Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 16658649 times)

Offline capt bullshot

• Super Contributor
    • Mostly useless stuff, but nice to have: wunderkis.de
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #59375 on: May 25, 2020, 07:00:10 pm »
Don't you have any of that ceefour problem solver at hand ?

Once upon a time, there was an EE (not me) who designed a capacitive dropper voltage supply for a small instrument. The instrument had a rather large segment LCD at its front panel. At some point, customers returned these instruments failed with a burn mark in the middle of the LCD. Guess what: The tantalum that blew up (part of the cap. dropper supply) was labeled "C4" - was a running gag for some time ;)
Safety devices hinder evolution

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #59376 on: May 25, 2020, 07:01:30 pm »
C4 aka Linux in the IT world. First thing I boot up is Libreexec on one of those nice little fanless M600's and it just works out of the box.

Only problem is they only have DP connectors on them which means you can't send audio over HDMI even with a DP->HDMI cable. Argh!

Fucking shit show this stuff is. I think I might just stick to the sneakernet (usb sticks) and the current TV rather than pissing around with this stuff. Life is too short to argue with several conflicting display standards, HDCP and all that faff.

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline capt bullshot

• Super Contributor
« Reply #59377 on: May 25, 2020, 07:05:40 pm »
Only problem is they only have DP connectors on them which means you can't send audio over HDMI even with a DP->HDMI cable. Argh!

Somewhere, I've got an DP->HDMI adaptor that states "with audio". I guess you'd still need an audio capable DP output to make use of it. Apparently such a thing exists.

Offline Wolfgang

• Super Contributor
  • Its great if it finally works !
    • Electronic Projects for Fun
« Reply #59378 on: May 25, 2020, 07:06:11 pm »

Once upon a time, there was an EE (not me) who designed a capacitive dropper voltage supply for a small instrument. The instrument had a rather large segment LCD at its front panel. At some point, customers returned these instruments failed with a burn mark in the middle of the LCD. Guess what: The tantalum that blew up (part of the cap. dropper supply) was labeled "C4" - was a running gag for some time ;)

The mean thing with tants is that most of the time they die quietly and show no outer signs of their demise.
The real acoustic and pyrolytic cap is definitively the RIFA, which should be designated as C6 (hexogene). These parts
are the shaped charges of the electronic world.  8) : >:D

Offline capt bullshot

• Super Contributor
« Reply #59379 on: May 25, 2020, 07:08:14 pm »

The mean thing with tants is that most of the time they die quietly and show no outer signs of their demise.
The real acoustic and pyrolytic cap is definitively the RIFA, which should be designated as C6 (hexogene). These parts

Yes, if not enough oomph (aka activation energy from the external source) is available, tants just fail short.

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #59380 on: May 25, 2020, 07:08:21 pm »

Somewhere, I've got an DP->HDMI adaptor that states "with audio". I guess you'd still need an audio capable DP output to make use of it. Apparently such a thing exists.

Yeah I've got one. It doesn't work. Looks like an issue with the M600's DP implementation  :--

Offline Neomys Sapiens

• Super Contributor
« Reply #59381 on: May 25, 2020, 07:20:08 pm »

Those RIFAs are messy, but energy-wise no comparison, AFAIK. A tant with generous overload (line voltage) can almost used as a initiator without other chemicals.

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #59382 on: May 25, 2020, 07:23:35 pm »
Nothing compares to a miss placed 300VDC to turn components back to elementary carbon and silicon.  :o :o :palm: ;D
An old gray beard with an attitude.

Offline Neomys Sapiens

• Super Contributor
« Reply #59383 on: May 25, 2020, 07:24:29 pm »
@specmaster: they won't care. It is in their area too.

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #59384 on: May 25, 2020, 07:24:43 pm »
Don't forget to set up a pihole while you are at it ...

Saskia you are a very talent girl! What's your background? Were you born in a EE Family?

Anyhow... I used in the past pfBlocker. Not impressed with it I had to put stuff in the white list constantly.
Is the pihole a plug and forget thing? Anyhow I will give it a shot. I like not having packages installed on the pfSense box.

The pi-hole is nearly an install-and-forget thing.

https://www.heise.de/tipps-tricks/Pi-Hole-auf-dem-Raspberry-Pi-einrichten-so-geht-s-4358553.html

What I did, is: I've created a cronjob on the raspi-pi, which checks the installation of the os for updates and does a reboot every 24 hours. Improves the stability a lot.

Here it is:

Code: [Select]
pi@raspberrypi:~ $ sudo su -
root@raspberrypi:~# crontab -l                                                                                     
* 4 * * *       /root/pihole.sh                                                                                   
root@raspberrypi:~# cat /root/pihole.sh                                                                           
#!/bin/bash                                                                                                       
apt-get update                                                                                                     
apt-get upgrade -y                                                                                                 
/usr/local/bin/pihole -up                                                                                         
init 6; exit

“Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought. It always defeats order, because it is better organized.”            - Terry Pratchett -

The following users thanked this post: Zucca, URI

Offline tonyalbus

• Frequent Contributor
  • To better understand, you need to open it ;-)
    • My Channel
« Reply #59385 on: May 25, 2020, 07:31:27 pm »
Guess the TTi ws not to far off ;-)

Was fun, easy setup easy lock...
Electronics enthusiast, TEA and Radio Amateur (PE1ONS)
Marconi  - TTi - Thandar - Thurmbly - HP - Fluke - Philips - Siglent - Owon - TEK - Anritsu - Keithley - AVO - BG7TBL
https://www.youtube.com/TonyAlbus

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, bd139

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #59386 on: May 25, 2020, 07:31:56 pm »
yeah mine was bang on when I had it. Very nice counters.

The following users thanked this post: tonyalbus

Online xrunner

• Super Contributor
  • hp>Agilent>Keysight>???
« Reply #59387 on: May 25, 2020, 07:36:42 pm »

Your nights will be more restful now, having had this pleasing knowledge revealed.  ;)
I told my friends I could teach them to be funny, but they all just laughed at me.

Offline tonyalbus

• Frequent Contributor
    • My Channel
« Reply #59388 on: May 25, 2020, 07:43:40 pm »

Your nights will be more restful now, having had this pleasing knowledge revealed.  ;)

Indeed  :)
Marconi  - TTi - Thandar - Thurmbly - HP - Fluke - Philips - Siglent - Owon - TEK - Anritsu - Keithley - AVO - BG7TBL

Offline tonyalbus

• Frequent Contributor
    • My Channel
« Reply #59389 on: May 25, 2020, 07:47:04 pm »

Thanks, the PeakTech is not that good, i think the XtalOsc is old... it is a 10Mhz.. i maybe just take it out and add a BNC to the back and connect it to the Lab.Ref.
Just waiting for the Distribution amp... it has olso a devider to 1Mhz for the Marconi... hope it does not take long to arrive from China...

The following users thanked this post: bd139

Offline Saskia

• Super Contributor
  • you unlock this door with the key of imagination
« Reply #59390 on: May 25, 2020, 07:50:18 pm »
Hi anyone and especially those with a leaning towards the wonderful gear from Beaverton:
THOSE are the Tektronix-furnished or -endorsed alignment tools I told you about on Saturday during our Discord meet.
(Attachment Link)
(Attachment Link)

The good news is that the seller has one or more kits left!
The link is here:

https://www.ebay.de/itm/Tektronix-Abgleichwerkzeug-von-1984/224022530815

Should anyone of the regulars, especially Messrs. <Worsthorse> and <0culus>, be interested in obtaining them, please contact me as soon as possible. I am able and willing to provide this service for you.
Same for the british crew and <Beanflying>. Another hint: the seller also has nice adaptors. He accepts usually proposed prices around 75% (in my case, 15.-€ for the tools).

You are naughty to point me towards his site.. I just sent him an offer for his Raytheon Klystron ...

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #59391 on: May 25, 2020, 07:57:20 pm »

TTi take a lot of beating, something us Brits can be proud of  :-DD Come to think of it, I have no idea why you doubted it Tony  :-//
« Last Edit: May 25, 2020, 08:00:23 pm by Specmaster »
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #59392 on: May 25, 2020, 07:59:28 pm »
Hi anyone and especially those with a leaning towards the wonderful gear from Beaverton:
THOSE are the Tektronix-furnished or -endorsed alignment tools I told you about on Saturday during our Discord meet.
(Attachment Link)
(Attachment Link)

The link is here:

Should anyone of the regulars, especially Messrs. <Worsthorse> and <0culus>, be interested in obtaining them, please contact me as soon as possible. I am able and willing to provide this service for you.
Same for the british crew and <Beanflying>. Another hint: the seller also has nice adaptors. He accepts usually proposed prices around 75% (in my case, 15.-€ for the tools).

You are naughty to point me towards his site.. I just sent him an offer for his Raytheon Klystron ...
Maybe something else to add to your collection briefly before you have get rid off then eh?
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline Neomys Sapiens

• Super Contributor
« Reply #59393 on: May 25, 2020, 08:05:14 pm »
(Attachment Link)
(Attachment Link)

The link is here:

Saskia and a reflex klystron???
In Darmstadt a emergency task force is established. Postal boffins tie their ear flaps tighter and start to wipe antennas and charge the batteries in their DF vehicles. A NOTAM is issued effectively closing southwestern Germany to all air traffic.....

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, Specmaster

Offline Saskia

• Super Contributor
« Reply #59394 on: May 25, 2020, 08:06:13 pm »
Don't forget to set up a pihole while you are at it ...

Saskia you are a very talent girl! What's your background? Were you born in a EE Family?

Is the pihole a plug and forget thing? Anyhow I will give it a shot. I like not having packages installed on the pfSense box.
@Zucca nope, not at all. The family I was born in was abusive. May they suffer from genital necrotizing fascitis ...

I spent 8 years in one of those 3 letter organizations doing strange stuff that I am not authorized to talk about, then spent some time studying stuff (mainly computer science and neuro psychology along with clinical and organizational psychology), then went into the consulting business where I was hired out to IBM to do 2.5 level support for AIX, parallel computing and clustering. From there I was headhunted for a pharmaceutical company where I spent the past umphteen years doing project management and system integration with the current job title of Senior Principal System Engineer ... and since I am at the end of my career ladder I am looking for interesting stuff to learn. Such as Japanese, FPGA programming and rebuilding a V8 engine.

I have a knack for strange hobbies, a pyro and small arms license and some strange hobbies that I am pursuing - such as repairing pinball machines.

If anybody wants one, please don't hesitate to ask. I will be selling 2 or 3 in the near future, so if you are interested ...

« Last Edit: May 25, 2020, 08:40:18 pm by Saskia »

The following users thanked this post: Zucca, bitseeker, mnementh

Offline Saskia

• Super Contributor
« Reply #59395 on: May 25, 2020, 08:09:18 pm »

Maybe something else to add to your collection briefly before you have get rid off then eh?

naah, I need to move a couple of pinball machines, some motor bikes and some audio equipment soon. Plus about 3 cubic meters of fishing equipment. But apart from that ...
Oh, I forgot those arcade machines ...
and ...

bloody hell ...

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, Specmaster

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #59396 on: May 25, 2020, 08:43:51 pm »
C4 aka Linux in the IT world. First thing I boot up is Libreexec on one of those nice little fanless M600's and it just works out of the box.

Fucking shit show this stuff is. I think I might just stick to the sneakernet (usb sticks) and the current TV rather than pissing around with this stuff. Life is too short to argue with several conflicting display standards, HDCP and all that faff.
Weren't you going to buy one of those repeater amplifier things which accidentally strips out DRM?

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #59397 on: May 25, 2020, 08:47:29 pm »
You sold the TF930 too?  :palm: At this point I'm almost surprised the NSPCC hasn't been called yet for attempting to flog those off.

Offline Wolfgang

• Super Contributor
  • Its great if it finally works !
    • Electronic Projects for Fun
« Reply #59398 on: May 25, 2020, 08:50:32 pm »

naah, I need to move a couple of pinball machines, some motor bikes and some audio equipment soon. Plus about 3 cubic meters of fishing equipment. But apart from that ...
Oh, I forgot those arcade machines ...
and ...

bloody hell ...

A reflex Klystron is small, cute and does not use a lot of space or power.
Every household should have one. For what band is that ? The X-Band stuff is really surplus and harmless.
It has been used a lot by ham radio people before Gunn diodes and GaAs FETs.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2020, 09:19:42 pm by Wolfgang »

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #59399 on: May 25, 2020, 08:56:38 pm »
I still have my TF930, to coin a certain phrase, its going to the grave with me that is. I know that I'll get another that good at such a good price, its almost like I stole it.  :-DD
Who let Murphy in?

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf