Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 16666970 times)

Jouko and 47 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline Ero-Shan

• Frequent Contributor
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #58550 on: May 15, 2020, 03:34:21 pm »
Look what I've got! This time it is not TE, but components galore ...

Set them up for a little photo session (just for you, of course) on my living room table:

Most of it is crap that that I already have in abundance, but who wouldn't need another 300 CA5010? :palm:

My wall of drawers allowed for 4 more storage cabinets and now looks like this:

I can accommodate 2 more in my lab, but that's it.
There's several broken and missing drawers, but I should be able to get more than enough for these 6 cabinets. There will be a helluva lot of sorting, cleaning and tag printing going in in the foreseeable future. :P

The following users thanked this post: BU508A, Specmaster, Mortymore, bd139, FransW, Kosmic

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #58551 on: May 15, 2020, 03:35:36 pm »
Holy crap that's a lot of stuff  :-DD

The following users thanked this post: Mr. Scram

Offline psykok

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #58552 on: May 15, 2020, 03:44:24 pm »

Accessing the PSU boards is a nightmare  in this scope.
Anyway  I found a blown fuse and the rifa caps are not is great condition.

I will replace the fuse and the rifa (if I can find the adequate  replacement parts) and see it the display comes  back.

Accessing the PSU on a no option 2445/2465 is not bad. This, my friend, is the nightmare. I fully optioned 2445/2465 with DMM and Counter/Trigger options.

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/tektronix-2465b-oscilloscope-teardown/msg1861713/#msg1861713

Someone please enlighten me why the repair of the 2XXX series Tek CRT scopes makes sense at all. They are:

- a nightmare to access parts
- full of dried electrolytics and RIFA time bombs
- built to overheat (at least the faster models), with special unobtainium ICs needed to repair
- in no ways better than any 1K€ 2020 scope with more channels, better frequency response, digital memory, ...

The old 7XXX modular types had some class and were a pleasure to fix in comparison.

So, is TEA related to masochistic practices or occult religions ? Cargo cult ? The church of TEK ?  >:D |O :wtf: :horse:

Why because we like that  .... 100% masochistic :-DD  |O

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #58553 on: May 15, 2020, 03:54:23 pm »
Holy stuff that's a lot of crap  :-DD

FTFY.  :-DD

mnem
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline Neomys Sapiens

• Super Contributor
« Reply #58554 on: May 15, 2020, 03:57:59 pm »
this arrived yesterday.

its acquisition was not an attempt to exercise the second amendment or to achieve parity with the meter freaks.  (but it would be useful in dispatching nixie rapists).

it cleaned up ok outside and a little ipa on the zebra strips took care of some minor lcd ghosting. 

the dc input impedance spec in the manual says "10 Megohms....nominal".  turns out that means 11 Meg on the 3v range, 10.1 on the 30v range, and 10.0 on the 300v range.  it is possible to select the range manually so with a little attention it should be useful with an hv probe.

it does not feel at all like a toy (unlike the fluke 101 that was also considered).   

should probably check with the county sheriff to see if my concealed carry permit covers this thing too.
Don't go there! He will make you use the big plastic protector all the time!

And who are you calling 'meter freaks'? That applies to people with more than 50 multimeters only, right?

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #58555 on: May 15, 2020, 04:09:46 pm »

I will replace the fuse and the rifa (if I can find the adequate  replacement parts) and see it the display comes  back.

Accessing the PSU on a no option 2445/2465 is not bad. This, my friend, is the nightmare. I fully optioned 2445/2465 with DMM and Counter/Trigger options.

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/tektronix-2465b-oscilloscope-teardown/msg1861713/#msg1861713

Someone please enlighten me why the repair of the 2XXX series Tek CRT scopes makes sense at all. They are:

- built to overheat (at least the faster models), with special unobtainium ICs needed to repair
- in no ways better than any 1K€ 2020 scope with more channels, better frequency response, digital memory, ...

The old 7XXX modular types had some class and were a pleasure to fix in comparison.

So, is TEA related to masochistic practices or occult religions ? Cargo cult ? The church of TEK ?  >:D |O :wtf: :horse:

Because they are the most evolved "portable" analog CRO ever made. The engineering is a thing of beauty; and a completely different design ethos from the 7xxx family. All the problems you recite in your "shit litany" (what my mother used to call it when I'd be working at my bench and something makes me go "shit... shit... shit...! SHIT!!!") revolve around it being literally too advanced a design for the tube-lickers (you know who you are :P) to service safely.

The "overheating" problem is not a problem if you USE IT AS DIRECTED in the manual, FFS. They do WARN YOU not to block the air vents, but they don't bludgeon you with a mallet.  :-//

And if you're going to SERVICE the thing and can't be arsed to acquire/read the SERVICE MANUAL which tells you in big red letters DON'T RUN THE DUCKING THING WITHOUT THE TRUCKING COVER ON IT!!! , you deserve what you plucking get. :palm:

NOT IDIOT-PROOF ≠ BAD DESIGN. |O

mnem
 :horse:
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster

Offline Ice-Tea

• Super Contributor
    • Freelance Hardware Engineer
« Reply #58556 on: May 15, 2020, 04:14:44 pm »

If you take the time to learn, great learning experiences?

I won't go into the analog/digital rabbit hole, but 1k gets you, what, 4 channels @200Mhz? 300€ gets you a Tek with 4ch and 300Mhz. Not even saying that's better, but there *is* an argument beyond 'yeah, but it's a Tek'.

The following users thanked this post: Neomys Sapiens

Offline mansaxel

• Super Contributor
  • SA0XLR
    • My very static home page
« Reply #58557 on: May 15, 2020, 04:20:53 pm »
So it has to be a special version of the Model 8, MkIV, made specifically for the MOD with it being tropicalised for robustness.                                                                     

Yes, tropicalisation is another clue. Have to measure correctly while about to wage war in the colonies, oh, wait, we've got none left?

Offline AVGresponding

• Super Contributor
  • Exploring Rabbit Holes Since The 1970s
« Reply #58558 on: May 15, 2020, 04:25:18 pm »
this arrived yesterday.

its acquisition was not an attempt to exercise the second amendment or to achieve parity with the meter freaks.  (but it would be useful in dispatching nixie rapists).

it cleaned up ok outside and a little ipa on the zebra strips took care of some minor lcd ghosting. 

the dc input impedance spec in the manual says "10 Megohms....nominal".  turns out that means 11 Meg on the 3v range, 10.1 on the 30v range, and 10.0 on the 300v range.  it is possible to select the range manually so with a little attention it should be useful with an hv probe.

it does not feel at all like a toy (unlike the fluke 101 that was also considered).   

should probably check with the county sheriff to see if my concealed carry permit covers this thing too.

And who are you calling 'meter freaks'? That applies to people with more than 50 multimeters only, right?

I think it means people with at least 2 of every model of meter ever produced.   ^-^
nuqDaq yuch Dapol?
Addiction count: Agilent-AVO-BlackStar-Brymen-Chauvin Arnoux-Fluke-GenRad-Hameg-HP-Keithley-IsoTech-Mastech-Megger-Metrix-Micronta-Racal-RFL-Siglent-Solartron-Tektronix-Thurlby-Time Electronics-TTi-UniT

Offline tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #58559 on: May 15, 2020, 04:29:43 pm »
@tggzzz found something for you https://www.ebay.com/itm/202991425679

Tempting, but I can't find any specification and I really don't want more boxes ATM.

There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #58560 on: May 15, 2020, 04:32:02 pm »
... but 1k gets you, what, 4 channels @200Mhz? ...

1k€ is more like 4ch 100MHz, you'll have to spend another 1k€ to get you to 200MHz (legitimately - more can be had for the 1000€ if you're prepared to do some hacking).
Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

Offline tggzzz

• Super Contributor
« Reply #58561 on: May 15, 2020, 04:34:44 pm »
Looks like the computer side of it is working as the controls are illuminated correctly. Probably power supply. Hopefully not one of the ASICs.

I've got a non-A 2445 here at the moment which has original parts in it :scared:

Agreed, looks like it booted with no errors and the issue is in the CRT circuits.

Quite possibly, but there can be subtle problems around the DAC.

Check the PSU voltages first, of course.

If you can get it working, don't forget to exorcise the RIFAs, lest they remind you of their (non)existence.

Getting the PSU out isn't too difficult, but it is a little fiddly. Take photos, keep sets of screws in separate plastic ziploc bags.

Personally I would sort out whether or not you can get the scope working, and only then worry about the RIFAs. There's no point replacing the RIFAs if other faults are too expensive to repair.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".

Offline nixiefreqq

• Super Contributor
« Reply #58562 on: May 15, 2020, 04:35:33 pm »
this arrived yesterday.

"freak" is a self diagnosed condition.  it is not a term that would provoke a fight when applied to counters.

but meters?  collecting meters is just odd (i do not consider the dozen or so down in the basement a collection.  in fact.......am not entirely sure how they all got there.)

free range primate

Offline Neomys Sapiens

• Super Contributor
« Reply #58563 on: May 15, 2020, 04:38:48 pm »
this arrived yesterday.

I think it means people with at least 2 of every model of meter ever produced.   ^-^
Thanks. Feeling relieved now.

Offline tggzzz

• Super Contributor
« Reply #58564 on: May 15, 2020, 04:39:43 pm »

I have a 2465dms, which I wasn't planning to recap before passing it on. You've convinced me not to :)

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline McBryce

• Super Contributor
« Reply #58565 on: May 15, 2020, 04:43:01 pm »
Because one is never enough I bought an other faulty Tek scope
(Attachment Link)

An excellent choice  :-+

Trust me they are not alone, even Amazon are doing it on things that are marked as in stock and on same day or next day Prime. They say that they are prioritising urgent essential deliveries.

I'm still getting prime stuff same and next day here  :-//

I'm not sure how they can prioritise such stuff looking at the problem of identifying priority suppliers and items so I suggest they are overloaded or doing a shitty job.

After a quick check the scope is in good condition, buttons  are workings but there is no beam.
Only the brightness  work on the dispplay.

No beam but brightness?  Not sure what you mean by that.   :-// Can you provide a picture. And do you hear relays clicking as the scope powers up?

Those scopes have display illumination that illuminates the grid, maybe that's what he means?

McBryce.

Or possibly he has readout display but no beam?  :-//

The readout display is a beam.

McBryce.
30 Years making cars more difficult to repair.

Offline AVGresponding

• Super Contributor
  • Exploring Rabbit Holes Since The 1970s
« Reply #58566 on: May 15, 2020, 04:43:21 pm »

Tempting, but I can't find any specification and I really don't want more boxes ATM.

Ex-MOD, and looks like Vishay own the brand now, can't imagine the specs being anything other than quite good.

His pricing though... I think I will throw a very]lowball offer.
nuqDaq yuch Dapol?
Addiction count: Agilent-AVO-BlackStar-Brymen-Chauvin Arnoux-Fluke-GenRad-Hameg-HP-Keithley-IsoTech-Mastech-Megger-Metrix-Micronta-Racal-RFL-Siglent-Solartron-Tektronix-Thurlby-Time Electronics-TTi-UniT

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #58567 on: May 15, 2020, 04:56:17 pm »

Because they are the most evolved "portable" analog CRO ever made. The engineering is a thing of beauty; and a completely different design ethos from the 7xxx family. All the problems you recite in your "shit litany" (what my mother used to call it when I'd be working at my bench and something makes me go "shit... shit... shit...! SHIT!!!") revolve around it being literally too advanced a design for the tube-lickers (you know who you are :P) to service safely.

The "overheating" problem is not a problem if you USE IT AS DIRECTED in the manual, FFS. They do WARN YOU not to block the air vents, but they don't bludgeon you with a mallet.  :-//

And if you're going to SERVICE the thing and can't be arsed to acquire/read the SERVICE MANUAL which tells you in big red letters DON'T RUN THE DUCKING THING WITHOUT THE TRUCKING COVER ON IT!!! , you deserve what you plucking get. :palm:

mnem

Holy shit, I agree. One of us is de-volving....not sure which.  :P :P :P :-DD :-DD :-DD
An old gray beard with an attitude.

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, Specmaster

Online Wolfgang

• Super Contributor
  • Its great if it finally works !
    • Electronic Projects for Fun
« Reply #58568 on: May 15, 2020, 04:59:56 pm »

Set them up for a little photo session (just for you, of course) on my living room table:

Most of it is crap that that I already have in abundance, but who wouldn't need another 300 CA5010? :palm:

There's several broken and missing drawers, but I should be able to get more than enough for these 6 cabinets. There will be a helluva lot of sorting, cleaning and tag printing going in in the foreseeable future. :P

... thats nothing to be ashamed of:
- The amount of parts is only modest
- I also have some CA5010s in stock.
- Your supply implements the Edison Principle:
"To invent you need a good imagination and a pile of junk".

So - thumbs up.

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, Mortymore

Offline tggzzz

• Super Contributor
« Reply #58569 on: May 15, 2020, 05:12:11 pm »

Ex-MOD, and looks like Vishay own the brand now, can't imagine the specs being anything other than quite good.

His pricing though... I think I will throw a very]lowball offer.

Vishay own just about all brands now :( Makes saying Vishay==good less valid than it used to be. It also makes for great confusion between similar components from competing divisions.

I agree about your offer, and I'll stay out of your way!

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #58570 on: May 15, 2020, 05:17:25 pm »

You can't post that without showing also the fort you must have built with them. It's like a pillow fort, except TEA flavoured.

Offline psykok

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #58571 on: May 15, 2020, 05:40:13 pm »
Looks like the computer side of it is working as the controls are illuminated correctly. Probably power supply. Hopefully not one of the ASICs.

I've got a non-A 2445 here at the moment which has original parts in it :scared:

Agreed, looks like it booted with no errors and the issue is in the CRT circuits.

Quite possibly, but there can be subtle problems around the DAC.

Check the PSU voltages first, of course.

If you can get it working, don't forget to exorcise the RIFAs, lest they remind you of their (non)existence.

Getting the PSU out isn't too difficult, but it is a little fiddly. Take photos, keep sets of screws in separate plastic ziploc bags.

Personally I would sort out whether or not you can get the scope working, and only then worry about the RIFAs. There's no point replacing the RIFAs if other faults are too expensive to repair.

No progress, I just know that blowing fuse is on the -15 unreg
Now I have to study the documentation to understand for what is the -15unreg rail used for.

Online Wolfgang

• Super Contributor
  • Its great if it finally works !
    • Electronic Projects for Fun
« Reply #58572 on: May 15, 2020, 05:40:57 pm »

mnem

The 7 model I had was a 7104, a 1GHz real time monster. I loved it. Engineering was beautiful and straightforward, you could access everything you needed to, no cramped and stacked stuff like a labyrinth to unfold.
Drawback: Loud, heats your flat, not *really* portable. I would still prefer this to *any* 2XXX stuff.  :)
I dont like marginal designs, generally. Of course that warned not to block vents (who doesnt) but burnt out ICs are a common 2XXX problem. Ever heard of overtemp protection ? Well ...
« Last Edit: May 15, 2020, 05:56:20 pm by Wolfgang »

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #58573 on: May 15, 2020, 05:51:42 pm »

Have you considered buying a Raaco Drehturm?

Reichelt has them for example:

https://www.reichelt.de/empty-raaco-revolving-tower-for-12-drawer-cabinets-raaco-1200-p54482.html?&nbc=1
“Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought. It always defeats order, because it is better organized.”            - Terry Pratchett -

Offline Ice-Tea

• Super Contributor
    • Freelance Hardware Engineer
« Reply #58574 on: May 15, 2020, 05:57:32 pm »
That's evil. Showing something like that.

The following users thanked this post: edavid, mnementh

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf