Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 18028915 times)

TSCOLAN, Peter_O and 29 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline mansaxel

• Super Contributor
  • SA0XLR
    • My very static home page
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #58050 on: May 09, 2020, 05:28:15 am »

Aieeee... commiserations... I think we've all been there, or thereabouts.

I still have a PM3218 in the repair queue that has a jigsaw puzzle for a display bezel, and a control panel whose concavity is definitely not in the original design...   |O

My Marconi VTVM came in more or less a plastic bag with some padding, courtesy of GSP, UK division. But it works and is reasonably in spec too.

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #58051 on: May 09, 2020, 07:34:40 am »
Quote from: med6753

You can't even tell that there's ringing with either sample. What all you've done here is to prove that a 40-year-old scope still has value.  :-DD

mnem
 :horse:
That Siglent only has a 50MHz B/W. I would cut it SOME slack. ;D
I wouldn't  >:D :-DD

Why not? Just cuz it's med...?  :-DD

In all honesty... that signal on med's 2465 is a gorgeous example. Brings a tear to my eye; knowing this generation will never know the joy of actually SEEING the signal, even through a "microscope lens", as opposed to seeing a transcript of what a computer subroutine THINKS it sees and extrapolates from datapoints. :'(

mnem
 |O
Turn off interpolation, and look at the unconnected dots. Then you can see what you can't see.

Being able to figure out what you can't see is not the same as being able to see it. Those dots are the same kind of lie as the statistics on any kind of chart used by any politician to sell whatever big lie they're pushing at the moment. ;)

In what way are they a lie? You may misinterpret them, but that is a different problem.
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
« Reply #58052 on: May 09, 2020, 07:39:48 am »
Those dots are the same kind of lie as .............
Nope, they're what interpolation waveform reconstruction is based on, however any scope with a small memory depth will have lesser dots for interpolation to work with.
Yet it's always the operators understanding that allows settings to be made so to minimise interpolation errors.

Repetitive waveforms aren't usually a problem but fast edges and non-repetitive waveforms are.

-----------------------------------------------------
tautech
totally dotty !

A collection of datapoints is just that; it is NOT reality, but rather an approximation thereof.  You don’t know what you’re NOT seeing in the spaces between those datapoints; all you have is the computer’s best guess. As med’s example makes abundantly obvious, in some cases that guess is pure shite.

Neither is an analogue trace reality; it is only an approximation thereof. Start by considering the effects of the probes on the circuit, then move onto frequency and (especially) phase distortions.

(Geocities font omitted for legibility :) )
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".

Offline McBryce

• Super Contributor
« Reply #58053 on: May 09, 2020, 08:15:07 am »
Hello, my name is BreakingOhmsLaw and i suffer from GAS.
Today if have something for you, that probably is new even to this forum.

I present to you *drumroll* the Citizen CQT-101-C Quartz tester.
What is it? Well, basically its a frequency counter for wrist watches. It comes with a little pedestal for you to place a wrist watch on. Theres a hypersensitive microphone inside that listens for the watch ticking.
The ticks are measured with high precision, and the device shows the deviation of the watch in seconds per day.
There no CPU inside. It's just logic gates and counters, making clever use of an 4.320 MHz OCXO. In case you are wondering why:
24h x 60m x 60s x 50 = 4.320.000
I will be doing  teardown and restore thread that i'll link in later.

Edit:
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/teardown-and-restauration-of-a-citizen-cqt-101-c-quartz-tester/
(Attachment Link)
(Attachment Link)

Never even knew this existed and now 30 seconds later I'm looking for one on ebay... Want.

Were there other companies who made such magic?

McBryce.
30 Years making cars more difficult to repair.

Offline AVGresponding

• Super Contributor
  • Exploring Rabbit Holes Since The 1970s
« Reply #58054 on: May 09, 2020, 08:25:46 am »
Hello, my name is BreakingOhmsLaw and i suffer from GAS.
Today if have something for you, that probably is new even to this forum.

I present to you *drumroll* the Citizen CQT-101-C Quartz tester.
What is it? Well, basically its a frequency counter for wrist watches. It comes with a little pedestal for you to place a wrist watch on. Theres a hypersensitive microphone inside that listens for the watch ticking.
The ticks are measured with high precision, and the device shows the deviation of the watch in seconds per day.
There no CPU inside. It's just logic gates and counters, making clever use of an 4.320 MHz OCXO. In case you are wondering why:
24h x 60m x 60s x 50 = 4.320.000
I will be doing  teardown and restore thread that i'll link in later.

Edit:
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/teardown-and-restauration-of-a-citizen-cqt-101-c-quartz-tester/
(Attachment Link)
(Attachment Link)

Welcome to Test Equipment Anonymous, aka The Enablers Association. Expect an acceleration of your symptoms!

That's an intriguing piece of gear, the stated measurement range had me raising an eyebrow, since if a watch is out by 399 seconds a day, I'm not sure what you could do about it.
Surely any trimmer adjustment can't have that big an effect!   :o

Oh, and SOMEONE here introduced me to Crabbies Alcoholic Ginger Beer. I don't know who you are, but I will find you, and I will breathe ketones on you!   :-DD

Well I introduced you to The Ginger Grizzly, not Crabbies Ginger Beer, don't tell me that you went and brought some Crabbies then  :palm:, They are like chalk and cheese  >:D

I'll get around to that eventually I expect, but Crabbies is sold by Sainsbury's so it's easy just to add it to my weekly delivery.

EDIT: @bd139, didn't you get a UT210 the other week? There's a thread in Test Equipment where someone is having problems with theirs, thought you might have an insight.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2020, 09:00:46 am by AVGresponding »
nuqDaq yuch Dapol?
Addiction count: Agilent-AVO-BlackStar-Brymen-Chauvin Arnoux-Fluke-GenRad-Hameg-HP-Keithley-IsoTech-Mastech-Megger-Metrix-Micronta-Racal-RFL-Siglent-Solartron-Tektronix-Thurlby-Time Electronics-TTi-UniT

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #58055 on: May 09, 2020, 10:03:13 am »

Oh, and SOMEONE here introduced me to Crabbies Alcoholic Ginger Beer. I don't know who you are, but I will find you, and I will breathe ketones on you!   :-DD

Well I introduced you to The Ginger Grizzly, not Crabbies Ginger Beer, don't tell me that you went and brought some Crabbies then  :palm:, They are like chalk and cheese  >:D

I'll get around to that eventually I expect, but Crabbies is sold by Sainsbury's so it's easy just to add it to my weekly delivery.

EDIT: @bd139, didn't you get a UT210 the other week? There's a thread in Test Equipment where someone is having problems with theirs, thought you might have an insight.

Oh! Yeah? Good luck with getting your hands on some Ginger Grizzly, it was part of the Lidl Beer Festival which is now over and when I was there yesterday with the intention of getting more, it was all gone. You clearly are not a regular to Lidl's then, when they get these special items in, they are only on offer for a few days and once the limited stock has gone, its gone until the next festival, next year but not guaranteed  that they will offer the same offerings.

I also have a UT210E along with simply loads of other members here and doing a quick search it seems that it's quite common but Fungus has already posted a link to Joe Smith's YT channel on how he solved the issue.

Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

The following users thanked this post: AVGresponding

Offline AVGresponding

• Super Contributor
« Reply #58056 on: May 09, 2020, 10:16:40 am »
I don't use Lidl at all; it would be horribly inconvenient for one thing. The Big Smoke probably has many branches, but The Big Rain has few.

I found another Thandar baby scope to get overbid on...   :-X

Here's one for los americanos to have a nosy at, I'd have a bid myself if it weren't for ridiculously complicated and expensive shipping issues between there and here:  https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/C167871-Lot-3-HP-Triple-Output-DC-Power-Supply-6236A-6236B-6V-2-5A-20V-0-5A/333593869571
nuqDaq yuch Dapol?
Addiction count: Agilent-AVO-BlackStar-Brymen-Chauvin Arnoux-Fluke-GenRad-Hameg-HP-Keithley-IsoTech-Mastech-Megger-Metrix-Micronta-Racal-RFL-Siglent-Solartron-Tektronix-Thurlby-Time Electronics-TTi-UniT

The following users thanked this post: BU508A, bd139

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #58057 on: May 09, 2020, 10:18:13 am »
Today might turn out to be a good day in the specmaster household then, postman has just been and YAH, I now have my MAX134. Funny that though, I had already checked the tracking and it was still showing as being at the Inward MC and would soon sent be to my local delivery office,  :wtf:

Anyway, I have inspected it with in the antistatic tube that it was packed and it seems to be brand new despite the description stating its USED. Maybe its a customs defeating statement, who knows?

Now to find out if its the solution I need, but first I need to go and prepare the BBQ for another one this evening. Already had more BBQ's this month than I had all last year  :-+ :-DD
« Last Edit: May 09, 2020, 10:20:00 am by Specmaster »
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #58058 on: May 09, 2020, 10:36:51 am »
I don't use Lidl at all; it would be horribly inconvenient for one thing. The Big Smoke probably has many branches, but The Big Rain has few.

Here's one for los americanos to have a nosy at, I'd have a bid myself if it weren't for ridiculously complicated and expensive shipping issues between there and here:  https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/C167871-Lot-3-HP-Triple-Output-DC-Power-Supply-6236A-6236B-6V-2-5A-20V-0-5A/333593869571

Big Rain  :-DD, I'm in the same position as you, Chelmsford and Halifax both cities only have a single store each. The Big Smoke, refers to London, I guess? well yes, they do have more but not as many as people would expect.

I can't find this Thandar baby scope to which you make reference, not that I'd won't to compete with you on it, I already a couple of small form scopes, 1 DSO and 1 analogue, no room for more  :-DD
Who let Murphy in?

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
« Reply #58059 on: May 09, 2020, 10:39:11 am »
Today's "couldn't resist it" acquisition: Keysight 34138A probes.

Standard nice silicone probes, plus two sizes of grippers and a rather fine (in both senses) insulated spear. The exposed part of that is only 3mm long, and it is pleasingly sharp. Not bad for £15 delivered.

The following users thanked this post: BU508A, mnementh, Specmaster, bd139, Kosmic, AVGresponding

Offline SilverSolder

• Super Contributor
« Reply #58060 on: May 09, 2020, 11:43:01 am »

Standard nice silicone probes, plus two sizes of grippers and a rather fine (in both senses) insulated spear. The exposed part of that is only 3mm long, and it is pleasingly sharp. Not bad for £15 delivered.

I like the retractable sheath idea - so you can plug the probes into equipment that uses "normal" banana posts - is that right?

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #58061 on: May 09, 2020, 11:53:06 am »

There's a couple of 6236B's on UK ebay. You might have to fight me for one though  8)

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster

Offline AVGresponding

• Super Contributor
« Reply #58062 on: May 09, 2020, 11:59:33 am »
Nah, I'm not a big fan of wobbly pointy readouts.

I only liked the low price of a batch of 3 (assuming no-one bids it up ofc).

Nice, even better value than the Pomona ones. Where from?
« Last Edit: May 09, 2020, 12:02:43 pm by AVGresponding »
nuqDaq yuch Dapol?

Offline GreyWoolfe

• Supporter
  • NW0LF
« Reply #58063 on: May 09, 2020, 01:22:21 pm »

Alcoholic ginger beer sounds interesting.  I like ginger beer on its own or in Moscow Mules.  On the topic of booze, a friend of Mrs GreyWoolfe has a husband who makes flavored moonshine.  At work she received a quart each of root beer and apple pie shine as a gift.  She tried to pay husband but he said that wife would kill him if he took it, he was originally asking $30 USD a quart which Mrs GreyWoolfe was happy to pay as she got a teaser last week, a wee pint of the root beer that she fell in love with( I enjoyed it also).  The root beer could be stronger but the apple pie shine really does taste like apple pie, just with a good kick in the balls if you drink it too fast.  Served over ice per recommendation, it is a nice sipping beverage.
"Heaven has been described as the place that once you get there all the dogs you ever loved run up to greet you."

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
« Reply #58064 on: May 09, 2020, 01:42:32 pm »
I like the retractable sheath idea - so you can plug the probes into equipment that uses "normal" banana posts - is that right?

These aren't retractable, so they won't fit my big bench equipment. For such equipment I generally prefer stackable bananas.

Nice, even better value than the Pomona ones. Where from?

Fleabay one off. Notice them, think 15s, buy them :)
« Last Edit: May 09, 2020, 02:47:32 pm by tggzzz »

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #58065 on: May 09, 2020, 02:28:55 pm »
Quote from: med6753

You can't even tell that there's ringing with either sample. What all you've done here is to prove that a 40-year-old scope still has value.  :-DD

mnem
 :horse:
That Siglent only has a 50MHz B/W. I would cut it SOME slack. ;D
I wouldn't  >:D :-DD

Why not? Just cuz it's med...?  :-DD

In all honesty... that signal on med's 2465 is a gorgeous example. Brings a tear to my eye; knowing this generation will never know the joy of actually SEEING the signal, even through a "microscope lens", as opposed to seeing a transcript of what a computer subroutine THINKS it sees and extrapolates from datapoints. :'(

mnem
 |O
Turn off interpolation, and look at the unconnected dots. Then you can see what you can't see.

Being able to figure out what you can't see is not the same as being able to see it. Those dots are the same kind of lie as the statistics on any kind of chart used by any politician to sell whatever big lie they're pushing at the moment. ;)

In what way are they a lie? You may misinterpret them, but that is a different problem.

The lie is the one you tell yourself when you say that those dots are an accurate representation. What they are is the equivalent of driving down the highway at speed with your eyes closed, and blinking them open at periodic intervals.

Neither is an analogue trace reality; it is only an approximation thereof. Start by considering the effects of the probes on the circuit, then move onto frequency and (especially) phase distortions.

(Geocities font omitted for legibility :) )

That distortion is the "microscope lens" I referred to earlier. The difference is now you're COMPOUNDING that same exact distortion by the above described "driving down the highway and blinking", etc scenario. Then, to make it even more fun, we feed those periodic single frames into a computer morph program, and call what it spits out "reality". In essence, it's stop-motion photography.

In other words: DSO is like Claymation; Analog is like looking at the world through a camera lens.
;)

mnem
Geocities font reinstated out of sheer perversity. >:D
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline Kosmic

• Super Contributor
« Reply #58066 on: May 09, 2020, 02:29:00 pm »
Got 2 ebay sellers from asia canceling my order recently saying they can't ship to Canada anymore due to the current situation :rant: It's true that they are particularly slow these days.

If I can't get parts to fix and/or build anything, it's going to get really boring around here  :-\

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #58067 on: May 09, 2020, 02:55:00 pm »

@SilverSolder: I think those are not retractable, but rather just the usual cheap vinyl caps that come on both ends of all probe leads nowadays.

@tggzzz: Did you get the full set above for that price, or was it missing the (+) spear and grabbit? I've shopped that set before; it's still a reasonable value at the regular price of ~US$30 from Newark, et al.

mnem
« Last Edit: May 09, 2020, 02:58:05 pm by mnementh »
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
« Reply #58068 on: May 09, 2020, 02:57:39 pm »
In other words: DSO is like Claymation; Analog is like looking at the world through a camera lens.
Geocities font reinstated out of sheer perversity. >:D

Just as well that movies are "analogue" and not "digitised" at Xfps. Shame the anti-aliasing filter technology is deficient.

(Geocities abortion deleted for simplicity)

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
« Reply #58069 on: May 09, 2020, 03:02:58 pm »
@tggzzz: Did you get the full set above for that price, or was it missing the (+) spear and grabbit? I've shopped that set before; it's still a reasonable value at the regular price of ~US$30 from Newark, et al.

The bag was still sealed, and I had to cut it to get at the probes. Even then opening the ziplock was a bit of a pain. Couldn't be better :)

Your picture is what I received, down to the two black and one red grabbers. Yes, it seemed like sufficiently good value that I offered £12 against his £13.50 asking price.

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #58070 on: May 09, 2020, 03:07:23 pm »
You're almost as unrepentant a cheap-arse as I am.  :-DD

Yes, you should notice I DID say analog was like "looking at the world through a camera lens", not the simpler analogy of Claymation vs Live Cinematography. There is a huge but subtle difference; both in the nature of what is seen and how it can be preserved for posterity. I DO remember the nightmare of trying to capture waveforms on a 2465 with that blasted Polaroid contraption.
;)

mnem
};=)~~~~<

Offline drussell

• Super Contributor
  • Hardcore Geek
« Reply #58071 on: May 09, 2020, 03:22:04 pm »
Alcoholic ginger beer sounds interesting.

Indeed.  I make simple ginger ale all the time but have never tried fermenting longer than about 2-3 days, basically just enough to make it carbonated for more of a soda-pop style ginger ale.   I've been thinking of trying it much longer, though not all the way to dryness...  I don't think Nicole started another batch of wine yet so I think we have a spare fermenter, carboy and trap and stuff right now....

I should try it just to see what happens even though I have no idea what I'm doing, just make it up as I go.  :)

I've never even checked with a hydrometer to see if it's even mildly alcoholic after the couple days I usually do for the regular ginger ale.

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #58072 on: May 09, 2020, 04:14:50 pm »
4503 Update time.
Plugged in the replacement MAX134 and...... it just displays "OR" on each and every range, either it was duff one that I purchased or it has zapped with static despite it being packed in an anti-static tube. Removed and plugged back the old one and everything is back to where it was before, so I'm no further forward with this  :palm:

I have opened a dispute with the seller via eBay  |O
Who let Murphy in?

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
« Reply #58073 on: May 09, 2020, 04:19:29 pm »
I DO remember the nightmare of trying to capture waveforms on a 2465 with that blasted Polaroid contraption.

Ditto, 465 and 7000 series in my case.

I also remember the "joys" of analogue storage scopes, and why digitising scopes were jumped on. Remembering that, I recently flogged an imperfect but working 464 for £40 more than I paid for it :)

I also remember the crap limitations of even high-end digitising scopes before this milennium, and why people held onto their analogue scopes.

Offline 0culus

• Super Contributor
  • Electronics, RF, and TEA Hobbyist
« Reply #58074 on: May 09, 2020, 04:21:51 pm »
I rather enjoy my HP 1727A. The storage is fairly useless, but variable persistence is excellent for working with low frequency signals when you need the timebase turned way down.  :-+

The following users thanked this post: Neomys Sapiens

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf