Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 17438006 times)

quadtech and 29 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
  • Toys so very many Toys.
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #58475 on: May 15, 2020, 03:55:34 am »
This viscous Mouthful while attached via a harness and lead to my Mum tried assaulting two freedom seeking Bulldogs who escaped their owners house. Apart from a few scrapes and likely bruising of the Bulldogs jaws the relevant owners are now recovering due to being far more stressed than their dogs...... Mum is currently having a second Brandy and Dry sedative for her 76th Birthday dinner :scared:

Vet visit completed I am part way into a Quad Strength G&T and likely to have a second after having to calm aforementioned owners and deal with By Laws Officers along the way :palm:

LOL... typical male.  >:D

mnem
*agitating-ily*

Short and Furry managed a walk down the backyard (400' long block) and back with me in the Sun got 1/2 way through a roll of joy they decided it wasn't a great idea  :palm: She also managed to yell loudly at the returning By Laws Chick before rolling over for a belly rub.

The Boofhead pair had a night in jail one has been returned and the other will be too which will be best for all concerned and with Mum's and my positive thoughts. There is more to this as to why this should happen but lets get on with some TEA  ;D

Do I 'need it' Nope, Do 'I want it' Not Really, 'Will I'  :palm: eBay auction: #373049966093 Somebody else stop me  :-DD

Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline 0culus

• Super Contributor
  • Electronics, RF, and TEA Hobbyist
« Reply #58476 on: May 15, 2020, 04:18:37 am »
I have one, and so does Pat (Cubdriver). There's a couple of annoying things about it. First, it seems almost no one knows anything about it. There is now a scanned manual on BAMA, but it's still a bit of an enigma. Second (and worst) it is NOT serviceable at all. I believe that nearly complete disassembly is required to get at most of the boards.

Also, it requires batteries to function (according to the manual), confirmed by my battery-less example not doing much of anything other than lighting the neon lamp.

The following users thanked this post: bitseeker

Offline Cubdriver

• Supporter
  • Nixie addict
    • Photos of electronic gear
« Reply #58477 on: May 15, 2020, 04:19:54 am »
Damn straight you want it!  Join the club!  The manual is now posted on KO4BB, too.

(It's still in my repair queue, of course...)

-Pat
If it jams, force it.  If it breaks, you needed a new one anyway...

The following users thanked this post: edavid, bd139, Kosmic, 0culus

Offline Cubdriver

• Supporter
  • Nixie addict
« Reply #58478 on: May 15, 2020, 04:34:58 am »
<snort>  He comes here to be talked OUT of buying something.   :-DD :-DD :-DD :-DD :-DD :-DD

-Pat

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
« Reply #58479 on: May 15, 2020, 04:36:57 am »
I do have some concerns that people might call me an Audiophool, point and laugh at me for owning an 600 \$\Omega\$ Audio type device  :scared:
Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

Offline Cubdriver

• Supporter
  • Nixie addict
« Reply #58480 on: May 15, 2020, 04:50:08 am »
I do have some concerns that people might call me an Audiophool, point and laugh at me for owning an 600 \$\Omega\$ Audio type device  :scared:

The phone company started the 600 ohm thing, and they were hardly hifi.  Come on in - the water's fine!   >:D

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
« Reply #58481 on: May 15, 2020, 05:01:06 am »
Back in secondary school I helped maintain a Student Radio network running on 600 \$\Omega\$ with some long speaker runs, in this case we were using Bose Cubes among other reasonable speakers at the other end so psuedoaudiofoolery  ;) . Still not convinced as I have Laser Bits to buy with my pocket money 8)

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #58482 on: May 15, 2020, 05:08:35 am »

Short and Furry managed a walk down the backyard (400' long block) and back with me in the Sun got 1/2 way through a roll of joy they decided it wasn't a great idea  :palm: She also managed to yell loudly at the returning By Laws Chick before rolling over for a belly rub.

The Boofhead pair had a night in jail one has been returned and the other will be too which will be best for all concerned and with Mum's and my positive thoughts. There is more to this as to why this should happen but lets get on with some TEA  ;D

I would assume this "By Laws Chick" is responsible for more than just doggie matters such as other code enforcement? Over here we have the traditional "dog catcher" or more correctly the "Town Dog Warden". Now while they don't drive around in a truck with a cage and carry a large net they are responsible solely for leash law enforcement and dog licensing, etc. But things get ugly in the case of dog bites to people and that's considered criminal and the po-po get involved. 
An old gray beard with an attitude.

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #58483 on: May 15, 2020, 05:12:29 am »

As long as you don't rape Bugle Boys out of Tek gear and junk the rest you're good.  :-+ 

The following users thanked this post: Cubdriver

Offline Saskia

• Super Contributor
  • you unlock this door with the key of imagination
« Reply #58484 on: May 15, 2020, 05:15:24 am »
@bd139 my idea was to have something with some serious CUDA oomph that I can use for my tensorflow experiments. The cards with significant CUDA oomph do display graphics quite nicely.

Personally I would go for an RTX2060 or 2070 from Zotac, the mini is fine, it is not that overclocked and is more than sufficient for any application work you would normally do on a standard workstation. Or an EVGA 2060 KO which has a slightly stripped down GPU from the 2080 which incidentally is up to 40% faster in certain workloads than the standard 2060.

I will not buy a Quadro RTX8000.
No way Nvidia will be able to sucker that much money outta me.

@mnementh no, the Asus was a replacement for an Asus which blew after about 5 hours of use.
I do have a Zotac which has been running fine for several hundred hours at about 100 %CPU and 85% Memclk at 80% power level. I do have more than one of those cards ...

The following users thanked this post: bd139

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
« Reply #58485 on: May 15, 2020, 05:37:28 am »

I would assume this "By Laws Chick" is responsible for more than just doggie matters such as other code enforcement? Over here we have the traditional "dog catcher" or more correctly the "Town Dog Warden". Now while they don't drive around in a truck with a cage and carry a large net they are responsible solely for leash law enforcement and dog licensing, etc. But things get ugly in the case of dog bites to people and that's considered criminal and the po-po get involved.

Fairly much and local council laws enforcement responsibilities so Food/Health, Animals including Stock, Parking ..... We are doing well at present only one of the blokes is a Power Tripper who was to fat for the Police force. My last 'discussion' with him involved taking his head from between his own orifice for his Public lack of manners  >:D

Offline Cubdriver

• Supporter
  • Nixie addict
« Reply #58486 on: May 15, 2020, 05:58:57 am »

As long as you don't rape Bugle Boys dual triodes or any other tubes out of Tek gear and junk the rest you're good.  :-+

I set the bar lower than Med, apparently. 

-Pat

The following users thanked this post: med6753

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #58487 on: May 15, 2020, 06:48:46 am »

As long as you don't rape Bugle Boys dual triodes or any other tubes out of Tek gear and junk the rest you're good.  :-+

I set the bar lower than Med, apparently. 

-Pat

Even better.  :-+ ;D

Online Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #58488 on: May 15, 2020, 07:32:41 am »
Do I 'need it' Nope, Do 'I want it' Not Really, 'Will I'  :palm: eBay auction: #373049966093 Somebody else stop me  :-DD

Hmmmmm........
Do I 'need it' Sort of, Do 'I want it' Maybe, 'Will I' ....... Dunno - but I'm not going against Bean.

Shipping might be a question.

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
« Reply #58489 on: May 15, 2020, 07:50:13 am »

Hmmmmm........
Do I 'need it' Sort of, Do 'I want it' Maybe, 'Will I' ....... Dunno - but I'm not going against Bean.

Shipping might be a question.

All yours  :-DD I need little to zero excuse not to. Time to go buy some Laser Optical bits......

EDIT  ;)
« Last Edit: May 15, 2020, 09:22:27 am by beanflying »

Online BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #58490 on: May 15, 2020, 08:31:07 am »
If you haven't already seen it, here are some very cool pictures of a LTZ1000:

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/metrology/ultra-precision-reference-ltz1000/msg3068196/#msg3068196

And here you can find some other very nice pictures of the LTZ and many others:

https://www.richis-lab.de/REF03.htm

“Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought. It always defeats order, because it is better organized.”            - Terry Pratchett -

The following users thanked this post: edavid, Ice-Tea, bitseeker, bd139, Kosmic

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #58491 on: May 15, 2020, 09:14:46 am »
Crawl out of bed at 10am on my day off. See LTZ1000. Now looking at voltnuttery  :popcorn:  :-DD

The following users thanked this post: BU508A

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #58492 on: May 15, 2020, 09:20:13 am »
@bd139 my idea was to have something with some serious CUDA oomph that I can use for my tensorflow experiments. The cards with significant CUDA oomph do display graphics quite nicely.

Personally I would go for an RTX2060 or 2070 from Zotac, the mini is fine, it is not that overclocked and is more than sufficient for any application work you would normally do on a standard workstation. Or an EVGA 2060 KO which has a slightly stripped down GPU from the 2080 which incidentally is up to 40% faster in certain workloads than the standard 2060.

@mnementh no, the Asus was a replacement for an Asus which blew after about 5 hours of use.
I do have a Zotac which has been running fine for several hundred hours at about 100 %CPU and 85% Memclk at 80% power level. I do have more than one of those cards ...

Interesting. I’m probably going Radeon direction though here because I don’t need CUDA and my monitor supports FreeSync. 5600 XT is likely the destination at the moment.

I’m going to see how badly Metro sucks on my RX550 first.

If I want CUDA I’ll probably do it in Amazon and expense it  :-DD

Offline Saskia

• Super Contributor
« Reply #58493 on: May 15, 2020, 09:22:12 am »
Fixing  the fucking aftermath of a blown Cisco ACI switch and what it has done to my 3000 queues message queueing cluster that suffered split brain and the attached 600 Dockers. I hate my life.

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #58494 on: May 15, 2020, 09:25:00 am »
Ugh SDN. Puke 🤮

Offline Saskia

• Super Contributor
« Reply #58495 on: May 15, 2020, 09:46:15 am »

Interesting. I’m probably going Radeon direction though here because I don’t need CUDA and my monitor supports FreeSync. 5600 XT is likely the destination at the moment.

I’m going to see how badly Metro sucks on my RX550 first.

If I want CUDA I’ll probably do it in Amazon and expense it  :-DD

Care for an RX590 8GB ? I have one sitting here ...
I got the RTX 2060 for about 200 quid. For that, I'D take the RTX anytime.

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #58496 on: May 15, 2020, 09:53:13 am »
Yeah if there was one for that price I’d probably just buy it as well.

Will pass on the 590. Thanks for the offer though. I’m going to expense the card and a CPU at the same time to work as I’m using my kit to do their stuff. The other option is take a locked down noisy HP desktop or Hp laptop without the right keys. Grr. Thus they can shove that and pay up.

Edit: fucks sake. There goes my keyboard  :palm:

UPS have turned to utter boiled shit recently.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2020, 10:08:55 am by bd139 »

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #58497 on: May 15, 2020, 10:31:34 am »
Yeah if there was one for that price I’d probably just buy it as well.

Will pass on the 590. Thanks for the offer though. I’m going to expense the card and a CPU at the same time to work as I’m using my kit to do their stuff. The other option is take a locked down noisy HP desktop or Hp laptop without the right keys. Grr. Thus they can shove that and pay up.

Edit: fucks sake. There goes my keyboard  :palm:

UPS have turned to utter boiled shit recently.
Trust me they are not alone, even Amazon are doing it on things that are marked as in stock and on same day or next day Prime. They say that they are prioritising urgent essential deliveries.

Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline psykok

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #58498 on: May 15, 2020, 10:32:36 am »
Because one is never enough I bought an other faulty Tek scope
991772-0

The following users thanked this post: med6753, mnementh, Mortymore, bd139, Kosmic

Offline wolfy007

• Regular Contributor
  • Back into electronics again, as a hobby this time.
« Reply #58499 on: May 15, 2020, 10:36:00 am »
But its so cute...

This viscous Mouthful while attached via a harness and lead to my Mum tried assaulting two freedom seeking Bulldogs who escaped their owners house. Apart from a few scrapes and likely bruising of the Bulldogs jaws the relevant owners are now recovering due to being far more stressed than their dogs...... Mum is currently having a second Brandy and Dry sedative for her 76th Birthday dinner :scared:

Vet visit completed I am part way into a Quad Strength G&T and likely to have a second after having to calm aforementioned owners and deal with By Laws Officers along the way :palm:

LOL... typical male.  >:D

mnem
*agitating-ily*

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf