interim. (My bathroom has to double for a spray booth. I've nowhere else that's both suitable and relatively easy to clean down afterwards and it was about time that the tiling around the bath got a proper deep clean anyway).

For the amount of work that went into fabricobbling this it's a really trivial, but necesssary, bit of TE. Behold, my new 0.1 \$\Omega\$, 10A lab current shunt.

Inside:

and outside:

I now have one less excuse to finish designing and start building one of the (several alternative) bench power supply designs that I've been mulling over recently.

The following users thanked this post: xrunner, BU508A, mnementh, Kosmic, tonyalbus

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #60655 on: June 10, 2020, 04:23:29 pm »

Looks good to me!

mnem

Well done; now have a spot of TEA and relax...
  ;)
« Last Edit: June 10, 2020, 04:28:19 pm by mnementh »
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Online AVGresponding

• Super Contributor
  • Exploring Rabbit Holes Since The 1970s
« Reply #60656 on: June 10, 2020, 04:25:06 pm »
Has anyone else been following the Finnish Space Program recently?

nuqDaq yuch Dapol?
Addiction count: Agilent-AVO-BlackStar-Brymen-Chauvin Arnoux-Fluke-GenRad-Hameg-HP-Keithley-IsoTech-Mastech-Megger-Metrix-Micronta-Racal-RFL-Siglent-Solartron-Tektronix-Thurlby-Time Electronics-TTi-UniT

The following users thanked this post: larrybl, SilverSolder, Wolfgang, med6753, mnementh, bd139

Offline jxjbsd

• Regular Contributor
  • 喜欢电子技术的网络工程师
« Reply #60657 on: June 10, 2020, 04:25:56 pm »
7104 received, and the smell of charred after power on.  After disassembling the power module, the original RIFA capacitor was damaged.  Everything else is normal
Analog instruments can tell us what they know, digital instruments can tell us what they guess.

The following users thanked this post: larrybl, BU508A, mnementh, Specmaster, bd139, syau, tonyalbus

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #60658 on: June 10, 2020, 04:29:40 pm »
So, SNAFU then...?  ;)

mnem
« Last Edit: June 10, 2020, 04:36:03 pm by mnementh »

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #60659 on: June 10, 2020, 05:31:11 pm »
So, SNAFU then...?  ;)

mnem

More like SNA-PHEW.  ;D
An old gray beard with an attitude.

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #60660 on: June 10, 2020, 06:01:13 pm »

Idiots, way to much explosive material used, everyone knows now that it only requires 50 grams of C4  :-DD :-DD
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

The following users thanked this post: Saskia

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #60661 on: June 10, 2020, 06:18:08 pm »
Just caught the tail end of the episode of the original Star Trek that features Teri Garr looking like this :

and I can't see Teri Garr without thinking of this :

and then I also immediately think of this :

which results in me hearing the sounds of frightened horses as I think of Frau Blücher.

The following users thanked this post: Cubdriver, mnementh, Specmaster

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #60662 on: June 10, 2020, 06:26:32 pm »

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster

Offline Wolfgang

• Super Contributor
  • Its great if it finally works !
    • Electronic Projects for Fun
« Reply #60663 on: June 10, 2020, 06:30:20 pm »

Nice try. But:

- no ANFO is space, but you could make an exception here.
- Needs an robust buffer layer between payload and launch stage (a waterbed maybe ?)
- car needs to go into a silo with charge at the bottom
- C4 is too fast. Car will be killed by shockwave

Monty Python would have loved this. And now for something completely different  >:D :-DD

Online PA0PBZ

• Super Contributor
« Reply #60664 on: June 10, 2020, 06:57:25 pm »

Maybe it didn't go to space, but it certainly went to heaven!
Keyboard error: Press F1 to continue.

Offline Grandchuck

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #60665 on: June 10, 2020, 07:04:24 pm »
I have GAS and Volt-nuttery.  I have heard the combination can be fatal.

In the meantime, waiting around to go broke, here is an environmental chamber at an early stage.  Drops from 27 C to 12 C (empty).  Time was about 15 minutes.  Should be good for experimenting with temperature compensation.

The following users thanked this post: BU508A, mnementh

Offline Wolfgang

• Super Contributor
  • Its great if it finally works !
    • Electronic Projects for Fun
« Reply #60666 on: June 10, 2020, 07:09:04 pm »
RIFA - The anti-electronics mine of the third world of engineering. :phew: Its old, its used, its got a RIFA in it, - boom.  >:D But you dont know when fate will strike. :horse:
In most cases, more time and money went into re-capping old equipment than any equivalent modern part would have cost.  :-BROKE
But one things is for sure: todays equipment will probably *not* be repaired in 20 years time.  :wtf:
« Last Edit: June 10, 2020, 10:50:08 pm by Wolfgang »

Offline SilverSolder

• Super Contributor
« Reply #60667 on: June 10, 2020, 08:00:19 pm »
RIFA - The anti-electronics mine of the third world of engineering. :phew: Its old, its used, its got a RIFA in it, - boom.  >:DBut you dont know when fate will strike. :horse:
In most cases, more time and money went into re-capping old equipment than any equivalent modern part would have cost.  :-BROKE
But one things is for sure: todays equipment will probably *not* be repaired in 20 years time.  :wtf:

Who knows... maybe in 20 years, electronics will be so cheaply made that it is just silicon printed on post cards, that carry advertising for other products!  -  stuff so cheap, that even the cheapest junk we find today will be considered esoteric connoisseur material in comparison!   What a terrible nightmare....    :scared:

Offline khs

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #60668 on: June 10, 2020, 08:24:27 pm »
RIFA - The anti-electronics mine of the third world of engineering. :phew: Its old, its used, its got a RIFA in it, - boom.  >:DBut you dont know when fate will strike. :horse:

Who knows... maybe in 20 years, electronics will be so cheaply made that it is just silicon printed on post cards, that carry advertising for other products!  -  stuff so cheap, that even the cheapest junk we find today will be considered esoteric connoisseur material in comparison!   What a terrible nightmare....    :scared:

I would agree to Wolfgang:

In 20 years all the Rigol & Siglent & Tektronix + Agilent gear will be dead due to decreasing size of the structures of the IC's.
I'm quite sure only the old gear with its tubes, maybe transistors and IC's with huge structures will survive.

Offline Saskia

• Super Contributor
  • you unlock this door with the key of imagination
« Reply #60669 on: June 10, 2020, 08:34:48 pm »
currently thinking about rare metal recovery from electronics waste. Problem there is the EU directive regarding harmful chemicals.

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #60670 on: June 10, 2020, 08:40:02 pm »
This single NTE177 diode was holding up the Tek 561B repair. Finally received it. Install tomorrow and give full beans with a wing and a prayer and a fire extinguisher.  :-DD

Online bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #60671 on: June 10, 2020, 08:45:17 pm »
Looks like an expensive 1n4148 to me  :-DD

More fixing thinkpad fun today. T440 has blown battery V+ fuse by the looks. Grr. Have to take the whole fucker to bits to get at it  >:(

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #60672 on: June 10, 2020, 08:51:07 pm »
Looks like an expensive 1n4148 to me  :-DD

More fixing thinkpad fun today. T440 has blown battery V+ fuse by the looks. Grr. Have to take the whole fucker to bits to get at it  >:(

Surprisingly the 1N4148 doesn't cross to it. But yea....I'll bet a 1N4148 would probably work and I have about 30 on hand. But with my luck lately.  :scared: :scared: :-DD

The following users thanked this post: bd139

Offline tonyalbus

• Frequent Contributor
  • To better understand, you need to open it ;-)
    • My Channel
« Reply #60673 on: June 10, 2020, 08:51:25 pm »
Some counter are all the same

Finaly some use for my gpsdo.. ;-)
Electronics enthusiast, TEA and Radio Amateur (PE1ONS)
Marconi  - TTi - Thandar - Thurmbly - HP - Fluke - Philips - Siglent - Owon - TEK - Anritsu - Keithley - AVO - BG7TBL
https://www.youtube.com/TonyAlbus

The following users thanked this post: xrunner, BU508A, mnementh

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #60674 on: June 10, 2020, 10:37:32 pm »
I have GAS and Volt-nuttery.  I have heard the combination can be fatal.

In the meantime, waiting around to go broke, here is an environmental chamber at an early stage. Drops from 27 C to 12 C (empty).  Time was about 15 minutes.  Should be good for experimenting with temperature compensation.

Unless SWMBO disapproves, only to one's bank balance. :-DD

These are most efficient with air circulation on both sides. Reverse the polarity on the Peltier element, and it'll become an oven for much broader range of operation.  >:D

So, SNAFU then...?  ;)

mnem

More like SNA-PHEW.  ;D

*groaaannnnnnn....* *lobs an armful of soggy ol' boots South of the border*

mnem
*sits back and waits for the counterstrike, eh...!?!*

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf