Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 18026435 times)

dustooff, Vince and 57 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #58100 on: May 10, 2020, 07:19:09 am »
It's mid-May. The birds are singing, the grass has been mowed twice already, the trees are in full bud/bloom.

And then this happens. Yep, that's snow.  ::) :scared: :scared: It's only the second time that I ever recall seeing any snow in May. And the weather service backed me up. The last time this happen was 1977.

Global warming??  :o

Luckily today the temperatures are supposed to raise to near normal.
An old gray beard with an attitude.

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, Specmaster

Offline mansaxel

• Super Contributor
  • SA0XLR
    • My very static home page
« Reply #58101 on: May 10, 2020, 08:08:33 am »

One of the effects predicted from man-made influence on the weather systems is less predictability and wilder swings between extremes. As such, the term "global warming", while correct on a entire-planet scale, might not well align with the anecdotal experience dominant in most of us, as we're lacking the aggregate data set leading to the well established consensus, among all experts not associated with short-term profits from status quo, that this is a shitshow we made and need to start undoing like 20 years ago.

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #58102 on: May 10, 2020, 08:29:03 am »

Well certainly not today for you at least. I expect that the world is almost totally in lockdown that there is also potentially less green houses gases being pumped into the atmosphere so that may have had a small hand in the weather?
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #58103 on: May 10, 2020, 08:46:51 am »
4503 update, seller has offered to replace it if I return the old one or a refund. I chose refund and questioned if he really wants the old one back, it will quite likely cost more than I paid to return to China plus the customs' declaration??

One ordered from a German supplier on eBay which is, so they say new. Should here in a few days time, and then I'm again tinkering on the edge of that rabbit hole  :scared:
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #58104 on: May 10, 2020, 08:50:31 am »

One of the effects predicted from man-made influence on the weather systems is less predictability and wilder swings between extremes. As such, the term "global warming", while correct on a entire-planet scale, might not well align with the anecdotal experience dominant in most of us, as we're lacking the aggregate data set leading to the well established consensus, among all experts not associated with short-term profits from status quo, that this is a shitshow we made and need to start undoing like 20 years ago.

I am well aware of the supposed mechanics of the theory of global warming which states that certain areas could see a drastic change in climate including cooling.

My comment of "global warming" was just a flippant reaction to what I saw.  :-//

Besides, global warming and it's theory doesn't explain the snow incident in 1977. 
An old gray beard with an attitude.

Online AVGresponding

• Super Contributor
  • Exploring Rabbit Holes Since The 1970s
« Reply #58105 on: May 10, 2020, 09:01:02 am »
4503 update, seller has offered to replace it if I return the old one or a refund. I chose refund and questioned if he really wants the old one back, it will quite likely cost more than I paid to return to China plus the customs' declaration??

One ordered from a German supplier on eBay which is, so they say new. Should here in a few days time, and then I'm again tinkering on the edge of that rabbit hole  :scared:

:palm:

How much for the new one from Deutschland? The ones I looked at were all around £20 or so,, but I only looked at the likes of Mouser etc. and didn't try fleabay.

EDIT: Had a quick peek, and the top listing is from "chenhao20171010" and lists the chips as new, but the pics are all with mid 1990s date codes, and just plonked on a what seems to be wooden desk.
 :-//
« Last Edit: May 10, 2020, 09:07:36 am by AVGresponding »
nuqDaq yuch Dapol?
Addiction count: Agilent-AVO-BlackStar-Brymen-Chauvin Arnoux-Fluke-GenRad-Hameg-HP-Keithley-IsoTech-Mastech-Megger-Metrix-Micronta-Racal-RFL-Siglent-Solartron-Tektronix-Thurlby-Time Electronics-TTi-UniT

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
  • Toys so very many Toys.
« Reply #58106 on: May 10, 2020, 09:06:30 am »

I am well aware of the supposed mechanics of the theory of global warming which states that certain areas could see a drastic change in climate including cooling.

My comment of "global warming" was just a flippant reaction to what I saw.  :-//

Besides, global warming and it's theory doesn't explain the snow incident in 1977.

Using a point event(S) against long term Worldwide data IS interesting at best but Scientifically insignificant. I get it was just a passing  :wtf: reference too.
Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #58107 on: May 10, 2020, 09:13:29 am »

Having watched Gary Oldman do a sterling job on the TV last night, portraying the grumpy old man's grumpy old man in "Darkest Hour" I'm minded to pull up a Churchill quote and maul it.

"Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. Three times is anthropogenic climate change."

Weather is complex enough to be apparently random. Snow in May in New York in 1977 is happenstance. Snow at Easter here in the UK the same year is coincidence (There was, I was out on a walk on the Sussex Downs when it unexpectedly hit). Widespread contemporary reports of unusual and atypical weather patterns from all over the world is pretty clear evidence of "enemy action".
Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #58108 on: May 10, 2020, 09:15:40 am »

:palm:

How much for the new one from Deutschland? The ones I looked at were all around £20 or so,, but I only looked at the likes of Mouser etc. and didn't try fleabay.

EDIT: Had a quick peek, and the top listing is from "chenhao20171010" and lists the chips as new, but the pics are all with mid 1990s date codes, and just plonked on a what seems to be wooden desk.
 :-//

No thats the wrong seller, here is the one that I brought, he has a proper shop full of electronics parts. The date code is 1995 but thats OK because I think it is now obsolete so maybe even the mouser ones are also going to NOS?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/310234389183
Who let Murphy in?

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #58109 on: May 10, 2020, 09:20:20 am »

Having watched Gary Oldman do a sterling job on the TV last night, portraying the grumpy old man's grumpy old man in "Darkest Hour" I'm minded to pull up a Churchill quote and maul it.

"Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. Three times is anthropogenic climate change."

Weather is complex enough to be apparently random. Snow in May in New York in 1977 is happenstance. Snow at Easter here in the UK the same year is coincidence (There was, I was out on a walk on the Sussex Downs when it unexpectedly hit). Widespread contemporary reports of unusual and atypical weather patterns from all over the world is pretty clear evidence of "enemy action".
Yes, I watched that as well, thought it was a good role and well played. SWMBO moaned and groaned, she hates anything war related with all the fighting but there was very little of that inevidence.
Who let Murphy in?

Online AVGresponding

• Super Contributor
  • Exploring Rabbit Holes Since The 1970s
« Reply #58110 on: May 10, 2020, 09:27:46 am »
Latest hijacked ebay account "selling" 2GHz scopes and Patek Philipe watches: 5gunnel

Yeah, I wasn't suggesting it was the same seller, and I expect you're right about the NOS, but when the pic shows the chips just sat naked on a wooden desk with no static protection in sight, it doesn't inspire confidence...
nuqDaq yuch Dapol?
Addiction count: Agilent-AVO-BlackStar-Brymen-Chauvin Arnoux-Fluke-GenRad-Hameg-HP-Keithley-IsoTech-Mastech-Megger-Metrix-Micronta-Racal-RFL-Siglent-Solartron-Tektronix-Thurlby-Time Electronics-TTi-UniT

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #58111 on: May 10, 2020, 09:45:06 am »
Latest hijacked ebay account "selling" 2GHz scopes and Patek Philipe watches: 5gunnel

Yeah, I wasn't suggesting it was the same seller, and I expect you're right about the NOS, but when the pic shows the chips just sat naked on a wooden desk with no static protection in sight, it doesn't inspire confidence...

True, thats why I went this seller, he has a proper shop and that inspires great confidence in me. It was a little  more than I would have liked, there are a few more in China, including some so-called equivalents and they were only around the £5 mark but it's all that bloody waiting to know if that's the cure or not, drives me up the bloody wall.  :-DD
Who let Murphy in?

Offline Saskia

• Super Contributor
  • you unlock this door with the key of imagination
« Reply #58112 on: May 10, 2020, 10:32:12 am »
Update regarding that PS damaged in shipment: I was able to remove the sheared off thingies without too much hassle.
Most of the damage (excluding the bezel for that Amperemeter) seems to be limited to a couple of standoffs, screws and the protective cover.
This in fact should be replaceable for a few euros.

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster, Neomys Sapiens

Offline Saskia

• Super Contributor
« Reply #58113 on: May 10, 2020, 11:52:54 am »
Update:
Carefully plugging it in and firing it up:
Casing appears to be not on 230V which is good

Voltage display is a bit off (about 2V) when measured against a Fluke 179
Acoustic noise (almost like sparking) audible when unit is cranked up to 58VDC (which is about the maximum)

Smell (burning grime and gunk).

I can fix the stuff with the stand offs, I have not yet identified the part which is producing that smell.
I have not yet determined where that noise is coming from.

It seems that this unit can be salvaged, however the broken bezel is a major pain.

Standoffs are available for about 5 quid.

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #58114 on: May 10, 2020, 12:25:47 pm »
I can fix the stuff with the stand offs, I have not yet identified the part which is producing that smell.
I have not yet determined where that noise is coming from.

Crackling noise, vile smell - I suspect RIFA madness.

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, Specmaster

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #58115 on: May 10, 2020, 01:05:01 pm »
Evict the bugger quickly!

Just spent two hours hacking down the weeds in the garden. Ugh. Kill me. Next time I get industrial roundup bottle and just murder the whole thing and start again from the toxic wasteland.

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #58116 on: May 10, 2020, 01:15:03 pm »
Next time I get industrial roundup bottle and just murder the whole thing and start again from the toxic wasteland.

I hear you.

The following users thanked this post: bd139

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #58117 on: May 10, 2020, 01:36:02 pm »

Just spent two hours hacking down the weeds in the garden. Ugh. Kill me. Next time I get industrial roundup bottle and just murder the whole thing and start again from the toxic wasteland.
That's what you get for leaving it too long. :P I thought that's what you have children for though.

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #58118 on: May 10, 2020, 01:38:20 pm »

You're going to start your garden again from Staines? Isn't that a bit far away from Isleworth for the bottom of your garden?  ;)

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #58119 on: May 10, 2020, 01:40:06 pm »
Hahaha. It's Staines-upon-Thames these days  :-DD. Actually I need to go to Staines as it's got the nearest Decathlon to me  >:(

Offline Saskia

• Super Contributor
« Reply #58120 on: May 10, 2020, 02:42:40 pm »
actually jet A1 and some thickener makes a wonderful weed killer.

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #58121 on: May 10, 2020, 02:48:37 pm »
actually jet A1 and some thickener makes a wonderful weed killer.

Then all you need is a match, poof job done  :-DD
Who let Murphy in?

Offline Saskia

• Super Contributor
« Reply #58122 on: May 10, 2020, 03:01:58 pm »
I love the smell of ...

Anyway.
Just unpacked the 6236B power supply from ebay seller zhoefler out of Biberach (how well I know that towne, it's the site of one of Europe's largest biogenetic manufacturing plants ...)
a) it came with an invoice
b) even though the outer shipping box was torn (these things can happen) the inner packacking was intact
c) the inner packaging consisted of foam and a LOT of bubblewrap.
d) the unit had a sticker attached which outlined the shortcomings
e) it worked, no rattling inside, no power supply hum
f) switches etc were right no, no scratching, no strange behavior
=> I would buy from this seller again.

The following users thanked this post: Brumby, mnementh, Specmaster, alm, Neomys Sapiens, mansaxel, Kosmic

Offline mansaxel

• Super Contributor
  • SA0XLR
    • My very static home page
« Reply #58123 on: May 10, 2020, 03:18:12 pm »

We've had mad weather day here, flipping between really nice sunny afternoon and torrential rain twich or thrice now. No way I'd spend time in the garden then. (I don't otherwise either, except for fitting antennas etc. ) New (used, offered for free on local buy/sell FB) work bench in the metal/wood workshop is installed, vise and small press bolted to it, outlet strip fitted. For once I left the metal/wood shop in better condition than when I started. Now dinner needs making. 

TEA: I've been meaning to post pictures of the TTi counter, which works and displays reasonably right figures. If I manage after dinner, I'll have a session in the electronics workshop as well, and then there's going to be pics.

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #58124 on: May 10, 2020, 03:23:26 pm »
I love the smell of ...

Anyway.
Just unpacked the 6236B power supply from ebay seller zhoefler out of Biberach (how well I know that towne, it's the site of one of Europe's largest biogenetic manufacturing plants ...)
a) it came with an invoice
b) even though the outer shipping box was torn (these things can happen) the inner packacking was intact
c) the inner packaging consisted of foam and a LOT of bubblewrap.
d) the unit had a sticker attached which outlined the shortcomings
e) it worked, no rattling inside, no power supply hum
f) switches etc were right no, no scratching, no strange behavior
=> I would buy from this seller again.

Excellent news  :-+. Enjoy. Still my favourite power supplies those.

Only thing that ever seems to go wrong is the reference diode shorting and the power switch giving up.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf