Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 16692311 times)

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
  • Toys so very many Toys.
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #57975 on: May 08, 2020, 07:24:46 am »

I was another of those 24. The size was making me hesitate, possibly hoping it would get relisted at a lower price and then I would HAVE to buy it despite the size!

McBryce.

Lightweight  :-DD

Go a Valhalla AC V an I solution before you start thinking of size or weight becoming an issue  ;)
Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #57976 on: May 08, 2020, 07:47:02 am »
Damn... I was hoping you'd decide you HATE that XDS3202E and sell it to me for what you have innit.  :-DD

Looks like the memory depth is only referred to as "10K Max Record Length" with 8-bit ADC; even with that res on one channel that seems pitifully small, and they actually have it configured to capture both channels at that rate...?

Or is it 10,000 points, with an 8-bit resolution, so 10KB...? Still seems  ridiculously small...
:palm:

mnem
*toddles off to look for some new juice*
Nope, one channel only has the full 10Kpts and if both are active they have to share it !

Dafuq? Even my steam-powered TDS420A which everyone disses when I mention it has 120Kpts...

Heck, even the PM99 has 30Kpts...   :-DD

:)
Just looked up what my first DSO a Tek TDS2012B had and it was just:
Record Length = 2500 samples for each channel !  :-DD

FFS, I thought it was the flashiest thing when I got it 2nd hand in great condition and I was gunna set the world on fire with it. Instead it now lies busted in the repair pile.  ::)
For a similar price they sold new for back then you can now get a DSO with 200 Mpts of memory and at least twice the sampling rate.  :o
Avid Rabid Hobbyist.
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #57977 on: May 08, 2020, 08:05:22 am »
All this bellyachin.  :-// I take the cake for slow.

Tek 2430. 100 megasamples/sec. Record length = 1024.  :palm:

And you thought yours sucked?  :-DD
An old gray beard with an attitude.

The following users thanked this post: tautech, mnementh, bd139

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #57978 on: May 08, 2020, 08:31:11 am »

Go a Valhalla AC V an I solution before you start thinking of size or weight becoming an issue  ;)

I like your arrangement of TEA and some bags of coffee beans. This is so ... harmonic.  :-DD  :-+
“Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought. It always defeats order, because it is better organized.”            - Terry Pratchett -

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
« Reply #57979 on: May 08, 2020, 08:33:53 am »

I like your arrangement of TEA and some bags of coffee beans. This is so ... harmonic.  :-DD  :-+

Lessens the risk of toppling shelving by Bean Ballast  ;) Think there is nearly 200kg on the bottom shelf.
Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

Offline AVGresponding

• Super Contributor
  • Exploring Rabbit Holes Since The 1970s
« Reply #57980 on: May 08, 2020, 08:38:10 am »

Wow, that sample memory is gonna fill up fast!   :o

I know I promised noise measurements on the accidentally purchased TTi EX354D last week, but as they say, better late than never.
Just did some quick and dirty tests:

At 5V out, either channel, quiescent ripple is below what the PM99 can measure, and loaded to 1.5A, V drops to 4.97, and I get around 1mV rms ripple, but the PM99 can't lock on to it properly, too low a level.

At 30V out, there's a bit of noise with no load, around 30mV or so, with the frequency wobbling around from a few hundred kHz to 9MHz or so.
With a 1A load, the V out drops to 29.98, and the noise changes to less than 10mV but with a regular 100kHz pulse of around 40 or 50mV pk-pk.

All in all, pretty respectable from a cheap-ish smps bench psu.
nuqDaq yuch Dapol?
Addiction count: Agilent-AVO-BlackStar-Brymen-Chauvin Arnoux-Fluke-GenRad-Hameg-HP-Keithley-IsoTech-Mastech-Megger-Metrix-Micronta-Racal-RFL-Siglent-Solartron-Tektronix-Thurlby-Time Electronics-TTi-UniT

The following users thanked this post: bd139

Offline mansaxel

• Super Contributor
  • SA0XLR
    • My very static home page
« Reply #57981 on: May 08, 2020, 08:40:22 am »

My ScopeMeter 123 has 512 per input with 25megasamples. Pixelated hell yeah.

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #57982 on: May 08, 2020, 09:21:56 am »
And now for Something Completely... ON TOPIC:

Looks like we have a new contender for "Worst cheap POS Oscilloscope available via the slow boat from China": MUSTOOL-MDS2112P on bang-em-good

:wtf: izzat... "10KHz memory depth"...? Can that actually be 10 Kilobits...? Furr Realllzzz?!?  :palm:

I think I'd rather have that CRO I posted about the other day... :o   

mnem
"I'm never surprised, but I am constantly amazed at the SHIT some people will try to sell."

It's a rebranded Owon SDS1000

https://www.owon.com.hk/products_owon_sds1000_series_super_economical_type_digital_oscilloscope

Talking about Owon, my XDS3202E has been working fine for the last few months. I 'm a bit surprise since I was not expecting much. Screen is great, features are limited but overall performance is good.
To be perfectly fair to this cheap scope, it is after all is said and done only an entry level device and for the money it does return a pretty good performance as far as you can tell from this video goes. Seems to be perfectly suited to someone like my whose interests are more audio based and I think it would be OK on my bench. What its longevity is going to be like, who knows?
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
« Reply #57983 on: May 08, 2020, 09:26:07 am »
Lockdown Friday in the Shack. There was no Salads Killed in the process. Burp  >:D

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, bd139, ArthurDent

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #57984 on: May 08, 2020, 09:30:44 am »
I’m actually sitting here working out that we’re going to have for dinner today and that has just decided the outcome  :-DD. Looks damn good that does

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
« Reply #57985 on: May 08, 2020, 09:48:35 am »
The Chook was Gluten Free and hence 'healthy'  ;D Mum was having Soup and Toast inside while I misbehave ;)

I don't use the Fryer in the house due to the pong but I haven't had commercial deep fried anything for years well worth the $60 AU pesos I paid for each of a pair and used for a couple of Cafe Years prior to dropping back to home use https://xjgroup.en.alibaba.com/product/2013689587-210416215/electric_deep_fryer_with_LVD_display_XJ_11301AO.html Fresh Vege oil at 190-200C depending what is going in is the important bit.

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #57986 on: May 08, 2020, 10:00:25 am »
You might end up with it free if you complain. I got a free PL330QMD because they packed it loose and it rattled around. Plug exploded and the master power switch was destroyed but this was a £3 fix. Complaining works at least 50% of the time. A similarly buggered HP 6216A power supply I received to yours was however (ebay user jvincent120) a pain in the arse to deal with the seller.
Good thing of much of the TTi stuff is that you can get spares. Rarely such luck when it comes to old boat anchors.

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #57987 on: May 08, 2020, 10:03:40 am »
True, perhaps unfortunately.

Ok this week's challenge. I'm working on one of those Lenovo M600 boxes entirely as a desktop this week. Running Debian + i3 mostly terminal stuff. Firefox is a bit laggy but everything else is quite fast and it'll play a 1080p stream on YouTube quite happily. Actually posting this from one now. This is the first time I've forced myself to use i3 as a desktop environment and it's rather good. Better than tmux  ::)

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #57988 on: May 08, 2020, 10:09:34 am »
The Chook was Gluten Free and hence 'healthy'  ;D Mum was having Soup and Toast inside while I misbehave ;)

I don't use the Fryer in the house due to the pong but I haven't had commercial deep fried anything for years well worth the $60 AU pesos I paid for each of a pair and used for a couple of Cafe Years prior to dropping back to home use https://xjgroup.en.alibaba.com/product/2013689587-210416215/electric_deep_fryer_with_LVD_display_XJ_11301AO.html Fresh Vege oil at 190-200C depending what is going in is the important bit.

I think I'd be dead in a week if I bought a fryer  :-DD

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, Specmaster

Offline McBryce

• Super Contributor
« Reply #57989 on: May 08, 2020, 10:58:04 am »

I was another of those 24. The size was making me hesitate, possibly hoping it would get relisted at a lower price and then I would HAVE to buy it despite the size!

McBryce.

Weight's not an issue, you only have to carry it once. Size (space to put it) is the issue.

McBryce.
30 Years making cars more difficult to repair.

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #57990 on: May 08, 2020, 11:26:27 am »
Decided to break the boredom and track my max134 chip from China to see how its progressed from Heathrow. Turns out that it has been sat there now for 6 days, 2 days at Customs and a further 4 days with Royal Mail in the hands of Royal Mail :palm: Any bets on how much longer its going to be before I receive it? :popcorn:
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline AVGresponding

• Super Contributor
  • Exploring Rabbit Holes Since The 1970s
« Reply #57991 on: May 08, 2020, 12:22:55 pm »
Decided to break the boredom and track my max134 chip from China to see how its progressed from Heathrow. Turns out that it has been sat there now for 6 days, 2 days at Customs and a further 4 days with Royal Mail in the hands of Royal Mail :palm: Any bets on how much longer its going to be before I receive it? :popcorn:

Hah, and I was just thinking of asking you if it arrived yet!   :palm:
nuqDaq yuch Dapol?
Addiction count: Agilent-AVO-BlackStar-Brymen-Chauvin Arnoux-Fluke-GenRad-Hameg-HP-Keithley-IsoTech-Mastech-Megger-Metrix-Micronta-Racal-RFL-Siglent-Solartron-Tektronix-Thurlby-Time Electronics-TTi-UniT

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #57992 on: May 08, 2020, 12:26:05 pm »
If it’s like RM around here it’s taking 3-4 days for first class and 5-12 days for 2nd class  :palm:

Online Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #57993 on: May 08, 2020, 01:29:35 pm »
I just found out today from a friend who ships a fair bit of stuff via Australia Post that outlets are no longer selling Express Post products or priority letter until further notice.

At least they are honest enough to not take the money for these services when they can't deliver.

Apparently, tracking scans are also being skipped - even ones for delivery.  Kinda makes you wonder what value it offers.

Offline Ero-Shan

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #57994 on: May 08, 2020, 01:54:46 pm »
You know you paid too much when ... no one else is interested to bid the starting price. |O

I'm very pleased to see that this nice calibrator has found a good home. Congrats to your acquisition.
Regarding the price: I think, it is reasonable. I don't know, why you were the only bidder on this item, because it
has been watched by 24 people (I was one of them ;-) ) but sometime you are the lucky guy.  :-)

I hope it will be useful for you. Yokogawa is usually building some good quality gear and I'm curious
how good this calibrator is. Hope to hear from you, soon.  :-+   :)

McBryce.

I agree with BU508A that Yokogawa or Japanese TE is usually rather good.

And yes, seeing 0 bids I thought about waiting and see it relisted at a lower price. But more often than not, either some idiot gets it in the last second, or it is relisted at the same price. This time I decided to be the idiot.

The size is quite okay, especially when you compare it to a Fluke. ;) With a mass of 23 kg it still qualifies as a proper boat anchor. Holding it with one arm and unwrapping all that bubble-wrap with the other was no easy task.

The following users thanked this post: Cubdriver, Specmaster

Offline Ice-Tea

• Super Contributor
    • Freelance Hardware Engineer
« Reply #57995 on: May 08, 2020, 02:36:24 pm »
For the Schlumberger fan-boys'ngals: a little teaser

Will be posting more about it later tonight in my "score" thread  ;D

The following users thanked this post: BU508A, Specmaster, Neomys Sapiens, bd139

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #57996 on: May 08, 2020, 02:56:34 pm »
   Looks like the memory depth is only referred to as "10K Max Record Length" with 8-bit ADC; even with that res on one channel that seems pitifully small, and they actually have it configured to capture both channels at that rate...?

Or is it 10,000 points, with an 8-bit resolution, so 10KB...? Still seems  ridiculously small...

mnem
*toddles off to look for some new juice*

Nope, one channel only has the full 10Kpts and if both are active they have to share it !

Yeah, that's exactly what I meant... ridiculously small for 1 channel, even at that poor resolution; but then divide that by 2 channels... what the hell good is it for? Repeating waveforms or very short, slow one-shot triggered events with large swings so you don't NEED a lot of resolution, right? :-//

All this bellyachin.  :-// I take the cake for slow.   Tek 2430. 100 megasamples/sec. Record length = 1024.  :palm:   And you thought yours sucked?  :-DD

Yebbut... that 2430 was introduced what...early 80s; so like 35 years separate the two.  :o  And which one do you suppose actually has a halfway decent, calibrated frontend to GET decent samples? I mean yeah, the Tek cost 20x as much (adjusted for inflation); but they were literally inventing (or bankrolling the invention thereof) the high-speed acquisition RAM (and a dozen other technologies) they were using at the time. Of course that's going to be expensive. We've seen quantum leaps in memory tech in just the last 2 decades... crazy fast memory is cheap as chips now. |O

Lockdown Friday in the Shack. There was no Salads Killed in the process. Burp  >:D

Welcome to bean's Heart-Attack Shack...   (says the guy who just made fried hamsteaks and oven-fried tater cubes with pumpernickel toast on the side for dinner) :-DD

mnem
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #57997 on: May 08, 2020, 03:30:53 pm »
Ok this week's challenge. I'm working on one of those Lenovo M600 boxes entirely as a desktop this week. Running Debian + i3 mostly terminal stuff. Firefox is a bit laggy but everything else is quite fast and it'll play a 1080p stream on YouTube quite happily. Actually posting this from one now. This is the first time I've forced myself to use i3 as a desktop environment and it's rather good. Better than tmux  ::)

Yeah.... this workflow was what Winblows was trying to make the new "standard" with the Metro interface; unfortunately, the whole concept here is that the user actually bothers to think a little and gets to a point where they KNOW what's going on in a desktop they can't see.  :o *cue spooky graveyard scene/music*

You know; rather than just having the morning's pablum spoon-fed to them on a single lazy-Suzan chalkboard, which is what the marching morons WANT. They want that so desperately they damn near revolted and destroyed MS before they wised up and gave the dolts back their single, pre-chewed desktop covered with their own e-litter composed of a decade's worth of random CRAP.

mnem
What. The. Fuck. You have shortcuts on your desktop to fucking Compuserve, FFS! FORE!!!
« Last Edit: May 08, 2020, 11:32:04 pm by mnementh »
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #57998 on: May 08, 2020, 03:34:29 pm »
Since we're on the subject of bottom feeder DSO's how does my Siglent SDS 1052 DL perform at high frequencies?

Against the "standard" 2465 with 10MHz square wave.

10MHz. Pretty good.

How about 20MHz? Not too shabby.

An old gray beard with an attitude.

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #57999 on: May 08, 2020, 03:40:18 pm »

You can't even tell that there's definite ringing in the source with either sample. What all you've done here is to prove that a 40-year-old analog scope still has value.
  :-DD

mnem
 :horse:
« Last Edit: May 08, 2020, 03:43:06 pm by mnementh »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf