Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 16658859 times)

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #59350 on: May 25, 2020, 03:49:04 pm »
Do you have an idea, how much space you need for this monster?
And what are you going to do with all these YT links? Download the videos?   :-DD

No idea (yet). YT links I will leave intact. Forum attachments fine. Imgur fine. Photobucket will be a cock I'm sure.

Got 790Gb free on the scratch drive so should be fine  8)

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #59351 on: May 25, 2020, 03:54:38 pm »
20 F'ing days from landing in Sydney two inquiries from me to finally get here. UPS Australia you SUCK dog balls :rant: The suck worse than Amazon in Oz and they are really crap  >:D :-DD

On a much much more positive note Rail in a sleeve wrapped in bubblewrap in a tube then wrapped in bubblewrap in an outer carton  :-+  :-+ to the seller https://www.aliexpress.com/item/33056324293.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.27424c4dFjNLzq

Cable ties securely in place lest I drop my balls all over the place, Rail/Bearing with a quick wipe over was free moving but felt really well fitted. Back in the packaging until I give it a proper clean prior to fitting.

Looks like bean is one step closer to world domination completing his collection of Predators with Lasers. How's that shipment of Amphibious Sharks coming along there, b? Still eating their way through stuck in customs...?    :-DD

mnem
20 days of sucking dog balls...? That sounds like a whole lot of VERY happy dingoes... >:D
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline Zucca

• Supporter
  • EE meid in Itali
« Reply #59352 on: May 25, 2020, 03:55:43 pm »
Internal DNS -> fuck it, just use whatever comes with your router / firewall. Not worth any more effort than that. If you want to use it for content blocking, just use ublock in a browser.

Upstream DNS from your ISP -> just use google's DNS servers.

Fuuu it I go with big G then.
I do not need an external DNS. So after reading this, I will use this DNS in my pfSense box:
127.0.0.1 (Local Unbound)
8.8.8.8 (Upstream DNS Google #1)
8.8.4.4 (Upstream DNS Google #2)

Moreover:

- DNSSEC Support enabled.

- DNS over TLS for upstream forwarders to the DNS Resolver enabled.

- System Domain Local Zone Type:
Transparent: The DNS Resolver will answer the query from local data if there is a match. If there is no match in local data, the query will be passed to upstream DNS servers. If there is a match in the local data, but the type of data for which the query is being made doesn’t exist in the local data, the DNS Resolver will return a no error/no data message.

- Redirecting all DNS Requests to pfSense enabled.

Interesting will be to see how the Local OpenVPN Server will play along this.

and here I am, I thought DNS was just converting a string to some numbers...
« Last Edit: May 25, 2020, 03:57:55 pm by Zucca »
Can't know what you don't love. St. Augustine
Can't love what you don't know. Zucca

Offline Saskia

• Super Contributor
  • you unlock this door with the key of imagination
« Reply #59353 on: May 25, 2020, 04:33:36 pm »
 Don't forget to set up a pihole while you are at it ...

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #59354 on: May 25, 2020, 04:45:15 pm »

Am I the only one curious to know what Dave does think about us? He barely mention us.
PS: A big thank to you all, not only we do not need a mod, but also there is always something interesting to learn here and the tech level is very high for my standards.
I think you'll find that Dave does some moderation himself and there are others that help. If you watch many of his videos he often mentions us in them as we are now one of if the biggest threads on the forum and I think that he is very proud of his forum and rightly so. I understand that it is possibly the largest in the world but I do often wonder just how much longer he can continue to finance it given the current state of the world. I think we owe a lot to Dave for his generosity in provided us with this lovely platform and I for one salute him.

I've seen Dave perusing the thread many times... usually on a Sunday afternoon when we're really hopping and probably the most active thread ATM. I think he's taking a "hands-off, wait & see" approach, as we are a big draw. Lets face it, we generate a LARGE portion of the content & bandwidth on the forum; every set of eyeballs here (even lurking) is bank for him. As long as we don't devolve into Godwin's Law Hell, I'm pretty sure he's gonna keep the doors open; a little controversy is good for business. ;)

mnem
 :-/O
« Last Edit: May 25, 2020, 04:50:18 pm by mnementh »
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #59355 on: May 25, 2020, 04:51:12 pm »
Labour sold them out under PFI. Conservatives are just finishing the job. Have Bupa free at work  :phew:

Edit: Just a moan as well about some of the shit out there and how it works. People bitch about amazon and say "hey it's unfair with local shops".

Amazon supply chain vs other retailers:

Supplier -> Amazon logistics -> you .... pay £74.99
Supplier -> local distributor -> retailer -> logistics -> you .... pay £109.99

Which is the issue with this case I'm looking at. The price differential comes from a more efficient supply chain which has environmental, pricing and support benefits. I stand by efficiency over job creation which is what we are really doing.

If only people stopped fucking. That'd solve all the problems  :-DD
In the long run monopolists owning the market and deciding how things go for everyone is never a good idea.
One of the great problems with monopolists is that you get a reduced choice. Its very much what they stock, take it or leave it, consumer choice is eroded.

That was Squalid Mart's stock in trade, as soon as the old man died and the greedy-ass kids took over. The problem here is that you're equating Amazon with that shithole, which it is NOT. What Amazon brought to the market IS CHOICE (sometimes entirely too much of it ;)) and actual customer support. That's what made it a world power in less time than it takes to raise a kid. Yes Amazon is a monopoly, but IN A MARKET THEY created by providing what was missing from all the other markets. |O

In short, they ARE capitalism incarnate; and honestly, probably the single most positive example you'll ever see of this socio-economic system. As long as we continue to believe in the idiocy of a system that prioritizes acquisition of money and makes it the only end goal, there will be no consideration of what is best for people.  :-//

mnem
WalMart is a case study in "The road to Hell is paved with good intentions".
« Last Edit: May 25, 2020, 04:57:22 pm by mnementh »

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #59356 on: May 25, 2020, 04:56:39 pm »
Pray tell, how is it cursed? It's fully recovered from the fireworks display.  :-DD

Well, it DID land on YOUR workbench...  >:D

mnem
*ducks soggy ol' boot hurled from the vicinity of upstate New York*

The following users thanked this post: bd139

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #59357 on: May 25, 2020, 05:11:05 pm »
(Attachment Link)

Am I the only one curious to know what Dave does think about us? He barely mention us.
PS: A big thank to you all, not only we do not need a mod, but also there is always something interesting to learn here and the tech level is very high for my standards.
I think you'll find that Dave does some moderation himself and there are others that help. If you watch many of his videos he often mentions us in them as we are now one of if the biggest threads on the forum and I think that he is very proud of his forum and rightly so. I understand that it is possibly the largest in the world but I do often wonder just how much longer he can continue to finance it given the current state of the world. I think we owe a lot to Dave for his generosity in provided us with this lovely platform and I for one salute him.

If it ever disappears I'll quite happily fund + sysadmin another forum for TEA out of my own pocket on digitalocean or something. And it'll not throw quite as many 503's  :-DD

In all honesty, it might not be a bad idea to hold a fundraiser and create a mirror site independently funded & hosted from a different geographic location. I'm sure Dave has considered it, but right now he's already been forced to downsize his lab, so prolly not going to happen any time soon unless someone else with the know-how steps up. :-//

mnem
moo...?

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #59358 on: May 25, 2020, 05:22:00 pm »
Pray tell, how is it cursed? It's fully recovered from the fireworks display.  :-DD

mnem

Well yes, initially we had our issues it threw a temper tantrum by stinking up the place but we have since patched up our differences and are getting along just fine. Gee....sounds like You and Me.  :P :P :P :P :-DD :-DD :-DD :-DD   
An old gray beard with an attitude.

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #59359 on: May 25, 2020, 05:27:26 pm »
Thanks for the compliment, old friend.  :-+

mnem
};=)~~~~<

The following users thanked this post: med6753

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #59360 on: May 25, 2020, 05:28:53 pm »

mnem

Well yes, initially we had our issues it threw a temper tantrum by stinking up the place but we have since patched up our differences and are getting along just fine. Gee....sounds like You and Me.  :P :P :P :P :-DD :-DD :-DD :-DD

You mean, like an old married couple?   :-DD   ;D
“Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought. It always defeats order, because it is better organized.”            - Terry Pratchett -

The following users thanked this post: med6753, mnementh

Offline McBryce

• Super Contributor
« Reply #59361 on: May 25, 2020, 05:29:42 pm »
As some of you are a lot more versed in computer matters, maybe someone can help:
- my T60 does have a headphone jack and an external mic jack. Does that mean that it will not take those headsets with a 4-circuit tip-and-ring connector?
- Can a computer headset have a PTT key?
- I'm looking for a lightweight headset, with minimal pressure. I would like it to have a volume control, and, if that exists, a PTT. But it should be able to work without PTT too. Should be good/premium quality. No gaming headset, no closed ones.

I can recommend this one (I've bought it for the discord sessions, works nicely under Linux):

https://www.amazon.de/Sennheiser-PC-USB-Headset-schwarz/dp/B005HWEZGG/

The microphone is on the left!!?? That's messed up! :D

McBryce.
So to is my microphone, but you get used to it.

I use a Jabra Link 360. Not because I chose to, but because the company chose them. It can be used on both sides (mic spins 180). It's ok as far as audio quality is concerned, but a slightly better battery life wouldn't have hurt it.

McBryce.
30 Years making cars more difficult to repair.

Offline Neomys Sapiens

• Super Contributor
« Reply #59362 on: May 25, 2020, 05:41:24 pm »
Hi anyone and especially those with a leaning towards the wonderful gear from Beaverton:
THOSE are the Tektronix-furnished or -endorsed alignment tools I told you about on Saturday during our Discord meet.
996884-0
996886-1

The good news is that the seller has one or more kits left!
The link is here:

https://www.ebay.de/itm/Tektronix-Abgleichwerkzeug-von-1984/224022530815

Should anyone of the regulars, especially Messrs. <Worsthorse> and <0culus>, be interested in obtaining them, please contact me as soon as possible. I am able and willing to provide this service for you.
Same for the british crew and <Beanflying>. Another hint: the seller also has nice adaptors. He accepts usually proposed prices around 75% (in my case, 15.-€ for the tools).

The following users thanked this post: edavid

Offline Saskia

• Super Contributor
« Reply #59363 on: May 25, 2020, 05:44:32 pm »

mnem

You mean, like an old married couple?   :-DD   ;D

Get a room  :-DD  :-DD

The following users thanked this post: Brumby, BU508A, med6753, mnementh, Specmaster, Neomys Sapiens, bd139, nixiefreqq

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #59364 on: May 25, 2020, 05:59:28 pm »
Right now I'm tucking into the first Chicken Chinese Curry, topped with fat chips to celebrate our local takeaway has re-opened for deliveries. It's the first I've had since the lockdown started and its fucking beautiful, all being washed down with a glorious chilled Ginger Grizzly beer  :popcorn: and no I'm not sharing it with you lot.

To steal one of mnem's lines, Aint I a stinker   >:D :-DD
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #59365 on: May 25, 2020, 06:02:27 pm »
Right now I'm tucking into the first Chicken Chinese Curry, topped with fat chips to celebrate our local takeaway has re-opened for deliveries. It's the first I've had since the lockdown started and its fucking beautiful, all being washed down with a glorious chilled Ginger Grizzly beer  :popcorn: and no I'm not sharing it with you lot.

Ah correction....that's not his line...that's MY line. I used it first long time ago.  ;D
An old gray beard with an attitude.

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #59366 on: May 25, 2020, 06:07:29 pm »
Thanks for the compliment, old friend.  :-+

mnem
};=)~~~~<
Who are you calling old?!

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #59367 on: May 25, 2020, 06:12:44 pm »

Ah correction....that's not his line...that's MY line. I used it first long time ago.  ;D

I think Bugs has prior lien on the phrase, predating all of us by a good decade or more. ;)

mnem
 >:D
« Last Edit: May 25, 2020, 06:14:26 pm by mnementh »

The following users thanked this post: Brumby

Offline Saskia

• Super Contributor
« Reply #59368 on: May 25, 2020, 06:17:59 pm »
Received the x370 board back from Asus and it boots just fine with an R7 3700x and 3000 memory. That was a bargain for 20 pesos

The following users thanked this post: bd139

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #59369 on: May 25, 2020, 06:19:10 pm »

To steal one of mnem's  meds lines, Aint I a stinker >:D :-DD

Gee, sorry, fixed that for yah  :-DD :-DD :-DD
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline Zucca

• Supporter
  • EE meid in Itali
« Reply #59370 on: May 25, 2020, 06:22:43 pm »
Don't forget to set up a pihole while you are at it ...

Saskia you are a very talent girl! What's your background? Were you born in a EE Family?

Anyhow... I used in the past pfBlocker. Not impressed with it I had to put stuff in the white list constantly.
Is the pihole a plug and forget thing? Anyhow I will give it a shot. I like not having packages installed on the pfSense box.

« Last Edit: May 25, 2020, 06:53:45 pm by Zucca »

Offline Zucca

• Supporter
  • EE meid in Itali
« Reply #59371 on: May 25, 2020, 06:25:39 pm »

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #59372 on: May 25, 2020, 06:28:19 pm »

mnem
Has anyone told NORAD that the incoming is not a ballistic missile but just a soggy old boot? 
Who let Murphy in?

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #59373 on: May 25, 2020, 06:41:36 pm »
So 3 hours and fuck Samsung's shitty HDCP implementation. I'm going to steal my content and be done with this shit now.

Edit: to be clear, my Samsung TV has the world's worst HDCP implementation that basically doesn't work so I'm going to use one of those little Lenovo M600's and see if it'll play 1080p streams off LibreELEC which were leeched off 1337x.to instead of legit streaming services seeing as this level of fuckery does not demand my money any further.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2020, 06:47:36 pm by bd139 »

Offline Saskia

• Super Contributor
« Reply #59374 on: May 25, 2020, 06:55:12 pm »
Don't you have any of that ceefour problem solver at hand ?

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf