Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 16692282 times)

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #58000 on: May 08, 2020, 03:42:55 pm »

You can't even tell that there's ringing with either sample. What all you've done here is to prove that a 40-year-old scope still has value.
  :-DD

mnem
 :horse:

That Siglent only has a 50MHz B/W. I would cut it SOME slack. ;D
An old gray beard with an attitude.

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #58001 on: May 08, 2020, 03:44:16 pm »
Ok this week's challenge. I'm working on one of those Lenovo M600 boxes entirely as a desktop this week. Running Debian + i3 mostly terminal stuff. Firefox is a bit laggy but everything else is quite fast and it'll play a 1080p stream on YouTube quite happily. Actually posting this from one now. This is the first time I've forced myself to use i3 as a desktop environment and it's rather good. Better than tmux  ::)

Yeah.... this workflow was what Winblows was trying to make the new "standard" with the Metro interface; unfortunately, the whole concept here is that the user actually bothers to think a little and gets to a point where they KNOW what's going on in a desktop they can't see.  :o *cue spooky graveyard scene/music*

You, know; rather than just having the morning's pablum spoon-fed to them on a single lazy-Suzan chalkboard, which is what the marching morons WANT. They want that so desperately they damn near revolted and destroyed MS before they wised up and gave the dolts back their single, pre-chewed desktop covered with their own e-litter composed of a decade's worth of random CRAP.
:palm:

mnem
What. The. Fuck. You have shortcuts on your desktop to fucking Compuserve, FFS! FORE!!!

LMAO. I got a Happy Noodle Boy vibe from your rant  :-DD

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, Specmaster

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #58002 on: May 08, 2020, 03:44:54 pm »

Okay... press the 20MHz BW limit button on your 2465. What does that 10MHz signal look like then?

mnem
 :popcorn:
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #58003 on: May 08, 2020, 03:48:16 pm »

Okay... press the 20MHz BW limit button on your 2465. What does that 10MHz signal look like then?

mnem

I don't have the 2465 currently up on the bench but I can tell you that pressing the 20MHz B/W limit switch results in a waveform FAR worse than what the Siglent produces and no visible ringing.

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #58004 on: May 08, 2020, 03:50:16 pm »
...You, know; rather than just having the morning's pablum spoon-fed to them on a single lazy-Suzan chalkboard, which is what the marching morons WANT. They want that so desperately they damn near revolted and destroyed MS before they wised up and gave the dolts back their single, pre-chewed desktop covered with their own e-litter composed of a decade's worth of random CRAP. :palm:

mnem
What. The. Fuck. You have shortcuts on your desktop to fucking Compuserve, FFS! FORE!!!

LMAO. I got a Happy Noodle Boy vibe from your rant  :-DD

High praise, sir... high praise indeed. Thank you very much!  :-+

mnem
*shamelessly snurches "sacks of bladder waste" for his own repertoire*
« Last Edit: May 08, 2020, 03:53:19 pm by mnementh »
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

The following users thanked this post: bd139

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #58005 on: May 08, 2020, 03:58:05 pm »

mnem
I don't have the 2465 currently up on the bench but I can tell you that pressing the 20MHz B/W limit switch results in a waveform FAR worse than what the Siglent produces and no visible ringing.

Hmmm... I can't replicate the experiment myself unfortunately... but IME, the 20MHz B/W does little to the waveform aside from rejecting a lot of common-mode noise at these frequencies. Maybe I misremember... it's been so long since I touched my poor abandoned babies... :o

mnem
 :'(

Offline McBryce

• Super Contributor
« Reply #58006 on: May 08, 2020, 03:59:26 pm »
Since we're on the subject of bottom feeder DSO's how does my Siglent SDS 1052 DL perform at high frequencies?

Against the "standard" 2465 with 10MHz square wave.

10MHz. Pretty good.

How about 20MHz? Not too shabby.

You seriously need to do something with that 2465! At 10MHz on mine you could almost cut your finger on the corners. And that ringing isn't coming from the scope either. I'd have expected a better (and fairer - The Siglent is at 2V per division whereas the Tek is at 50mV per division!) setup from you med.

McBryce.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2020, 04:01:54 pm by McBryce »
30 Years making cars more difficult to repair.

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #58007 on: May 08, 2020, 03:59:51 pm »

mnem

Hmmm... I can't replicate the experiment myself unfortunately... but IME, the 20MHz B/W does little to the waveform aside from rejecting a lot of common-mode noise at these frequencies. Maybe I misremember... it's been so long since I touched my poor abandoned babies... :o

mnem
 :'(

I've done it and trust me.....all the high frequencies disappear and starts looking like a sine wave.

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #58008 on: May 08, 2020, 04:07:04 pm »

You seriously need to do something with that 2465! At 10MHz on mine you could almost cut your finger on the corners. And that ringing isn't coming from the scope either. I'd have expected a better (and fairer) setup from you med.

McBryce.

Gee whiz.....everyone's a critic today. That's the best square wave I've got. Heath IG-4244 Scope Calibrator. It has a rise time of approx 1ns and at higher frequencies it does have ringing on the trailing edge. I actually LIKE the fact that it has ringing on the tail because it gives me a good indication that the scope working to it's full bandwidth potential. I can see a marked difference vs 50MHz B/W, 100MHz B/W, 300MHz B/W, etc.

The following users thanked this post: bd139

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #58009 on: May 08, 2020, 04:08:37 pm »
I'm with McBryce on this one... there might be something wrong there. Whether it's the source or something in the frontend; I just remember mine being a lot squarer with 10MHz SQ, even with cheap probes. I'd do a comparison against the other channels, m'self.  :-//

mnem
« Last Edit: May 08, 2020, 04:10:11 pm by mnementh »

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #58010 on: May 08, 2020, 04:11:30 pm »
I'm with McBryce on this one... there might be something wrong there. Whether it's the source or something in the frontend; I just remember mine being a lot squarer with 10MHz SQ, even with cheap probes. I'd do a comparison against the other channels, m'self.  :-//

mnem

Absolutely not. It's working properly and you'll have to take my word on it. But if forced I'll whip out the 7904 and prove it.

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #58011 on: May 08, 2020, 04:14:31 pm »
I think you need to find a better square wave... just to be sure. >:D

mnem

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #58012 on: May 08, 2020, 04:17:06 pm »
I think you need to find a better square wave... just to be sure. >:D

mnem

I don't disagree. But for now it's serves my needs.  :P :P :-DD

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline McBryce

• Super Contributor
« Reply #58013 on: May 08, 2020, 04:26:51 pm »

mnem

Absolutely not. It's working properly and you'll have to take my word on it. But if forced I'll whip out the 7904 and prove it.

Ok, you went and made me do it, I've gone and set up my 2465 just for you. Here's a 10MHz square wave produced by a Siglent SDG2042X into my 2465, which incidentally has never been recapped and still has all the original Rifa madness in there as God intended it to be! Cracks or not!

McBryce.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2020, 04:29:13 pm by McBryce »

The following users thanked this post: edavid, mnementh

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #58014 on: May 08, 2020, 04:27:30 pm »

You can't even tell that there's ringing with either sample. What all you've done here is to prove that a 40-year-old scope still has value.
  :-DD

mnem
 :horse:

I wouldn't  >:D :-DD
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #58015 on: May 08, 2020, 04:51:34 pm »
In all honesty... that signal on med's 2465 is a gorgeous example. Brings a tear to my eye; knowing this generation will never know the joy of actually SEEING the signal, even through a "microscope lens", as opposed to seeing a transcript of what a computer subroutine THINKS it sees and extrapolates from datapoints. :'(

mnem
 |O

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #58016 on: May 08, 2020, 04:54:53 pm »
I'm with you on that one, analogue traces are a of thing of beauty  :-DD
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

The following users thanked this post: BU508A, mnementh

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #58017 on: May 08, 2020, 05:03:05 pm »

mnem

Ok, you went and made me do it, I've gone and set up my 2465 just for you. Here's a 10MHz square wave produced by a Siglent SDG2042X into my 2465, which incidentally has never been recapped and still has all the original Rifa madness in there as God intended it to be! Cracks or not!

McBryce.

Well gee....that's pretty lousy compared to my 10MHz square wave. I think YOU need a better signal source.  :P :-DD

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #58018 on: May 08, 2020, 05:17:07 pm »

mnem

McBryce.

Well gee....that's pretty lousy compared to my 10MHz square wave. I think YOU need a better signal source.  :P :-DD
I'm inclined to agree with you, yours is much closer to a square with even with the ringing, I can't get anything as close as yours with my gear.
Who let Murphy in?

Offline McBryce

• Super Contributor
« Reply #58019 on: May 08, 2020, 06:08:48 pm »
I did mention that this is an untouched scope. All original capacitors and never been recalibrated. In that condition I'm amazed that it shows any trace! :D I must get around to finally servicing it. It's on my To-Do list :D

McBryce.

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #58020 on: May 08, 2020, 06:11:45 pm »
I did mention that this is an untouched scope. All original capacitors and never been recalibrated. In that condition I'm amazed that it shows any trace! :D I must get around to finally servicing it. It's on my To-Do list :D

McBryce.

The only work I did to that 2465 was replace the PSU capacitors and replace the fan. Haven't touch any calibrations.

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster

Offline McBryce

• Super Contributor
« Reply #58021 on: May 08, 2020, 06:25:06 pm »
The slow rise time may also be the dodgy BNC cable I used. Maybe I should try some other connection?

McBryce.

Offline duckduck

• Frequent Contributor
  • 20Hz < fun < 20kHz, and RF is Really Fun
« Reply #58022 on: May 08, 2020, 06:39:53 pm »
Hey, Ive also got a Topward 4000 and I kind of like it because of the analog meters. That I have this does reinforce my claim to having an outbuilding full of 'treasures'.  ;D

Same model 4303, too. Those meters are pretty, indeed. Looks like your supply has not been abused. Mine isn't anyway near "Israeli Ebay electronics seller" territory, but it needs some TLC.

Oh, hey, I just figured out what the "Tracking" mode is. Hook both channels together and it goes 0-60V based off of the controls on the master channel. That's pretty cool. I'm a noob.

Offline AVGresponding

• Super Contributor
  • Exploring Rabbit Holes Since The 1970s
« Reply #58023 on: May 08, 2020, 06:49:51 pm »
Who the hell calibrates a scope? That's like putting lipstick on a pig; it might make it superficially more attractive, but it's still just bacon walking.   :-\

Oh, and SOMEONE here introduced me to Crabbies Alcoholic Ginger Beer. I don't know who you are, but I will find you, and I will breathe ketones on you!   :-DD

EDIT: Watching this on yt, heartliy recommend it. What a legend, what a loss   :'(
« Last Edit: May 08, 2020, 06:54:35 pm by AVGresponding »
nuqDaq yuch Dapol?
Addiction count: Agilent-AVO-BlackStar-Brymen-Chauvin Arnoux-Fluke-GenRad-Hameg-HP-Keithley-IsoTech-Mastech-Megger-Metrix-Micronta-Racal-RFL-Siglent-Solartron-Tektronix-Thurlby-Time Electronics-TTi-UniT

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #58024 on: May 08, 2020, 06:53:37 pm »
LOL don't drink too much of that shit. Fight juice  :-DD

As for scope calibration, I sort of agree. There are better instruments at measuring every single parameter that a scope can measure. It's a jack of all trades instrument. But it's nice to know what you're looking at is within 5% of reality (disclaimer: depending on the obvious characteristics of the oscilloscope of course)

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf