Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 17453279 times)

Offline Saskia

• Super Contributor
  • you unlock this door with the key of imagination
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #58200 on: May 11, 2020, 08:07:06 pm »
oops, typo. file a claim with Hermes for breaking that stuff during shipment, not with ebay ...

Offline Cubdriver

• Supporter
  • Nixie addict
    • Photos of electronic gear
« Reply #58201 on: May 11, 2020, 08:12:30 pm »
oops, typo. file a claim with Hermes for breaking that stuff during shipment, not with ebay ...

Doesn't the SHIPPER usually have to instigate a claim with the carrier?  Seems to me that's what I've always heard.

-Pat

<edit - typo>
If it jams, force it.  If it breaks, you needed a new one anyway...

Offline Saskia

• Super Contributor
« Reply #58202 on: May 11, 2020, 08:16:13 pm »
usually yes because he is the contractual partner of the shipper.

Offline Cubdriver

• Supporter
  • Nixie addict
« Reply #58203 on: May 11, 2020, 08:31:48 pm »
usually yes because he is the contractual partner of the shipper.

Sounds like HE should be doing it, then.  He'll get laughed at by them, of course, but some folks just can't listen to reason.

-Pat

Offline Saskia

• Super Contributor
« Reply #58204 on: May 11, 2020, 08:38:38 pm »
well, the window to file a claim is over so this is no longer an option, and yes, they would have laughed at him.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2020, 09:12:48 pm by Saskia »

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #58205 on: May 11, 2020, 08:41:17 pm »
So, did it work after you upped the current limit???
Oh, yeah they were bang on. The point was more the unexpected technical comprehension from a seller of Sexy Santa outfits, teddy bears, 16-bit DAC evaluation boards and butt plugs.

LOL... I've been dealing with this phenomenon for over a decade; in the early days, pretty much ALL the electronics we bought for our quadcopters came from places like dealextreme and goodluckbuy, and a few other similar sites I can't recall the names of now. This was before bang-em-good and TMart became "legitimate" vendors of consumer electronics; back then they also sold all kinds of sex toys, lingerie and cheap batteries by the kilo. We builders of whirry little flying things pretty much single-handedly opened their eyes to the huge western market for cheap dev boards and similar small electronic bits & bobs.

mnem
Oh look; BananaHobby is still afloat... and now has orifices in Cali-fone-ya!!!
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline Saskia

• Super Contributor
« Reply #58206 on: May 11, 2020, 08:46:38 pm »
as is hobby-kaching ...

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #58207 on: May 11, 2020, 08:55:11 pm »
Update from the power supply front: Seller wants to have the defective PS back and refund my money, stating that I should have filed a claim with ebay and that his packaging was sufficient and that it was cheap in the first place.

What would you do ? keep that thing (grudgingly) or send it back in his shoddy packaging ?

First, review his feedback and see if there is a demonstrable pattern of shite packing on seller's part.

Next, open a dispute with fleaBay and claim the item WAS NOT AS ADVERTISED (make sure you select THIS, not shipping damage) due to his poor packing; include pictures of the item in the box, the inadequate packaging, and the damage to the unit. Explain that the seller has been unreasonable in his declaration that packing was adequate, and that you refuse to pay for his inadequate care.

Explain that if he is willing to open the shipping damage claim, as he is required to do by law, you will gladly surrender the package to the carrier.

In short; be a pain in his arse. Drag his arse back and forth over eBay support until either he or they refund just to make you go away.

Or, if you feel it is better to do so, eat it and post negative feedback about his crappy packing (but keep the feedback polite and factual; as much as you may want to vent at him, you'll wind up getting it deleted and then he can respond with un-countered response saying you were unreasonable). This may be more palatable if you can provide more nails in his coffin re: negative feedback over poor packing.
:-//

mnem
 :box:
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #58208 on: May 11, 2020, 08:56:10 pm »
Update from the power supply front: Seller wants to have the defective PS back and refund my money, stating that I should have filed a claim with ebay and that his packaging was sufficient and that it was cheap in the first place.

What would you do ? keep that thing (grudgingly) or send it back in his shoddy packaging ?

Right this is not a straight forward case now. Lets establish a few points first, do you really want it now? Did the seller mark the package all over with the words "FRAGILE" or in your case "zerbrechlich" if not then I doubt that a claim can be raised with Hermes, which in any case, the seller has to do that. Did you take any photos of the packaging condition during the unpacking process?.

Personally, I'd have opened up a dispute with eBay directly, giving them all the details as to why you want to return / get a refund, give them some photos of the damage and then they will contact the seller on your behalf and give the seller your comments and photographic evidence and ask the seller to sort it out with you directly but all messages have to done via the eBay dispute chat channel. Chances are that once the seller sees the damage to the item and the state of their packing it is normally enough for them to settle quickly. This is normally done either by way of offering you a partial refund or a full refund and often they do not want the item returned once the see the extent of damage done. You then have a choice of either accepting their offer or going back to eBay and ask them for a ruling. Normally they will side with you and arrange a full refund and you keep the item.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2020, 09:01:13 pm by Specmaster »
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

The following users thanked this post: duckduck

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #58209 on: May 11, 2020, 09:04:26 pm »
well, the window to file a claim is over so this is no longer an option, and yes, they would have loved at him.

Are you SURE?

Quote from: eBay

The Money Back Guarantee policy says that buyers have 30 days from the actual or latest estimated delivery date to open a case. If you shipped with tracking that shows delivery, the buyer's deadline is 30 days from the actual delivery date. For PayPal cases, the deadline is 45 days from the payment date.

If you open a dispute through PayPal, you can considerably extend that... as in like 6 months. If the order took unreasonably long to arrive, that may be a more suitable course.

mnem
 :popcorn:
« Last Edit: May 11, 2020, 09:06:56 pm by mnementh »

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster

Offline Saskia

• Super Contributor
« Reply #58210 on: May 11, 2020, 09:14:29 pm »
sorry, file a claim with the shipper. That time window is gone. I can easily file with ebay and will do so probably tomorrow.
Since all communication has been done via ebay their support can easily have a look at the photos and step in.

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #58211 on: May 11, 2020, 10:00:23 pm »
Worth it or not:

HP/Agilent 54622D 100MHz, 100MS/S 4MPTs MSO (Probably bare scope, no leads) from reputable vendor with warranty for US$225 delivered?

I just watched Dave gush about one in a video from 2014... sounds still pretty capable even today, especially compared against the cheap schizz from China.

mnem
moo?
« Last Edit: May 11, 2020, 10:03:00 pm by mnementh »

Offline duckduck

• Frequent Contributor
  • 20Hz < fun < 20kHz, and RF is Really Fun
« Reply #58212 on: May 11, 2020, 10:51:11 pm »

If you think that you're really going to get your money back, send it back.

If you keep it, you're sending him the message "it's OK to post TE with inadequate padding". Help out the next guy that might order from this seller.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2020, 11:04:47 pm by duckduck »

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #58213 on: May 11, 2020, 10:57:09 pm »
The 54622 is a nice scope to use, almost feels like an analogue scope. The potential drawback is the real-time sample rate, although a 100 MHz scope it has a best sample rate of 200Ms/s (single channel) which equates to an effective real-time bandwidth of 40MHz (20MHz if using both channels). You only get to use the full bandwidth in equivalent time mode. That's the only drawback and the only reason that I've passed on a couple recently.
Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

Offline Cubdriver

• Supporter
  • Nixie addict
« Reply #58214 on: May 11, 2020, 11:20:42 pm »
For two-and-a-quarter delivered I'd lean towards going for it.  There's a guy on the bay selling the logic section lead with an adapter for $50 ( steep, but if it lets you use the feature..)

-Pat

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #58215 on: May 11, 2020, 11:27:10 pm »
The 54622 is a nice scope to use, almost feels like an analogue scope. The potential drawback is the real-time sample rate, although a 100 MHz scope it has a best sample rate of 200Ms/s (single channel) which equates to an effective real-time bandwidth of 40MHz (20MHz if using both channels). You only get to use the full bandwidth in equivalent time mode. That's the only drawback and the only reason that I've passed on a couple recently.

Indeed. I do buy them when they are cheap though as you can kick them over the fence for no effort and get 100 quid in pocket. This kind of arbitrage is better than other investments unless you have megabucks of capital.

Really a siglent and a shit logic analyser is a better investment if you need something to hammer a nail in with. But that’s not what we’re about here is it?  :-DD

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #58216 on: May 12, 2020, 12:11:29 am »
Really a siglent and a shit logic analyser is a better investment if you need something to hammer a nail in with. But that’s not what we’re about here is it?  :-DD
Not unless your fence needs a few more nails in it  :-DD
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

The following users thanked this post: bd139

Offline xrunner

• Super Contributor
  • hp>Agilent>Keysight>???
« Reply #58217 on: May 12, 2020, 12:23:14 am »
Worth it or not:

Sure -I got one and I love it. It's great for a little retro scope action plus you can capture some nice B&W screen shots on the floppy!  :clap:

I told my friends I could teach them to be funny, but they all just laughed at me.

Offline Kosmic

• Super Contributor
« Reply #58218 on: May 12, 2020, 12:30:26 am »
Worth it or not:

HP/Agilent 54622D 100MHz, 100MS/S 4MPTs MSO (Probably bare scope, no leads) from reputable vendor with warranty for US$225 delivered?

I just watched Dave gush about one in a video from 2014... sounds still pretty capable even today, especially compared against the cheap schizz from China.

mnem
moo?

Had one and sold it. Screen was too small for me and FFT was not really useful. Megazoom was nice though.

Also didn't like how the screen was divided. Everything shows up in the same section. There is no visual separation between chan 1, 2 and math function. You can easily end up with traces overlaying each other.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2020, 01:01:01 am by Kosmic »

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #58219 on: May 12, 2020, 01:08:07 am »
Had one and sold it. Screen is too small and FFT suck. Megazoom is nice though.

If Sir wishes to look into the frequency domain, then Sir should really look at a Spectrum Analyser. We have them in all types: 20kg, 30kg, and so on, but my personal favourite is the Alabama 'StaysFast' at 110 lb - American of course, but still a very substantial instrument.

If Sir finds the screens too small might I suggest that Sir visits my cousin at his optometry practice, where Sir will also find some nice heavy vintage tortoiseshell celluloid frames - my cousin can even match the year of manufacture to Sir's favourite 31/2 digit bench DVM or AvoMeter.  If Sir is into Americana, I believe that he currently has some rather fine original 1960s RayBan spectacle frames in stock, as well as the ever popular sunglasses of the same brand for when Sir needs to preserve his sight's dark adaption for viewing particularly fast and dim CRT traces.

:)
Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster, bd139

Offline Kosmic

• Super Contributor
« Reply #58220 on: May 12, 2020, 01:15:25 am »
Had one and sold it. Screen is too small and FFT suck. Megazoom is nice though.

If Sir wishes to look into the frequency domain, then Sir should really look at a Spectrum Analyser. We have them in all types: 20kg, 30kg, and so on, but my personal favourite is the Alabama 'StaysFast' at 110 lb - American of course, but still a very substantial instrument.

If Sir finds the screens too small might I suggest that Sir visits my cousin at his optometry practice, where Sir will also find some nice heavy vintage tortoiseshell celluloid frames - my cousin can even match the year of manufacture to Sir's favourite 31/2 digit bench DVM or AvoMeter.  If Sir is into Americana, I believe that he currently has some rather fine original 1960s RayBan spectacle frames in stock, as well as the ever popular sunglasses of the same brand for when Sir needs to preserve his sight's dark adaption for viewing particularly fast and dim CRT traces.

:)

Well FFT on a scopes is useful for low frequency. A lot of spectrum analyzer start at 5Khz.

For the screen I'm telling you it's really small. I have no problem with my eyes and I was struggling.

Anyway, I was really glad once I got rid of it.

Offline jjoonathan

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #58221 on: May 12, 2020, 01:27:30 am »
If Sir wishes to look into the frequency domain, then Sir should really look at a Spectrum Analyser.

Yee-haw!

Vrooooom!

The following users thanked this post: Neomys Sapiens

Offline Kosmic

• Super Contributor
« Reply #58222 on: May 12, 2020, 01:29:00 am »
https://youtu.be/vZb8H6YYCJc?t=570

"Corona discharge from 5G cause the corona virus"  :-DD

Hmm just realised the video was pulled down from youtube! It's working they are doing something :)

Now we need to report the other 200 videos  :phew:

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #58223 on: May 12, 2020, 01:44:58 am »

Indeed. I do buy them when they are cheap though as you can kick them over the fence for no effort and get 100 quid in pocket. This kind of arbitrage is better than other investments unless you have megabucks of capital. Really a Siglent and a shit logic analyser is a better investment if you need something to hammer a nail in with. But that’s not what we’re about here is it? :-DD

Thanks C... that kind of insight is what I was looking for; though I think in comparison to my daily driver 1054Zed it's still a step up PLUS MSO if I can be arsed, right?

@bd - What's your idea of "cheap enough?" What I'm seeing on fleaBay right now this scope in any kind of usable condition is at least $350 to get it to me. :scared: (remember, Canada  |O)   I'm thinking to use this until I get my bench back; maybe even kick the 1054Zed down the road if I like it as much as Dave did in that vid. I've gotta admit; the UI response I saw there did make me more than a little jelly after using that Rigol doorstop for a daily driver. :palm:

I've got the "shit logic analyzer" in my Hantek 6022BE... and any Siglent in this price range is not much better than the Hantek either. Anything I've seen new that was appreciably better and had adequate memory depth for its sampling rate is ~$400 or more; plus no MSO functionality. Even a Siglent DS1052/1102 is ~US$340 to get it to me; and then I MAY have to pay undisclosed import fees. 
:o

@Kosmic - you know this market a lot better than me. Do you have a line on anything better in this price range? Up to $250 for this level of quality I think I can justify... any more than that and it REALLY needs to be an effing amazing deal.

mnem
*got the feelin' kinda hollow, empty spot on my bench, no 'scope to fiddle with blues*
« Last Edit: May 12, 2020, 01:49:37 am by mnementh »

Offline Kosmic

• Super Contributor
« Reply #58224 on: May 12, 2020, 01:51:10 am »
@Kosmic - you know this market a lot better than me. Do you have a line on anything better in this price range? Up to $250 for this level of quality I think I can justify... any more than that and it REALLY needs to be an effing amazing deal.[/i][/b]

Personally, I would keep my money and wait.

Remember it's rated at 50Mhz Single Shot Bandwidth  ???
« Last Edit: May 12, 2020, 01:57:06 am by Kosmic »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf