Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 16665318 times)

yuhar and 39 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #58425 on: May 14, 2020, 01:19:25 pm »
Have cancelled the keyboard order and will find another supplier. Annoyed  >:(. Have replaced all the fans in my case at lunch with Be quiet ones. At full whack running prime95 it's hitting 67oC now rather than the original 88 or so with the stock AMD cooler. And you can barely hear it!

On positive note have sold the DG822 now so looking at suitable Siglent shaped replacements  :-+

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #58426 on: May 14, 2020, 01:19:39 pm »
 @bd139  Quote "The issue is usually a complete inability to hit two rocks together. Which is rife in any IT automation. "

Why do I automatically think of this when you mention rocks  :-DD

Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

The following users thanked this post: bd139

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #58427 on: May 14, 2020, 01:54:58 pm »
Crap!
Followed the call and also ordered a Xtal tester from ebay. Ordered from the seller pretending to be shipping from the UK because of hopefully shorter shipping times.
Only some ours on the next day (today) I received message from the seller stating he would like to cancel my order because he has none left in stock. :wtf:
This is the ebay offer I bought from after he wrote me, today, 16:30 GMT, I didn't even order last one offered:

I'm pissed.   :rant:
OTH perhaps it's better this way, who knows?   :palm:
Yeah, thats the same seller who also cancelled mine. They sell them on BangGood for less money, but they are now I think, only available from their Canada warehouse now.

Ok, so, let's see who's got the crystal tester first.  :box:  ;D

(Attachment Link)

Good luck.  :-+

Mine arrived today.  :-+  8)

991188-0
“Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought. It always defeats order, because it is better organized.”            - Terry Pratchett -

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline psykok

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #58428 on: May 14, 2020, 01:59:16 pm »
Different topic.

I'm currently designing new extension boards 44 and 30 pins, they will be about 100mm long.
If someone  is interested for some PCB I should be able to add some extra to my order.

Extension board like that:

Alex

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #58429 on: May 14, 2020, 02:00:28 pm »
Have cancelled the keyboard order and will find another supplier. Annoyed  >:(. Have replaced all the fans in my case at lunch with Be quiet ones. At full whack running prime95 it's hitting 67oC now rather than the original 88 or so with the stock AMD cooler. And you can barely hear it!

On positive note have sold the DG822 now so looking at suitable Siglent shaped replacements  :-+
Why did you sell the DG822? At this rate the running gag isn't really a gag anymore.  :-DD

How much for the scope?

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #58430 on: May 14, 2020, 02:05:25 pm »
Crap!
Followed the call and also ordered a Xtal tester from ebay. Ordered from the seller pretending to be shipping from the UK because of hopefully shorter shipping times.
Only some ours on the next day (today) I received message from the seller stating he would like to cancel my order because he has none left in stock. :wtf:
This is the ebay offer I bought from after he wrote me, today, 16:30 GMT, I didn't even order last one offered:

I'm pissed.   :rant:
OTH perhaps it's better this way, who knows?   :palm:
Yeah, thats the same seller who also cancelled mine. They sell them on BangGood for less money, but they are now I think, only available from their Canada warehouse now.

Ok, so, let's see who's got the crystal tester first.  :box:  ;D

(Attachment Link)

Good luck.  :-+

Mine arrived today.  :-+  8)

(Attachment Link)
Good, let us all know how you get on with it and if you think its worthwhile having one in the lab? I had forgotten about mine, they told me on live chat last time that it would about 2 weeks before they could dispatch it, still no update, so just left a message for live chat to contact me  :palm:   
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #58431 on: May 14, 2020, 02:07:43 pm »
Have cancelled the keyboard order and will find another supplier. Annoyed  >:(

Cherry mx brown for £76inc https://cpc.farnell.com/cherry/g80-3816lxbgb-2/keyboard-mx-brown-1-0-backlight/dp/CS32344
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #58432 on: May 14, 2020, 02:12:45 pm »
Who let Murphy in?

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #58433 on: May 14, 2020, 02:18:35 pm »

Cherry mx brown for £76inc https://cpc.farnell.com/cherry/g80-3816lxbgb-2/keyboard-mx-brown-1-0-backlight/dp/CS32344

That's a good find actually. They sell one with MX reds and media keys as well: https://cpc.farnell.com/cherry/g80-3816lwbgb-2/keyboard-mx-red-1-0-backlight/dp/CS32343

Thanks  :-+

Edit: ordered the one above with MX reds. Thanks tggzzz. £80 inc delivery is a bit cheaper as well  :-+
« Last Edit: May 14, 2020, 02:36:02 pm by bd139 »

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #58434 on: May 14, 2020, 02:39:49 pm »
:P

Well, at least you didn't get the Microsoft version:
Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, Specmaster

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #58435 on: May 14, 2020, 02:42:15 pm »
This is the Microsoft version. Including sticky tape

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #58436 on: May 14, 2020, 03:03:53 pm »

That's a good find actually. They sell one with MX reds and media keys as well: https://cpc.farnell.com/cherry/g80-3816lwbgb-2/keyboard-mx-red-1-0-backlight/dp/CS32343

Thanks  :-+

Edit: ordered the one above with MX reds. Thanks tggzzz. £80 inc delivery is a bit cheaper as well  :-+
BUT, what about the macros that you wanted as well  :-//
Who let Murphy in?

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #58437 on: May 14, 2020, 03:05:56 pm »
Well one of the reasons I wanted the macro keys is so I could rebind FN+Fx to some media keys to control VLC but it already has that. The rest, https://www.autohotkey.com/ which is what I'm using now anyway.

Edit: when I see this I have to go hmmmmmmmmm

The lack of pictures of the plug which will probably conveniently not arrive makes me think it got the original chopped off, a 240V plug on it and then something went bang  :-DD
« Last Edit: May 14, 2020, 03:23:43 pm by bd139 »

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #58438 on: May 14, 2020, 03:25:15 pm »
Oh, I see, but the basic functions you mention for VLC, media player, short cuts to things like calculator etc are built into almost every modern keyboard these days, even my cheap keyboard (with the flashy LED lighting which can be disabled) has those.
Who let Murphy in?

Offline GreyWoolfe

• Supporter
  • NW0LF
« Reply #58439 on: May 14, 2020, 04:03:02 pm »
Actually just looked up boofhead. Need to use that here. Much politer than our versions of it  :-DD

So over the pond, there is boofhead and pillock.  Here we have twatwaffle, twatapotamus and douche canoe/nozzle.  We really are unrefined, aren't we. |O
"Heaven has been described as the place that once you get there all the dogs you ever loved run up to greet you."

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #58440 on: May 14, 2020, 04:05:54 pm »
Well one of the reasons I wanted the macro keys is so I could rebind FN+Fx to some media keys to control VLC but it already has that. The rest, https://www.autohotkey.com/ which is what I'm using now anyway.

Edit: when I see this I have to go hmmmmmmmmm

The lack of pictures of the plug which will probably conveniently not arrive makes me think it got the original chopped off, a 240V plug on it and then something went bang  :-DD

Most later Heath stuff is dual primary. Can be wired for either 120V or 240V. Not sure if GR-64 was but I'd lay odds it was.
An old gray beard with an attitude.

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #58441 on: May 14, 2020, 04:07:51 pm »
Actually just looked up boofhead. Need to use that here. Much politer than our versions of it  :-DD

So over the pond, there is boofhead and pillock.  Here we have twatwaffle, twatapotamus and douche canoe/nozzle.  We really are unrefined, aren't we. |O

That's why "asshole" covers all the bases.  :P >:D ;D
An old gray beard with an attitude.

The following users thanked this post: Cubdriver, mnementh, Specmaster

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #58442 on: May 14, 2020, 04:09:01 pm »
Oh, I see, but the basic functions you mention for VLC, media player, short cuts to things like calculator etc are built into almost every modern keyboard these days, even my cheap keyboard (with the flashy LED lighting which can be disabled) has those.

Indeed. The difficulty is finding one that has those features and uniform keys and layout as well as non horrible key switches. If I pick the first 10 on amazon:

1. Logitech K120 - no media keys
2. pictek ultra slim - key caps too high, unknown keybed
3. Kensington valuKeyboard - tiny F keys
4. RK100 - key caps too high, unknown keybed
5. Logitech G213 - horrible to typo on (tried one)
6. Q Connect - weird ass edit keys layout
7. Microsoft wired keyboard 600 - pissy little F keys
8. VicTsing ultra slim - fucked up keyboard layout
9. Havit Gaming Keyboard - IE button. Seriously? On a fucking gaming keyboard. Are you having a laugh?
10. Dell KB216 - Fucked up overlaid break /print screen keys. Chiclets. Tiny F keys. Kill me with a spoon.

>:(

What the hell happened to people not selling a pile of wank for lack of a better phrase.

If someone produced a keyboard that had a proper layout, half decent (not even 100% decent) switches, media keys that weren't a ball ache, no wanky LED lighting, with windows key and menu key for around £40 I reckon they would KILL everything on the market instantly.

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #58443 on: May 14, 2020, 04:16:27 pm »

No more unrefined than us :( But you do seem to concentrate on a different, um, area.
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

Offline bitseekerTopic starter

• Super Contributor
  • Lots of engineer-tweakable parts inside!
« Reply #58444 on: May 14, 2020, 04:58:41 pm »
Wow, beautiful new scopes, but quite a lot of buckazoids and the seller's rating is atrocious.
98% doesn't seem exceptionally bad.

eBay rating percentages are interpreted with extremely high skew, especially on the US site for US sellers. A rating below 99.5-99.7% is generally not good. Of course, there are exceptions, in particular when a seller is low-volume where a single negative review has significant impact.

Sellers from non-English-speaking countries who sell into the US tend to have lower ratings, often due to the language barrier or cultural clashes resulting in misunderstandings or otherwise negative outcomes. Ratings in those cases tend to still be OK when they're at least above 90-95%.
TEA is the way. | TEA Time channel

• Super Contributor
« Reply #58445 on: May 14, 2020, 05:02:30 pm »

+1 for normally shaped TE. ;D

Did you come out ahead on the sale? That always makes for a good day. (Free TE rental!)

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #58446 on: May 14, 2020, 05:06:00 pm »

Did you come out ahead on the sale? That always makes for a good day. (Free TE rental!)

Nope. 30% loss. Couple of curries worth here so not the end of the world plus with the attention to general fitness at the moment it's probably a good thing  :-DD

Edit: correct horrible use of English caused by lack of caffeine today.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2020, 05:09:45 pm by bd139 »

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #58447 on: May 14, 2020, 05:07:33 pm »
Most later Heath stuff is dual primary. Can be wired for either 120V or 240V. Not sure if GR-64 was but I'd lay odds it was.

It probably was. I'm never sure the dude selling it is actually capable of determining that however. Especially after seeing some buggers plainly speaking shit at hamfests over the last couple of years.

Edit: meant to post this earlier. Very cool article: http://www.righto.com/2020/05/tiny-transformer-inside-decapping.html
« Last Edit: May 14, 2020, 05:09:20 pm by bd139 »

The following users thanked this post: BravoV, mansaxel

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #58448 on: May 14, 2020, 05:15:10 pm »
This viscous Mouthful while attached via a harness and lead to my Mum tried assaulting two freedom seeking Bulldogs who escaped their owners house. Apart from a few scrapes and likely bruising of the Bulldogs jaws the relevant owners are now recovering due to being far more stressed than their dogs...... Mum is currently having a second Brandy and Dry sedative for her 76th Birthday dinner :scared:

Vet visit completed I am part way into a Quad Strength G&T and likely to have a second after having to calm aforementioned owners and deal with By Laws Officers along the way :palm:

LOL... typical male.  >:D

mnem
*agitating-ily*
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

• Super Contributor
« Reply #58449 on: May 14, 2020, 05:18:27 pm »

Nope. 30% loss. Couple of curries worth here so not the end of the world plus with the attention to general fitness at the moment it's probably a good thing  :-DD

Edit: correct horrible use of English caused by lack of caffeine today.

Mmm! Curry...

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf