Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 17705931 times)

Vince, dxl and 83 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #59150 on: May 23, 2020, 05:15:43 pm »
Whew.....I hit power on and stood back with fire extinguisher in hand.  :scared:

And the Type 561B powered up! No flames, no magic smoke.

+300VDC reads +299.8VDC
+125VDC reads +125.2VDC
-12.2VDC reads -12.1VDC
-100VDC reads -99.8VDC

This is with no plug-ins installed. I'll set the voltages once I have both plug-ins installed.

I even have a spot on the CRT which means I have HV.  :-/O :-DMM

Whew!  :-DD
An old gray beard with an attitude.

The following users thanked this post: BU508A, mnementh, Specmaster, bd139, ch_scr, Kosmic, 0culus

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #59151 on: May 23, 2020, 05:20:14 pm »
Hey, they're YOUR lips... go crazy. Maybe even try a little tongue... :-DD

mnem
I'd pay to see that. :bullshit:

China is your pal:

:-DD    *brzzzzt*     *zappp*
“Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought. It always defeats order, because it is better organized.”            - Terry Pratchett -

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #59152 on: May 23, 2020, 05:24:06 pm »

mnem
*backs slowly away from the man with Electric Lips of Doom...*
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

The following users thanked this post: BU508A

Offline Ero-Shan

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #59153 on: May 23, 2020, 05:35:38 pm »
Yes, the bug has bitten you.  :-+

That 8010A and 8000A look brand new. Much cleaner than mine.  :-/O

Not just the Flukes. The Philips also looks brand new. Seems it has been kept in pitch black darkness for the last 35+ years. There's no other explanation for the plastic not disintegrating. :-DD

Very nice!

Offline Neomys Sapiens

• Super Contributor
« Reply #59154 on: May 23, 2020, 05:56:42 pm »
@med6753: A well deserved enjoyment of your perseverance - I hope it endures!

The following users thanked this post: med6753

Offline Zucca

• Supporter
  • EE meid in Itali
« Reply #59155 on: May 23, 2020, 05:58:27 pm »
http://info.okinternational.com/gt90-gt120

Metcal with variable temperature adjustment?

:-//
Can't know what you don't love. St. Augustine
Can't love what you don't know. Zucca

The following users thanked this post: bd139

Offline tonyalbus

• Frequent Contributor
  • To better understand, you need to open it ;-)
    • My Channel
« Reply #59156 on: May 23, 2020, 06:04:43 pm »
Whew.....I hit power on and stood back with fire extinguisher in hand.  :scared:

And the Type 561B powered up! No flames, no magic smoke.

+300VDC reads +299.8VDC
+125VDC reads +125.2VDC
-12.2VDC reads -12.1VDC
-100VDC reads -99.8VDC

This is with no plug-ins installed. I'll set the voltages once I have both plug-ins installed.

I even have a spot on the CRT which means I have HV.  :-/O :-DMM

Whew!  :-DD

Yeah!! Well done, thats what makes a good day
Electronics enthusiast, TEA and Radio Amateur (PE1ONS)
Marconi  - TTi - Thandar - Thurmbly - HP - Fluke - Philips - Siglent - Owon - TEK - Anritsu - Keithley - AVO - BG7TBL
https://www.youtube.com/TonyAlbus

The following users thanked this post: med6753

Offline tonyalbus

• Frequent Contributor
    • My Channel
« Reply #59157 on: May 23, 2020, 06:06:57 pm »

Not just the Flukes. The Philips also looks brand new. Seems it has been kept in pitch black darkness for the last 35+ years. There's no other explanation for the plastic not disintegrating. :-DD

Very nice!

Its The Netherlands... we have 4 seasons... rainey cold winter, cold winter, rainey cold and summer ;-)  .. no UV..  makes a huge difference.... oh yeah and we complain about bad weather.. ;-)
but our summers are very nice.. the rest is good for TE ..
« Last Edit: May 23, 2020, 06:17:51 pm by tonyalbus »
Marconi  - TTi - Thandar - Thurmbly - HP - Fluke - Philips - Siglent - Owon - TEK - Anritsu - Keithley - AVO - BG7TBL

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster

Offline tonyalbus

• Frequent Contributor
    • My Channel
« Reply #59158 on: May 23, 2020, 06:10:15 pm »
Not to bad,
only the 8000A is a bit off

12.09 sometimes 12.08

8000A's are drifty and the reason is that Fluke went with an unregulated +5V supply. If that 8000A doesn't have the battery option there is a fix. You'll need to install an additional small power transformer because the original can't provide the voltage headroom for a 7805 chip to regulate. I also upgraded the +/- 15V supplies with modern IC's.

Thanks!..
it was designed for 220Volt back then, here in the netherlands.. now we run on 230.. maybe thats just enough to use the excisting transformer. and the 78/79. ill have to check first..
thank you guys for all the suggestions!

Tony

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #59159 on: May 23, 2020, 06:12:38 pm »
@BU508A I just tried my crystal tester as a frequency counter and its reasonably accurate as well. I certainly would not wish to claim that the reading was spot on, but it is certainly good enough to give you a quick and dirty sanity check and I think that these little kits (in their cases) are good enough to be used as a mini portable tool kit for use in the field provided of course they fit the type of equipment that falls within their scope. I'm actually quite impressed with their capabilities given the cost of them. Still much prefer my normal bench gear though of course it goes without saying, but if you had to use them, then within limits they would do the job.  :-+
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

The following users thanked this post: BU508A

Offline tonyalbus

• Frequent Contributor
    • My Channel
« Reply #59160 on: May 23, 2020, 06:20:41 pm »
@BU508A I just tried my crystal tester as a frequency counter and its reasonably accurate as well. I certainly would not wish to claim that the reading was spot on, but it is certainly good enough to give you a quick and dirty sanity check and I think that these little kits (in their cases) are good enough to be used as a mini portable tool kit for use in the field provided of course they fit the type of equipment that falls within their scope. I'm actually quite impressed with their capabilities given the cost of them. Still much prefer my normal bench gear though of course it goes without saying, but if you had to use them, then within limits they would do the job.  :-+

They are nice for the money you pay...

docs are in the description or comments

The following users thanked this post: BU508A, bd139

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #59161 on: May 23, 2020, 06:43:19 pm »
8000A supply is a piece of shit. Also watch out as there’s mains on the unmasked board! Really don’t like those meters.

Also the regulator transistors run hot and tend to go low beta so if you’re getting any weird stuff it might be PSRR related. Swap them out for new transistors and sorted.

If you think any of that is bad then look at amazon’s retail and cloud operations.

At the end of the day it’s hyper optimised capitalism. It’s a shit show and we have to live in it. If we break it we hurt more people.

Us stupid humans really fucked up didn’t we.
It's hurting people the way it is too. The article describes reasonably well how many of these ventures are a no win situation. Everyone involved or dragged in loses out, except perhaps a few parties mostly out of sight and well isolated from the practicalities.

When it's become a business model to boot infinite startups with the express purpose of one being bought out sooner or later, instead of creating actual added value, you know things aren't what they should. People don't start businesses to start a business, but to inflate a bubble big enough to be interesting. There's no long game or sustainability. But maybe the joke's on us, backwards plebs infatuated with the notion a business should produce something of value or use. Toiling our lives away for meagre gains like the peasants we are.

The following users thanked this post: mansaxel

Offline AVGresponding

• Super Contributor
  • Exploring Rabbit Holes Since The 1970s
« Reply #59162 on: May 23, 2020, 07:22:28 pm »

Very nice!

Its The Netherlands... we have 4 seasons... rainey cold winter, cold winter, rainey cold and summer ;-)  .. no UV..  makes a huge difference.... oh yeah and we complain about bad weather.. ;-)

Don't try to out-rain me, I live in Britain, and have Dutch ancestry to boot!
nuqDaq yuch Dapol?
Addiction count: Agilent-AVO-BlackStar-Brymen-Chauvin Arnoux-Fluke-GenRad-Hameg-HP-Keithley-IsoTech-Mastech-Megger-Metrix-Micronta-Racal-RFL-Siglent-Solartron-Tektronix-Thurlby-Time Electronics-TTi-UniT

The following users thanked this post: tonyalbus

Offline tonyalbus

• Frequent Contributor
    • My Channel
« Reply #59163 on: May 23, 2020, 07:46:10 pm »

Very nice!

Don't try to out-rain me, I live in Britain, and have Dutch ancestry to boot!

https://youtu.be/uxRpMP3NqUs
« Last Edit: May 23, 2020, 07:49:46 pm by tonyalbus »

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #59164 on: May 23, 2020, 07:47:56 pm »

They are nice for the money you pay...

docs are in the description or comments

The one you built is not exactly the same, they are however very similar.
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #59165 on: May 23, 2020, 08:47:37 pm »
Bugger. My little Tenma power supply started occasionally making a racket while under load. Sounds like the fan bearings are rattling about as it speeds up. I'm not really keen on replacing the fans. Maybe I can grease things up a bit, but they're somewhat tucked away. It still does its job, so that's good.

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #59166 on: May 23, 2020, 08:51:08 pm »
Is that one of those Korad rebrands? Are they any good (apart from the shit fan  :-DD) ?

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #59167 on: May 23, 2020, 09:17:13 pm »
Is that one of those Korad rebrands? Are they any good (apart from the shit fan  :-DD) ?
Tenma is the Farnell rebrand. I like the little buggers. They're quite utilitarian, but do the job without much fuss even at the extremes of their rated output. Some don't like the interface but I much prefer it over the other power supplies I've used. Let me put it this way: if I were to drop this one I wouldn't hesitate to get another.

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #59168 on: May 23, 2020, 09:21:11 pm »
Cool. I may invest in one at some point as they are considerably smaller than my PL330QMD!

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #59169 on: May 23, 2020, 09:26:07 pm »
Bugger. My little Tenma power supply started occasionally making a racket while under load. Sounds like the fan bearings are rattling about as it speeds up. I'm not really keen on replacing the fans. Maybe I can grease things up a bit, but they're somewhat tucked away. It still does its job, so that's good.
Thats the ones with the setting lock?
Who let Murphy in?

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #59170 on: May 23, 2020, 09:28:25 pm »
Tenma is the Farnell rebrand. I like the little buggers. They're quite utilitarian, but do the job without much fuss even at the extremes of their rated output. Some don't like the interface but I much prefer it over the other power supplies I've used. Let me put it this way: if I were to drop this one I wouldn't hesitate to get another.

My Tenma PSU is the splitting image of the Korad KA series. I got it cheap as it was returned to Farnell for unknown reasons. The UI is usable, but I've seen better. There's a rotary control which increments according to which digit is selected - that's fine for increasing in 10/100/1000mV steps, e.g. 0.987 -> 1.087 if the second digit is selected.

Mine has worked fine, except that one of the rotary controls became very noisy. It is an electrical quadrature switch, so I cured the problem by applying IPA then DeOxit.
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #59171 on: May 23, 2020, 09:35:25 pm »
Thats the ones with the setting lock?
I suppose so? It does have a lock. It's from the same series tggzzz just posted about. Dave did a review on them too, but that's back when they had some issues that are fixed now.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2020, 10:07:28 pm by Mr. Scram »

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #59172 on: May 23, 2020, 09:47:48 pm »
Cool. I may invest in one at some point as they are considerably smaller than my PL330QMD!
I feel it's one of those bits of kit you can't really go wrong with. It does the job without throwing a fit and you get more than your money's worth. It's not perfect but neither is equipment many times its price.

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #59173 on: May 23, 2020, 09:57:41 pm »
Yeah exactly. I will probably lose the PL330QMD and get a single Tenma and gain a lot of space and about 100 quid  :-DD

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #59174 on: May 23, 2020, 10:30:26 pm »
Well, eBay has ceased to be shit - for me at least.

Just scored an Agilent E3610A for £82 + a very reasonable £6.71 postage. Cushty. For those, like me, who don't keep an encyclopaedic list of model numbers in their heads that's a 2U 1/2 rack DC bench PSU 0-8V@3A or 0-15V@2A. Fanless, naturally, like the rest of my slowly growing stack of HP/Agilent/Harrison 1/2 rack PSUs. Due Weds/Thurs all the way from sunny Southend-on-Sea. I beat some other cheapskate by one bid increment over the minimum bid - if that was one of the resident fellow cheapskates, my apologies.

In other news, I found my de-burring tool and a little packet of mixed precision/fast op amps that I'd been trying to find for weeks. Bloody cat had batted them out of the tray they were in, and down the back of the bedroom bookcase when she'd been climbing up to the forbidden heights of War-Drobe. Normally she limits her electronics 'help' to ESD testing.
Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

The following users thanked this post: xrunner, mnementh, Specmaster, bd139, Kosmic

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf